• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Atlas Rises |OT| Nada, Polo and you no longer fly solo

OuterLimits

If they do, I don't think it'll be for another year.

As a 'veteran' player I'm finding this update a bit disappointing to be honest. Although it's a bigger update than the last two, there's actually less new stuff to do.

Base building, new game modes and vehicles were entire new activities to the game. Sure, there is a better mission structure now, and I appreciate the tightened mechanics in some game aspects. But in the end I'm just doing the same stuff I was doing in Pathfinder. Except my game's bugged and a bit broken now.

I was really hoping for a flora and fauna overhaul as well as some new terrain features. I'm not sure if the new story alone is enough to keep me coming back.

There's a lot of stuff for new players here, but not a lot for old players. Still, I'm glad the game continues to get updates..

I kind of agree. Although I am excited for the expanded story and lore. Plus I enjoy quests even if repetitive and rather simplistic.

My main disappointment outside of the current bugs and crashes, is how Survival mode was made easier. I loved it before because it was definitely challenging. Having fewer buildings on planets was one of the aspects I enjoyed most.

Now I'm basically seeing green question marks constantly. It reminds me of the game at release. Hazard protection drops the same rate both day and night regardless of temperature. Plus, summoning your ship anywhere obviously makes things easier. Resources seem much more plentiful as well.

Building your own save beacon doesn't really seem necessary anymore.

Basically it feels a lot like normal mode did at release in some ways. I wonder if Hello Games realizes how much they nerfed their own Survival mode.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
look for drop pods on the planets. each drop pod you find allows you to add another slot to your exosuit. however each slot costs a few more units than the previous one

as for the ship, keep swapping them out for those with more slots at space stations, trading posts or with crashed ships on planets

it's a grind so be prepared...

whats a drop pod :(

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
whats a drop pod :(
If you find a signal scanner (bright tall red beam of light), you can craft a Bypass Chip in your inventory and choose "Shelter" from the scanner. Usually it will point you straight toward a drop pod. You will also just come to recognize the shape of drop pods and sometimes notice them.

For people playing on existing saves this will sum up a lot of things from this patch I think :p Hopefully there will be some fairly quick fixes.
"My base is now 50m in the air, and the main hallway is gone because of the new vendor in the hub and I can't connect it to the rest of the pods" is certainly not a bug I would have anticipated! I have this ridiculous trail of ramps to get up and even that takes a jetpack jump to get to. Uh yeah, I should probably relocate.

Oh, and also "if I try to warp to my freighter's location I pop up in the middle of the hull, clipping out into space and I have to restart the game" is pretty damn weird.

Ok, I said I don't like the new dialogue setup, but now I REALLY don't like it. I'm literally stuck in a conversation, going to have to close out of the game from the quick menu and lose a bit of progress. All because you can no longer just exit a conversation with circle, and there is no option to leave this particular conversation, which shouldn't even have happened as it's a recruiting conversation and I don't even have a home base yet, which means I can't accept (only dialogue option).

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
If you find a signal scanner (bright tall red beam of light), you can craft a Bypass Chip in your inventory and choose "Shelter" from the scanner. Usually it will point you straight toward a drop pod. You will also just come to recognize the shape of drop pods and sometimes notice them.

they are structures scattered randomly throughout the planets. build signal boosters to locate them

hmmm :/

the only time I built a scanner was in the first planet when the game "told me" to do it. Is that something I should be doing on every planet then?

OuterLimits

Ok, I said I don't like the new dialogue setup, but now I REALLY don't like it. I'm literally stuck in a conversation, going to have to close out of the game from the quick menu and lose a bit of progress. All because you can no longer just exit a conversation with circle, and there is no option to leave this particular conversation, which shouldn't even have happened as it's a recruiting conversation and I don't even have a home base yet, which means I can't accept (only dialogue option).

I wonder why we can't exit the conversation anymore. That seems like an odd decision.

I noticed when reading the logs at terminals in Abandoned Stations, it only shows a sentence or two and it doesn't display the entire message at once anymore.

I think the devs made the right choice to not let you back out of a conversation, collect the resource necessary, then come back. But they need to make sure it works across all conversations. Seems as though the conversations where you have to give the alien something have a "ask for directions" option as a fail safe if you don't have the resources.

Kaizer

Banned
Man, all the buzz around this new update has me really interested in finally checking the game out. How big is the update file on PS4?

mokeyjoe

I kind of agree. Although I am excited for the expanded story and lore. Plus I enjoy quests even if repetitive and rather simplistic.

My main disappointment outside of the current bugs and crashes, is how Survival mode was made easier. I loved it before because it was definitely challenging. Having fewer buildings on planets was one of the aspects I enjoyed most.

Now I'm basically seeing green question marks constantly. It reminds me of the game at release. Hazard protection drops the same rate both day and night regardless of temperature. Plus, summoning your ship anywhere obviously makes things easier. Resources seem much more plentiful as well.

Building your own save beacon doesn't really seem necessary anymore.

Basically it feels a lot like normal mode did at release in some ways. I wonder if Hello Games realizes how much they nerfed their own Survival mode.

I don't know, you can still screw yourself in survival. Having not played in a while I wasn't paying attention and landed on a planet without enough plutonium to lift off. Ended up hiding in a cave making short runs for scraps of plutonium. Nearly died when a firestorm hit were it not for some swift grenade burrowing.

You never had that at launch in normal. You wouldn't now. I think if you're a new player starting out in survival, it's still plenty hard enough.

elguero

Played for a good four hours tonight but felt like I made no tangible progress. The game is so huge now with multilayered game play loops it's tough to stay focused on an objective.

FyreWulff

I don't mean to be a downer (but I am about to use the word "but")

But it seems that everyone forgot the launch of the game. It was blatant lies and the game was horrible. It's true what they say, the cycle continues. This is exactly why we can't have nice things... because you guys are supporting this kind of behavior "with your wallets".

Games will continue to launch broken, games will continue to launch with DLC in mind as a development while the game is still in development, games will continue to launch with loot boxes, games will continue to launch with making the most money from the players as much as possible, now single player games are being affected too (Middle Earth Shadow of War).

I mean, I'm happy where the game seems to be now (I don't own it yet), but the cycle will continue, there will be another NMS.

Edit, dammit! Nothing good ever comes for me for being first in the new page...

All of NMS's updates have been free.

Unicorn

Played for about 7 hours straight today.

Pissed my known materials was erased and the bade stuff is borked I'm tears of progression. Can't craft any lubricant or voltaic cells. Gonna wait for a hot fix on that shit.

Did a repair mission but cannot find anyone selling lubricant or some heat capacitor or something so fucking that paltry payout

I don't know, you can still screw yourself in survival. Having not played in a while I wasn't paying attention and landed on a planet without enough plutonium to lift off. Ended up hiding in a cave making short runs for scraps of plutonium. Nearly died when a firestorm hit were it not for some swift grenade burrowing.

You never had that at launch in normal. You wouldn't now. I think if you're a new player starting out in survival, it's still plenty hard enough.

I assume you can't summon a broken ship? so early game, or when you crash, it's going to be still difficult. And as you say it still needs a lot of resources to take off.

Survival mode should force you to land if there's a storm and possibly damage the ship, and not allow you to take off during. That would cut out "oops let's leave planet" as soon as you realize the atmosphere is rough, and be a lot like sci-fi movies as a ship always gets wrecked in a crazy electrical storm in the movies.

Man, all the buzz around this new update has me really interested in finally checking the game out. How big is the update file on PS4?
~7.5GB

And, yeah, it's a new feeling. I'm actually excited to go through stuff and explore more for the first time since I got the game on release day. Much unknown! Even with cash on hand and equipment from before there's a ton to do.

The patch sucks so far for me.

I had to remove all my mods, delete all the shader files, config files and my save game just to get past the "Loading Shaders" screen without it crashing. Then I had to manually change my settings back and swap out the new save game files for the old ones.

Now my game loads but I'm on a space station far away from my home base planet and the game crashes when I use the Teleporter. The NPC and animal models also look super low-res -- possibly worse than pre-patch although I can't really tell because I was using texture mods for a long time.

I'm on my 2nd long playthough so I'm not starting again. I could build a new base but I can't really be bothered. I'll try the Experimental Patch I guess.

I think the devs made the right choice to not let you back out of a conversation, collect the resource necessary, then come back. But they need to make sure it works across all conversations. Seems as though the conversations where you have to give the alien something have a "ask for directions" option as a fail safe if you don't have the resources.
You can still back out of most conversations though, you just have to do it by selecting the leave option. It's obviously just something they missed, but it's just another thing I don't like about the new conversations. Main issue I have with it is you can no longer see their entire conversation only the last thing they said, which is dumb.

My Daughter and I played a ton tonight, she's on a Phenom II 965 BE with a gtx 670, I'm on a I7 6700k with a gtx 1070, both of us had zero issues, and man since putting it down a few weeks after original launch there just seems like such a massive improvement.

I found a ship on my starting planet, fixed it up, traded it for a slightly worse but more repaired one and started hauling emeril to the station for some funds.

There's a shit ton of buildings on my starter planet, donno if that changes once you start jumping but it was odd lol. Also there's 2 stupid animals I can't find that are likely hiding down some deep cave holding my 200k reward ransom =(

Super excited to try the new stuff out. For the price on gog $26 Canadian it was worth double dipping.

ll_J0N_ll

Anyone figured how to get the reward after finding all species on the planet? It tells me to upload and receive but I have no idea how now?

Edit: found it. You have to hold x (ps4) on the paw print top right. It changes from silver to gold.

c0Zm1c

They've done a wonderful job with the ground textures in this update. So detailed and varied. I'm frequently pausing just to look down and admire it haha.

I'm really impressed with what they've accomplished. Haters keep hatin'; vindication has arrived.

Unfortunately for me, I doubt I'll have the time to accumulate the amount of wealth necessary to be able to afford the insanely exorbitant prices.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
So, my base was hilariously under the ocean and buried partly through sand that I can't destroy. Lol.

And it was captured all on glorious live stream.

I tried to work my way out from the surface, since it appeared like I was floating in space when I exited my base, and I had to blast my way out of a bit of floor that was under the water. I got to the surface, and my ship was parked nearby. My base was literally buried deep in the earth.

I spent about 5-10 minutes blowing up the earth around it to see if I could maybe reach my storage containers and retrieve whatever the hell I had stored there. No luck. The storage containers were buried in the indestructible sand, while my base was mostly inaccessible, primarily because I couldn't use my weapon while inside.

So I'm now a drifting space cowboy, searching for a new home and doing odd jobs here and there to get back what I've lost.

I'm loving this update so far. I did a few courier quests, but I also came across a random 3 star bounty that netted me a nice 300k for my troubles. I can't wait to sink more time into it over the weekend.

I'm not bummed about my base, and I expected shenanigans when it was clear this update was more than just a few features and the Galaxy would need to be reseeded.

EDIT: Oh, and my precious lush homeworld was now toxic/irradiated (one of the two, I can't remember)

paulogy

So I have over 250 marrow bulbs yet my Scientist won't accept it (to give me the Voltaic cell + Rubber blueprints). Is this a bug? Have I skipped a step somehow?

halfbeast

Banned
NtXFNSN.gif

sYx4lkd.jpg

h773rPZ.jpg

2590922-3988854157-kqz1p.gif

x5ynn7h.jpg

8873e4657e134bc866ae829b9209c429.gif

(she's bi)

AzaK

So who's tried it and would it be worth jumping in now for someone who has never played it (it's on special on humble store)?

paulogy

did you have the blueprints pre-patch already?

I did.

I think I fixed it! I went into the LOG and clicked on the specific sub-objective to get the cave marrow, then it triggered it as complete (since I have plenty), said to return to the scientist, and now his dialog has advanced to speak about the voltaic cells.

So I think the lesson here is if it seems like a mission is stuck, go to the mission menu and click on the objective again and that might loosen it :)

If they do, I don't think it'll be for another year.

As a 'veteran' player I'm finding this update a bit disappointing to be honest. Although it's a bigger update than the last two, there's actually less new stuff to do.

Base building, new game modes and vehicles were entire new activities to the game. Sure, there is a better mission structure now, and I appreciate the tightened mechanics in some game aspects. But in the end I'm just doing the same stuff I was doing in Pathfinder. Except my game's bugged and a bit broken now.

I was really hoping for a flora and fauna overhaul as well as some new terrain features. I'm not sure if the new story alone is enough to keep me coming back.

There's a lot of stuff for new players here, but not a lot for old players. Still, I'm glad the game continues to get updates..
Hope they just stop resetting in general. Or at least try be more careful in changing planets we may already be attached to, whether technically through bases or even just emotionally (and I use that loosely lol I mean it kinda sucks to lose my fave snow planet or my starter snow planet but I mean it's not that big of a deal -- just it'd be nice to avoid.

Not sure how I feel yet about the patch either. Game is clearly improved but it as someone that mostly just liked mining on my favorite planets, it's kinda disrupted that and I gotta do a lot of re-building lost/deleted Automated Mining Units, re-finding planets, etc. Kinda set me back rather than opened up new content to me.

Still, at the very least, the new economies seem pretty cool. Excited to learn more about them.

Anyone delve into them much yet? Do they affect prices of goods? E.g. Selling Elerium... prices higher or lower in Mining, Ore Extraction, Ore Processing Star Systems? Higher or lower if said system is Developing or Wealthy?

Or do those things affect resource deposit spawn rates? E.g. you'd think a Ore Extraction, Wealthy system would have a higher than average amount of Elerium.

Primus

PC version, having fairly consistent crashing issues when scanning. Hit L3 on the controller, bam, right out to desktop.

What's everyone's sensitivity and fob settings on PS4 ? Trying to find a good balance.

I decided to wipe my save and start fresh , that early grind is going to be a pain again , but on the plus side it gives me reasons to land and explore again . Started on a hellhole and then found a perfect lush place the next planet . Think I will stay here for awhile .

- love low flight mode
- love the new textures
- before I deleted my save took on 3 pirates and got absolutely wrecked so they may have tuned there firepower as I used to take on 10-20 with no issues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE0nuW-mQ8A

One example took me 5 seconds to find

"You guys are building your own massively multiplayer world that's procedurally generated.."

"Right."
Come on now, that is far from pitching a game as an MMO, all he said was "Right" in response to what someone else said lol.

Not saying he didn't lie, but that definitely wasn't a pitch.

Also, whenever he did go into detail about the MP capabilities of the game, it was always only seeing a few people around you, not hundreds like an MMO.

PC version, having fairly consistent crashing issues when scanning. Hit L3 on the controller, bam, right out to desktop.
There seems to be a good amount of crashing in a few places, I've got the game to crash multiple times trying to unpin a recipe (hate that the game auto pins new recipes).

Jobbs

Banned
Come on now, that is far from pitching a game as an MMO, all he said was "Right" in response to what someone else said lol.

Not saying he didn't lie, but that definitely wasn't a pitch.

Also, whenever he did go into detail about the MP capabilities of the game, it was always only seeing a few people around you, not hundreds like an MMO.

I mean, if the answer is no, you don't say yes. You say no.

I don't want to go over everything again. I just couldn't resist answering this one thing. I genuinely hope everyone is enjoying the game.

c0Zm1c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE0nuW-mQ8A

One example took me 5 seconds to find

"You guys are building your own massively multiplayer world that's procedurally generated.."

"Right."

You can now bump into other players at random in the universe. If that's not some form of "massively multiplayer world" then I don't know what else it is.

He never said it would be a "full MMO" or a "full living universe sim". Assuming by those you mean he promised the kind of features and experiences we can have in traditional MMOs, then yes, the parts I bolded in your post were indeed not accurate. He never pitched that.

In fact, with what is in the game now it actually brings some truth to his many other statements about a *multiplayer* that sadly, for whatever reason, didn't make it into the game at launch, such as the Journey-like experience and the lobby system he at one time was talking about.

Jobbs

Banned
You can now bump into other players at random in the universe. If that's not some form of "massively multiplayer world" then I don't know what else it is.

He never said it would be a "full MMO" or a "full living universe sim". Assuming by those you mean he promised the kind of features and experiences we can have in traditional MMOs, then yes, the parts I bolded in your post were indeed not accurate. He never pitched that.

In fact, with what is in the game now it actually brings some truth to his many other statements about a *multiplayer* that sadly, for whatever reason, didn't make it into the game at launch, such as the Journey-like experience and the lobby system he at one time was talking about.

Yeah. I think it's cool that they're still adding stuff to the game, and I think some of it looks cool. I thought the new video was exciting -- and I say this as someone who was really butthurt about this game around launch.

I love a good story of redemption. I just think that for redemption you need humility and some kind of admission that you did something wrong. If they just did that I'd be 1000% in their corner.

But that's a story for another thread. I'll stop carrying on this particular discussion in this particular thread and leave you guys to it. :)

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Also lying means saying something when you know it is not true. Not to take the ARG references to old build testing too literally, but at that point in time one of the feature branches had that feature in and it had to be ripped out later on to make launch.

I like how the narrative is so strongly about him saying things he knew were not true to scam people... “of course HG spent a year working on tons of free updates as they had to rebuild their reputation/community support” —> There here is no way to win this beside stating “we lied, we tried to scam you and run away with the money, and if you had not caught us we would have been in holiday for a year (please send us the amount of money you want back as compensation)” which is something that was unproven then and has less ground to stand on now if anything.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yeah. I think it's cool that they're still adding stuff to the game, and I think some of it looks cool. I thought the new video was exciting -- and I say this as someone who was really butthurt about this game around launch.

I love a good story of redemption. I just think that for redemption you need humility and some kind of admission that you did something wrong. If they just did that I'd be 1000% in their corner.

But that's a story for another thread. I'll stop carrying on this particular discussion in this particular thread and leave you guys to it. :)

They did show humility post launch and the best way to say sorry is to do something about it which they did. Amidst the threats of lawsuits, the stalking, the death threats, and daily vitriol directed their way people always asked then to essentially say they scammed people and prepare for a class action suit that would have put then in serious serious trouble and would have never allowed them to work on these updates.

Top Bottom