• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Atlas Rises |OT| Nada, Polo and you no longer fly solo

16BitNova

They added these notes to the website. It's 16 player Co-Op:

Glitches in the simulation have begun to appear.
Visualised by strange floating orbs, up to 16 players can see and communicate with one another, and explore the universe together.
While interaction with others is currently very limited, this is an important first step into the world of synchronous co-op in No Man’s Sky.
While interaction is very limited, VOIP (Voice over IP) allows proximity based voice chat with other nearby explorers.
Use portals to quickly travel to more populated planets, or to meet up with friends.

I've had the game lying around and never played it. Was gonna start cause of this update. I feel this probably just spoiled a huge story point to me. Lol. Oh well.

schlynch

Just bought it. The new additions sound nice, same as with the last update.

Does the PC version support HDR by now? I can only find old posts where it was console only.

JJShadow

Just grabbed this for £9.99 on the PS Store. Kudos to HelloGames for all the effort they have put into the game during all these months, I'm really excited to dig into this!

SomTervo

Big PC question:

Can i play HOTAS controller while in ship and KBM while on foot?

The mouse ship flight controls are horrific. Clearly built for joypad.

haikira

Soooo tempted by the 9.99 deal on EU PSN.

I grabbed the game at launch, and sold it on very quickly after. The low FOV was actually a very big contributor to why though, and even just that being adjustable now does a lot to tempt be back.

Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in.

EDIT Are there any comparison screens for different FOV values?

Just grabbed this for £9.99 on the PS Store. Kudos to HelloGames for all the effort they have put into the game during all these months, I'm really excited to dig into this!

The game is 9.99?? Honestly wouldn't hesitate to buy it at that price.

Pre-ordered it at full price and did not regret it a bit. At 9.99 it's a sure bet, imo.

Even if you don't like it, at least you can experience one of the most ambitious projects ever in videogames.

SomTervo

I've booted up the game after a year and it works pretty badly with my 1080, sttuters a lot and seems to be capped at 30fps even though I have set 90fps maximum. I've already disabled Gsync - any clues on what I might be missing?

It stuttered nasty for me on launch but smoothed out once in gameplay.

What are your other specs?

I turned off vsync but aside from that i have everything in high and I'm around 90 all the time: 1080, 16 ram, i5 4690k (3.6ghz 4x)

I grabbed the game at launch, and sold it on very quickly after. The low FOV was actually a very big contributor to why though, and even just that being adjustable now does a lot to tempt be back.

EDIT Are there any comparison screens for the new FOV slider?
The fov slider on pc helps a lot - but on console it's bugged so doesn't actually change the fov. Iirc.

edgefusion

I'm looking up at the night sky on my home planet and there are two other identical looking planets right next to each other. What's up with that? Is it a bug or does the game only have a limited number of planet 'skins' to show?

The FoV slider is still a bit like looking through binoculars even cranked up to max. It is much improved though and doesn't make me ill anymore (so far!).

Edit Here's a screenshot of the FoV at 75 (default) and cranked up to 100 (max).

pA3Kn55.jpg

SomTervo

I'm looking up at the night sky on my home planet and there are two other identical looking planets right next to each other. What's up with that? Is it a bug or does the game only have a limited number of planet 'skins' to show?

Yep, I've got the "identical planet skin" thing right now too.

Definitely wasn't like that at launch. Think it's a bug introduced by new rendering distances.

Seiniyta

Yep, I've got the "identical planet skin" thing right now too.

Definitely wasn't like that at launch. Think it's a bug introduced by new rendering distances.

No, this was actually at launch as well, each planet in the far distance has the same cloud texture until you get close to the planet. It's an area of the game that does need work. Just a LoD thing really.

Fredrik

I don't have a monitor with gsync and I read on the internet that leaving gsync enabled can take a toll on performance if you don't actually have gsync
Ah sorry I thought you had a gsync screen. Do you have vsync on? For me it felt extremely jerky with vsync off when it teared, even though the framerate was like 90 fps going by steam's fps counter.
But you say the framerate is capped at 30fps so it probably something else messing with your game. Maybe the settings have been messed up from the patch somehow?
Have you checked the graphics settings file?
SteamApps/Common/No Man's Sky/Binaries/SETTINGS
TKGRAPHICSSETTINGS.MXML
This is what I have in my file regarding the framerate.
<Property name="MaxframeRate" value="90" />

deadfolk

Is there a way yet to disable seeing other players' discoveries?

What stopped me playing originally was when I started seeing rubbish names for already discovered planets. Nothing breaks the immersion more when you're supposed to be exploring an undiscovered galaxy.

Once I started running into those it completely ruined it for me.

SomTervo

No, this was actually at launch as well, each planet in the far distance has the same cloud texture until you get close to the planet. It's an area of the game that does need work. Just a LoD thing really.

Really? Man i guess i just never noticed it at launch even though i looked at countless planets from the ground.

daxy

I've booted up the game after a year and it works pretty badly with my 1080, sttuters a lot and seems to be capped at 30fps even though I have set 90fps maximum. I've already disabled Gsync - any clues on what I might be missing?

The regular in-game vsync seems to be double buffered so it will lock you to 30 if it drops a bit under 60/native. Disable that and try borderless with a cap in RTSS at whatever your monitor's native refresh rate it. Alternatively, turn on vsync and triple buffering in your videocard's control panel.

The fov slider on pc helps a lot - but on console it's bugged so doesn't actually change the fov. Iirc.

I found the FOV slider to be wanting. Even though it says 100, it's clearly not actually what we regularly identify as 100 degree FOV. It's way too narrow. In the game's settings files you can crank it up even further. I set mine to 120 and that looks more like the typical 90 FOV to me. Maybe 100 looks weird because it feels like the character model is really close to the ground.

sueil

So when is the patch to fix the patch? A bunch of things seem kinda busted which isn't bad enough to ruin things but has me wanting to wait. I couldn't do one of the base building missions because I built the item before it told me to and then it wouldn't recognize I had built it. The cargo exosuit slots not working is annoying as well.

Have a proper weird issue with the game - while as my base, when I try to teleport to my station, I crash out the station into space with no way to get back in :/
Tried a few times with the same issue, even reloaded the save, rebooted the console (OG PS4) and even went and found a different planet to have a new base building but still the something. Only happened since the new patch (normal game mode).
Anyone had anything similar or know how I can resolve this?

Heres a link of it occurring:
https://youtu.be/PFHd4qe7ADk

Have submitted bug report on their website.

13ruce

Banned
Damn guess i will make a normal mode save first survival is a bit harsh as a newcomer:p

Gonna restart the game till i get a cool planet. I like the feel of the game already btw.

Tumle

Full MMO?
Yea I like to see all those MMO pitches that they apparently gave?
If anything Sean has always been very vague about how multiplayer would function.. like not knowing what you look like until meeting another player..
He always pointed it out as being a very solitary experience..
But apparently I didn't see all the "real" pitches..

Ah sorry I thought you had a gsync screen. Do you have vsync on? For me it felt extremely jerky with vsync off when it teared, even though the framerate was like 90 fps going by steam's fps counter.
But you say the framerate is capped at 30fps so it probably something else messing with your game. Maybe the settings have been messed up from the patch somehow?
Have you checked the graphics settings file?
SteamApps/Common/No Man's Sky/Binaries/SETTINGS
TKGRAPHICSSETTINGS.MXML
This is what I have in my file regarding the framerate.
<Property name="MaxframeRate" value="90" />

Sounds good, I'll do that once I get home :) Thank you

The regular in-game vsync seems to be double buffered so it will lock you to 30 if it drops a bit under 60/native. Disable that and try borderless with a cap in RTSS at whatever your monitor's native refresh rate it. Alternatively, turn on vsync and triple buffering in your videocard's control panel.

I think you're onto something. I'll try disabling VSync, let's hope it doesn't dip too much

Caved and bought it this morning. Played two hours now before taking an break and have been having fun. Managed to get off planet and land on another in that time. Took me forever running around my planet to understand I needed to craft that beacon to be able to find the final resource to repair my ship...

13ruce

Banned
Okay this starting planet is a keeper.
There is a huge ship (freighter) crashed near the beginning where my ship is and it's a cool snow planet too.

8byte

Banned
It's hard to get into it yet because I don't know what "30 hours of story" means, but the ability to see a limited number of other people as orbs and do nothing interactive with them still isn't the full MMO the game was at times pitched as. (bolded isn't accurate) I just don't see the full living universe sim where anything is possible in these patch notes.

I hope the additions make the game better and that people enjoy them, but I'm very hesitant to say based on reading the notes that the game will be transformed into what it was originally pitched as.

I think you're maybe mistaking this for another game, lol. No one ever pitched it as an MMO.

Ephemeris

I did.

I think I fixed it! I went into the LOG and clicked on the specific sub-objective to get the cave marrow, then it triggered it as complete (since I have plenty), said to return to the scientist, and now his dialog has advanced to speak about the voltaic cells.

So I think the lesson here is if it seems like a mission is stuck, go to the mission menu and click on the objective again and that might loosen it :)

DUDE.

THANK. YOU.

edgefusion

There is a huge ship (freighter) crashed near the beginning where my ship is and it's a cool snow planet too.

I think the crashed ship is part of the new storyline. I started a new save and one of the very first quests is to explore one, so I'm guessing the game is just generating a crashed freighter nearby when the quest is activated.

So to improve my fps on PS4, I should LOWER my FoV number?

I haven't played in a long time so I can't attest to the games regular performance, but playing on OG PS4 with FoV at 100 I've only noticed a couple of very minor framerate dips.

Assanova

A huge crashed ship? I don't think I've ever seen one of those. Anyone know if this is new in the update?

daxy

A huge crashed ship? I don't think I've ever seen one of those. Anyone know if this is new in the update?

Yeah, it's new. You should be able to loot their cargo. Not sure if you can restore them. Doubt it.

The story mode should point you to one as part of one of the objectives.

Damnit my PC save isn't working. Just getting stuck on "loading shaders" at the start of the game... I had sooo much more money on my PC version and a better ship as opposed to my PS4 one!

Anyways, been checking out the new patch last night and this morning on PS4, some really great changes here. Looking forward to what comes next :)

13ruce

Banned
Post a pic I'd you can.

Really looking forward to finding one myself.

I will post a couple in a few mins:p never made screens on ps4 yet but i will post some soon of the huge bigass crashed freighter. It looks amazing.

I think the crashed ship is part of the new storyline. I started a new save and one of the very first quests is to explore one, so I'm guessing the game is just generating a crashed freighter nearby when the quest is activated.

I just started on a new game on a new planet so i don't have started any quests unless it does so automaticly. And i still need to fix my own small ship too. I found it after 3 mins when i started on the planet. (i was restarting till i got a cool beginning planet) never played the gsme before too.

Yes a huge freighter ship crashed into the snow planet i am in i will post some pics in a sec.

I have yet to explore it, it was already there.

I will post a couple in a few mins:p never made screens on ps4 yet but i will post some soon of the huge bigass crashed freighter. It looks amazing.
They implemented the photo mode after I stopped playing but it's a fantastic tool.

You can freeze the game, move the camera, change the time of day and weather so you can just take a ps4 screen shot. Amazing stuff and really makes me want to take more to share.

daxy

It speaks Atlas gibberish and just makes me leave... do I have to find another interface?

I think you just pick whatever the option is that doesn't say 'cancel'. Something like 'intercept transmission' iirc. After you've restored your ship, you'll have a waypoint to some distress beacon.

magawolaz

Top Bottom