• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky 1.3 Update releasing this week (portals, expanded story, and more)

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Sorry but I will complain about this shithead in every thread if I have the chance. He got away with millions of cash and now they give us a few little updates so that the few people that still play this won't make their voice loud again on forums like you. Million people paid 60$ at release and now we should forget that?

There were people that enjoyed the game at launch, the content updates they worked on were not small, trivial, or cheap to produce and we have three of them less than a year from launch with a lot of smaller patches throughout its release history. They are also helping to fund other smaller indie developers. I do not see it as running away with the money.

Also, you are not taking a stand against Hello Games a year post launch, but detailing a community thread.

JoeBoy101

Exactly. It is applaudable that they are still releasing updates for the game, but the ship has pretty much sailed. The sensible solution is to admit the mistakes, start working on the next project and reorganize the studio so that bad reputation won't follow.

So, the sensible move with your reputation in the gutter is to make it even worse by pulling the cord on the game and starting full blown development on a new one and change your name? How is that doing right by the customer or ethical even?

HG is trying to earn goodwill back by providing significant support for the game and treating people's purchases of it as investments. That helps offset the sizable damage the pre-launch marketing campaign did, as well as the state of the game. The reception of the patches speaks directly to this. Sure, you're going to have salty people like this...

Mendrox said:
He got away with millions of cash and now they give us a few little updates

and not without cause. Do you really think though, that they were going to buy his next project? That's not being very realistic at all.

Also, Mendrox, please classify with an example or two what you call a LARGE update. Because 95% of developers (yes, that's an ass number), don't provide post-launch support of even half this size.

Sorry but I will complain about this shithead in every thread if I have the chance. He got away with millions of cash and now they give us a few little updates so that the few people that still play this won't make their voice loud again on forums like you. Million people paid 60$ at release and now we should forget that?

Sounds like a lot of still need to learn to not buy games day 1, and wait for reviews and let's play-videos instead.

The game has been out for a year, it's been discussed över and over what happened, and some of us whats thread about the game to be about moving forward instead.

Does anyone know if it's possible to swap the functions of the "stick clicks", L3 and R3? If I recall correctly, R3 was sprint and L3 was scan and it really needs to be the other way around for me. :p Nothing I can't deal with though.

I find it hard to take seriously when an adult is still upset over a poor $60 game more than a year later. At the very least it just comes across as pathetic, to have so little else in life that you care about it enough a year later to haunt and dent the community that's still playing it.

Does anyone know if it's possible to swap the functions of the "stick clicks", L3 and R3? If I recall correctly, R3 was sprint and L3 was scan and it really needs to be the other way around for me. :p Nothing I can't deal with though.

You can change control mapping in the PS4 menu manually so that may help you :)

Ferr986

Give me a fucking break. The patches haven't been minor, adding base building is not something that is done in 1 month.

Yes, they fucked up the release, but that shit has been beated to death. You are just derailing the thread because you think your opinion is more important that the people that enjoy the game and wants to talk about the new patch.

Seriously, fucking let it go already, they didn't ran away with the money, they're still working in this game.

goonergaz

giphy.gif

Give me a fucking break. The patches haven't been minor, adding base building is not something that is done in 1 month.

Yes, they fucked up the release, but that shit has been beated to death. You are just derailing the thread because you think your opinion is more important that the people that enjoy the game and wants to talk about the new patch.

Seriously, fucking let it go already, they didn't ran away with the money, they're still working in this game.

Exactly, all the shit posting a year on just gets boring and dull. It's clear that the game didn't launch how Hello Games wished, but they've been working on it since and with a year extra development time they seem to be closing in on their original vision.

MattAces

This is what happens when you announce an update without any details with it, nothing to discuss other than people start derailing the thread and back to the classic topic of Sean Murray is a scammer. Every NMS thread needs a moderator to clear these shit before it gets worse.

Let's just be realistic here, do people really think that they can reason or change the mind of people making low effort replies/comments on how NMS is an early access scam. Literally one year later and people still couldn't let it go. I get the whole we shouldn't forget how terrible he is, but gosh, the discussion will bring us to nowhere, why continue the cycle.

Anyway, I'm fully prepared to restart my progress again, haven't really dive into the last update.

Necro900

How are posts like this one allowed here? Do you realize this is the thread for discussing patch 1.3? What are you doing here, exactly, spouting this crap and calling devs "shithead"?

Also "little updates" is such an understatement that it really speaks volumes about your stance.
As for the "they got away with millions": they've been developing updates for over a year, and they've started a project for helping indie devs fund their games.
Do you think salaries for a year and funding projects are free of charge? They didn't run off with the money, they've been working their ass off and giving back something to the community (even with an ARG that entertained thousands of people), and yet people like you come here and try to spin the usual shit when people just want to discuss something they're excited about.

Really, why bother? And please, stop insulting people or other people's work. It's shameful.

Orgun

Awesome, looking forward to this next update. Didn't really get a chance to play the last one.

Love me some NMS, so relaxing

How do people who enjoy NMS feel about Elite Dangerous, which also doesn't have a story? For the record, I enjoy both games, I'm just genuinely curious why a meaningful story is necessary (which honestly, I wish Elite had as well).

Magypsy

Very interesting that some people are still salty about the state of NMS at launch. I'd argue that that's bad for your health.

I haven't played it yet (didn't have my PS4 when this came out). I'm interested in hearing what kind of stuff this patch provides, and I'll probably buy it soon. Exciting!!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Really interested in seeing what is up with this new story content. I'll definitely reinstall.

MattAces

I'm VERY excited just for the update video. The last two update videos explaining features are so impressively well done with the voice.

Moobabe

I'm VERY excited just for the update video. The last two update videos explaining features are so impressively well done with the voice.

Have we got an ETA on this? The last update's video and patch notes were almost enough to tip me over the edge, and this one could well do if there's lots of cool stuff in it.

MattAces

Have we got an ETA on this? The last update's video and patch notes were almost enough to tip me over the edge, and this one could well do if there's lots of cool stuff in it.

All we know is this week sadly. I'm expecting Monday is when they will release the video and Tuesday will be the patch.

Necro900

All we know is this week sadly. I'm expecting Monday is when they will release the video and Tuesday will be the patch.

I think it's this week as in the 7-13 August week, not 7 days from now. We'll still probably going to get the update on sunday, though

I think it's this week as in the 7-13 August week, not 7 days from now. We'll still probably going to get the update on sunday, though

Seems likely they'd want to push it out tomorrow or Friday I'd have thought, so people have the weekend to dive into the new content.

Previous updates dropped on a Sunday as well, so I think that sounds about right.

Nevermind then. Sunday makes sense if the previous ones also dropped on Sundays.

MattAces

Oh yea, just realize that.
Seems a little weird for them to end the huge ARG with just an email anyway, here's hoping we're getting the trailer today.

Snoopycat

Banned
Have they improved the actual gameplay? I haven't played since launch but back then all you did was mine for the sake of mining. In fact, it seemed the entire game was nothing but a tedious inventory management simulator. I travelled to other worlds and quckly discovered they were all mostly identical. The bases were identical, the npcs were identical, the sentinels were identical. The only differences seemed to be that occasionally there'd be an icy planet, or a watery planet and the animals would have slight variations. It was certainly nothing like what Sean Murray claimed the game would be. I'd be happy to download the game again but before I do, I'd like to know if everything above is still the same

gossi

Have they improved the actual gameplay? I haven't played since launch but back then all you did was mine for the sake of mining. In fact, it seemed the entire game was nothing but a tedious inventory management simulator. I travelled to other worlds and quckly discovered they were all mostly identical. The bases were identical, the npcs were identical, the sentinels were identical. The only differences seemed to be that occasionally there'd be an icy planet, or a watery planet and the animals would have slight variations. It was certainly nothing like what Sean Murray claimed the game would be. I'd be happy to download the game again but before I do, I'd like to know if everything above is still the same

The gameplay loop is the same. They added bases, which you mine to build.

Waiting on the next sell to pick this up on PC.

I actually kinda enjoyed the base game, bitter disappoint aside. Kinda looking forward to playing it again with some David Bowie playing in the background.

gossi

Waiting on the next sell to pick this up on PC.

I actually kinda enjoyed the base game, bitter disappoint aside. Kinda looking forward to playing it again with some David Bowie playing in the background.

It's £15 on Humble Bundle (unless that finished). 9 quid on PS.

Snoopycat

Banned
The gameplay loop is the same. They added bases, which you mine to build.

Oh well. I guess I'll wait for the next update then. Basebuilding, owning ships and portals all sounds good but if the basic gameplay hasn't been updated then I'll not bother.

c0Zm1c

If you were seeing mostly identical planets then you must have been having some really poor luck with the procedural generation of the systems you were visiting. What I can say about my own experience with the game is that a lot of the flora repeats and, after a while, I did start to see similar patterns in the terrain generation (even after the proc gen updates this is still the case). But I really can't say the planets I've landed on are, as a whole, "mostly identical". There's a lot of variation in there, despite the stuff that does repeat. In some cases, as with the sentinels, that repetition does make contextual sense.

For gameplay updates check out the trailers for the Foundation and Path Finder updates.

Jeseus

yep.. you are right. I paid over 50€ at launch too. I feel your pain.

gossi

I think the thing with No Man's Sky is you have to keep expectations in check. I remember before launch somebody on GAF saying they would never buy another game ever again, as No Man's Sky would be the only game they ever needed.

Based on no information. It was never designed to be that game. It's a tiny indie studio game.

It's a space mining game. Sean himself describes the game as "weird" and "niche".

I actually really like it, it's great to dip in and out of.

kiguel182

I might grab this after he update goes live and we see full patch notes. For 15 bucks seems like a good purchase.

Altought I have way too many stuff to play already!

Yeah, this game wasn't what we were told it was going to be. But I had a lot of fun playing it. I got the plat within about 3 weeks of launch and haven't played it since. The 2 previous updates seemed really great additions, and this one, now that it includes some more story elements I'll give it another play. I've just picked it up on PC in anticipation for this patch. It's cheap on the Humble Store right now too, in EU at least, not sure on other regions.

Kolibri

Will be interested to see these patch notes.

With all the hype surrounding this update, it had better be major.

Don't think the gameplay loop has mechanically changed per se. That said, I never played at release.

But personally for me at least, having a home base dramatically increased my attachment and motivation for the gameplay loop of both prosperity and exploration, and IMO the way the survival loop was meant to be played is with the new permadeath mode.

IMO it's become of of the best survive-prosper games around now.... it doesn't do either of them quite as well as the best games do either of them, but it's probably one of the best balances of the two.

Septimius

I know that people feel entitled, and to a certain degree they are entitled to a quality product one can expect for 60$. However, there's nothing illegal that has happened. If anything, it goes to show that the pre-order culture we have going needs to stop. The incriminating thing there is that they even delayed reviewers getting a copy, that would have had a possibility to dampen the hype train.

This most definitely is a "speak with your wallet" kind of situation. There are plenty of immoral and unethical things that have happened with the launch of this game, but this is one of those things where we gain experience, not where we have a lynch mob against a team.

Chichikov

So, the sensible move with your reputation in the gutter is to make it even worse by pulling the cord on the game and starting full blown development on a new one and change your name? How is that doing right by the customer or ethical even?

HG is trying to earn goodwill back by providing significant support for the game and treating people's purchases of it as investments. That helps offset the sizable damage the pre-launch marketing campaign did, as well as the state of the game. The reception of the patches speaks directly to this. Sure, you're going to have salty people like this...
While I do believe that the general opinion of Hello Games and Sean Murray had suffered in the wake of No Man's Sky's release, I don't think it's to a level that would stop people from buying their next game if it looks good, reviews well and have a good word of mouth.

Yeah, generating hype for their next project will be a bit more difficult since people might be a bit more skeptical (though they will generate publicity if they want since love it or hate it, No Man's Sky was a big story).
And generally I just don't think those patches are going to move public opinion on that game too much. I think people who liked the game generally feel like their got their money's worth and I don't think too many people who didn't like it will change their mind because of patches like this.
So yeah, from a business perspective I think it makes perfect sense to them to shift resources toward their next project.
Though obviously, if I was still playing No Man's Sky I would say fuck your business priorities, I don't give a fuck, give me more content.

How do people who enjoy NMS feel about Elite Dangerous, which also doesn't have a story? For the record, I enjoy both games, I'm just genuinely curious why a meaningful story is necessary (which honestly, I wish Elite had as well).
I enjoyed the space combat and flying in general elite a whole lot.
I did not enjoy it in NMS.

My problems with NMS were never about the story.

I actually finally fired this game up on the PS4 last week. I thought it was really cool and liked feeling like a starpilot. Unfortunately, I already dropped it because it got so grating on how long it took to actually do something in the game. As much as I enjoyed how detailed a lot of the spaceflight stuff was, it just got so tedious warping to a system then taking a few minutes to get in range/dropping out of frameshift, then another couple just to dock, rinse and repeat. Don't get me started on landing on planets, that seemed to take even longer. I don't have a lot of time to game in the first place so wasted time is a big deal for me. If this was ten years ago and I had a lot more time, I'd prob give it more of a chance. I still remember I played the game for 2 hours and couldn't figure out how to find this black box thing. That's the other thing, I ended up constantly looking online how to do certain things in the game because it doesn't tell you much in-game.

That was one of the things about no man's sky that was good, although it was straightforward and arcade-like, it cut out all of the wasted time in transit. And guided you on how to do things.

In terms of story I wish they both had story campaigns. In fact, Elite just throws you out in the world with hardly any objectives. Sure, some people like to "make their own story" but when I realized there's nothing pushing me to go anywhere it got boring. At least in NMS there was the goal of getting to the center.

pots555

I have the game since launch. Played a lot of it in the first week but got bored mining for everything. Did not help that my planets were very boring. But still, I kept it, in the hope that they would continue working on it. Glad I held on to my copy. Can't wait for the update to start a new game.

I actually finally fired this game up on the PS4 last week. I thought it was really cool and liked feeling like a starpilot. Unfortunately, I already dropped it because it got so grating on how long it took to actually do something in the game. As much as I enjoyed how detailed a lot of the spaceflight stuff was, it just got so tedious warping to a system then taking a few minutes to get in range/dropping out of frameshift, then another couple just to dock, rinse and repeat. Don't get me started on landing on planets, that seemed to take even longer. I don't have a lot of time to game in the first place so wasted time is a big deal for me. If this was ten years ago and I had a lot more time, I'd prob give it more of a chance. I still remember I played the game for 2 hours and couldn't figure out how to find this black box thing. That's the other thing, I ended up constantly looking online how to do certain things in the game because it doesn't tell you much in-game.

That was one of the things about no man's sky that was good, although it was straightforward and arcade-like, it cut out all of the wasted time in transit. And guided you on how to do things.

In terms of story I wish they both had story campaigns. In fact, Elite just throws you out in the world with hardly any objectives. Sure, some people like to "make their own story" but when I realized there's nothing pushing me to go anywhere it got boring. At least in NMS there was the goal of getting to the center.

I think its because Elite is full on simulation with a 1:1 galaxy so I can understand why you'd get frustrated with that aspect. I quite enjoyed all that, but its also why I can appreciate NMS' arcade simplicity. I like both games for varying different reasons, but they could definitely learn from each other (and both do things better). I'm excited for the new update!

I have the game since launch. Played a lot of it in the first week but got bored mining for everything. Did not help that my planets were very boring. But still, I kept it, in the hope that they would continue working on it. Glad I held on to my copy. Can't wait for the update to start a new game.

Same here. Played 50 hours in the first week and then stopped. The only physical game that I haven't sold yet hopping someday it will get better.

glaurung

Agreed, if Elite Dangerous had a story campaign, I'd play that so hard. As it stands however, I have put more hours into Elite on PS4 than NMS. Your ships will get noticeably faster as you upgrade, so the travel bit won't be that much of a chore.

And now that I think about it, I think the NPC characters aren't very memorable in Elite either. Even the engineers that have crazy skills - I cannot remember their faces. If there was a more elaborate way to meet them, maybe they'd make an impression.

What I'm glad about is the potential lore setup here. We know how some of the 4th race look like (we had concept art) but we don't know their purpose and how they differ. Having them just be a regular race like the others would be a boring choice but I don't really think it would be that simple.

The idea, however, that the whole universe is the dream of a sentient AI (Emily/Loop16) provides a lot of interesting directions for the story to go to. I'm intrigued. Especially because (in lore) the said AI is causing havoc in the real world, using a ton of computational power from various sources and overloading servers while doing so. It is also unclear whether she is the enemy or not.

It sort of reminds me of Oblivion (the movie) where you had the alien monolith impersonate a friendly human base officer but turned out to be the evil overlord. Wonder if that will happen with Emily too and if she will need to be stopped in-game.

Additionally, HG said they are taking over the ARG component and we still have some glyphs to unlock. I wonder if the game will have a permanent ARG component to it from this point on as well.

Top Bottom