• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 9 (OT) SURABANAKA DESU!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless you like the japanese commentary due to emotion and being able to focus on the match. Some people love english commentary but I'm not one of them - feels 'right' to me with japanese commentary and letting the action tell the entire story.

Not to mention the butchering JR and Striker will give many of the names. It made me cringe in those hype videos for Striker to pronounce Shinsuke as "Shin-Soo-Key". It's "Shin-skay", goddammit!

tm24

Keep in mind that if you watch it through NJPW's service you are probably not going to get English commentary, so it's probably worth the extra $20 or so to hear JR.
I still dont understand why people think JR caling this is a good thing. Dude doesnt know the product, the wrestlers or the moves. The entire thing will probably feel like someone doing a poor imitation of him

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I definitely think Japanese commentary sounds a lot more exciting (and really, all the moves are said in English anyway), but a lot of people are just not going to give the show a fair shot if they don't understand what's being said.

Also I'd imagine JR and Striker will give background history on the wrestlers and matches before and during said matches which can add a bit to people watching for the first time.

Not to mention the butchering JR and Striker will give many of the names. It made me cringe in those hype videos for him to pronounce Shinsuke as "Shin-Soo-Key". It's "Shin-skay", goddammit!

I liked Striker but I think he's out of his depth here. I wish GFW would have gone with John Pollock from The Fight Network. He's actually up to date with NJPW in the first place and knows so much, and he's as inoffensive a commentator as ever. Great dude, wish he got the gig.

Aiii

So not worth it
We aren't really complaining about a simple mispronunciation, are we?

Especially when we're watching something that's full of butchered English all night long.

tm24

Especially when we're watching something that's full of butchered English all night long.

It's part of a bigger problem i foresee. How can you tell a story if you don't know the characters in the story?

Toki767

It's part of a bigger problem i foresee. How can you tell a story if you don't know the characters in the story?

As opposed to listening to Japanese commentary where you won't even understand the story anyway? At least JR and Striker will hopefully give it their best shot to do some research.

I'm kind of a Japanophile so it just kind of irks me. It's also been going on since the 90's when puro guys started appearing for WCW and WWF and you got to hear names like Ken-soo-key Sasaki and The Great Sa-Soo-Kay. I figured that with the rise of puro thanks to exposure through Youtube that this would go away but nope.

Jamie OD

Excited as heck for the show. I heard the ticket sales have been great and it will be the largest audience New Japan has drawn in years.

If you want the backstory, read my OP, but puro really just boils down to one guy or team wanting to beat the other guy or team because he/they dislikes him/them or wants his/their title. There's no bullshit with shampoo commercials or anything.

Honestly, storytelling really takes a back seat to athleticism and action in puro, so just sit back and enjoy the stiffness.

tm24

If you want the backstory, read my OP, but puro really just boils down to one guy or team wanting to beat the other guy or team because he/they dislikes him/them or wants his/their title. There's no bullshit with shampoo commercials or anything.

Honestly, storytelling really takes a back seat to athleticism and action in puro, so just sit back and enjoy the stiffness.

Oh i know the story, i just feel like complaining about JR and Striker

I'm surprised the GFW promos haven't focused on Shinsuke at all. He'd get over huge in front of an American audience. Nakamura/Ibushi have a legit shot at putting on MOTY. The people I'm watching it with get excited over suicide dives so they're going to wet themselves once they see what Ibushi is capable of.

Downhome

I can't believe that some people are complaining about JR. do you not realize who we are talking about here? I bet we would be amazed at the hours he has put in to gt ready for this show.

On top of that, he will only get better the more he does it. I can't wait to see/hear his performance.

Trevelyon

^^ Aussie looking to see this w /g 'ol J.R commentary but Foxtel/Main Event showing absolutely 0.0% interest.

Afraid I'll be going to the dark side on this one.

shaowebb

tumblr_n7wq51d3Uo1rwax6fo1_500.jpg

tumblr_n1xtb53rdy1s1uj0qo1_250.gif

tumblr_n7f8o2WhJj1r2wvazo1_500.gif

tumblr_n9bw6avQZA1s1uj0qo1_400.gif

tumblr_n232dtDTRh1tt2jjyo1_500.gif

And he's taking on Kota Ibushi no less! I am soooooooooooooo fucking hype for this one. This is one of the best cards I've ever seen. Hopefully with JR announcing it'll finally wake some folks up and get more people to watch.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
$34.99 PPV price, ridiculous

I know there is a the Japanese streaming option but I rather the process not be a pain, I'm really only interested because of JR

lol

move along then, nothing to see here. you can subscribe to JR's podcast and listen to his bigoted ass talk about "he-shes" all day if you'd rather. It's free.

liger05

Sakuraba vs. Suzuki: I usually don't like MMA matches in my puroresu events (see the shitfest that was Sakuraba/Nagata vs. the Gracies last year) but these are two men that can combine the two styles so it actually has a chance of being pretty good. I don't see anywhere these two can go from here so expect Suzuki to win with maybe some heel shenanigans to continue the feud.

Not really the same thing. The gracies didn't know how to work. Sakuraba and Suzuki know how to work this style with there eyes closed. This match is pure puroresu and for me could steal the show. It's going to be classic UWF/UWFI style and what better place to see it than the biggest show of the year. Remember Shoot style puroresu was about well before MMA. It should be epic and I hope it's booked correctly with no interference no shenanigans like a true UWF style match.

Will be interesting to see how JR calls this one. No hitting the ropes, no climbing the ropes, no pinfalls. Totally different to anything his called before.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Not really the same thing. This match is pure puroresu and for me could steal the show. It's going to be classic UWF/UWFI style and what better place to see it than the biggest show of the year. Remember Shoot style puroresu was about well before MMA. It should be epic and I hope it's booked correctly with no interference no shenanigans like a true UWF style match.

Will be interesting to see how JR calls this one. No hitting the ropes, no climbing the ropes, no pinfalls. Totally different to anything his called before.

I've just grown so tired of shoot style matches. I'd love to be surprised, but I haven't enjoyed a Sakuraba match since WK7 with Nakamura.

how is that ridiculous?

Because American wrestling fans largely don't have a clue about NJPW, even the hardcore fans, so asking them to drop $35 is a reach to say the least. $19.99 would have been the sweet spot

lol

move along then, nothing to see here. you can subscribe to JR's podcast and listen to his bigoted ass talk about "he-shes" all day if you'd rather. It's free.

JR is by far and away the greatest commentator ever, that means something, I don't get your hatred for him as it seems personal which I'm not interested in

MoosiferX

There are few things I'm more excited for than Wrestle Kingdom 9 this Saturday. We're having a big party at my folks house, watching it live, and then going out for breakfast.

My parents, god bless 'em, are going to bed at 5 p.m. so they can stay up and watch this with myself, the Mrs., and a few friends. They've been ordering wrestling PPVs for me since Wrestlemania VI. They even let me call Mean Gene's shitty hotline.

Not really the same thing. The gracies didn't know how to work. Sakuraba and Suzuki know how to work this style with there eyes closed. This match is pure puroresu and for me could steal the show. It's going to be classic UWF/UWFI style and what better place to see it than the biggest show of the year. Remember Shoot style puroresu was about well before MMA. It should be epic and I hope it's booked correctly with no interference no shenanigans like a true UWF style match.

Yeah, I know, I'm more or less referring to 2000-2003 where Inoki tried to do the UWFi style and brought in a bunch of shoot guys who didn't know how to work. Combine that with Choshu's shitty booking, NOAH absolutely crushing everything in Japan at that time, and the Brock Lesnar disaster, and it's a miracle NJPW survived. Meanwhile Shithead Inoki has his overblown indy promotion that isn't sure if it wants to be puro or MMA and is off hanging out with Kim Jong Un. Douchebag.

shaowebb

$34.99 PPV price, ridiculous

I know there is a the Japanese streaming option but I rather the process not be a pain, I'm really only interested because of JR

ITS A 7 AND A HALF HOUR PAY PER VIEW

Look up Wrestle Kingdom 8 on Daily Motion or something if you don't believe me. This thing is a fucking steal.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
JR is by far and away the greatest commentator ever, that means something, I don't get your hatred for him as it seems personal which I'm not interested in

I dunno, I'd definitely say I prefer the over the top JR from the Attitude Era to a lot of stuff, but the other 'eras' of JR calling matches I don't feel strongly about. The subdued, normal calling of matches he did in say, WCW or pre-WCW feel pretty vanilla to me. I don't expect much emotion out of him this go-round. Doesn't really matter as I'm going the NJPW World route as I prefer the Japanese commentary, but I am curious how he'll do with Striker. I seem to remember those two not getting along too well in WWE.

akileese

ITS A 7 AND A HALF HOUR PAY PER VIEW

Look up Wrestle Kingdom 8 on Daily Motion or something if you don't believe me. This thing is a fucking steal.

Wait what? 7 and a half fucking hours? Someone told me it was four hours. I assume that is with multiple 30 minute intermissions in between? The card is stacked and i'm amped for it, but no way is there enough content to fill god damn near 8 hours.

e: Unless there's a 3 hour preshow in which case move along nothing to see here.

RP912

Banned
I still dont understand why people think JR caling this is a good thing. Dude doesnt know the product, the wrestlers or the moves. The entire thing will probably feel like someone doing a poor imitation of him

I actually agree with this...

I think Matt Striker will do a better job with commentary than JR. People forget about his lukewarm commentary during wm 25 and his meh commentary in NXT. The "BAH GAWD" JR is gone.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Well the 44.99 price for the English version makes me a bit skeptical.

I just wonder if John Pollock was chosen instead of Striker would there be this doubt on the English commentary?

I would feel instantly better, because I know Pollock would be busting his ass and could carry the whole thing if he needed to. He did the Russian Combat Sports thing and for like 13 hours he was a goddamn iron man at it, and studied so much. He's fantastic.

So yeah I don't know how to feel about Striker.

RP912

Banned
Why people are so skeptical about Striker :/

He at least studies the promotion and tries to be accurate during commentary compared to the bumbling morons on raw...

Zach

lol

Hey, I listen to a lot of his podcasts and I don't recall any "he-she" talk and I'd like to think I'm pretty sensitive to transphobia. When did he say such a thing?

tm24

Which is exactly why I'm not skeptical. He's been great on it.
Ehhhh.
His partner is Vampiro....he's pretty much doing this shit by himself :/

Yeah, he's been doing a great job carrying Vamp, who is the worst announcer of 2014. But still, the commentary is still very ehh. It's just that it shows he's not familar with the product and i really think it's gonna show worse with NJPW.

On the bright side!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1351wi_kota-ibushi-vs-shinsuke-nakamura-njpw_sport

The rematch is gonna be great!

Foggy

Was the World Tag League event the first one streamed on njpwworld.com? Were there any streaming shenanigans or hiccups? You cynical bastards are making me hold off on buying the ppv.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Was the World Tag League event the first one streamed on njpwworld.com? Were there any streaming shenanigans or hiccups? You cynical bastards are making me hold off on buying the ppv.

I had no issues but I think that one was on a brief delay. They've been doing others live and people haven't complained at all. I haven't been awake at the right time to watch em, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom