• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Atlas Rises |OT| Nada, Polo and you no longer fly solo

E92 M3

It appears to be the keyboard & mouse controls people are complaining about. From what I've heard, the experimental update thankfully hasn't changed the controller controls (which I love).

To be fair to HG, it's hard to design good flight controls around KB&M. If you use the keyboard, you have no analog movement. If you use a mouse, you don't have a neutral center point. KB (the way they had it) is probably the best option, despite the less precise input. Really, everyone should just be using a controller with this game.

Oh okay...that's much better lol.

Colbert

Banned
Ahem, presumably total fake but there is a tweet that pretends No Man's Sky is coming to Xbox One ...

r7841et.png

Edit:
seems to be fake because of
nqxo5RHu.jpg

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Does the value of your current freighter get discounted when you purchase a new one? I have enough money to get a small one now, but I don't want to just burn my cash.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Can someone explain what happens
at the center now? Like when completing the main story, can you pick a new galaxy or do you just go to the next galaxy in order when reaching the center on your own?

Soulfire

I just logged into my save file after three days not playing and everything was distorted and weird, the planet I was on was invisible and the game acted like I was underwater. I quickly died which I figured was a good thing since I couldn't do anything and hopefully it would spawn me on the planet correctly. I don't know what happened but as soon as I respawned I died, this happened two more times and then it stopped, however as soon as I took a step forward I died again. After about three more deaths I was finally able to walk around without dying, but the sound wasn't working and when I pressed the square button it acted like I was still in my ship and told me it couldn't land. So I decided to just close out of the application and restart. That seems to have fixed things, however I lost everything in my suits inventory and when I go to my grave it gives me nothing. I can't remember all I had, but I'm sure I ended up losing something valuable. Ugh.

Tumle

Does the value of your current freighter get discounted when you purchase a new one? I have enough money to get a small one now, but I don't want to just burn my cash.
It does with normal ship purchases.. so can't see why it wouldn't with freighters.. but haven't baught a freighter yet so actually can't tell you :)

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Yes. Works just like regular starships.

Minamu

How far into the new story am I? I crafted (and used) the mind arc from stuff lying around in my base, took less than 10 minutes :lol

I just logged into my save file after three days not playing and everything was distorted and weird, the planet I was on was invisible and the game acted like I was underwater. I quickly died which I figured was a good thing since I couldn't do anything and hopefully it would spawn me on the planet correctly. I don't know what happened but as soon as I respawned I died, this happened two more times and then it stopped, however as soon as I took a step forward I died again. After about three more deaths I was finally able to walk around without dying, but the sound wasn't working and when I pressed the square button it acted like I was still in my ship and told me it couldn't land. So I decided to just close out of the application and restart. That seems to have fixed things, however I lost everything in my suits inventory and when I go to my grave it gives me nothing. I can't remember all I had, but I'm sure I ended up losing something valuable. Ugh.

If on PC: any new mods or patches downloaded in between? That can cause bugs. If it happens again, quit and delete all the shader cache files. Also, back you save game files up after every play session just in case a major bug forces you to roll back.

I wish I could get on the Hello Games payroll :) I love the game and just passed the 500 hour milestone but every time I play I make a list of suggestions and bugs to send.

Soulfire

If on PC: any new mods or patches downloaded in between? That can cause bugs. If it happens again, quit and delete all the shader cache files. Also, back you save game files up after every play session just in case a major bug forces you to roll back.
I'm on PS4, but thanks for the advice

The updates and mods have gotten to the point where planets looks so good and immersive that I could just jet around for collecting, mining and scanning for hours. Haven't felt like that since I first played the game.

I wish I could get on the Hello Games payroll :) I love the game and just passed the 500 hour milestone but every time I play I make a list of suggestions and bugs to send.

That's what I want...a read out of how many hours I've played in PS4. I just don't know how many I've played :(

MaKTaiL

http://steamcommunity.com/app/275850/discussions/0/1474221865183233621/?ctp=15

Hello Games said:
"Hey all,

Just to update you all - we're currently working on an additional experimental patch to address some of the feedback you've had about the new mouse & keyboard flight controls.

In addition, we're looking into adding a toggle to allow you to choose between the original control scheme and the new mouse & keyboard scheme.

The patch will be coming to experimental soon, stay tuned. In the meantime, please do continue to share any bug reports/issues you're coming across while playing experimental.

Hohbes"

GG Hello Games!

Update to the update :D

Update - 12/09/17

In response to your feedback, we've rolled out an additional patch, covering the following:

Control scheme tweaks

Added the option to switch between the new Tethered control scheme and the previous Locked control scheme
Fixed a bug that caused the Tethered control scheme to be less responsive than expected for some players
Restored previous keybindings for ship movement and landing, however players can still bind Turn Left and Turn Right to the keyboard in the settings menu
Added inverted mouse movement for the new Tethered control scheme

Other fixes

In addition to the above control tweaks, we've also fixed the following:
Fixed an issue that could cause excess items to disappear when transferring items from large to small inventory slots (for example, from Freighter to Exosuit)
Fixed an issue that affected Freighter prices, all Freighters will now be appropriately priced
Updated conflict icons in the galactic map to represent difficulty level
Fixed hazard fullscreen effects
Fixed control issues which occur if you enter a portal with the quick menu open
Added Carite Sheets to list of known products in Creative Mode

Finally got around since launch to starting a new save, this one in survival mode. Yesterday I learned that basebuilding to get an exocraft is the highest priority, because bombing around in the exocraft is more fun than it ever should be.

Loving this game.

Update to the update :D

Update - 12/09/17

In response to your feedback, we've rolled out an additional patch, covering the following:

Control scheme tweaks

Added the option to switch between the new Tethered control scheme and the previous Locked control scheme
Fixed a bug that caused the Tethered control scheme to be less responsive than expected for some players
Restored previous keybindings for ship movement and landing, however players can still bind Turn Left and Turn Right to the keyboard in the settings menu
Added inverted mouse movement for the new Tethered control scheme

Other fixes

In addition to the above control tweaks, we've also fixed the following:
Fixed an issue that could cause excess items to disappear when transferring items from large to small inventory slots (for example, from Freighter to Exosuit)
Fixed an issue that affected Freighter prices, all Freighters will now be appropriately priced
Updated conflict icons in the galactic map to represent difficulty level
Fixed hazard fullscreen effects
Fixed control issues which occur if you enter a portal with the quick menu open
Added Carite Sheets to list of known products in Creative Mode

Tethered control is much better now. With my flight sensitivity set to 12 and no mouse smoothing it's still a bit fiddly fighting pirates but they nerfed the roll and mouse movement speeds so the ship doesn't swing around like it's out of control. Now I can fly in low orbit with crashing into everything again :)

Trojan

Is it worth finishing the story for
Artemis' quest line if I already have the terrain deformer? I probably just want to go to the center of the galaxy at this point but if there is a compelling reason to finish this part of the story I might do it. It's just getting a little tedious with all the fetch quests and the amount of travel required.

I'm at the part where I need to do 3 mecenaries guild missions to build standing with the Vykeen...not sure how close to the end I already am.

Another small experimental patch is going out now - this includes the following:

- Players who find themselves a long way away from their mission destination can use the log to reset the mission and use appropriate local structures. The mission log will highlight missions with destinations over several thousand light years away with a red icon. Holding R3 or middle mouse over this icon will reset the mission at the most recent safe stage and allow progress to continue
- Fixed an issue where some players did not receive all of the portal glyphs. If you experienced this, the next time you find a portal glyph, any that were previously missed should be restored.

Another small experimental patch is going out now - this includes the following:

- Players who find themselves a long way away from their mission destination can use the log to reset the mission and use appropriate local structures. The mission log will highlight missions with destinations over several thousand light years away with a red icon. Holding R3 or middle mouse over this icon will reset the mission at the most recent safe stage and allow progress to continue
- Fixed an issue where some players did not receive all of the portal glyphs. If you experienced this, the next time you find a portal glyph, any that were previously missed should be restored.

Ah cool, those fixes should help several people here.

Patch 1.36 is still not available for PS4 right?

It's not out for PC, either. Only changes on the Steam experimental branch right now.

Minamu

Did I find a bug? I was supposed to do 3 explorer missions to up my standing, and I have but not all in the same system. The mission has logged my successes as complete and it tells me to talk to their representative, but it guides me to the mission list npc still and he won't talk to me about anything else than new missions... meanwhile, the icon tells me to go to him but the text says the mission is in another star system, approximately 10 jumps away to a new place, but there's nothing there :/

Handy Fake

Did I find a bug? I was supposed to do 3 explorer missions to up my standing, and I have but not all in the same system. The mission has logged my successes as complete and it tells me to talk to their representative, but it guides me to the mission list npc still and he won't talk to me about anything else than new missions... meanwhile, the icon tells me to go to him but the text says the mission is in another star system, approximately 10 jumps away to a new place, but there's nothing there :/

I'm not sure on this, but I *think* you need to go back to the system where you first got the mission.

I think I read a post on here about it, but I may also have imagined it in the throes of a fevered dream.

It's a bloody miracle. I reset Patterns of Time and I can now continue the main story!

MaKTaiL

They seem to have address all the major bugs I was hanging in this latest patch. Can't wait to play it on PS4. I wonder if this will be the last patch before 1.4.

mokeyjoe

They seem to have address all the major bugs I was hanging in this latest patch. Can't wait to play it on PS4. I wonder if this will be the last patch before 1.4.

They’re spending more time on it so I think they’re hoping so. Most of the remaining game breaking bugs should be squashed with this one.

Eagerly anticipating 1.4...

I fucking hope not. There's still a ton of QoL issues, such as the base teleporter is still a mess, exosuit cargo slots aren't accessible when trading, inventory UI needs to be fully controllable with D-pad. I could go on. That's aside from so many smaller bugs that end up making the game feel unstable.

No, I would love for them to continue working on issues like this in parallel with major feature development for 1.4. I don't want to go back to a few patches and then radio silence.

Minamu

I'm not sure on this, but I *think* you need to go back to the system where you first got the mission.

I think I read a post on here about it, but I may also have imagined it in the throes of a fevered dream.
I have no idea where that is :lol That new system I mentioned was an undiscovered one :/ Matbe that new reset thing could help later. Oh well.

belvedere

Junior Butler
To anyone in Eissentam, have you ever seen rain? It occurred to me after visiting countless planets that I've yet to see a single storm/rain.

This is kind of a big deal, I needs weather.

NotSelf

The only problem I'm having still is the game is freezing for three or four seconds every time I jump out of the star ship on ps4 pro it only happens on my original save from 2016 starting a new save on survival the problem doesn't exist. I already submitted it to HG will do it again if it doesn't get fixed. Wondering if anyone else has this issue?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
The only problem I'm having still is the game is freezing for three or four seconds every time I jump out of the star ship on ps4 pro it only happens on my original save from 2016 starting a new save on survival the problem doesn't exist. I already submitted it to HG will do it again if it doesn't get fixed. Wondering if anyone else has this issue?
This happens every time the game saves on regular PS4 with my new 1.3 campaign. I think it only happens when you get a long campaign, however. So it'll probably reappear once you play a ton.

somme

To anyone in Eissentam, have you ever seen rain? It occurred to me after visiting countless planets that I've yet to see a single storm/rain.

This is kind of a big deal, I needs weather.

I'm in a galaxy with mainly dead, airless, lifeless, etc, planets. Can't remember the name but its lack of diversity is certainly pushing me towards the centre. I'm excited to see what the next galaxy has to offer.

OuterLimits

Definitely having issues on the PS4 Pro. Menus lag and the FPS is often tanking. Even trying to exit the game results in a 5-10 second delay before I can even close the application. Getting crashes on rare occasions as well. Once I reload a save, it usually performs better for a period of time before having problems again.

Minamu

Definitely having issues on the PS4 Pro. Menus lag and the FPS is often tanking. Even trying to exit the game results in a 5-10 second delay before I can even close the application. Getting crashes on rare occasions as well. Once I reload a save, it usually performs better for a period of time before having problems again.
This sounds like me! Moving stuff from my base to my inventory drops frames like craaazy and the overall fps can seem fine at first but tanks rather quickly.

Oh, and that ui icon for where you can land goes away after a few landings, very annoying :/

Mr Git

Have you locked the framerate? Once I did that my Pro stopped going into jet engine mode and the framerate got a lot better.

belvedere

Junior Butler
is it a giant download? Man, I was unable to play the last couple days because of life and I do not want to go home only to stare at the PS4 screen for all the updates!

681 MB. I'm using remote play from work to get this out of the way for the same reason.

1.37 Patch Notes:

https://www.nomanssky.com/2017/09/atlas-rises-patch-1-37/

PC control scheme

In this patch, we've added a new tethered ship control scheme for PC mouse & keyboard players. This option can be toggled, and changes ship controls to be cursor based, meaning you'll be able to direct your ship easily using your mouse. In addition, PC mouse and keyboard players can now look around the ship's cockpit by holding the ALT key. This new option will be active by default, and can be toggled back to the original control scheme via the General Options menu.

Other changes and improvements

Allowed economy Scanner to be used from the Quick Menu to locate an outpost
Improved prices trade outposts offer for trade goods
Added ability to hold backspace to delete text in text entry fields
Improved pagination of tech and product build windows
Improved pricing of freighters and freighter trade-in values
Added economy information to the galactic map for systems the player has already visited
Added a quick menu option to scan for outposts using an economy scanner
Increased tech fragment rewards for tech debris
Added a penalty to standing for killing civilian ships
Updated and improved terrain editing effects
Changed farmer missions to count plants grown anywhere towards requirements, including outside of player bases
Improved rewards given from factory and harvester buildings to avoid awarding known recipes
Improved fog and weather effects in low flight mode
Reduced FPS when the game is not in focus
Added categories to the item transfer window
Added a new send window to aid in transferring items
Improved planet temperature ranges
Improved storms on lush planets
Improved price comparison text on the ship purchase screen
Added ”Upload All" button on the discovery page
Improved trade product pricing
Improved price modifiers for different economy types

Bug fixes

Players who find themselves a long way away from their mission destination can now use the log to reset the mission. The mission log will highlight missions and destinations over several thousand light years away with a red icon. Holding R3 or the middle mouse button over this icon will reset the mission to the most recent safe stage, allowing progress to continue.
Fixed an issue where some players did not receive all of the portal glyphs. If you experienced this issue, the next time you find a portal glyph, those that were previously missed should be restored.
Restored missing Atlas Seed blueprints to affected players
Fixed an issue that caused players to skip certain Atlas Stations
Reduced chance of multiple missions sending you to the same destination
Fixed landing of S-class ships
Fixed an issue in displaying temperature modifiers on hot planets
Fixed an issue with a particular Factory Raid mission which would prevent completion
Prevented failed timed missions remaining on the mission board indefinitely
Fixed issue where certain missions would incorrectly show markers in the galactic map
Fixed issue where planters on a player's freighter would break whenever the freighter was moved
Fixed an exploit with teleporting between systems to trade
Prevented gas harvesters being constructed on planets with no atmosphere to harvest
Fixed number visibility when moving inventory items
Fixed an issue where player could not build item stacks in creative mode
Fixed issue where the economy description on the galactic map had untranslated text
Fixed issue where units would function incorrectly for players with more than the maximum amount
Fixed issues where maintenance components would require different repairs after rebooting the game
Fixed an issue where delivery missions were occasionally failing to register as complete
Prevented bounty missions failing if you choose not to attempt them immediately
Prevented terrain editing effects showing while you are in your vehicle

I'll update my mod guide in the next few days.

drh1691

Neo Member
Excellent!

I was just going to ask how can I continue the new story when I am over 100,000 light years from my next mission objective.

Hope the reset mission thing works out...

Top Bottom