• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Atlas Rises |OT| Nada, Polo and you no longer fly solo

Haha, looks like I might as well start over again, anyways. Half my base is underground now:

lJ4CVZX.jpg

rnZFuzn.jpg

wHNWAdi.jpg

And how do I change my temperature units back to celsius?

Runner67

Haha, looks like I might as well start over again, anyways. Half my base is underground now:

Apparently its based on locale, probably will have to wait till a hotfix patch or something where they give you option to change it yourself.

mokeyjoe

Just started playing it.

I'm lost. Everything's new and it feels daunting.

All the resources have changed. There's a new alien. There are missions all over the place. My home planet is now an extreme sentinel world and has oceans.

First impressions:

1. Lots to do. It's overwhelming right now.
2. FOV can be changed. What a difference.
3. Holy hell the sound design in this game is epic.
4. Fauna still looks like it's made of the same stuff.
5. There seem to be new plants though.
6. Grass looks way better.
7. Hovering like a helicopter in the ship and mining from the air while animals scuttle around under you feels great.

Overall this seems a seriously major update. Makes the launch game feel small. Feel like I haven't even scratched the surface after 150 hours of the initial game. I can't imagine what new players are going to feel like coming into this. There is a lot in this game now.

OuterLimits

Wow. Lol. I have seen something like that on occasion. Not sure how to change the Fahrenheit back to Celsius. Was looking for it myself.

ISee

i7 Skylake (can't remember the actual number)
GTX1070
16GB DDR4

It's a 6700 (your skylake)

Anyway: Ingame vsync seems to be the culprit for my bad performance. Set the game to borderless instead of fullscreen, unlock the ingame framerate (no cap) and deactivate vsync. Then lock the framerate with RTSS (or whatever else works for you) to 60 (or your monitor refresh rate). Performance improved significantly for me this way and I'm not able to hit 1440p/60/max settings. Where before I had weird stutters and drops down to 45ish fps.

Well shit, now that the sun's come up and I see that my base planet's completely changed. It used to be a cold ice planet with oceans, now it's an irradiated desert.

Tigress

*sigh* Have to go to a doctor visit before I open this game... right now got a feeling of dread (i'm phobic of doctors mainly cause i'm phobic of needles and I associate them with that and add in hypochondria and fear of what they'll tell me and haven't gotten a general exam in 16 years and only now after my stomach is getting worse have I finally decided to bite the bullet and find a family doctor and not just go to doc in the box clinics when things get so bad that I an get over my fear. still.... ugh... at least I'll be euphoric when it's done and ahve the NMS update to look forward to).

Just started playing it.

All the resources have changed. There's a new alien. There are missions all over the place. My home planet is now an extreme sentinel world and has oceans.

First impressions:

7. Hovering like a helicopter in the ship and mining from the air while animals scuttle around under you feels great.

Overall this seems a seriously major update. Makes the launch game feel small. Feel like I haven't even scratched the surface after 150 hours of the initial game. I can't imagine what new players are going to feel like coming into this. There is a lot in this game now.

The FoV actually improved? In the PS4 version?

Yeah I don't think everyone starts in Elucide system anymore

Thanks for the confirmation. I posted screenshots on the last page, was surprised I was somewhere new and the opening story text with Atlas was different. I didn't think they would randomize the story as well.

I gotta say, I don't like the new NPC dialogue UI. It sucks only being able to see the last thing they've said when trying to make a decision.

Oni3298

Might actually put some time into this update. Luckily I didn't burn myself out playing vanilla NMS after hearing more updates were coming. Glad I held out, all this looks promising.

mokeyjoe

The FoV actually improved? In the PS4 version?

Yes it's adjustable. I don't know how high it goes. I just changed it from 70 to 90. PS4.

Hang on... All my employees have vanished. Seems I have to re- recruit, all the missions have changed. Ah well, was looking for a new homeworld anyway.

This game 'feels' very different now. It's got quite a different atmosphere.

Seiniyta

and just like that No Man's Sky already has more concurrent players on steam then Lawbreakers ever had (sorry Lawbreakers XD)

Oooof- I started a new game on PS4 Pro and my game is running pretty bad. Had the FOV set to 90, so I turned it back to 75 and it's still the same.

Playing it at the 4K mode and locked to 30fps.

It's chugging like never before :(

Had no issues pre-patch

I was fast asleep when I woke myself up to see if the patch notes/trailer had been released. And boy, were they. I lost my mind that they ACTUALLY ADDED MULTIPLAYER and a 30 HOUR STORY. This update is so crazy, and is way more than I could've hoped for. There's so much I need to do now it's almost overwelming.

Funnily enough, it seems I should've made my freighter purchase before the update (I was holding off from making a big purchase until it dropped). Before I would be able to purchase a small freighter for about 10 million units, and now it costs about 80 million units. So, that's nice. Looks like it's time for me to save up 68 million more!

The update totally changed my base planet. Before, it was a beautiful island planet with lots of trees and grass. Now, it's a toxic rain planet with no grass and only the mushroom fungi plants. Oh, and half my base is submerged under the ground. I'm not mad at all though, it was time for me to move on and find a new base closer to the center.

Has anyone else noticed that planets that they discovered no longer exist? For example, I saved the game last night in a space station that was near a planet I discovered that I named Retosert. When I booted up the game this morning and pointed my ship in that planet's direction, the name had gone back to being randomized and the planet was undiscovered. Many of the planets I've discovered have done this. I'm not bothered at all by it, but it was definitely a shock!

Qwark

Anybody know if it's cross-play between PC and PS4 or separate ecosystems? I don't remember if discoveries were shared between the two platforms, I think not.

ISee

How is it running on the PC side of things?

Currently debating whether to get it on the PS4 or the PC.

Hard to tell currently. I have problems running the game in full screen and activated vsync (=stutters and massive frame drops). But if I run the game in borderless window, deactivated vsync and set the framerate limit to 60 with RTSS it seems to run fine so far, even frametimes lock and feel fine this way (1440p).

I was worried that Hello Games and Sean Murray burned gamers so badly that there would be no way to ever recover.

and just like that No Man's Sky already has more concurrent players on steam then Lawbreakers ever had (sorry Lawbreakers XD)

How is it running on the PC side of things?

Currently debating whether to get it on the PS4 or the PC.

I never thought I would get hyped again for No Man's Sky, hell of a good job Hello Games :)

Rebought and downloading now :)

But, then they go and do something like this...
3-04Dumb-and-Dumber-quotes.gif

They've gotta be feeling pretty good today.

Freeman76

I have always wanted this and even earlier was thinking "damn I can now hover I wish I could mine even more now"

Question: How do I do it? I shoot minerals and nothing happens

Runner67

Just started playing it.

First impressions:

I honestly think the Fauna is going to be the big focus for the next patch they do. They finally have spruced up the gameplay enough where it could just consistently get new minor improvements with every update from now on. I think the next big thing they have to worry about is the living, breathing world they put us in. Fixing Fauna would make this game that much better.

For example:

1. Creatures that have more varied and smarter behavior patterns

2. Exist in flocks/herds/schools/you name it

3. New types of ecology behaviors like burrowers (Like that giant snake creature from the trailers), aquatic and land based creatures (amphibious), more varied creature sizes, etc.

4. On that note, tons of new fauna parts for generation

5. Better animations for creatures

6. Food chain/ diet, we can see them actively doing this/foraging. Some animals graze, some hunt, some are parasitic, some are omnivorous, some are scavengers, etc

7. Perhaps different classes of creatures: things that look more insectoid, more snake-like, crustacean, etc and behave more similarly, while also exhibiting alien traits that obviously make them feel alien

8. Better creature sizes: smaller creatures act small (perhaps climb things, have nests, etc, idk lol), larger creatures can reach higher places to forage. Some are extremely fast, some are very slow, just think of our planetary biome and it's variety.

BouncyFrag

Downloading. I was thinking about diving into Minecraft looking for a building game after playing Dragonquest Builders, but will give his another go. My biggest hope is the graphics upgrade delivers.

I honestly think the Fauna is going to be the big focus for the next patch they do. They finally have spruced up the gameplay enough where it could just consistently get new minor improvements with every update from now on. I think the next big thing they have to worry about is the living, breathing world they put us in. Fixing Fauna would make this game that much better.

More environmental updates in general would be awesome. Can't be enough of them imo.

Top Bottom