• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh sells in 1 million (shipments + digital downloads) worldwide

WESMAN

Banned
Awesome news! Loved it so much, I got my friend to grab a copy too so we could co-op! Definitely some of the most advanced and strategic twitch style gameplay I've experienced in an action game in quite some time.

Mendrox

Nice. Game is still sold out everywhere here in Hamburg. I am also not surprised cause the game is not niche after all these years of Souls games. People are always thirsty.

crimilde

Banned
Congrats Team Ninja, it's a fantastic game and you deserve the success. I contributed with one copy as a present for a friend and two copies for me (digital and physical)!

Congrats Team Ninja, you deserve it for this fine game.

I'm honestly surprised it's doing so well, but I'm glad for them!

lol, ya think? Somehow I don't see a Kurosawa script being about some foreign white dude slaying oni across Japan xD

Well, the script *was* called Oni. :D

Maledict

This game is so good, so very very good. Combat is SO much better than in souls games, and so much faster. Really good result!

eFKac

That's really surprising to me, considering it was extremely hard to get copies from our domestic Sony distribution.

They squandered the momentum here, there hasn't been a new shipment since launch and we were one of the few chains that even had Nioh.

IvorB

That's pretty good so congrats to Team Ninja. Could have been even better if they weren't contending with supply issue on the physical so I hope someone got sh*t on for that.

IvorB

It's different. I wouldn't say it's better.

It's better, straight up. There are things the Souls games do better than Nioh but on the combat Nioh has got Souls beat easy. In fact, I would go so far as to say it holds the crown for now as I can't think of any game with better hand-to-hand combat.

Awesome; considering it seems to have been undershipped hopefully it will power through 1 million sold to consumers before long. It's a high quality game and I hope it's a big success for Team Ninja, Tecmo Koei and Sony. Would be interesting to see the East vs. West sales split. Here in the UK it seemed like Sony was pushing it pretty hard.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Nice succesa story for all parties involved. I got my copy at launch but havent really had a chance to play it yet.

GeoramA

That's awesome, never expected this type of success when it was re-revealed at TGS 2015.

Team Ninja with an amazing comeback.

Ostrava04

well deserve, it's a great game. Hopefully if there's a sequel, they make it one connected long world instead of mission levels

Solrac

if im not wrong bloodborne took almost a year to sell 2 millions, and nioh sold the half in less than a month

Wollan

Well deserved.

Nioh's combat customization is jaw-droppingly deep.
All the various stances and totally separate trees of upgrades per weapon, magic, ninjutsu .etc is almost overwhelming initially but so well implemented.

If you miss the very Japanese-centric Tenchu games, their tinkering with items, and similarly adore the Soulslike games and their depth then this is pretty much your dream.

The 60fps also adds so much to the gameplay feel above FROM software. I really can't think of a better game than Nioh in regards to melee combat feel.

What FROM software excel at is their imposing Lovecraftion/Giger atmosphere and presentation (and the combat/gameplay still being awesome despite Nioh showing the way a bit).

Demon's/Dark Souls/Bloodborne is a broadsword: Impressive, brutal and intimidating. Patience and a cool head required.
Nioh is a katana: Precise, delicate and responsive. Study and practice and lots of it needed.

Kill3r7

if im not wrong bloodborne took almost a year to sell 2 millions, and nioh sold the half in less than a month

It took BB 6 months to sell through 2 million. This is shipped + digital but nonetheless it is mighty impressive considering the JP and UK numbers so far. I guess it did really well in the rest of the world and NA.

It's better, straight up. There are things the Souls games do better than Nioh but on the combat Nioh has got Souls beat easy. In fact, I would go so far as to say it holds the crown for now as I can't think of any game with better hand-to-hand combat.

So true. Nioh combat is much deeper than Souls.

Ninja Dom

This is exactly the type of game I would go for. Plus I'm a huge Ninja Gaiden fan and a Team Ninja fan in general. But I don't have a PS4.

Izuna

Banned
Well deserved

Loved this game

Can't wait for their BIG PATCH

~~

Justified my entire PS4 purchase (which to be fair was only £60 haha)

DtbEd1b.gif

Very well deserved.

jurec84

Unconfirmed Member
It would sell even more if Sony were not so incompetent. I live in a small country in Europe and most game shops didn't get even one copy, you could only buy the game at a German drug store chain (Mueller) and even there they only had 1 copy of the game in all of the 3 stores in our capital. I really don't know what they were thinking. Sure, most of us bought the digital version, but still, I prefer buying my games in physical form. Such a shame.

EDIT: Congrats on the 1 million though, well deserved!

I'm a little confused. That's a mix of sell-in and sell-through and are two very different things.

A million copies combined of both is pretty opaque. How many did it sell, not ship?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
You have been playing for over 10 hours a day during the last 18 days?

yes, don't judge. when i get home i turn it on and play, i sleep, go out, come back, play ect, i actually just turned it off 5 minutes ago. i have neglected basically every other game i own since i bought it. i actually feel kind of sad for them collecting dust.

Amused

6 months. And Bloodborne sold (well, shipped) 1 million in 10 days. They're pretty close on sales.

I guess the fact that there are some 30+ million more PS4s out there now will help Nioh in such a comparison, still, great sales for a great game!

Yu Narukami

yes, don't judge. when i get home i turn it on and play, i sleep, go out, come back, play ect, i actually just turned it off 5 minutes ago. i have neglected basically every other game i own since i bought it. i actually feel kind of sad for them collecting dust.
I'm not judging. There are so many good games releasing right now I wish could play 10 hours a day.

Good news and it's good to know that japanese developers can still achieve success on console. Hopefully other japanese devs take notice of this.

With the exception of variety of enemies it's a really great game.

DKHF

I'm a little confused. That's a mix of sell-in and sell-through and are two very different things.

A million copies combined of both is pretty opaque. How many did it sell, not ship?
We don't know how many it sold through exactly. Most publishers don't provide that information. Sell-in + digital sales is what most provide. But maybe I should have phrased it as "Nioh passes 1 million shipments + digital downloads", the vast majority get the idea though.

Gurish

It still sold out in Amazon, the game obviously far exceeded the publisher's expectations and it's a big success.

So happy for this game!

For people still having trouble finding it, go brick and mortar. I was able to walk in and pick it up at GS three days after launch.

Top Bottom