• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh sells in 1 million (shipments + digital downloads) worldwide

Ashtar

This is good to know, Friday afternoon I couldn't find anyone to coop with and was wondering if the game flopped

Does anyone have sales numbers for something like Ninja Gaiden 2 or Ninja Gaiden Sigma?
I want so bad this game to be successful.

Oreiller

Does anyone have sales numbers for something like Ninja Gaiden 2 or Ninja Gaiden Sigma?
I want so bad this game to be successful.

It took 6 months for NG2 to ship 1 million copies, and I'm pretty sure it was the fastest selling of them all. Nioh is doing really well in comparison.

TrutaS

Happy for them and what this means for us. Another great franchise might have started and I'll welcome more games like this!!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This game is amazing. The most common complaint seems to be that it can't maintain the brilliance of its early hours across the full game, which may be true enough. But it's like a 50 hour game so that's impressive.

More games should have alphas that are actually alphas.

MKIL65

How did I not notice this thread until now?

I was hoping the game would sell well, after all those amazing reviews.

It would sell even more if Sony were not so incompetent. I live in a small country in Europe and most game shops didn't get even one copy, you could only buy the game at a German drug store chain (Mueller) and even there they only had 1 copy of the game in all of the 3 stores in our capital. I really don't know what they were thinking. Sure, most of us bought the digital version, but still, I prefer buying my games in physical form. Such a shame.

EDIT: Congrats on the 1 million though, well deserved!

Genuine question here but couldn't you simply buy it from an online store and have it delivered? I don't know the situation of where you live but surely in this day and age that's an option?

Lifeline

I remember in the PS3 days it was a success for Playstations niche exclsuives to even get a million. They've really turned things around.

ironcreed

Banned
Team Ninja are the first ones to successfully and respectfully take inspiration from the Souls series and do their own thing with it in a way that is fresh and exciting. Well deserved.

This game is amazing. The most common complaint seems to be that it can't maintain the brilliance of its early hours across the full game, which may be true enough. But it's like a 50 hour game so that's impressive.

TN listened to player feedback and it led to an amazing game. Devs should definitely do that more often.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
Coupled with the shortages they have had with retail supply, probably could have been higher. But still, great on them. I have 40 hrs or more invested and while i prefer the Souls games in almost every way, this is still really really good.

stn

I'm planning to get my copy as soon as I beat a few more games in my backlog. Looks awesome.

The final third might be the best part of the game, particularly because at that point it's finally fully realizing its own Tecmo atmosphere instead of being overwhelmingly "spooky coz Souls does that too". Hopefully a sequel follows that direction even more consistently. But I'd say it gradually gets better in general. There's not a lot of standard enemy types, but the constant variety in everything else makes up for it.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
Good for them - hope it has a long tail. Game didn't scratch the itch for me, but you can tell the dev team put in a lot of hard work and love into it - that deserves to be rewarded.

Kudo

Why is that? I'm halfway through the game(I think) and it's getting more addictive by the hour.

I too think it only gets better the further you get. Sure you're kicking more ass if you've spent time learning the mechanics and skills, but that's the beauty of it.

New IP, not FromSoft title, divided people with demos? These sales are incredible and it's still sold out in many places.
Well deserved, Team Ninja!

Fantastic number in a packed season. When the dust settles a lot of people will jump in. Sales will also boost these numbers.

Sony learned with the Demon's Souls mistake.

Congratz Team Ninja!

emalord

Great game hope it spawns a full franchise + spinoffs

A steampunk-shump-spinoff à la MUSHA ALESTE would really be appreciated, also as an in-game bonus of sort
(Always loved shuriken-throwing starships)

Why is that? I'm halfway through the game(I think) and it's getting more addictive by the hour.
Difficulty nosedives (courtesy of randomized loot) the further you get, the level design doesn't feel inspired (aesthetically, layout-wise or both) for most of the last two regions and Team Ninja's unwillingness to mix up enemy placement (despite having acceptable enemy diversity for a first entry) starts to wear little over the halfway point. Still a great game, but it would've been a less uneven total package if they didn't bother with some of the vapid RPG components and removed some of the mandatory fat (re: main missions) towards the tail-end.

Mupod

I actually dropped off it pretty fast. 3rd person action game overload. Nothing against it though, it's great.

Mikey Jr.

In my opinion, the game is a little too long. By region 4, I feel like you've seen most of what nioh offers and would have been a good end point imo.

Mind you've, I've been 100%ing every region, so that might factor into my feelings.

Still an amazing game though, no doubt about that.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
So where does it go from here A Sigma type upgrade like Ninja Gaiden? or full on Nioh 2?

The 'sigma upgrade' is the season pass they planned before launch. They'll bundle that together on disk with PVP update and call it a day. I'd assume after that they will be working on a bigger budgeted Nioh 2

Ah, I'm not buying this one (temporarily trading DS3 with my mate in exchange for this), but I'm glad to see it's doing so well, maybe we'll get some sort of "Souls-like" genre going so we can keep getting nice looking games like this.

Memento

It's the fruits of the market breakthrough of especially Bloodborne and Dark Souls 2/3.

A Bloodborne 2 could theoretically top 3 million worldwide on a single platform.

I would be surprised if Bloodborne hasnt already surpassed the 3 million mark.

On topic: amazing numbers for Nioh. Fantastic I would say.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Well deserved! Here's to another million soon and them some. Play it if you haven't already. Nioh is amazing and incredibly addictive due to the deep core mechanics. Team Ninja delivered.

Top Bottom