• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NISA announces Mugen Souls (PS3) Legasista (PSN) Witch and the Hundred Knights (PS3)

HUm ..very happy for the witch game

Don't care much about legasista

Care about muugen souls , but not to the point i would purchase this ...

Lain

It's going to be Legasista for me. Witch too, but that's too far away.
Mugen... will have to think about that.

Reveirg

Heh, funny, we already have 3 HD JRPGs confirmed for Q1, 2013 (Ni No Kuni, FFXIV 2.0 and The Witch and the Hundred Knights), and none for Fall 2012...

will most likely bite on witch and legacista (think this will end up being an 8-bit old-timer game, like cladun)..
as for mugen soul, any review or preview? :X

Reveirg

I heard there's this game called Mugen Souls coming out in Fall 2012.

Sorry, after watching the "bath" trailer, I decided to forget Mugen Souls' existence...

As for Ni No Kuni, it was announced as "Winter 2012". Doesn't Winter begin on December 21?

Let me be the first to say that I don't have a problem with the bath scenes. I guess I'm just so used to moe that I've seen much worse and somehow found a way to forgive Japan that this stuff only seems mildly offensive to me. It's not my cup of tea, but neither is thick necked space marines stroking their phallus guns shouting about "Cole trains" and I still play that shit. What I'm saying is that somehow, I've developed the ability to look past moe bathing scenes - this isn't the first game that has had it (by a long, long shot)

And the IF auto-hate has to stop. It makes you all look like a bunch of children. IF is a publisher with a lot of different games that it makes - most of which are not fan service filled grind fests. Compile Heart is but one part of IF (though the most prominent in the US), but there are other really good games that IF makes. I would hate if we stopped getting the good IF games because you people were too shallow to actually play games before you hated them unconditionally.

I mean, there's a reason why we get stuff like Mugen Souls and not Spectral Force Legacy, and it's because, despite all the complaining to the contrary, you guys are buying the fan service grindy stuff over the decent-to-excellent grand strategy and adventure titles.

Thank you.

zroid

Banned
read some stuff on PS Blog.

TWatHK is sounding pretty damn good

Excerpt:

PSB: The storyline premise sounds interesting. Can you touch on this war between the Swamp Witch and the Forest Witch?
JN: There are two witches that have been going at each other for hundreds of years. The Swamp Witch, who is seriously evil, decides to destroy the Forest Witch once and for all. She stumbles upon the remains of a legendary dark knight who died hundreds of years before, resurrects him and enslaves him. So the Swamp Witch is your master and you have to follow what she says.

PSB: Are there wrinkles in that story? Do you have to work for here, or can you turn against her?
JN: That’s all up to the player. You can be as evil as you want by pillaging villages and killing innocent NPCs, or try to help them and solve their problems. There are two different paths, and it’s all up to the player.

frequency

I like IF games...
I can look past the art and enjoy what's there. They're great C to B-tier games to pass the time with while waiting for the bigger releases I care about - which are few and far between (yay idioms!).

I find a lot more depth and enjoyment in most IF games than in the "AAA" releases that people clamour over these days.

Sqorgar

Banned
I like IF games...
I can look past the art and enjoy what's there. They're great C to B-tier games to pass the time with while waiting for the bigger releases I care about - which are few and far between (yay idioms!).

I find a lot more depth and enjoyment in most IF games than in the "AAA" releases that people clamour over these days.
I think we need to get back to properly respecting C and B-tier quality games. It's pretty obvious that AAA games are not sustaining the game industry, all the while Gust and IF are releasing smaller B-tier games that are profitable without needing to appeal to a large audience. We need to get to the point where we can look at a game and say "it's not my style, and that's okay" instead of "it sucks because I don't like it". People are so obsessed with spectacle-based gaming that I'm afraid that they have forgotten how to be gamers.

eternalb

Damn... GameFan says there are over a 1000 playable characters in Mugen Souls.

WTF, hopefully the bath scene is still in and some random map maker crap got removed (though I don't think anu of that is in Mugen).

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
And the IF auto-hate has to stop. It makes you all look like a bunch of children.

This has got to be pretty much the single worst possible choice of pejorative to direct against Idea Factory's detractors in this thread.

zeelman

I think we need to get back to properly respecting C and B-tier quality games. It's pretty obvious that AAA games are not sustaining the game industry, all the while Gust and IF are releasing smaller B-tier games that are profitable without needing to appeal to a large audience. We need to get to the point where we can look at a game and say "it's not my style, and that's okay" instead of "it sucks because I don't like it". People are so obsessed with spectacle-based gaming that I'm afraid that they have forgotten how to be gamers.

Niche games are just that, niche games. They're not going to appeal to a large audience, especially a game like Mugen Souls.

Eusis

And many of us would probably be willing to give an IF game a fair shake if it looks/sounds like something we'd actually enjoy. Or at least not be embarrassed to play, some people have awfully short limits there but even with censorship this is probably going to be one of those that crosses most people's far too easily.

zeelman

If Mugen Souls did its bath thing like Ar Tonelico 2 did, I would be fine with it. But those suggestive images are a bit much, especially with how young those characters are.

frequency

I agree.

I think the attitude shift towards AAA releases plays a part in the struggles of the industry. I see people write off anything but AAA or 90+ metacritic games more often this generation. Even on a very hardcore gaming community like GAF, people write off B-tier games. So it kind of pushed a lot of developers/publishers to try and reach beyond their capabilities.

In some ways, it's almost like the hardcore gamer turned against the industry and then when studios start dropping, they wonder why.

I guess I just have the Sega thing on my mind. It's sad reading that thread and seeing people talk about how they're interested in Yakuza or Binary Domain or whatever, but not supporting it with their money.

It's not just about Mugen Souls or IF. But like... Alice Madness Returns, Castlevania Lords of Shadow, Resonance of Fate, Nier etc. B-tier games that are great but the majority of gamers didn't even consider giving a chance.
I guess I don't really blame them. With the economy that people complain so much about, I guess the flashiness of games and metacritic scores make people feel better about their $60 purchase.
It just sucks for the industry.

Eusis

Well, for Binary Domain I may as well get it on PC, and for Yakuza I need to get through 2, 3, and 4 still. I don't think my choices in purcahses really changed that much compared to 10 years ago, so I guess it's more that either many others are seriously becoming more selective, or costs have exceeded actual growth, though it seems there's a DECLINE going on actually.

I sort of wonder if the generation would've been in a better place if they restrained themselves to PS2-era budgets. Would probably be a modest jump over that period, but at worst I figure the economic crash would've made the industry a bit more subdued rather than slowly collapse.

Sqorgar

Banned
This has got to be pretty much the single worst possible choice of pejorative to direct against Idea Factory's detractors in this thread.
I didn't say they were sexy children...

And many of us would probably be willing to give an IF game a fair shake if it looks/sounds like something we'd actually enjoy. Or at least not be embarrassed to play,
Hakuoki: Demon of the Fleeting Blossom is an adventure game during the feudal Japan era, written from the perspective of a girl. My IF series of choice, the Generation of Chaos games, are grand strategy games that are kind of a cross between a board game and Dragon Force. To my knowledge, neither of those games are embarrassing to play in any way, shape, or form. Well, Hakuoki may be, but only if you are insecure about playing a love story from the perspective of a woman.

In general, if you don't like moe fan service, you want to avoid Compile Heart - but Idea Factory is a broader umbrella than just that one company's output.

zeelman

Yeah, the budgets have been getting ridiculous. Developers complained about how expensive development was getting in the previous generation, and it just keeps going up. They should stop this nonsense instead of attacking honest customers with online passes and drm.

Eusis

Hakuoki: Demon of the Fleeting Blossom
Incidentally my first thought on a good IF game, but I don't like how it STILL isn't up for Vita. Then there's Generation of Chaos which... well, it sounds middling, if somehow the Sting developed one can come over I'd probably look into that though. I tried the demo of the WW2 SRPG, but didn't care for it.

frequency

Well, for Binary Domain I may as well get it on PC, and for Yakuza I need to get through 2, 3, and 4 still. I don't think my choices in purcahses really changed that much compared to 10 years ago, so I guess it's more that either many others are seriously becoming more selective, or costs have exceeded actual growth, though it seems there's a DECLINE going on actually.

I sort of wonder if the generation would've been in a better place if they restrained themselves to PS2-era budgets. Would probably be a modest jump over that period, but at worst I figure the economic crash would've made the industry a bit more subdued rather than slowly collapse.

I'm saddened by the lack of support, but I really can't blame anyone. With the economic problems especially, I can't fault anyone for wanting to make sure they get their money's worth out of their purchases. The least risky way for that is probably review scores.

I am worried about next gen. I kind of wish the pastebin PS4 rumours with lower specs are true. The industry needs to tone down until things stabilize again. A new generation with even more tech and ever increasing development costs is the last thing we need right now.

Well, Hakuoki may be, but only if you are insecure about playing a love story from the perspective of a woman.

Hakuoki isn't really even a love story. The otome elements are really toned down. You would have to be really insecure to be embarrassed by it. At least that's what I think. I guess I can't really speak from that perspective.

cj_iwakura

I didn't say they were sexy children...

Hakuoki: Demon of the Fleeting Blossom is an adventure game during the feudal Japan era, written from the perspective of a girl. My IF series of choice, the Generation of Chaos games, are grand strategy games that are kind of a cross between a board game and Dragon Force. To my knowledge, neither of those games are embarrassing to play in any way, shape, or form. Well, Hakuoki may be, but only if you are insecure about playing a love story from the perspective of a woman.

In general, if you don't like moe fan service, you want to avoid Compile Heart - but Idea Factory is a broader umbrella than just that one company's output.

Sadly, that's by and large IF's focus as of late. And thanks to the apparently shallow US audience for their garbage moe output, that's the stuff that they'll continue to focus on.

Japan supposedly knows better. Unfortunately, we don't.

And I genuinely enjoyed Hakuoki.

Ravage

I agree.

I think the attitude shift towards AAA releases plays a part in the struggles of the industry. I see people write off anything but AAA or 90+ metacritic games more often this generation. Even on a very hardcore gaming community like GAF, people write off B-tier games. So it kind of pushed a lot of developers/publishers to try and reach beyond their capabilities.

In some ways, it's almost like the hardcore gamer turned against the industry and then when studios start dropping, they wonder why.

I guess I just have the Sega thing on my mind. It's sad reading that thread and seeing people talk about how they're interested in Yakuza or Binary Domain or whatever, but not supporting it with their money.

It's not just about Mugen Souls or IF. But like... Alice Madness Returns, Castlevania Lords of Shadow, Resonance of Fate, Nier etc. B-tier games that are great but the majority of gamers didn't even consider giving a chance.
I guess I don't really blame them. With the economy that people complain so much about, I guess the flashiness of games and metacritic scores make people feel better about their $60 purchase.
It just sucks for the industry.

I feel like i'm losing touch with the new generation of 'gamers' sometimes...

In general, if you don't like ECHHI fan service, you want to avoid Compile Heart - but Idea Factory is a broader umbrella than just that one company's output.

fixed for more accuracy

edit: Why the hell lots of people always assume that moe = is always perverted anime stuff??

And the IF auto-hate has to stop. It makes you all look like a bunch of children. IF is a publisher with a lot of different games that it makes - most of which are not fan service filled grind fests. Compile Heart is but one part of IF (though the most prominent in the US), but there are other really good games that IF makes. I would hate if we stopped getting the good IF games because you people were too shallow to actually play games before you hated them unconditionally.

IF makes bad videogames, not all the haters are people reeling from moe shock. i'm actually one of those cretins who likes the fanservice, but IF's games are so bad i rather play nothing instead.

Top Bottom