• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*NO BOOK SPOILERS* Game of Thrones - Season 2 - Sundays on HBO (read rules in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMaRsu

Banned
It blows my mind that he is Lily Allen's brother. Granted she is not the prettiest girl out there, but she is not the ugliest neither.

lily-allen-15.jpg

I mean, wut?

It is known.

Ratrat

I never made the connection and I'm a fan. She even wrote a song about him titled Alfie. Apparently he has smoked a lot of weed.

Micerider

Well, both her and Jaime hate tyrion and would be fine with him dead. However, no one, not even Ned, predicted that Cat would man up at such a stupid time and actually have him arrested. To be fair to Cat, she was afraid she was found out about the crime as well.
That's definitely true, but both Stannis and she could have used each other to defeat the Lannisters. It would have been a back hand deal but no one would have suspected she was the murderer anyway.

I'm not quite sure what was said at the meeting between Renly & Stannis, but ned favoring Stannis could have resulted in some goodwill. Robb is going to have to go down and jkiss his butt anyway for assistance.

What? Cersei does certainly despsise her little brother, but Jaime loves him, and it is shown on numerous occasions in the show. For Jaime to attack Ned head-on in the streets about it was absolutly reckless and stupid, it was a purely emotionnal reaction, not something done for the greater interest of his family (which would rather be the attitude of Tywin, which has no love for his littlest son, but would do anything to protect his family's standing and reputation, including raising and helping his least loved child).

JGS

Banned
What? Cersei does certainly despsise her little brother, but Jaime loves him, and it is shown on numerous occasions in the show. For Jaime to attack Ned head-on in the streets about it was absolutly reckless and stupid, it was a purely emotionnal reaction, not something done for the greater interest of his family (which would rather be the attitude of Tywin, which has no love for his littlest son, but would do anything to protect his family's standing and reputation, including raising and helping his least loved child).
Tyrion is not liked by his siblings or father.

Those weren't indications of love, but honor and a hatred for Ned. Jaime may like him more I guess (There's actually very little interaction between them beyond the 1st episode), but Tyrion is a disgrace to the whole Lannister clan since (Before being the Hand or actually before being arrested which I think is what changed him), he was a drunk and he was the dwarf who killed their mother and Tywin's wife.

Framing him for the murder wouldn't have been surprising to me, but there also would not have been an expectation that a Lannister would suffer any great dishonor anyway. The only ones that would be in trouble would be Jaime & Cercei for the incest.

It doesn't come across in the show but Jamie loves and looks up to Tyrion, much to Cercei's disapproval. He respects him because of his intellect and feels lesser due to being mainly skilled in swordplay.

JGS

Banned
It doesn't come across in the show but Jamie loves and looks up to Tyrion, much to Cercei's disapproval. He respects him because of his intellect and feels lesser due to him being mainly skilled in swordplay.
I was just talking about it from the show's angle. I think in the premier episode, they do show their relationship pretty well and it's one where Jaime holds no particular ill will toward him, but obviously doesn't love him as much as Cercei lol.

That's also why I assumed it was Cercei, not Jaime, who hired the assassin. At the same time, I don't think Jaime cared to implicate his brother since it would be a longshot that there would be enough evidence to actually charge him (There wasn't, but that didn't stop Cat).

I never viewed it as close, but there really is too little interaction between them to judge. Tyrion more often comes across as someone you are forced to deal with since he doesn't back down. Tywin, who does dislike him (He may like him more after he went to war), went to war for him.

Micerider

Tyrion is not liked by his siblings or father.

Those weren't indications of love, but honor and a hatred for Ned. Jaime may like him more I guess (There's actually very little interaction between them beyond the 1st episode)

Honor for a Lannister is not killing another high-ranked Noble in the streets as a show-off. They are certainly not "bothered" by un-ethical actions, but they are still quite concerned about their image. I still see it as a rageous reaction to his brother's capture.

I agree there weren't many interactions, but some evidence are good indication for me (like the story Tyrion tells about Jaime offering him his first "woman" when they were adolescent, I don't think that the fact it turned bad was intended by Jaime and that the "lesson" from his father is rather linked to the fact that he wanted to make him understand that there Tyrion should not let himself go for a "simple" prostitute as a noble man).

Well, I'm not in Jaime's mind anyway, but that's my impression so far :).

Also, Im quite sure there is a moment, when Tyrion (presumably when he is visiting the Wall) talks about the fact that his sister hates him while his brother strangely likes him despite his condition.

Oh well, we might never know if Jaime's fate is to see the last of his days in Stark's custody (which I hope he won't, I find him an interesting character that is still a bit un-explored compared to his sibblings).

Ithil

Well, both her and Jaime hate tyrion and would be fine with him dead. However, no one, not even Ned, predicted that Cat would man up at such a stupid time and actually have him arrested. To be fair to Cat, she was afraid she was found out about the crime as well.
That's definitely true, but both Stannis and she could have used each other to defeat the Lannisters. It would have been a back hand deal but no one would have suspected she was the murderer anyway.

I'm not quite sure what was said at the meeting between Renly & Stannis, but ned favoring Stannis could have resulted in some goodwill. Robb is going to have to go down and jkiss his butt anyway for assistance.

What? Jaime doesn't hate Tyrion, at all, the two of them get on very well. It's Cersei and Tywin who treat Tyrion like shit.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
If you think this thread is bad, you shouldn't venture into the official one. Some people no longer give a toss about spoiler tags. At least you are moderately safe here.

JGS

Banned
Honor for a Lannister is not killing another high-ranked Noble in the streets as a show-off. They are certainly not "bothered" by un-ethical actions, but they are still quite concerned about their image. I still see it as a rageous reaction to his brother's capture.
Their image was in tact because 1. Ned quit as The Hand & 2. The Starks started the disrespect by arresting Tyrion without cause.

The conversations between Ned & Jaime were clear indication that all that was need between them was a spark to be set off & Tyrion's arrest was a great one.

I agree there weren't many interactions, but some evidence are good indication for me (like the story Tyrion tells about Jaime offering him his first "woman" when they were adolescent, I don't think that the fact it turned bad was intended by Jaime and that the "lesson" from his father is rather linked to the fact that he wanted to make him understand that there Tyrion should not let himself go for a "simple" prostitute as a noble man).

Well, I'm not in Jaime's mind anyway, but that's my impression so far :).
Well, I see that but also think it's still a relationship based on pity and love is definitely ranked in the Lannister clan with Tyrion being squarely at the bottom. Again, the circumstances surrounding the dagger were not anticipated. The dagger was expensive and was good enough reason to use for the assasination attempt. No one was supposed to find it or figure out who it belonged to (Littlefinger in a bet with Tyrion. What are the odds of that?).

So even if Jaime loves his brother, it was still understandable if he gave the knife for payment (Tyrion wouldn't appear to care enough to notice)

Oh well, we might never know if Jaime's fate is to see the last of his days in Stark's custody (which I hope he won't, I find him an interesting character that is still a bit un-explored compared to his sibblings).
I like Jaime's character too and the hooker story was interesting. I can't imagine it ending wth him in prison (Just like it's hard for me to imagine Robb coming out ahead in the end).

It makes his relationship with Cercei more interesting too since Cercei has been sleeping with her cousin for quite soeme time as well as Jaime & the late king Robert.

Micerider

It makes his relationship with Cercei more interesting too since Cercei has been sleeping with her cousin for quite soeme time as well as Jaime & the late king Robert.

That bit is something I am very curious about. There is no indication that Jaime is "unfaithfull" to his sister and truely seem to have a dedicated love toward her. So I wonder what his reaction towar Cersei would be if he were to find out some of her secrecy.

I see Jaime as a bit of a fool in this story. He is probably the most candid/True to his emotions of the Lannisters (that does not make him less of an assh*le when he wants to) and I pitty him.

Cersei loves him, she made it quite clear but she has probably not the same respect (sleeping with cousin and all).

Road

It comes across in the show, just not in an "in-your-face" kind of way (hhmm I wonder, should HBO make Jaime bang Tyrion to show it? They'd probably consider it :p ).
No, you're obviously a book reader "reading between the lines" things that have really only been said or implied in the books:

Ok, I get your point. Makes sense strategically.

As a side note, and I won't derail in the books too much (only a comparison between characters as shown in season 1 and book 1 -did not read further anyway-) I feel that Jaime is indeed shown as too "redundant" in the show whereas he is clearly shown as a splendid combatant to behold in the books as well as an extraordinary field war-leader (whereas his father is more of a plotting back-line war-leader).

His psychology in the show is nice, but the character has less of it's qualities and competencies shown.

To mods : do not hesitate to remove the above if your think the comparison between season 1 and book 1 should not be part of this thread.

Micerider

No, you're obviously a book reader "reading between the lines" things that have really only been said or implied in the books:

Maybe so. It is true that I have read the first book (not the second) and have claimed it openly and it is maybe shading my vision of the series in a different color. The thing is, I read the first book after seeing season 1 (and will do the same for the second) and upon completion of first season, not having touched the book yet, I was already convinced that Jaime loved his brother (Edit : but I cannot exclude that this feeling might have been strengthened by my reading).

Road

Maybe so. It is true that I have read the first book (not the second) and have claimed it openly and it is maybe shading my vision of the series in a different color. The thing is, I read the first book after seeing season 1 (and will do the same for the second) and upon completion of first season, not having touched the book yet, I was already convinced that Jaime loved his brother (Edit : but I cannot exclude that this feeling might have been strengthened by my reading).

Look, I don't want you to be banned or anything, but your opinions are tainted. Maybe you can completely separate the book and the shows -- they are not the same thing -- but I find that incredibly hard to do. You'll most likely, even if unconsciously, speak from the perspective of the books -- as it seems you've been doing.

Micerider

Look, I don't want you to be banned or anything, but your opinions are tainted. Maybe you can completely separate the book and the shows -- they are not the same thing -- but I find that incredibly hard to do. You'll most likely, even if unconsciously, speak from the perspective of the books -- as it seems you've been doing.

I understand that, I have absolutely no intention to do so. I felt it pretty safe to post here as I did not read second book yet and could therefore hardly spoil anything for any viewer but I don't want to bring input that might point to differences between books and the show.

I'm pretty enthusiastic about the show but I don't feel safe to discuss it in the other threads by fear of being spoiled myself (which has already been the case on a few things unfortunately, nothing major thankfully) and I'm still kinda happy to be able to participate to predictions and interpretations discussion around here.

Yet if other viewers think that it might be better off to leave any of those on the side to let them be "pure" about any background data, I can do that, I perfectly understand it. I can keep it down to the "Cool Ep", "was not expecting that" or "can't wait for next week". ;)

scy

Yet if other viewers think that it might be better off to leave any of those on the side to let them be "pure" about any background data, I can do that, I perfectly understand it. I can keep it down to the "Cool Ep", "was not expecting that" or "can't wait for next week". ;)

Most of us book readers have been asked to stay out of posting in this thread so it may be for the best right now.

Jamie gave Tyrion three (!) hookers in the first episode, isn't that love?

The things he does for love.

Micerider

Most of us book readers have been asked to stay out of posting in this thread so it may be for the best right now.

Yeah, I will certainly do that, too much of a hassle to ponder every post to make sure that my views are not tainted by the book reading.

Quite Frustrating though, as I am as new to the events in season 2 as any non-book reader and would like to discuss those specifically.

What a mess would it be to have a thread for each step of the book-reading progression ("Thread of NON-book spoiler past book 1 for viewers of Season 2" there might be 3 to 4 participants there w00t!).

The things he does for love.

SEE!! It's in the show ;)

scy

Yeah, I will certainly do that, too much of a hassle to ponder every post to make sure that my views are not tainted by the book reading.

I just lurk the thread now (well, besides that last post and this one). It's basically the "safest" option for the non-book readers to just not have the book readers around since someone may screw up and ruin things for others (either intentionally or accidentally).

Maybe there's an eventual better solution but, for the time being, I'd say just operate under that and hope for the best regarding spoilers in the other thread.

Jamie gave Tyrion three (!) hookers in the first episode, isn't that love?

I got the impression that Jamie tolerates Tyrion's proclivities and probably respects his intellect more than the other Lannisters but I don't get the impression that he looks up to Tyrion or loves him over much. Didn't he say Tyrion was the "least of us?" or was that Tywin?

Chuckie

I got the impression that Jamie tolerates Tyrion's proclivities and probably respects his intellect more than the other Lannisters but I don't get the impression that he looks up to Tyrion or loves him over much. Didn't he say Tyrion was the "least of us?" or was that Tywin?

That was Tywin, talking to Jamie.

Zb44O.jpg

SPOILER RULES:

- ABSOLUTELY NO BOOK SPOILERS. It doesn't matter if they're under spoiler tags, they should not be in this thread. Use the other thread for book-related television discussion. This includes alluding to things, subtle hinting, comparing the books to the show, etc...

- Regular TV thread rules apply:
  • Once something airs in the US on the East Coast, it's fair game. Feel free to discuss anything that has aired without using spoiler tags.
  • Anything that hasn't aired yet should be spoiler tagged including information from HBO previews, loglines, trailers, interviews, and a few other places.
  • Speculation from people that haven't read the books is fine and encouraged.

- For the non-book readers using this thread:
  • If you have any questions about plot points or want clarification on something, feel free to send a PM to any of the helpful volunteers (see below) and ask them.
  • If you're curious about how things unfolded differently the book, please use the other thread.

- For the book readers that want to lurk in this thread:
  • No taunting or teasing:
    e.g. "Oh, just wait until you guys see what happens to him next week!!!"
  • No leading questions:
    e.g. "What do you think will happen to this character by the end of the season?"
  • No comparing the book to the show:
    e.g. "Well, that's different than in the book where they..."
  • Answering questions is fine when the information is readily available from what has aired on the show.
    e.g. Q: "Wait, how is Robb related to Ned?" A: "Robb is Ned's son."

The bottom line is that this thread was created for people that haven't read the books to enjoy and discuss the television show. Keep their interests in mind and let them enjoy the show on their own terms without constantly pestering them. In general, there isn't a good reason for book readers to post in this thread. Thanks for your help.
Thanks for your cooperation.

The music during his baptism is pretty great. Actually, it was during the last episode that I realised that each nation has its own theme.

It blows my mind that he is Lily Allen's brother. Granted she is not the prettiest girl out there, but she is not the ugliest neither.

lily-allen-15.jpg

I mean, wut?

She should have been cast as Yara.

J-Rod

I posted this in the other thread, but it feels like a minefield in there and not very enjoyable to me because most of the text is behind black bars.

I wish the wolves were talked about more. It seems like they are barely even acknowledged except for Robb's. So far I haven't heard of any encounters with wild ones much less anyone else having one as a pet, so I would think it is unusual enough for characters in the show to comment on more often. Specifically, it seems no one gives a shit that snow has a giant wolf buddy. It's unclear to me if the party he's with thinks it is dangerous to have around, if it is awesome, if it is no big deal, if it is wtf, if they have mixed feelings, or what. I understand why they can't show them often, but I wish I knew what the general attitude towards them is.

I posted this in the other thread, but it feels like a minefield in there and not very enjoyable to me because most of the text is behind black bars.

I wish the wolves were talked about more. It seems like they are barely even acknowledged except for Robb's. So far I haven't heard of any encounters with wild ones much less anyone else having one as a pet, so I would think it is unusual enough for characters in the show to comment on more often. Specifically, it seems no one gives a shit that snow has a giant wolf buddy. It's unclear to me if the party he's with thinks it is dangerous to have around, if it is awesome, if it is no big deal, if it is wtf, if they have mixed feelings, or what. I understand why they can't show them often, but I wish I knew what the general attitude towards them is.

I was thinking about that too, did he leave Snow back at the wall? Why haven't we seen Snow at all? But they do talk about Robb's wolf all the time, its like his defining feature

edit: actually I take that back we did see Snow for like 3 seconds when the daughterwife got growled at and fatso shooed him away.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I was thinking about that too, did he leave Snow back at the wall? Why haven't we seen Snow at all? But they do talk about Robb's wolf all the time, its like his defining feature

I remember reading somewhere else that you can see him in one of the shots. Just checked and around 28 mins in you can see him when they're setting up the camp.

sangreal

Mormont specifically mentions he wants Snow's wolf to come before they head out at the end of Season 1 btw. "I want you and your wolf with us" or something like that. I'd love to know what Arya's wolf is up to these days

Irish

Heh, Ghost looks like a damned polar bear in that scene where they are talking on top of the fist of the first men.

JGS

Banned
Mormont specifically mentions he wants Snow's wolf to come before they head out at the end of Season 1 btw. "I want you and your wolf with us" or something like that. I'd love to know what Arya's wolf is up to these days
That's the one I want to know about, but she released it pretty firmly last season so maybe the link was broken. I hope not.

I'm thinking that Snow has been on the Wall long enough that people are just used to Ghost being around and doing as he pleases since he's so loyal to Jon.

Jonm1010

Banned
That's the one I want to know about, but she released it pretty firmly last season so maybe the link was broken. I hope not.

I'm thinking that Snow has been on the Wall long enough that people are just used to Ghost being around and doing as he pleases since he's so loyal to Jon.

I do feel like they should make a passing comment as such because it is a little odd how the wolf is supposedly so protective of Jon yet at certain moments like when the guy who screws all his daughters knocks him and drags him back to the rest of them, Ghost is nowhere to be seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom