• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Atlas Rises |OT| Nada, Polo and you no longer fly solo

Missed some of these before...

This was really needed, though I'm not sure how open-air outposts are supposed to shelter you from storms with wind blowing sideways. But I'll take it.
Trade outposts now provide hazard protection

There's going to be some people here really excited about this one:
Lush biomes in survival mode occasionally exist without an aggressive sentinel presence

Also glad for these two on the trading tip:
Separated stock levels for trading posts and space stations in the same system
Improved trading by giving NPCs independent stock levels

And I think maybe they added the ability to sell from exosuit cargo slots now?

Also, this is the new main screen (taken from Reddit). If that makes it to PS4, I'm a bit scared to see exactly how many hours I've put into this game.
tmwueAY.jpg

Also, I'm seeing people on Reddit confirm that freighters don't care about friendly fire during battles now. Thank Emily.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Analysis Visor can scan ships to determine their class, type and value at a distance
The Analysis Visor can now be used to scan farm plants and see the remaining growth time
Lush biomes in survival mode occasionally exist without an aggressive sentinel presence
Added exotic ship audio for AI and NPC ships
Added ability to transfer items to and from containers in your base or freighter

The little megatons.

OuterLimits

Just died in permadeath mode. Lol. Those bounty ships are hard to get away from sometimes. Even with sentinel ships helping, I couldn't survive. Was close to defeating the ship, but not quite. :(

Impressive update list. Hope it is released soon.

My favorite: paradise planets on Survival have a chance of not having hostile sentinels. Awesome.

Better planets descriptions will be nice. I landed on a cold planet where it said Flora: None. However, trees were everywhere. The descriptions since 1.3 have often been way off.

theWB27

Oh damn, that's quite the list of changes. I hope that new save system will make it to PS4.

I hope to Atlas this means freighter friendly fire also??

Good to see them add back the spectral class to the galaxy map, should help those with color blindness, and it's just nice to have more nerdy info there.

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, these sound like a ton of good changes, but every update I scan the list hoping for the teleporter custom names bug to be fixed and it never is. It seems like such a simple fix...do most people not name their systems, and thus don't see the bug?

I'm one of those people who name nothing. Just too much out there.

Added ability to transfer items to and from containers in your base or freighter

From anywhere? Because that would be a serious game-changer for going on a resource-gathering adventure. Suddenly you've got 50 additional slots to dump things in? Seems like it might be a bit unbalanced if so.

Minamu

This was really needed, though I'm not sure how open-air outposts are supposed to shelter you from storms with wind blowing sideways. But I'll take it.
They could/should add force fields around the area where the NPCs are seated etc. That way standing at your ship is still hazardous. You'd technically be outside still but kinda indoors as well :)

Haven't played in a while, decided to see some of the changes, but the experimental introduced a new bug causing my game to crash every time I activate the analysis visor. Submitted a ticket.

So really nice updates in there, it looks like they might be going (hopefully) into a more consistent and longer lasting updates cycle with fixes and improvements, without months long radio silence. They're also looking for more artists, so they might be focusing more on graphics assets, which a game like this can never have enough.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Any suggestions on where I should look to start a base?

It's entirely up to you which is why you haven't received any advice. It's all down to personal preference. You pick a planet YOU like and build a base there. I'll give you MY preferences though: In normal, I pick paradise planets, making sure there's a decent amount of needed resources and it's nice to walk around. In Survival/Permadeath, I pick Spadonium planets (can't remember what it's called now. They changed it to something like Cacti Root I think). These planets have a good deal of time with normal conditions and only at night and occasionally during the hot days do they offer any threats. They often have none aggressive sentinels too. But when the update drops, they've now added the chance of finding a paradise planet without aggressive sentinels. These will be rare though and I would advise picking one of the above until you find that 'perfect' planet.

Don't make your first base your permanent base, use it to finish the base quests. When you finally decide to move, make sure you disassemble everything manually because when you take another base, you only get 50% of your last base back. Disassembling gives you ALL of the materials back. Keep the base very simple and only build what you need to finish the quests. On another note, any storage you built should also be just deleted. When you build it again at your new base, it will have ALL the content you stored in them from your old base still inside, so don't worry about that. Just delete.

These are issues I've raised several times in the last month. Good to see Hello Games continuing to listen to their fan base.

Fixed an issue where some delivery missions would continuously tell players to visit other systems
Fixed an issue where the requirements to complete some missions could change as you spoke to NPCs
Prevented trade terminals having a negative quantity of stock
Made trading terminal stock values replenish over time
Separated stock levels for trading posts and space stations in the same system
Prevented users occasionally falling outside the trading post platform when exiting their ship
Corrected Roamer and Rover inventories appearing incorrectly in the transfer window
Fixed an issue where the Space Anomaly could remain in the player's home system indefinitely
Added ability to sell items from ship cargo slots at terminals
Improved trading by giving NPCs independent stock levels

The biggest bugs remaining for me:

- Sometimes secondary missions temporarily disappear from the log but they are still active because when I reload the game they appear again
- Text turns blank talking to the Mission-Giving NPC with no way to exit except reloading the game
- Item Delivery missions: Trade Terminal frequently won't accept mission item. Only resetting the mission will fix it. Other times the mission is deemed complete, the mission item stays in my inventory and the trade terminal still asks for the mission item.
- Excess stack disappears when transferring between General Exosuit, Exosuit Cargo and Starship

trading sounds like it may be unchanged... nothing about crashed prices or the new trade item prices. sounds reassuring. it mentions a few different quantity changes though so I guess maybe they could drastically reduce the quantity pool per terminal/npc and spread them out more, to slow things down. guess we'll see haha.

oh, and thank the Gek First Spawn ! no more falling off the side of trading stations lol

i have the extended neck hauler and the damn thing launches me off the side almost every single time even if I hold back/booster -_- basically have to always land on the most center space so I land on the 'bridge' rather than getting launched off the side

mokeyjoe

That lush biomes - peaceful sentinels in survival thing may get me playing again before the next big update. That’s been on my wishlist since 1.1.

Is it just me or does your ship never spawn on home base landing pads? Mine spawns just outisde the base with one of the wings partly inside the building.

Also, are freighters worth getting now? I never bothered in previous playthroughs. The only benefit seems to be the ability to own multiple ships but that seems rather rubbish for the high cost.

Yeah, but like I said I've never seen Omegon in my hundreds of hours of play, even in 1.3. I don't doubt it's out there. I mean I haven't found any of the new biome types, either. Nor have I found a wealthy system. And I've probably been to 15 systems since 1.3. Just luck of the RNG in this game, but it's annoying when that bad luck locks you out of high-level recipes.

Definitely bad luck. Just yesterday I visited a freighter after a space battle and after 5 minutes 2 ships flew in, 1 selling 800 Omegon and the other 600 Nitrogen. Never seen such large quantities before. I also spend a lot of time at trading posts (while doing delivery and missing person missions) and it does take a lot of time and patience to check dozens of ships. I've also visited probably 50+ systems in this Atlas Rises playthrough.

Is it just me or does your ship never spawn on home base landing pads? Mine spawns just outisde the base with one of the wings partly inside the building.

Also, are freighters worth getting now? I never bothered in previous playthroughs. The only benefit seems to be the ability to own multiple ships but that seems rather rubbish for the high cost.

Your ship will never spawn on the landing pad when warping to your home base, period. That should be on the fix list for Hello Games next, because that is an obnoxious issue that should be reasonably easy to remedy. Why the hell do you think I built the thing? It's like having a valet drop your car off and he just leaves it on your lawn when you left the garage door wide open.

ParityBit

It's entirely up to you which is why you haven't received any advice. It's all down to personal preference. You pick a planet YOU like and build a base there. I'll give you MY preferences though: In normal, I pick paradise planets, making sure there's a decent amount of needed resources and it's nice to walk around. In Survival/Permadeath, I pick Spadonium planets (can't remember what it's called now. They changed it to something like Cacti Root I think). These planets have a good deal of time with normal conditions and only at night and occasionally during the hot days do they offer any threats. They often have none aggressive sentinels too. But when the update drops, they've now added the chance of finding a paradise planet without aggressive sentinels. These will be rare though and I would advise picking one of the above until you find that 'perfect' planet.

Don't make your first base your permanent base, use it to finish the base quests. When you finally decide to move, make sure you disassemble everything manually because when you take another base, you only get 50% of your last base back. Disassembling gives you ALL of the materials back. Keep the base very simple and only build what you need to finish the quests. On another note, any storage you built should also be just deleted. When you build it again at your new base, it will have ALL the content you stored in them from your old base still inside, so don't worry about that. Just delete.

Thank you for this. I did not think about the whole idea of a "temp" base. I will look for one of those planets but I will have to keep warping around to find one. I am playing normal difficulty.

I have seen lots of people mentioning the farming thig, so that is where my question came from. I am nowhere near doing that as I still have 15/6 broken slots in my ship, and I need more storage slots on my suit.

ParityBit

It would also be nice to see some real civilization infrastructure. Granted I am not too far in and it may get more crowded as I get closer to the center.

Things like roads and such, rather than a couple buildings placed in a field.

This is one of my biggest needs for the game. I wanna see sooooo many more large and strange structures. The couple that they added in Atlas rises was so exciting.

It would also be nice to see some real civilization infrastructure. Granted I am not too far in and it may get more crowded as I get closer to the center.

Things like roads and such, rather than a couple buildings placed in a field.

Not in the engine's current state of optimization.There have been a few mods around that add large structures, large fossils, small settlements etc. They are just for show, though, with no interactivity and they absolutely tanked the frame rate (in the same way a complex base does) so I deleted them pretty quickly.

ParityBit

Not in the engine's current state of optimization.There have been a few mods around that add large structures, large fossils, small settlements etc. They are just for show, though, with no interactivity and they absolutely tanked the frame rate (in the same way a complex base does) so I deleted them pretty quickly.

Darn! That is okay, I am still enjoying myself.

belvedere

Junior Butler

I would think a building like what's shown in the screenshot would be possible. Freighters are pretty massive and at least on PS4 Pro don't seem to affect framerate. I'd imagine that you could take a trading post, put four walls on it and make it taller.

This is one of my biggest needs for the game. I wanna see sooooo many more large and strange structures. The couple that they added in Atlas rises was so exciting.

Not on the top of my list, but I'd like that as well. But I'd only want them to add new set pieces if there's meaningful use of the building or structure. Like the crashed freighters, they look great, but not being able to go explore inside made it feel like a missed opportunity and a superficial addition.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Not on the top of my list, but I'd like that as well. But I'd only want them to add new set pieces if there's meaningful use of the building or structure. Like the crashed freighters, they look great, but not being able to go explore inside made it feel like a missed opportunity and a superficial addition.
I straight up don’t fuck with crashed freighters anymore and I’m disappointed whenever a waypoint for one shows up. They really shouldn’t have put them in until they were more fleshed out.

belvedere

Junior Butler
I straight up don’t fuck with crashed freighters anymore and I’m disappointed whenever a waypoint for one shows up. They really shouldn’t have put them in until they were more fleshed out.

I agree, I think they have potential if they serve more of a purpose. They do look amazing though. I built my last base near one.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
At the very least I'd like to see them mix in other kinds of loot that can be found in the containers. Finding some higher tier products would be fun and mix things up for people who've already got an abundance of nanites and for whom a 100k units or so is pretty meaningless.

HG should just create a bunch (say, a meaningful number, like 256) of collectibles of varying rarities, give each one of them a cool piece of backstory and add a buildable to display these items in our base. Armor pieces, blades, nameplates, totems, vessels, different kinds of cool looking stuff.

Then they could pepper those through crashed freighters, inside caves, with random people at trading posts, etc.

HG should just create a bunch (say, a meaningful number, like 256) of collectibles of varying rarities, give each one of them a cool piece of backstory and add a buildable to display these items in our base. Armor pieces, blades, nameplates, totems, vessels, different kinds of cool looking stuff.

Then they could pepper those through crashed freighters, inside caves, with random people at trading posts, etc.

Procedurally generated loot is a good idea, especially combined with the dynamic missions. You should submit that idea to them.

mokeyjoe

It’s a cool story moment to be fair. But after the the first one it doesn’t matter.

This could be said about just about any aspect in NMS. Things go in in a barebones fashion and then get fleshed out in subsequent updates. The probably just stuck it in as it was one of those lame things people bitched about at launch even though nobody knew why they wanted it. There were always bigger fish to fry, I don’t know why anyone cared about checkboxy stuff like sand worms and crashed freighters.

Another update to the update.

Fixed an issue that could cause the game to crash when scanning ships
Fixed an issue that could cause shader compile errors and texture issues to occur with the latest Nvidia Geforce driver
Fixed a localisation issue on the save selection screen

If last time is anything to go by, this will be patch 1.38 and 1.39.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Another update to the update.

Fixed an issue that could cause the game to crash when scanning ships
Fixed an issue that could cause shader compile errors and texture issues to occur with the latest Nvidia Geforce driver
Fixed a localisation issue on the save selection screen

If last time is anything to go by, this will be patch 1.38 and 1.39.

HG on top of this. Hopefully the PS4 iteration drops soon.

Just started a new save and having a bit more knowledge about the game helps a lot in the start. Emeril will sell for a good price and can be used to make some quick money right in the beginning.

A few screenshots:

I was luck with that multi-tool, a Vy'keen NPC offered me in exchange for the starter.

ParityBit

So I have a ship inventory question. I usually put stuff in my ship as backup/needed storage. I have a 48 slot freighter with 26 slots I can use (14 damaged).

I feel like I am putting stuff in there I never use, thus I should sell but I wanted to see what you guys thought. I do not have a base yet (working on it once I find a planet to start that on). All of these are max stacks.

Votex Cubes
Gek Relic
Korvax Casing
Vy'Keen Effigy
Vy'Keen Dagger
Warp Cell (2 stacks)
Electron Vaper
Gravitino Ball (2 stack)
Antimatter
Albumen Pearl

MaKTaiL

Just started a new save and having a bit more knowledge about the game helps a lot in the start. Emeril will sell for a good price and can be used to make some quick money right in the beginning.

A few screenshots:

I was luck with that multi-tool, a Vy'keen NPC offered me in exchange for the starter.
Fixing the slots is going to be very expensive though.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
So I have a ship inventory question. I usually put stuff in my ship as backup/needed storage. I have a 48 slot freighter with 26 slots I can use (14 damaged).

I feel like I am putting stuff in there I never use, thus I should sell but I wanted to see what you guys thought. I do not have a base yet (working on it once I find a planet to start that on). All of these are max stacks.

Votex Cubes [sell]
Gek Relic [used to find portals. I think]
Korvax Casing [used to find portals]
Vy'Keen Effigy [sell]
Vy'Keen Dagger [used to find portals]
Warp Cell (2 stacks) [Keep]
Electron Vaper [turn into antimatter]
Gravitino Ball (2 stack) [sell, or keep if you're getting on with the base missions and are close to getting the storage]
Antimatter [turn into Warp cells]
Albumen Pearl [sell]

I would sell all the things you use for finding portals or use them to up your standing with the related race if you aren't anywhere near that stage yet. They come along quite regularly. Never hoard anything you don't currently need. There's always more of the stuff you need just around the corner with the exception of Omegon.

Fixing the slots is going to be very expensive though.

I need to check later when I'm back at my home but I think I already fixed mostly of the slots of the multitool and all the slots from the ship I found just using the credits that I got from selling a lot of Emeril in different systems.

ParityBit

I would sell all the things you use for finding portals or use them to up your standing with the related race if you aren't anywhere near that stage yet. They come along quite regularly. Never hoard anything you don't currently need. There's always more of the stuff you need just around the corner with the exception of Omegon.

Great thanks! So I should convert all that stuff to Warp cells and carry those around instead of the parts? That makes life easier. Is there a limit to how many warp cells I really need to carry?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Great thanks! So I should convert all that stuff to Warp cells and carry those around instead of the parts? That makes life easier. Is there a limit to how many warp cells I really need to carry?

You eventually get the blueprints you need to make warp cells from scratch and when you get the Atlas pass 1, you can open containers which will give you ingredients or warp cells. You don't need any more than a 3 or 4 stacks of warp cell + a full hyperdrive. Just warp about more and visit different solar systems to pick up quests, up your standing and find those creatures for the hardest milestone.

OuterLimits

Freighters are good in the early game if you are lucky enough to find the plasma grenades. The cash and nanites are significant during this period.

Speaking of the grenades, they are hard to find in the early game now for some reason. Vykeen space stations rarely sell the blueprint, but often have the upgrades for the weapon. Which is a tad frustrating. Ones you can buy at trading posts seem to have the terrain manipulator upgrade much more frequently.(which needs a ton of resources)

Also the plasma grenades are still good at blasting tall plants for resources but using it on the iron cone things will usually glitch and the object just disappears. Manufacturing facilities often give me late game recipes which offer zero help when still in the early game.

Hopefully the update hits soon on PS4. I want the chance of paradise planets not having the crazed sentinels on Survival.

belvedere

Junior Butler
I'm sure I'm lttp on this but I found a much easier way to get Thamium.

Attack freighters for it. It was simply too time consuming buying it from ships landing on the freighters or scouring planets for it.

This way you make around 200 for each freighter container you destroy and it's never been difficult to get away. Just don't do it in your home system.

Top Bottom