• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NIS America Finally Opens NIS Europe Store: It's not all rosy dood.

Axass

I can't fathom how they thought those prices would fly here. The fact they're locking people out of the american store, forcing them to buy at an increase of 33%, is also preposterous.

On one hand, that PR is utterly disappointing. On the other hand, this thread is just 3 pages long (2 for you 100ppp) which gives us an idea about how much people give a fuck about this. In other words, nothing will change at all, au contraire, I bet the store will end up being a success.

It's because the title of the thread isn't clear enough, it's not showing what a total shitfest this is. If you wanted people to read this the title would have to be something like "NIS Europe Store uses direct $ to £ conversion, no €, ignores complaints".

Stuart444

I love NISA, they have been good at putting out games over here, hell sometimes a few days earlier than America...

but these prices are horrific. Not used the US store but the first thing I did was check there to see if it was a 1 dollar = 1 pound and yup it was apart from the FFF LE at least. (which a thread someone posted earlier from the NISA forums mentioned...)

I will not be buying from the store until they do something about the pricing which is sad since I was tempted to get the PQ LE but it will probably be a similar price (the pic posted already shows it at the same price as the FFF LE so... yeah)

Their handling of this has certainly made the company go down a little on my favourite publishers list :/ but hopefully their EU store gets sorted out instead of just closing the store once things flop because of said prices (would not be surprised if they did that though).

We'll see...

edit: I can understand locking people out of their US store because even if prices were fair, some people would still buy from the US store because it's cheaper regardless. That would in turn hurt business for NISA over here... however the prices aren't fair and locking us from the US store just stings because of that.

They need to fix prices to make them fairer and do an import section of some sort for the non-game stuff that's US only since some folks would like to import those as well. :/

Someone got a screenshot of the mobile version of their store and it showed PQ for £69.99. I would say that the actual price might be different but...it seems in line with the rest of the store.

That's quite excesive, 88€, this edition has nothing to justify that price. Thank god I got not long ago a 2DS from the states, I will find my way to get the USA version.

Their Facebook and Twitter pages are being hammered, so there are more than those on GAF. It's still not very much, but then again how many people in Europe are hunting down LE copies of niche Japanese games?

France and Spain have large anime fanbases, and import stores are littered with this stuff. I live in the third biggest city of Spain (is not even that large (1000000 people aprox) and there are like 10-20 store of manga/anime/figure products and the majority of them import them.

It's a lie saying that Nisa and Atlus products would never be a succes if borught translated and at better proces in this two countries at least. The market is there, they just treat it like garbage.

It's almost as if we're slowly sliding back to SNES-era Europe. Slowly, but surely. Soon we won't get niche titles at all :'(

Atlus and Nisa still think its 1993 here for sure. We are in a MUCH better position with the rest of companies though, Nintendo of Europe is even better than america sometimes.

ZeroX03

Banned
I can't fathom how they thought those prices would fly here. The fact they're locking people out of the american store, forcing them to buy at an increase of 33%, is also preposterous.

Australia/New Zealand got way more than a 33% increase. It's more along the lines of 50-80%.

Zareka

That's quite excesive, 88€, this edition has nothing to justify that price. Thank god I got not long ago a 2DS from the states, I will find my way to get the USA version.

I was pointed in the direction of VG+ (Video Games Plus) and they seem to have reasonable prices for importing. Give them a shot for the LE.

France and Spain have large anime fanbases, and import stores are littered with this stuff. I live in the third biggest city of Spain (is not even that large (1000000 people aprox) and there are like 10-20 store of manga/anime/figure products and the majority of them import them.

It's a lie saying that Nisa and Atlus products would never be a succes if borught translated and at better proces in this two countries at least. The market is there, they just treat it like garbage.

Ah, forgive my ignorance then. If the market is really that big in other countries then yeah, NISA (and Atlus) are silly to ignore them like this.

Also, now you've made me want to move to France. Better brush up on what little I learned in school!

WolfStark

It's no different in Germany really, the fanbase does exist and the market, otherwise people here wouldn't buy and neither games, nor manga or anime would sell but they do and for a long time but the european market runs a poor second. It's more the fault of the companies and less of the consumers.

I was pointed in the direction of VG+ (Video Games Plus) and they seem to have reasonable prices for importing. Give them a shot for the LE.

Ah, forgive my ignorance then. If the market is really that big in other countries then yeah, NISA (and Atlus) are silly to ignore them like this.

Also, now you've made me want to move to France. Better brush up on what little I learned in school!

Don't worry, was not saying you were worng, was only informing. Sorry if it sounded a little bit harsh. Im not from France though, so I can't comment how good is to live there, only know they have also a huge anime culture there.
As I said, the markey is there. It's a pity they dont want to treat us like the rest of the world.

Well, I got a reply to the mail I sent them:
Hi *****,

Thank you for your email, unfortunately we cannot change the pricing of the titles we have available for pre order.

We have made a press announcement aimed at existing customers of the US store who live outside the US, this can be found here:

http://store.nisaeurope.com/blogs/news/15101367-nisa-europe-online-store-press-release

Regards

Customer Services
Nisa Europe Online Store
I answered them that, unfortunately, I couldn't buy games from their store anymore... :-(
Goodbye, Nisa EU store!

Cheeky

Well, I got a reply to the mail I sent them:

I answered them that, unfortunately, I couldn't buy games from their store anymore... :-(
Goodbye, Nisa EU store!

Got the exact same message, so they probably sent out a mass mail. Really, i have no clue what they are trying to do anymore. Do they want to lose all their EU customers?

Stuart444

Got the exact same message, so they probably sent out a mass mail. Really, i have no clue what they are trying to do anymore. Do they want to lose all their EU customers?

It's obvious what they are trying to do I think.

They think if they deal with this initial shit storm then wait for items to sell/be pre-ordered then they will be a success regardless of the initial shit storm.

If things don't sell then they will have to answer in some way, be it badly or positively for the consumer. If they sell then nothing we say will do anything about it.

Andrefpvs

They think if they deal with this initial shit storm then wait for items to sell/be pre-ordered then they will be a success regardless of the initial shit storm.

If things don't sell then they will have to answer in some way, be it badly or positively for the consumer. If they sell then nothing we say will do anything about it.

Indeed.

If Limited Edition quantities are indeed very limited, and if a few desperate/wealthy/ignorant* fans buy them even for ridiculous prices, then NISA would still make the profit they're seeking, despite pissing off 98% of their fanbase.

Which is totally disgusting, but it's not hard to see what they're trying to do.

*(the '/' represents an 'or', not an 'and')

AnGer

I received the exact same mail. What a way to say "no thank you, we apparently already have enough paying customers".

Now, as far as I am concerned – I cannot care less about most of these "collector's editions". Only a few select games they have up their sleeve are ones that I care about anyway. I won't refrain from purchasing any of these because of the less–than–consumer–friendly decisions they made. The same goes for their anime selection – I do like the shows they offer too much to not want to buy them. I just won't give them the money directly any more.

Cigarbeetle

Neo Member
Indeed.

If Limited Edition quantities are indeed very limited, and if a few desperate/wealthy/ignorant* fans buy them even for ridiculous prices, then NISA would still make the profit they're seeking, despite pissing off 98% of their fanbase.

Which is totally disgusting, but it's not hard to see what they're trying to do.

*(the '/' represents an 'or', not an 'and')

But they're not really all that limited, I think. Judging by the descriptions of the LE's, these are the exact same editions that North America will get, only with a PAL game inside. So if you keep the game sealed, there is almost no way to prove you would have the "very limited PAL version".

All they will do here is insert a European game into the North American limited edition, for 170% of the normal price.

Cheeky

But they're not really all that limited, I think. Judging by the descriptions of the LE's, these are the exact same editions that North America will get, only with a PAL game inside. So if you keep the game sealed, there is almost no way to prove you would have the "very limited PAL version".

All they will do here is insert a European game into the North American limited edition, for 170% of the normal price.

Yup, i just checked the boxes. Every game since Totori all the game boxes have been pretty much devoid of regional markings and could be easily used for multiple region. Its why you can select the region on the EU store. They just put a normal copy of that region in the box.

Zareka

Don't worry, was not saying you were worng, was only informing. Sorry if it sounded a little bit harsh. Im not from France though, so I can't comment how good is to live there, only know they have also a huge anime culture there.
As I said, the markey is there. It's a pity they dont want to treat us like the rest of the world.

No worries, you didn't sound harsh. Thanks for keeping me informed. :)

Well, I got a reply to the mail I sent them

Got an extremely similar email, except with a little bit extra I guess in reference to my small part about the limited anime availability.

NISA EU said:
Hi *****,

Thank you for your email. I appreciate your frustrations with regards to the pricing, but unfortunately we are not able to change the prices of the pre order titles available.

With regards to offering a wide range of products, we appreciate there is currently a lot more available from the US store. Our main aim at launch was to ensure we provide all of the coming new releases and transition the customer base across.

Our aim is to broaden our range of products in the future, although I cannot yet say exactly when and what products will be available.

Thank you.

Regards

Customer Services
Nisa Europe Online Store

My favourite part is how the dedicate a single sentence to the pricing issue - which was the bulk of my multiple paragraph email - and used the rest of the email to talk about their store range, of which I complained about for maybe one sentence.

Gonna write an email later, gonna sleep soon =/ but yeah the PR letter is basically a fuck you to fans.
And the way they are doing these "limited/collector's edition" an eBayer can easily one up them and still be cheaper than the current bullshit prices.

According to my very rough calculation, they'd have to lose less than 43% of their European clients for this shop to be considered a "success".
And when I see these prices, I'm having a hard time imagining more than half of their previous clients buying games from their new EU store. But maybe I'm mistaken...

Nyoro SF

I wonder if they'll just try to "ride out the storm" and not address it, it is a tactic that has worked before. Maybe they believe their richest fans will suck up the inflated prices and justify the store's existence?

Andrefpvs

I wonder if they'll just try to "ride out the storm" and not address it, it is a tactic that has worked before. Maybe they believe their richest fans will suck up the inflated prices and justify the store's existence?

That's pretty much what I think is happening.

45€ (60$) vs 75€ (60GBP) is just insane. Why can't people living outside of UK choose Euros? I'd love to know the reason.
First Atlus now Nisa. Europe can't catch a break.
I had lower shipping costs ordering games from Japan as express delivery.

Zafir

45€ (60$) vs 75€ (60GBP) is just insane. Why can't people living outside of UK choose Euros? I'd love to know the reason.
First Atlus now Nisa. Europe can't catch a break.
I had lower shipping costs ordering games from Japan as express delivery.
Even if they did, you wouldn't be paying any less. Not to mention, us brits would be still be getting overcharged even if you somehow miraculously got a better exchange rate.

The fact of the matter is, the prices on the EU store are too high full stop.

I'm pretty sure there were reviews on the product pages full of people complaining about the prices but I don't see them anymore. Did NISA remove them?

Zareka

The gauge for DR2 seems to have moved a bit. D4 and FFF however seem full still.
Yeah, I fully expect for DR2 to sell some considering it's probably got the most willing fanbase, and maybe is the most popular. (Edit: from my limited knowledge. I haven't heard much of FFF and DR *appears* to be more popular than Disgaea.) The other two better not move though.

It's kind of funny that NISA's own IP is selling less than a third party game.

I'm pretty sure there were reviews on the product pages full of people complaining about the prices but I don't see them anymore. Did NISA remove them?

Yup. Deleted the reviews, ignored the complaints. They really wanna ride this out.

Cheeky

Nope, looks like they're riding it out. And like the post above shows, people are buying. Sigh.

Consider me a tin foil hat. But they might be fixing those bars so that it looks like they are in demand to push some people over the line.

Zareka

Consider me a tin foil hat. But they might be fixing those bars so that it looks like they are in demand to push some people over the line.

Is this the part where we find out they actually only have 5 copies of each, so only 2 or 3 people have actually bought?

Coxy

they definitely edited the bars, they used to be round percentages but now they end in things like .533333%

Lain

I find 14€ for standard shipping and 19€ for a courier to Italy laughable but damn, I feel even more sorry for those countries for which a courier is 38€.

Top Bottom