• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Atlas Rises |OT| Nada, Polo and you no longer fly solo

3 players on a space station right now.

https://www.twitch.tv/designationg

200.gif

Rezbit

Restarted my ps4 game as I had no idea what I was doing. Figure a fresh slate is best as j haven't played since 1.0. Already the starter planet is heaps more visually stimulating - a green nuclear world with vast mountains and cliffs.

Unai

༼ つ ◕◕ ༽つ
GOG is updating :)

There isn't?
That sucks, I bough the game for 59€ at release day.

Not right now at least. It says so somewhere in patch notes or the website, I don't really remember.

Love that the portals are literally Stargates. Enabling you to punch in an address to any planet (well, not all planets have them right? ).

The ability to activate them should have been endgame in the original version as a game changer.

Teleporting home etc. felt too gamey TBH.
But this! I'm totally gonna set up my base near a portal and roleplay Stargate all day long haha

Btw are all the graphics enhancements PC only?

OuterLimits

I do like the new visor look when scanning. Pretty cool. I even scanned a sentinel eyebot thing. Don't think you could do that before?

few impressions from playing it a few hours

Star systems and planets definitely changed a fair bit, but not all did to the same extent.

My home planet stayed somewhat the same: still a red-ish desert moon, but most all of its flora except for cactus and also some flying creatures. Atmosphere changed from red to pink. All the extreme weather disappeared, too. Geography became much more open. I actually gained 2 large elerium deposits right beside my base, bringing the total to 3... So, that's interesting. Kinda sad my cool desert moon changed tho.

But now all my Automated Mining Units are gone... So, that sucks a bit. Gotta take a while to re-collect materials :( Oddly enough, my entire base was fine, except most of the ladders disappeared lol.

Other favorite planets of mine were hit-or-miss... one barely changed, just a bit more green in the ground. Another, this awesome pinkish-red desert Gek planet is now a green fungus toxicity Vy'keen planet =( My cool OG home planet changed a lot too... kinda feel weird that my 'character history' was wiped. Like, a bit of lost attachment.

Some star system or planet names even changed....

Interesting note: if I planet has changed in any notable way, when you visit it, it will re-appear as an unreported Discovered planet... if it hasn't changed, it'll still appear as reported. could be handy when checking up on old planets (if anyone else even does that lol)

Small 'big' changes
- merchant inventories sure changed.... 1700 plutonium for sale? 60 shields? lol
- we can look around inside landed ships now :O

Oddities
- no more % change from Galactic Average for item prices?! why qq was easier see the % difference than the actual sum/difference
- planets wouldn't always appear on my ship HUD anymore...not sure if related to gameplay (the cool new fog) but I could not get the 'planet spheres' to appear on the space radar/map thing
- most of the time, I'm still auto-jumping out of my ship -- and from a Hauler, jumping entirely off the landing pad (which sucks cuz my landing pad is on the 4th floor lol and I'm on permadeath)

The new flora is really nice but I also feel flora draw distance when flying got decreased... I was flying around and it seemed pretty empty until I flew super close to the ground. Then once all the flora finally started to draw, my PS4 frame rate got bad.

Night seems different... it's pretty black now. Feel like it's darker and with more lighting.

Star system economies are interesting... Are there multiple names for the same thing? Like before, there was Hot Sands, Parched Sands for biome type... I noticed some similar economies... Prospecting, Mining, Ore Extraction, Ore Processing.... I wonder, how do they affect actual mining gameplay? Higher or lower resource selling prices? BTW, anyone seen a Wealthy planet that wasn't High Conflict? All my wealthy ones have been ... though I'm not sure what that even affects. Pirates attack you more? more Freighter dogfights?

Oppo

wow, quite the update. what I expected, but even more so.

this game is gonna be the biggest Comeback Kid in videogame history

New XMB tile is better...than the red one at least. The original blue one is still my favorite.

funny how people still call them "XMB tiles", pretty sure that's only PS3

KyanMehwulfe said:
- we can look around inside landed ships now :O
YES. this bugged me.

Meifu

It's nice that a lot of this is happening...

but its honestly too little to late for me to want to jump back in.

I had some fun with it early on.

Prologue

Nah, I think it's obvious that they will at least expand the co-op functionality. This is laying the foundation for that. But maybe the story stuff and all that is done now.

This language suggests no:
"While interaction with others is currently very limited, this is an important first step into the world of synchronous co-op in No Man’s Sky."

Just want to jump in with the full experience.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Watching that stream just posted, and he landed on a planet. Yeah, the LOD load-in was much much better. Can't wait to see what it looks like later today.

BigDug13

The orbs are basically place-holders for now.

Now that the netcode is in the game, they can add player models eventually.

PC modders could probably throw something basic together right now if they wanted to replace the orbs with whatever else they want.

How does it work in ships though. Can you see their ship or are they still an orb?

MattAces

I'm stuck in the Follow Starship Automatic Guide mission. Leads me to a ruin and 3 dialog options, none of them works :(

Edit: Nevermind I'm dumb, inventory full.

Kalor

I started a new save and got a free 20 slot multitool from an alien in the second station I went to. I don't think I even got a 20 slot one on my original save.

So as someone who is pretty far in the game before all the updates. Like, Atlas done and all high end upgrades from back then.
Is it still advised to restart the game for the new story content etc?
Or maybe I should just start in Survival and try not to grind (but that will make it tough right? ).
Can you do missions etc in create mode?

Oppo

If there are PC improvements I'd be curious to hear about that.

I have the PS4 version - heard they were previously nigh-identical.

DrBo42

Fucked up and posted in wrong thread. Anyone know what this galactic hub is? Did the community designate a home system?

dg1FBSB.jpg

I got this message after I started a fresh save.
Then this odd message:
x9AgD5u.jpg

And this choice:
5nL6DcY.jpg

I chose broadcast and it stated that I (the anomaly) remained loyal/compliant...

I did a quick Google search and found nothing similar.
I also believe I'm not in Euclid???!?!?

Wait, what? The multiplayer does not work on GoG?

Well time to stop the download. Half the reason I was updating was a friend wanted to give that a whirl. That is incredibly dissapointing. Hopefully changes in time.

OuterLimits

Oh man. You have to repair damaged machinery now. No more easy access to nanites. Granted, it just needs easy to find stuff to repair.

Top Bottom