• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Atlas Rises |OT| Nada, Polo and you no longer fly solo

I hope they fixed how ships land on landing pads.

My little S-class mini-ship keeps parking horizontally and off the center of the pad.

And when it auto-ejects me, I wind up falling off the platform at some bases.

Man, the improvements they have made with these post 1.3 patches is pretty crazy. SO many QoL and gameplay improvements.

Seems like they're really listening to feedback more than ever, I wonder if the community asks for the return of planetary rotation enough, will we get it...

I heard they added clouds back to the PS4 in the 1.37 update. The old, dodgy-looking clouds, but at least it's not an empty sky.

fascinating.

Photon Cannon holds up pretty well. And the others might have more peak DPS but don't you have to be super close to take advantage of the Ejector?

Photon Cannon still seems to be the way to go, esp from distance.

Yeah, since they took auto-lock off the Mining Beam, the upgraded Photon Cannon is definitely the way to go.

This spreadsheet also underscores what I already found out: the Infra-Knife Accelerator pales next to the Photon Cannon, and makes me wonder why they even added it to the game. I don't see any advantages.

The Cyclotron Ballista on the other hand shouldn't be slept on. And the DPS on the Positon Ejector is insane.

I heard they added clouds back to the PS4 in the 1.37 update. The old, dodgy-looking clouds, but at least it's not an empty sky.

Yeah, since they took auto-lock off the Mining Beam, the upgraded Photon Cannon is definitely the way to go.

This spreadsheet also underscores what I already found out: the Infra-Knife Accelerator pales next to the Photon Cannon, and makes me wonder why they even added it to the game. I don't see any advantages.

The Cyclotron Ballista on the other hand shouldn't be slept on. And the DPS on the Positon Ejector is insane.
Yeah, the regular clouds are back in for sure. We can also finally see weather while flying around in our ship.

Tried flying around in a heavy storm and the lack of visibility made it genuinely difficult. Great addition.
Yup, heavy storm + night time...good luck lol.

Speaking of night time, would be great if our ships got some lights to help with flying around at night as it can get pretty dark since 1.3.

Also, not sure when this changed, but repairing the slots in my ship I found now only costs 1000 units every time? Is this a bug? Haven't really been keeping up with things too well lately

ParityBit

Speaking of night time, would be great if our ships got some lights to help with flying around at night as it can get pretty dark since 1.3.

Also, not sure when this changed, but repairing the slots in my ship I found now only costs 1000 units every time? Is this a bug? Haven't really been keeping up with things too well lately

That is not right. I am waiting for the download but my ship has a bunch of spots that need fixing and the next one was around 400K. I will let you know whenever it is done.

Ah nice. Yeah some ships do have tiny lights on them that are illuminated at night, but they don't cast any light. Would be cool to have landing lights like the X-Wing, or even more distinct running lights on ships that you can see from a distance.

I hope we get 1 more bug fixing patch. Still present in 1.37:

- Excess items still disappear when transferring from Exosuit General to Exosuit Cargo
- Item Delivery mission completes but item remains in inventory and Terminal still asks for item with "Deliver item" greyed out
- Space Anomoly stuck in Home Base system and spammable every time you warp there
- Planets sometimes don't show up on Discovery screen until you leave the atmosphere
- Game automatically changes selected mission at random

Need some advice from someone who has completed the new story and Atlas. I want to get as far I can with both without moving to a new galaxy because I've spent the last 30 hours of gameplay setting up a Living Glass farm so I can buy a better ship and I love my Home Base planet. Spoil me if you have to.

Where I'm up to:
I think I have 1 more Atlas Station to visit. I'm still trying to find some rare minerals to craft Heart of the Sun. I've only collected 6 Glyphs if that matters and I'm up to 16/16 (Warn the other Travellers).

Ah nice. Yeah some ships do have tiny lights on them that are illuminated at night, but they don't cast any light. Would be cool to have landing lights like the X-Wing, or even more distinct running lights on ships that you can see from a distance.
I've noticed explorer class ships usually have "headlights", but they only turn on when you land and they don't give off much light.

It's kid of jarring running around at night with the suit light on and being able to see pretty good around you, then jumping into your ship and everything turns pitch black lol

That is not right. I am waiting for the download but my ship has a bunch of spots that need fixing and the next one was around 400K. I will let you know whenever it is done.
Yeah I'm not sure what happened, definitely was getting really expensive to upgrade the slots the last time I played (about two patches ago). It only affected the main ship slots, the tech slots on it still cost a lot, and also all the slots on my multi-tool cost a lot. Not sure what happened, but hey I finally fixed my ship up lol.

Guppeth

Need some advice from someone who has completed the new story and Atlas. I want to get as far I can with both without moving to a new galaxy because I've spent the last 30 hours of gameplay setting up a Living Glass farm so I can buy a better ship and I love my Home Base planet. Spoil me if you have to.

Where I'm up to:
I think I have 1 more Atlas Station to visit. I'm still trying to find some rare minerals to craft Heart of the Sun. I've only collected 6 Glyphs if that matters and I'm up to 16/16 (Warn the other Travellers).

You can finish both without leaving your galaxy. You get the option to reset the galaxy but you can decline it and still complete the questline.

ParityBit

Yeah I'm not sure what happened, definitely was getting really expensive to upgrade the slots the last time I played (about two patches ago). It only affected the main ship slots, the tech slots on it still cost a lot, and also all the slots on my multi-tool cost a lot. Not sure what happened, but hey I finally fixed my ship up lol.

I soooooo jealous.

You can finish both without leaving your galaxy. You get the option to reset the galaxy but you can decline it and still complete the questline.

So if I decline both and then reach the center of the galaxy do I still get to choose between the 4 types of galaxies or or is it like pre-Atlas and you just get thrown into the next one on the list?

Positron Ejector is basically a starship shotgun. Good to finish off a weakened ship at close range or for quick asteroid mining.

Guppeth

So if I decline both and then reach the center of the galaxy do I still get to choose between the 4 types of galaxies or or is it like pre-Atlas and you just get thrown into the next one on the list?

I'm still in the first galaxy so I'm not sure, but I haven't seen anyone mention any choice at the centre.

trading crashed Dynamic Resonators still works... was about to make about 35 million in 90 minutes, and I waste probably a third or a half the time trying to figure out the new changes. pretty sure you can get it up over at least 30m an hour, maaaybe 40m. it will be a cut tho from the 50-60m/hour it made before tho.

So what's up with Trade Terminals and AI ships at your base? I don't spend too much time at my base or in the system but I warp back frequently for farming. I bought a few resources like Plutonium (the pathetic amounts available) but they haven't regenerated after a few dozen visits.

I tested DRs with the method I figured out earlier and I made 57 million units in an hour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVfao_U_csI

In a way, quantities are actually easier to fill a 48 slot ship now since you're basically always buying from systems with 200-500 DRs now -- just you have to switch systems more often and teleport a bit extra.

....So, yeah, trading crashed DRs still works heheh.

mokeyjoe

Gah. I wish there was a way to turn off the mission objectives in the bottom right. They're so large and invasive. I just want to fly around without them pestering me. Especially when it decides to autopin pointless crap there. So annoying

I'm still in the first galaxy so I'm not sure, but I haven't seen anyone mention any choice at the centre.

OK, so I decided to leave the Artemis story for now and complete Atlas. I went to the last station and used Heart of the Sun to activate the terminal. I declined to birth a new star and it told me to go the nearest Black Hole. I did that and went through, now it tells me to Explore the Galaxy. When do I get the Remembrance tech? Did it bug out or do I have to complete the Artemis story as well?

OK, so I decided to leave the Artemis story for now and complete Atlas. I went to the last station and used Heart of the Sun to activate the terminal. I declined to birth a new star and it told me to go the nearest Black Hole. I did that and went through, now it tells me to Explore the Galaxy. When do I get the Remembrance tech? Did it bug out or do I have to complete the Artemis story as well?
Go through to the center of the galaxy and I got it when I "revived" on your (new) starter planet.

Thanks for the replies.

A few screenies from my marathon playthrough today:

KLKjhPC.jpg

AgAYp8t.jpg

ZWMWCot.jpg

dWVM75l.jpg

ByxawYU.jpg

Looking for storyline help regarding Artemis, will put it in tags just incase

I have crafted the Mind-Arc and when choosing to progress this mission it states I need to use the Base Teleport to return to the system where I left Artemis.
But when I return to the Base Terminus none of the four teleporter options show where Artemis is located ( and I can't remember where I last saw him). Tried going into space and checking the galactic map, just points me back to my system when my Home system/planet is again, to use the Base Teleport.

Even looked on the Journey section in the Options incase there was anything on the list of system/planets I have visited for any indication but nothing, also chose a different mission and then back to the Mind-Arc story mission just to see if the mission was stuck.
Tried rebooting the game too with no joy.

Any advice how I am supposed to progress, I am on PS4 patch 1.37.

MrCow

really digging the new update, clouds and improved weather really change the atmosphere of the game (pun intended). the keeps getting better and better and the menus less cumbersome, still not perfect but I really dig the effort that they are making. ;)

also I finally found my first exotic and was able to afford it (only 15 slots though but my previous fighter had the same amount of slots)

God, it sucks getting to the center in the endgame. How do you find black holes without Nada? The map scanner (L3) seems pointless unless there's an upgrade. Still can't find a Warp Reactor Theta! And is it sheer luck finding a portal outside of the story?

I have crafted the Mind-Arc and when choosing to progress this mission it states I need to use the Base Teleport to return to the system where I left Artemis.
But when I return to the Base Terminus none of the four teleporter options show where Artemis is located ( and I can't remember where I last saw him). Tried going into space and checking the galactic map, just points me back to my system when my Home system/planet is again, to use the Base Teleport.

Even looked on the Journey section in the Options incase there was anything on the list of system/planets I have visited for any indication but nothing, also chose a different mission and then back to the Mind-Arc story mission just to see if the mission was stuck.

Have you tried to reset the mission with R3?

Anyone here interested in modding NMS? I don't have any experience modding but there's a few old NMS mods that I'm trying to resurrect so I'm trying to learn. Let me know and I'll pass on what I learn.

I tested DRs with the method I figured out earlier and I made 57 million units in an hour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVfao_U_csI
sort of heads up to hopeful freighter buyers...

I took the method I commentated above and I switch Dynamic Resonators with the most expensive 50,000-ish unit Trade Item (e.g. Arc Crystals from Mining Economies), and used it as my crashed item instead...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMOvISW7KXQ

made 108,000,000 units in about 67 minutes

so, if anyone still looking for a way to get a S class Freighter or max slot Hauler, try out crashing the new* Trade Items

* by"new" it means 1.37 increased the values of Trade Items by about 500%)

Here's a question I've always wanted to ask. If you upload a discovery (and just upload it, not rename and upload) can you rename it later? Or are both options irreversible?

I'm still having the below issue, someone suggested resetting the mission with R3, but nothing happens with I highlight the mission and try this. Not sure due to it being a Primary Mission.
Completly stuck now on the Mind Arc progression.
Any ideas?

I'm still having the below issue, someone suggested resetting the mission with R3, but nothing happens with I highlight the mission and try this. Not sure due to it being a Primary Mission.
Completly stuck now on the Mind Arc progression.
Any ideas?
Can't remember correctly but I think the quest text is a bit misleading. You didn't "leave" Artemis anywhere, you just need to return to a holo terminus (the new communication towers) and speak to Artemis. However, you can only find a holo terminus if the game gives you a waypoint for it.

When I played the storyline, I mostly did everything in and around my home base system, so most of the story bits happened in that system and on my home planet.

The way those holo terminus waypoints usually showed up was by going into space in my home system (or wherever the game told me to go) and either automatically receive the next quest, or respond to a comms request (the blue blinking light in the cockpit) and then receive the next quest marker.

EDIT:
So to be clear, the base teleporters will never give you any important information such as where you've left off Artemis etc. They only show you the recently visited space stations and always show your home base at the top. I suppose the reason HG left the quest description like that is because they were counting on the player remembering where they last contacted Artemis and possibly to just remind the player that they can use teleporters to quickly jump to a previously visited location.

If the galactic map is leading you to your home system, you can try to teleport there, fly into space and wait/fly a while and hope to get a comms request (and respond to it from the quick menu) or just a quest marker leading you to a holo terminus.

Can't remember correctly but I think the quest text is a bit misleading. You didn't "leave" Artemis anywhere, you just need to return to a holo terminus (the new communication towers) and speak to Artemis. However, you can only find a holo terminus if the game gives you a waypoint for it.

When I played the storyline, I mostly did everything in and around my home base system, so most of the story bits happened in that system and on my home planet.

The way those holo terminus waypoints usually showed up was by going into space in my home system (or wherever the game told me to go) and either automatically receive the next quest, or respond to a comms request (the blue blinking light in the cockpit) and then receive the next quest marker.

EDIT:
So to be clear, the base teleporters will never give you any important information such as where you've left off Artemis etc. They only show you the recently visited space stations and always show your home base at the top. I suppose the reason HG left the quest description like that is because they were counting on the player remembering where they last contacted Artemis and possibly to just remind the player that they can use teleporters to quickly jump to a previously visited location.

If the galactic map is leading you to your home system, you can try to teleport there, fly into space and wait/fly a while and hope to get a comms request (and respond to it from the quick menu) or just a quest marker leading you to a holo terminus.

OK thanks, think I'll try the teleporting away from the base galaxy and then back and hope the comms starts after a while, when in space.

cjdunn

I am getting so sick of spending 30+ min to find the last animal on the damn planet! I can never find the last one!

Yeah. I'm in a system with 6 planets, 3 of which I'm missing 1 species each. I've spent several days hopping between them.

They really need to add a general direction finder to the Fauna Analyzer.

Top Bottom