• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Thread: Defy Death

I can't remember at what point it happens, but I think after beating the cave (2nd stage) twilight mode is unlocked. It's a "hard mode" for the two main stages and the sidequest ("demon rush"), with new enemies, different spawns and obviously better loot. Only two out of the three are available at once and they rotate every day at midnight PST or something.

No, I meant the living walls. I just figured it out, though. Found two of them.

Is Nioh a PS "exclusive" like Bloodborne? Or is it just only being developed for PS4 right now and they might put it on other platforms later?

No idea, what we know for now it's a PS4 exclusive only.

Yep, afaik it goes by their type/color (positive/polite, neutral, negative/rude) and not specific gestures. The nearby grave tells you which one is wrong, so you should be able to make the wall go away with two tries.

Wait, what?! 0_0

Ogawa-san

Wait, what?! 0_0
There's usually a grave near those walls, it won't be from an actual player but an NPC. The reason of death (that every grave has) will be something like "Crushed by Nurikabe for his polite/neutral/rude behavior.". Nurikabe is the name of that wall thing, and the specific words will be colored the same way the gestures are, like neutral will be yellow. So you know that doing a gesture of that type will make the wall aggressive.

Wow! At least for me, the game is much better now, than in Alpha! o_O

Managed to beat the two bosses, and now I`m trying to kill the samurai, in the subquest that opens right after, but damn, that is impossible!

What it is the meaning of ~Mission Level~? The level I`m supposed to be, to have a fair challenge? Right now I`m lvl 14, and that quest is Lvl 30.

There's usually a grave near those walls, it won't be from an actual player but an NPC. The reason of death (that every grave has) will be something like "Crushed by Nurikabe for his polite/neutral/rude behavior.". Nurikabe is the name of that wall thing, and the specific words will be colored the same way the gestures are, like neutral will be yellow. So you know that doing a gesture of that type will make the wall aggressive.

Do you get anything for properly getting rid of the wall? Because it's not like they're hard to kill.

Holy shit that's an amazing detail. I thought it was just a 1 out of 3 guessing game.

I must say, Nioh's take on the Souls' "illusionary walls" and "mimic chest" has been great

Do you get anything for properly getting rid of the wall? Because it's not like they're hard to kill.

You get his loot without needing to fight him

Fireflu

Sloth II talisman + Water Sword II with dual katanas just destroys the bosses!

Sooo satisfying getting a perfect 100% hit streak on the 2nd boss and killing her in one move.

Cleared all twilight levels, got a unique design bow, elec katana and the works. Pretty much done. Beta lasted longer than quite a lot of games.

Then went back to bloodborne and kept getting stomped due to muscle memory being all wrong. Kept pressing the trackpad for menu for a good coupla hours too.

How do you know if a katana with 900/900 familiarity is better or worse than one with 0/900?

check item level and damage? The 0/900 will usually have a little less dmg for a while, but will allow you to gain skill poitns while getting fam, obv.

Fireflu

How do you know if a katana with 900/900 familiarity is better or worse than one with 0/900?

They definitely need to include the base damage info alongside the current damage level. I agree that it can be really hard to tell what is worth soul matching and whats not.

Kaisos

Yep, afaik it goes by their type/color (positive/polite, neutral, negative/rude) and not specific gestures. The nearby grave tells you which one is wrong, so you should be able to make the wall go away with two tries.

Sweet, I'll go try it now. Thanks!

Manu

i'm stuck against the second boss, any tips on builds, weapons, recommended level? She is too fast for axe it seems

I beat her with the axe.

I know it's probably what you're doing (or trying to do,) but don't attack unless you know it's completely safe. Never attack more than once or twice.

zma1013

So after i get hit and staggered, is there anything I can do?

Also, how long is the demo? I just started it up tonight and was going to try to beat it before it goes away.

Also, how long is the demo? I just started it up tonight and was going to try to beat it before it goes away.

I got a good 12 hours out of it, but I've got nothing better to do right now. Average is probably closer to 5, and only because you'll die a lot getting used to it.

If you're referring to the 'exhausted' state then no there's nothing you can do. Avoid getting hit when your stamina bar is in the red, even if you block it you'll still be exhausted.

If you mean the normal hit stagger, you can block out of the combo and then dodge out of the way, assuming you have the stamina for it.

MrDoctor

i'm stuck against the second boss, any tips on builds, weapons, recommended level? She is too fast for axe it seems
just finished that level tonight with my time off work. it would help if i had my video up, but i'll try my best to help out in text form.

if speed is the issue, there are several short windows of vulnerability to watch for: after the dive, after the whirlwind, after launching a paralysis wave, and when a grab whiffs. an axe might get one or two hits in before you go back on the defensive. when she's out of stamina, get a few powerful hits in before backing up a bit so she whiffs another grab. stay as close you can during a whirlwind, then immediately attack with a quick combo for a ki flux to remove the circle she creates. roll(dodge twice) to the side to avoid her dive. keep your guard up when stamina is available -- it WILL save your ass on at least one occasion.

How best to counter the stun move of the twilight version of the bat-lady boss? She spams it like crazy and my needle supply runs low. Even dodging can be tight and a mistake means I'm frozen for way too long.

How best to counter the stun move of the twilight version of the bat-lady boss? She spams it like crazy and my needle supply runs low. Even dodging can be tight and a mistake means I'm frozen for way too long.

I find that staying within melee range of her would increase the chances of her using one of her melee combos instead. But watch out for the grab though.

Deku Tree

Loved the beta but yeah the bosses need some real balancing. This game is not gonna sell if all the bosses are one or two hit kills. That stuff should be reserved for "Dante must die" mode. Also I hope the beginning has more balance. Kinda boring to have to grind the first area until your appropriately leveled foe the rest of mission 1.

Ferr986

Fired Dark Souls 3 and man, does it need an action mode. I think like having 2 mods (30 fps and 60 fps) should be mandatory for these kind of games.

Cleared both Twilight Hino-Enma and the sub mission co-op. Did Enma in one go, somehow my summoned partners this time were amazing, or maybe I just didn't suck as much lol.

How do i get back to the level select screen?

[Himorogi Fragment] is an item that that allows you to return to the Overworld screen, but you would lose all your Amrita. It's infinite use and you should have it in you inventory.

[Himorogi Branch] also allows you to return to the Overworld screen, this time you will retain your Amrita, but it is a consumable item so there are limited numbers. You an get them from enemy drops among other places.

But there's really nothing stopping you from spending those Amrita before using the fragment.

Adryuu

Killed the vamp bitch on twilight mission solo on first try, had to use some elixirs but it was fairly easy. On the other hand, I was level 45 which should be ridicule to most other people still playing the beta.

Only Tachibana left now and I'll have every mission completed and every kodama found. I'm not even good at the game but I feel having improved a lot since starting, specially since alpha. The game is much better now, too. I knew I had to buy it at some point since alpha feedback and knowing they had removed weapon durability, but the more I play the more I'm getting convinced to buy day one.

Any tips for Tachibana? I usually go with single or dual katana and get my ass handed to me on less than a minute. At most I've done about 80% damage to him staying alive a couple minutes.

I think we should be able to buy elixir or have some estus like system in place. But Tachibana stage doesn't even have a shrine.

Also, Tachibana has too much damage for me still and too many super amor moves and moves that I just can't parry or even dodge nicely. And his stun state is gone almost instantly while I'm dead if I get out of stamina (well at least at first tries, now I've got better armor).

On another note, I've parried every human weapon bare handed and it's so cool, but, do we know which yoki are parriable? I guess every human sized is but, do larger yokai have moves you can parry with hands or with mid stance katana?

I still have to try most items and ninja/magic abilities. What does each element do? I have the earth katana now, it hurts aplenty and the blade is purple, loving it.

Adryuu

THIS FUCKING GAME.
Crashed in the custscene after i beat the harpy boss which took like 3 hours of play.

"Beta"

I had a bug yesterday where I cooped the woman boss and we beat her but she still had life bar in my session but I couldn't hurt her anymore and my coop companion was already in finishing stance, when you hold circle, I couldn't do shit, was trying for minutes and eventually had to quit the game to dash. :E

Any tips for Tachibana? I usually go with single or dual katana and get my ass handed to me on less than a minute. At most I've done about 80% damage to him staying alive a couple minutes.

Same advice as with Hino-Enma- Stay close to him, he's less likely to use his quick draw attack which would blow through your stamina and half your health. When he summons Raiken, either dodge sideways constantly or hide behind the rock, if you get shocked by Raiken, run around and hide till the effects wear off. When he buff his weapon with lightning I would recommend GTFO until it wears off.

Try to go for a stamina breaking strategy.

I think we should be able to buy elixir or have some estus like system in place. But Tachibana stage doesn't even have a shrine.

But we do have an Estus system- The shrine replenish your base number after every visit.

On another note, I've parried every human weapon bare handed and it's so cool, but, do we know which yoki are parriable? I guess every human sized is but, do larger yokai have moves you can parry with hands or with mid stance katana?

The only Yokai you can parry are the Skeleton warriors, which essentially have human movesets but a Yokai Ki mechanic. and I'm not even sure if you can parry the bigger ones.

I still have to try most items and ninja/magic abilities. What does each element do? I have the earth katana now, it hurts aplenty and the blade is purple, loving it.

Fire - DoT
Lightning - Slows attack
Water - Lowers defense (I think?)
Earth - Reduce Ki recovery
Wind - ???

If you manage to get two elemental effects to proc on one target it would destroy all of it's Ki.

I finished the beta and still don't know anything about the magic.

Just went through it using dodges and attacks. I recently figured out the devil trigger aka the dog jumping on the sword/fire buff.

Anyone care to point me to the right direction in terms of understanding magic and watnot.

Is the second boss more or less impossible with a hammer? Although I did last longer compared to 30 seconds when I used a spear before I stopped for the night.

Any tips for the second stage when you reach the bottom of the pit - where the Yokai all live (just a little way after the first checkpoint). I'm pretty much stuck there, since there are a ton of dangerous enemies that tend to attack in packs, and I only ever have 4 elixers at once). Is there a set path I can go, to avoid some of the enemies? I'm sure I could brute force it after playing a bit more, its more of a pain that I have to keep backtracking back down to the bottom of the pit, more than anything.

On a more general note - loving the beta so far. I had a number of issues with the alpha and bar the camera the problems have been all pretty much fixed.

Adryuu

But we do have an Estus system- The shrine replenish your base number after every visit.

What? Do you mean? Ahhhhh! I know you can have up to ten on you and you pick up more that go into the storage, but if you use up all ten and you have not anymore on storage, does it give you any number for free? If so, up to how many? I can't remember if I've been below three at any time.

Oh and thanks for all the comments!

Just went through it using dodges and attacks. I recently figured out the devil trigger aka the dog jumping on the sword/fire buff.

Anyone care to point me to the right direction in terms of understanding magic and watnot.

You can actually swap out the fox for another animal, there's three to choose from in the demo. You can change the guardian spirit in shrines.

Heartfyre

I'm increasingly frustrated at my inability to beat Hino-enma as the deadline for the beta approaches. Ordinarily, I'd put the game down until I'm better able to deal with it, but the deadline for the demo limits my ability to do that. The problem was, I went through the whole level using the axe, which is just too slow to use against the boss. So I have to grind amrita to get dual katanas up, which is fraying my patience by itself, but then I just hate the bosses moveset. The amount of stamina her blows suck away has a more detrimental effect than the health damage. And that goddamn ranged attack that stuns you infuriates me. If I get hit by it once, chances are, the fight's over. The amount of time between attacks is also insufficient to get a combo off yourself, not to mention get through that excruciatingly slow elixir-drinking animation.

I did find a video that shows how you can cheese the boss to victory, but I can't figure out how the move works. It looks like Water Sword, but he's using it in Mid Stance rather than High Stance, and even then, you can't move while using Water Sword. Any idea how you pull that ability off? I have everything learned under dual katanas.

What? Do you mean? Ahhhhh! I know you can have up to ten on you and you pick up more that go into the storage, but if you use up all ten and you have not anymore on storage, does it give you any number for free? If so, up to how many? I can't remember if I've been below three at any time.

The number you start with depends on the number of Kodama you've collected. In the demo, you can start with up to 6 if you collect all of the Kodama in each stage. You can increase your actual maximum held past 10 with the Medicine Man skill (which is a Ninjitsu skill IIRC).

There are two class of 'magic' in this game, Ninjutsu and Onmyou. You gain skill points mainly from leveling the Dexterity stat and Magic stat respectively.

Ninjutsu focuses on Explosives, Projectiles, Traps, Poison, Paralysis, Stealth... Essentially a Trickster.
Onmyou focuses on Element weapon buffs, Character buffs, Enemy debuffs, Spirit Guardians Summoning... Essentially a Spellcaster.

"Spells" in this game work as items, so they would take up a slot on the item quick select and have limited uses. All of them replenish upon visiting the shrine.

"Spells" also require to meet a "Jutsu Capacity" before it can be equipped. Each spell has a Jutsu Cost which would take up a portion of your Jutsu Capacity if you want to equip it. Basically it's like equip burden but for spells. The only way to increase Jutsu capacity is to raise Dexterity for Ninjutsu, and Magic for Onmyou.

Top Bottom