• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NIS America Finally Opens NIS Europe Store: It's not all rosy dood.

Lain

I was happy when they announced they were opening an European Online Store but after seeing the prices I'm not going to buy anything there. Already people that do 1$=1€ deserve to burn in hell as far as I'm concerned, but 1$=1£ ? What, they weren't happy about screwing us once with the direct conversion to € so they went for a double screw job?
I like NISA but no, unless those prices include a prostitute that will suck me off after handing me my package, I'll keep buying standard editions from Amazon.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I don't even understand why they were silly enough to attempt it. This isn't a mainstream shopping website with numerous consumers that'll eat up bullshit because they don't know better. This a niche website that deals in Japanese games etc.

That is the exact same demographic that'll go online and call out your bullshit in the loudest possible way.

Cheeky

I don't even understand why they were silly enough to attempt it. This isn't a mainstream shopping website with numerous consumers that'll eat up bullshit because they don't know better. This a niche website that deals in Japanese games etc.

That is the exact same demographic that'll go online and call out your bullshit in the loudest possible way.

I am gonna disagree, NISA probably thinks it can get away with this because they have some strangely loyal fans that will buy everything. The only time this so far has backfired is with Mugen souls.

You should check the forums they have... it can be quite jarring how far they will go to defend stuff.

fates

I am gonna disagree, NISA probably thinks it can get away with this because they have some strangely loyal fans that will buy everything. The only time this so far has backfired is with Mugen souls.

You should check the forums they have... it can be quite jarring how far they will go to defend stuff.

Yeah, this is more than likely the case. It's the same over here in North America with the "Atlus Tax" on Persona Q (nowhere near as high, though). Basically, they know they have their dedicated base, and know they're likely to pay a premium.

The only way to combat this of course is with the wallet. People can say "man this sucks" online, but it's hard to hear that when the sound is muffled by all the cash they are rolling in. Now, if the cash suddenly doesn't come in like they expected...

7threst

Yeah, this is more than likely the case. It's the same over here in North America with the "Atlus Tax" on Persona Q (nowhere near as high, though). Basically, they know they have their dedicated base, and know they're likely to pay a premium.

The only way to combat this of course is with the wallet. People can say "man this sucks" online, but it's hard to hear that when the sound is muffled by all the cash they are rolling in. Now, if the cash suddenly doesn't come in like they expected...

Well, I think online stores like Videogame+, even with the high prices you pay for shipping, are a viable option for people who want these games. It's certainly not that the fans aren't used to importing.

Cheeky

Well, I think online stores like Videogame+, even with the high prices you pay for shipping, are a viable option for people who want these games. It's certainly not that the fans aren't used to importing.

Oh, i will fully switch to VGP if they dont adjust. I mostly bought from the NISA store because for the equal of European store prices(after shipping NISA store would still be cheaper most of the time) i could get some extras and most importantly, better spine art.

But i still know there will be plenty of people that dont know any better or rather dont want to know any better and will buy it with a ~71% markup anyway.

WolfStark

I am glad that I didn't cancelled my order of Danganronpa 2 LE, otherwise the only place I could get it would be the EU Store and I would never, ever pay this ridiculous amount of money. I really don't get it how anyone sane could make such a decision. Dollar 1:1 to Euro is already a ripoff but most people expect that kind of behaviour and the price would be still okay but Pound? Which one would click on a link to a european store, see the pound symbol and think "yup, european store"? Most european citizens expect a "€", thats the currency in the EU minus Great-Britain. NISA could have made a shop with Swiss franc's as currency, it would be as same as stupid as using pounds. But hey, if it's just that it would have scared off a few customers but the price (and shipping!) is the straw to break the camel's back. I honestly can't understand how NISA could make such a huge mistake.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Technically it is illegal yes but no one has ever had the patient to take this branch of government to task. Why? Reasons -.-

Actually, they have. There was a spate of small claims court victories over Royal Mail on this subject, but they seem to have changed the law somewhat since then.

Andrefpvs

Talked to them on the live chat. I asked them if they're going to change the prices and they replied me this:
VbyD6c7.png

After that, they didn't talk to me again and they deleted all of the reviews compaining about the prices.

So those ridiculous prices are for real?

...Holy shit. That's just shameless.

Foffy

Banned
I feel sorry for you Europeans. I hope NIS America takes a fucking beating in order to make amends, because they probably won't do it otherwise.

Ah I see the site only sells LE's, obviously they are banking on their richer collector fanbase to soak up any any extra costs.

I'm fine with a plain retail copy but what worries me is that I can imagine future localisations been digital download only like SMT4 but with small print runs of physical copies exclusive to their store at similar insane markups. That would royally suck

EDIT Also there is a subset of gamers out there who have a strange fear of importing games that I can see a few of using the UK store even at those prices.

klee123

It's hilarious that they think that Europeans are willing to spend that type on money on these games in this day and age when there are much cheaper equivalents.

Oh well their loss, with this kinda of response I'm not expecting the Euro store to last for very long.

This is why I laughed in the Fairy Fencer LE thread at people in the US complaining at a $70 price tag.

(Do you mean the NISA forums?)

Yeah I found it very funny that the main feedback thread for the PAL store prices was started by a US gamer thinking he/she was getting a raw deal compared to Europe.

Akihidas

This kind of stuff infuriates me and it happens all the time with games. PS4 launch games were $60 in the US and £60 in the UK, absolutely unacceptable. Console digital stores are also notorious for this, charging ridiculous amount compared to their US counterparts while not decreasing over time.

I really hope NIS comment on this matter, it's just a shame that there's not more talk on this matter regarding all the other companies that practice it.

Lain

It's $75, but there's a thread on the NISA forums asking why the LE isn't $70, when it's £70 on the europe store.

Wait, what?

That reply didn't help. I know about rate differences, that's not the issue. My question is. Why are the other two LE's the same in both stores, while the Fairy Fencer is more? Shouldn't they all be the same?

Ahahahaha...ha..ah. Depressing.

Faustek

That was for videogame developers so they might be more keen on setting up base in the UK. Of course they took so long to bring this in that many had closed up in the interim.

For consumers games are taxed (VAT) like most other things.

Yeah but from what I gathered localisation was part of this as well. Then again a friend was pissed because it was only if it was "cultary" UK:ran...whatever the hell that means.

Actually, they have. There was a spate of small claims court victories over Royal Mail on this subject, but they seem to have changed the law somewhat since then.

Oho, missed that. My bad.

It's hilarious that they think that Europeans are willing to spend that type on money on these games in this day and age when there are much cheaper equivalents.

Oh well their loss, with this kinda of response I'm not expecting the Euro store to last for very long.

That's the thing, now EBay sellers will upp their prices in correlation tho this as well. And NISA keeping the LEs exclusive to their shops...man oh man.

Faustek

I don't understand why they'd do this. They're not going to sell anything at those prices. It's just a turnoff.

Oh they will sell. No doubt about it. There are die hard fans out there. Hopefully they will not sell great, sorry NISA but those prices are fucked up, and NISA will look over things.

But I have to hand it to them. They are actually providing 5 different game packaging languages. Six of you count "Australian" to be different from "UK"....what the fuck is the difference? Do we get a Mr.Bean stamp vs Animals-that-will-kill-you stamp?

shink

Oh they will sell. No doubt about it. There are die hard fans out there. Hopefully they will not sell great, sorry NISA but those prices are fucked up, and NISA will look over things.

But I have to hand it to them. They are actually providing 5 different game packaging languages. Six of you count "Australian" to be different from "UK"....what the fuck is the difference? Do we get a Mr.Bean stamp vs Animals-that-will-kill-you stamp?

Probably just our classification sticker stuck on top of the PEGI label.

Zareka

Do they seriously think they're going to sell to people at these prices? They were on to something with the store but, man...the prices. Also, I got that email about something being in my cart too and found it pretty hilarious since I'm waiting on a response to a complaint I emailed in.

Someone convince me not to buy the Persona Q LE, I have the money and I can't help myself. ;_;

AnGer

I've sent them a complaint yesterday, but have not received an answer so far. Anyone else had any luck?

Cheeky

Do they seriously think they're going to sell to people at these prices? They were on to something with the store but, man...the prices. Also, I got that email about something being in my cart too and found it pretty hilarious since I'm waiting on a response to a complaint I emailed in.

Someone convince me not to buy the Persona Q LE, I have the money and I can't help myself. ;_;

If the NISAE version is gonna cost 80GBP+15GBP, it would almost be cheaper buying a 2DS+ PQCE from VGP. With the benefit of being able to play RF4 and other games like it and being avoid atlus tax in the future.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Just won't buy but it's very frustrating because I would be happy to at reasonable prices. These prices are beyond crazy, especially to Australia. Couldn't really imagine the situation could get worse but there you go...

AnGer

Mmmm... no PR response yet? You'd think media reports might've swayed them.
I think it is safe to assume that NISA is taking a "wait and see" approach. If people will still purchase from their store in spite of the pricing they'll probably stick to this model.

However, if they fail*, there are three possible outcomes:

1. They will reopen the American online store for non–Americans. This may be the best scenario for their customers, although it may result in losing LEs/CEs for their Europe–only releases.
  2. They will set the prices to what the customers are willing to pay or change the currency to Euro. There's still a bit of a tradeoff here in terms of pricing, but it won't be as drastic as it used to be.
  3. Last – and worst case scenario – they will deem Europe being a market not worth working with (like Atlus did) and retreat from our shores entirely. The American store will still be closed off for Europeans.

*and I think they will

They never did answer my email.

Really disappointed with NISA, will definately be spending a LOT less money on their products then I used to.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
stupid question: will I be able to purhcase Persona Q for 3DS normally in PAL region? If so, screw those prices/LE, I'll simply go for a normal purhcase here in Italy for the normal version

Cheeky

stupid question: will I be able to purhcase Persona Q for 3DS normally in PAL region? If so, screw those prices/LE, I'll simply go for a normal purhcase here in Italy for the normal version

Of course you can, but i believe the game does have Atlus tax so it might be more expensive then your usual 3ds game.

Yeah, the prices are pretty awful, makes me fearful for Persona Q .

Hopefully they'll have wisened up by then.

haha, funny man. PQ is likely gonna prove that they can still sell stuff for ridiculous prices. In any case i except PQ to be the one they base their decision to change prices on.

AnGer

Regular editions will still be available at your local retailer or larger online stores such as amazon.

BeforeJam

Neo Member
Orders placed before the store opened will stilled be fulfilled, thankfully. Lucky I ordered DanganRonpa 2 literally four days before getting the email.

AnGer

When i got the email saying the eu store the first thing i knew that would happen was the direct conversion.

gg.
Everyone knew they would convert their prices at a 1:1 rate. People just didn't expect the unit conversed into being Pound Sterling. And that is the bigger problem – it wouldn't have been a "markup" as significant if it were Euro.

Are the Limited Editions sold exclusively through their websites?
Yes they are.

I'm fine with a plain retail copy but what worries me is that I can imagine future localisations been digital download only like SMT4 but with small print runs of physical copies exclusive to their store at similar insane markups. That would royally suck.
Well, you try finding a NISA Europe game that came out 12 months ago and for less than RRP? What I'm getting at is the physical copies are already fairly limited.

How much longer can they hold on to those prices? I just got this in my inbox:
zZ9Iw5c.png
I hate it when sites do that.

When i got the email saying the eu store the first thing i knew that would happen was the direct conversion.

gg.
I expected $=€ which if it has cheap, fast shipping is a reasonable compromise but $=£ with joke shipping costs is a disgrace.

luca_aros

Neo Member
I think it is safe to assume that NISA is taking a "wait and see" approach. If people will still purchase from their store in spite of the pricing they'll probably stick to this model.

1. They will reopen the American online store for non–Americans. This may be the best scenario for their customers, although it may result in losing LEs/CEs for their Europe–only releases.
  2. They will set the prices to what the customers are willing to pay or change the currency to Euro. There's still a bit of a tradeoff here in terms of pricing, but it won't be as drastic as it used to be.
  3. Last – and worst case scenario – they will deem Europe being a market not worth working with (like Atlus did) and retreat from our shores entirely. The American store will still be closed off for Europeans.

*and I think they will

I agree with you completely. Though I have a feeling they'll go for the last option... just stop releasing in Europe and probably not open up International shipping. I think the main reason they opened the store was to reduce shipping costs/the hassle from shipping worldwide. So they probably just shipped a limited bulk quantity to the UK, and if they don't sell, they'll just stop shipping.

TheChaos0

*and I think they will

They should combine 1 and 2, adjust prices on EU stuff and have an import section for their dvd/bluray and merchandise stuff. At this point it's cheaper to use mail redirection service and keep buying from the US store or stop buying from their store altogether.

Zareka

If the NISAE version is gonna cost 80GBP+15GBP, it would almost be cheaper buying a 2DS+ PQCE from VGP. With the benefit of being able to play RF4 and other games like it and being avoid atlus tax in the future.

Are you saying I should get the US 2DS instead? If so, I already have a US 3DS (and RF4 - awesome game!) so importing isn't a problem. Thing is, buying from NISA would only be about £10 more expensive (I live in the UK so shipping would only be £5, I'm comparing to Amazon as I don't know VG+ shipping fees) and that's with the bonus of being able to play it on an XL instead of an OG 3DS.

I guess my main problem isn't the cost, but that buying PAL = giving NISA money.

HUGE prices, shit distributing and not translating to simple pal5, something that even small indies do in our days.

Thanks for bringing things nisa, but I will never be grateful for how you have, are and will treat us. Same goes for atlus.

[*]Last – and worst case scenario – they will deem Europe being a market not worth working with (like Atlus did) and retreat from our shores entirely. The American store will still be closed off for Europeans.
[/LIST]

*and I think they will

Wouldn't be the least surprised if this was the action taken.
The funny thing is, they are not that niche anymore and europe would be a profitable market for them if they work it right. France and Spain are very interesting anime centric countries that with the right marketing (and translations) would work wonder for them.

Cheeky

Are you saying I should get the US 2DS instead? If so, I already have a US 3DS (and RF4 - awesome game!) so importing isn't a problem. Thing is, buying from NISA would only be about £10 more expensive (I live in the UK so shipping would only be £5, I'm comparing to Amazon as I don't know VG+ shipping fees) and that's with the bonus of being able to play it on an XL instead of an OG 3DS.

I guess my main problem isn't the cost, but that buying PAL = giving NISA money.

If you already have a NTSC 3ds then i dont see why you would not import it from VGP. Shipping will probably be between 7,50 and 15,00 but the CAD is pretty damn weak. I believe the ce is like 80CAD + 15 CAD shipping which is is like 65 euro. I believe the NISAE version will be 70 GBP(somebody posted a screenshot), that is already 88 euro without shipping.

Its up to you, but i would pick VGP since they are one of Atlus' preferred retail partners in American regions anyway and they serve a big EU market.

Top Bottom