• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Atlas Rises |OT| Nada, Polo and you no longer fly solo

I have plenty of the resource saved from before, so that's done. I absolutely cannot find the recipe. The "new" recipes for lubricant and acid are here on the list of things I can make, but not the voltic cell.

You have to "earn" the voltaic cell again by going through the Scientist missions. I've had to redo everything with the base-building missions; Armorer, Scientist, Construction and Farming, and I haven't opened the Exoplanet station yet. Before, I had them all completed (well, not the exoplanet, because I never played the Pathfinder update).

Feels a bit bittersweet that everything got re-generated.

On one hand, not everything changed... my home planet is mostly the same; another favorite planet is almost entirely the same. others are totally different colours, biomes, races, even names now though.

Kinda bittersweet because my personal attachment, character story, character 'head canon'... kinda also reset.

the snow planet I started on and called home for a week... the next snow planet I called home for over a month...

All those locations that I had attachment too, lost, like tears in the rain QQ
=P

that said, worth it if it means real sand desert biomes haha time to find the Grand Senora Desert and Sandy Shores, or make my Little Coyote gas mining camp haha

mokeyjoe

So I moved my base, and set it all up again, but all the quest objectives have stayed in the old system, hanging in the middle of space.

So now I can't complete any base quests or talk to the guys at my base.

I hope this gets fixed because otherwise it's just broken 60 hrs of gameplay.

So I moved my base, and set it all up again, but all the quest objectives have stayed in the old system, hanging in the middle of space.

Even before this patch, I constantly had that 'quest' pop-up always saying 'build my first hallway' or whatever even though I built my first base post-Foundations/Pathfinder haha in general always felt the Atlas Path/Base Building quests were weird... I mostly just ignored them.

Hope the new bug makes them patch it up a bit more though.

A_Dang

I just found that I'm in the same boat...kind of. The story wants me to research some new tech (the
mind arc?
), so I moved my base to a planet in the system the story missions are currently in for me, jumped to a korvax system and hired a new scientist, and then visited my new base. Scientist won't talk to me, as I had completed all the old tech missions, the tower with the last message from
Artemis
still have the quest marker on it, telling me to select "scientific research" from the log menu (which does not show up for me)...

Loving the update so far, but this has me stumped and I'm bummed about that. Hopefully it's something stupid or something that will get sorted out. I guess it means I can get some sleep!

I reinstalled and started a new game from scratch. Still feels a lot like it used to, but notable improvements in shortcuts and tutorials. Played an hour and a half and got three warps in, then saved and quit.

This might be fun.

Pachimari

Just bought this game and I feel overwhelmed like crazy with all of this info-bonanza going on. There's so much data to keep track of, and broken items and minerals to collect and stuff to repair that I don't even know where to start. It kind of scares me away from the game to be honest.

Koh

Is it worthwhile to start over? I played probably 30 hours and got a nearly maxed out inventory ship and exosuit (at launch, probably different now).

I just checked and i last played August of last year.

NotSelf

Has anyone made anything cool with the terrain tool? I wanted to make a house with it but I found it to be quite difficult to use.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Just bought this game and I feel overwhelmed like crazy with all of this info-bonanza going on. There's so much data to keep track of, and broken items and minerals to collect and stuff to repair that I don't even know where to start. It kind of scares me away from the game to be honest.

stay on he critical path, its what im doing tbh, then dabble on side stuff as you find it

Stoffinator

Sadly the galaxy map doesn't work for me anymore. Wanted to go to a new galaxy and every time I go to use it, the game decides to crash.

OuterLimits

Yeah, unfortunately this seems to be a common problem. My base was so messed up on the normal game that I have pretty much abandoned the save file. I have started a new game on Survival which seems rather easy so far compared to before.

The inventory bugs for your backpack and ship are definitely annoying. The clouds seem broken to me as well. Patch notes mention enhanced weather, but it honestly looks worse. Night sky looks good though, and the planets themselves are much better.

In the past, they have been quick to fix major problems. Not sure if the base stuff will be an easy fix, but hopefully the broken inventory slots are soon.

I'm hoping this is the last time they do a big reset of the Universe.

Grassy

I'm downloading this now after not having played it since a month or so after launch, what are the must-have mods and tweaks I need?

Cheers.

Holy shit, this game is extremely CPU intensive! Every one of my cores was pegged at 100% throughout my playthrough. It was the equivalent of running a CPU stress test. I've never seen my CPU temps so high outside of running AIDA64 for an hour.

Very impressed so far though. I can't believe I waited a year to dive in. (Although judging by everyone's thoughts here, it was for the best)

So you can change home planets right? I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the new stuff, as I havent played since vanilla. Is there any early benefit to building up your first planet, even if its toxic, or should I just head out for something better?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I would advise Survival difficulty. Normal is way too easy in my opinion. Plus Survival has actually been made easier with this recent update.
IMO, this really depends on what you want out of the game.
So you can change home planets right? I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the new stuff, as I havent played since vanilla. Is there any early benefit to building up your first planet, even if its toxic, or should I just head out for something better?
I feel like the fact that you're asking this means that a really broad point needs to be generally emphasized:

you can do whatever the fuck you want. :p There are no explicit goals in this game that you receive a fail state if you don't strive toward- you can ignore all markers for the main story, base building, everything and the game is content to let you.

You can change home planets, you can change the planet your base is on after you build you, you can bypass the entire concept of having a home planet or building a base at all if you want to

To answer your specific question, no, get the heck off your toxic planet for friendlier skies (unless you favor the challenge of making a habitable home in a toxic wasteland)

8byte

Banned
Pretty sure you get this by wiping it off the corrupted terminals in the abandoned stations, kinda like the scrap metal from the damaged cases.

Well that's fucking dandy, lol.

My next objective is in a terminal that's underwater so it won't let me interact with things, so I guess I either start over or see if I can (by chance) find another terminal on another planet.

vpance

My home planet and base are completely scrambled.

The base is actually just gone, with a solitary geobay floating in mid air. And the planet became a barren wasteland. Lol wtf

OuterLimits

How do you manage in survival your increased health loss over time? It is pretty fast.

Find a cave or use platinum and iron to make one of those shielding shard things. Zinc will also recharge your hazard protection.

It's actually slower than before. It drains the same on cold planets at night now. Before the update, it lasted less than a minute at night.

Sigma upgrades are great on Survival, get them asap. They only use iron and carbon to install.(and it recharges your main hazard protection) When it runs out, you uninstall and get half of your resources back. Then install it again when your protection drops to 25%

Life support can be easily recharged with thamium9

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It may well be- because in this update they added in the foundational hooks for what was always going to be the biggest hurdle for the universe generation: multiplayer interaction.

But it's not guaranteed either... I'm betting that for Hello Games, when they put in the work and discover that a new piece of tech can literally benefit the experience for the player on any given planet- every planet- in the procedural universe, it's worth the inconvenience of changing existing ones despite the attachment many players (myself included) may have.

Well that's fucking dandy, lol.

My next objective is in a terminal that's underwater so it won't let me interact with things, so I guess I either start over or see if I can (by chance) find another terminal on another planet.
If this is what I'm thinking of, they're actually not that uncommon. Look for abandoned outposts if you find a beacon

OuterLimits

My home planet and base are completely scrambled.

The base is actually just gone, with a solitary geobay floating in mid air. And the planet became a barren wasteland. Lol wtf

It's a completely dead planet with no atmosphere? Yeah, those don't have any buildings. No wonder it glitched out. Damn.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
aAu3hxN.jpg
the last date I'd logged in... lol.... no particular reason I swear

OuterLimits

It may well be- because in this update they added in the foundational hooks for what was always going to be the biggest hurdle for the universe generation: multiplayer interaction.

But it's not guaranteed either... I'm betting that for Hello Games, when they put in the work and discover that a new piece of tech can literally benefit the experience for the player on any given planet- every planet- in the procedural universe, it's worth the inconvenience of changing existing ones despite the attachment many players (myself included) may have.

If this is what I'm thinking of, they're actually not that uncommon. Look for abandoned outposts if you find a beacon

I understand why they did the reset. It certainly improved the planets.(except I'm bummed they went back to higher building density again)

It just sucks that it so negatively impacted the ones who had stuck with the game and in many cases wiped out hours of work on bases.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
What are these different kinds of suit slots people are talking about?

I won't be able to check this out til Tuesday, haven't really played since before 1.1.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I understand why they did the reset. It certainly improved the planets.(except I'm bummed they went back to higher building density again)

It just sucks that it so negatively impacted the ones who had stuck with the game and in many cases wiped out hours of work on bases.
Totally sucks. I am very fortunate to have not done any base building yet (put all my time into my freighter so far) but I'm sure tons of my favorite surveyed planets are completely massacred.
What are these different kinds of suit slots people are talking about?

I won't be able to check this out til Tuesday, haven't really played since before 1.1.
The inventory is all segmented now:

mg0CYPP.png

General is basically the entirety of the old inventory. Technology is used specifically for installing tech. Cargo has high capacity slots for mats.

cwistofu

I'm getting random frame drops to 53-56 fps on my 1070 at 1440p with mostly max settings (vsync off, TAA). Sometimes drops to 40-something.

is this normal?

Roshin

I agree that the start of the game is rather awkward and not especially fun.

vpance

It's a completely dead planet with no atmosphere? Yeah, those don't have any buildings. No wonder it glitched out. Damn.

Yep.

I just moved my base in the previous patch and I didn't have much built, so no big deal. Gotta find a new location. Hope I still have all my resources.

mokeyjoe

If they do, I don't think it'll be for another year.

As a 'veteran' player I'm finding this update a bit disappointing to be honest. Although it's a bigger update than the last two, there's actually less new stuff to do.

Base building, new game modes and vehicles were entire new activities to the game. Sure, there is a better mission structure now, and I appreciate the tightened mechanics in some game aspects. But in the end I'm just doing the same stuff I was doing in Pathfinder. Except my game's bugged and a bit broken now.

I was really hoping for a flora and fauna overhaul as well as some new terrain features. I'm not sure if the new story alone is enough to keep me coming back.

There's a lot of stuff for new players here, but not a lot for old players. Still, I'm glad the game continues to get updates..

chances14

Neo Member
can anyone with an existing save and a maxed out exosuit (48 slots) prior to the update purchase the high capcity inventory slots at the drop pods? i go to the drop pods and I am not able to interact with it at all

I also can not use the technology slots in my ship maxed out ship, which was acquired before the update

I hope these are bugs and not intentional. Really don't have the time or motivation to start over

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
The inventory is all segmented now:

mg0CYPP.png

General is basically the entirety of the old inventory. Technology is used specifically for installing tech. Cargo has high capacity slots for mats.
Interesting, thanks! Seems like a nice change, even if there are some bugs associated with it right now.

Does anyone know why my warp is now much shorter? It should be 700 light years, but is only 200 now? All of the warps that I had previously are still built.

chances14

Neo Member
Does anyone know why my warp is now much shorter? It should be 700 light years, but is only 200 now? All of the warps that I had previously are still built.

looks like they nerfed it. I used to be able to travel around 1500 lights years but now I can only travel a 1000 with all the 3 warp drive upgrades installed.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
how do you get more inventory early on (3 hours in, made about 3 warp jumps, on my way to
atlas station
story wise).

inventory space is whats doing my head in the most so far :(

It's more accurate now, actually. My previous warp was in excess of 1,600 lightyears, but in reality I was only traveling 400 or so. It's basically just fixing the miscalculation that used to exist in showing warp ranges. I believe you can still warp to all the same systems you could before, the numbers were just wrong then.

Completely uninteresting side note; if you install the game from GOG, it uses Celsius, regardless of what region you're in. Take that Fahrenheit!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Interesting, thanks! Seems like a nice change, even if there are some bugs associated with it right now.
For people playing on existing saves this will sum up a lot of things from this patch I think :p Hopefully there will be some fairly quick fixes.

chances14

Neo Member
how do you get more inventory early on (3 hours in, made about 3 warp jumps, on my way to
atlas station
story wise).

inventory space is whats doing my head in the most so far :(

look for drop pods on the planets. each drop pod you find allows you to add another slot to your exosuit. however each slot costs a few more units than the previous one

as for the ship, keep swapping them out for those with more slots at space stations, trading posts or with crashed ships on planets

it's a grind so be prepared...

Top Bottom