• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh sells in 1 million (shipments + digital downloads) worldwide

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
It will be harder to attract casual fans and if they make the sequel easier, they will attract backlash from the hardcore fans who bought the first game. Curious to see which approach they will take here.

i dont mean make it easier. NG was never easy in that sense. I mean differentiate their game mechanics a bit more so people stop calling it samurai souls. Of course it will still have certain resemblances

postaboy

WTH! I recalled a few Youtubers that I follow calling it a flop in sales saying that it's a niche japanese game and Sony gamers won't buy it.

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
WTH! I recalled a few Youtubers that I follow calling it a flop in sales saying that it's a niche japanese game and Sony gamers won't buy it.

Are they master........?

Seems like a good improvement then, but not too shabby for NG2.

Yeah, they have to be especially happy about Nioh. The last game western gamers in particular associate with them is NG3. A game that made people question whether they'd ever be able to make a good action game without Itagaki. And this is really their response. It's even headed up by the same two directors as NG3 (Hayashi and Yasuda).

D i Z

I feel that it could have sold more with how fast it sold out and topped the Amazon charts.
There's no way to have known how well it could have done before going to print, and this is still really good. The blessings of having digital options is that moderate print runs for a game doesn't necessarily mean a dead stop on sales until more can be manufactured.

Three main DLC's. They're titled Dragon of the North, Japan's Best Warrior and Peaceful and Tranquil. But they'll obviously have updates along with that which add substantial content like PvP and next months higher difficulty missions.

schweet.

im done with the game myself but ill be hopping back when the DLC comes out.

That's really good right? Game has only been out a short while, and while it's not exactly niche, it clearly didn't have the budget of your typical AAA production either.

Congrats.

Adryuu

I guess it's pretty good for just one platform. I just bought it this week and it's better than both Ninja Gaiden and Onimusha so I hope it keeps growing.

RossoneR

Banned
Hey KT, how about you ship enough freakin game??

In my country (eu) its impossible to find it, and from some online retailers i buy usually.
Or price is crazy where s in stock.

Wagram

That's really good right? Game has only been out a short while, and while it's not exactly niche, it clearly didn't have the budget of your typical AAA production either.

Congrats.

and it's better than most AAA production titles. Budget alone doesn't make a great game.

I tried to buy it but Amazon doesn't have it instock still =\ ( only $47 for prime members, not paying $60 elsewhere because they can't make a damn disc)

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Played the demo and it totally wasn't my thing.

But it's great when new IP succeeds even if it's not a game you are particularly interested in.

and it's better than most AAA production titles. Budget alone doesn't make a great game.

I didn't say that and I didn't allude to it. Just making the point that while 1 million units sold might not seem like a lot in certain circumstances, for a game with the budget of Nioh, it's probably considered a large amount.

Espada

Fuck yes! If there's one game that deserves to sell well, it's definitely Nioh. This is a pretty niche title (Japanese Warring States era + Japanese mythology + challenging gameplay) so to see it reach this milestone is a good thing. Hopefully the DLC is as good as the main game, and we get Nioh 2 sooner rather than later.

Mrbob

Wonder how many lost sales due to lack of stock.

Was going to get this but couldn't find a copy. Now too close to Horizon Zelda Nier and Mass Effect.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Congrats Team Ninja, you deserve it for this fine game.

I'm honestly surprised it's doing so well, but I'm glad for them!

apparently the finished product bears little resemblance to the script he wrote after all the rewrites and stuff
lol, ya think? Somehow I don't see a Kurosawa script being about some foreign white dude slaying oni across Japan xD

FingerBang

I wasn't sure about buying this game at first but now I have to say they deserve all the praise. They've made a long, challenging, long, smart, long, exciting long game that lasts longer than similar games.

...I'd like to finish it and move to Nier Automata. :D

Top Bottom