• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Atlas Rises |OT| Nada, Polo and you no longer fly solo

kiguel182

For those that played the previous versions:

I assume Awakenings is the new story stuff? And the Atlas the old one? Awakenings reappeared after I followed the Atlas Path for a while. I still have no idea what is happening but I enjoy the mystery of the universe. Altought this is all very daunting.

The pulsating red orb next to where you crash landed starts it off.

Ah shit. Guess what I forgot to activate before I took off in my ship? :/

Does anyone know if not 'talking' to the red orb next to your crashed ship affects the story in any way? I'm parked in the local space station now so no chance of finding the crash site now.

daxy

Ah shit. Guess what I forgot to activate before I took off in my ship? :/

Does anyone know if not 'talking' to the red orb next to your crashed ship affects the story in any way? I'm parked in the local space station now so no chance of finding the crash site now.

Is there anything you haven't done yet in your quest log?

In any case, you should be able to return to it if you find a space anomaly in the galaxy map, I believe. It could take a few warp jumps before it appears though.

This has been fun to start up again. Running into the same major problem as before... my home planet is a 100% barren hellscape with nothing but occasional iron pebbles and plutonium specks. I have to move planets to farm goddamn carbon because no one at bases sells it. I'd move, but, meh, it's my planet and I'm used to the neighborhood. Seems your life support still receives the outdoor penalty when indoors on an extreme planet, too. This isn't new.

WARNING: If deconstructing pieces of your base, clear all components from the inside first, then anything on the sides, and only then remove the structures. You won't get refunded anything you don't explicitly dismantle, including the extremely valuable market hub and all your plants. It might not be in 100% of situations, but I'm not risking it further. Thanks 2nd-backup save! As far as I know this is common knowledge, but I've never seriously rearranged things to run into it. I'll admit I have no idea where to store almost 100 glass fragments.

Is that horrid undersea element required for rubber at all easier to farm than before? I have a stockpile of 500-1000 of every other element including the weird ones, but none of the kelp.

Is there anything you haven't done yet in your quest log?

I have the 'Awakenings' mission where I have to visit the signal transmitter. Does that mean everything is A-okay? I just remember not talking to the red orb back at release and there were reports that it would affect the story in some way. I searched for my crash site for days and eventually found it so I'm not sure if those reports were accurate. I didn't want to risk it.

Septimius

So the sensitivity of my controller on PC has completely changed feel. It seems the dead zone is bigger, the smoothing that used to be there, and still is there on PS4 is gone.. Has anyone else noticed this?

0racle

I booted it up. looks like an actual game now with some cohesive ideas. I platinumed it before on PS4 before any updates.

Overall it looks and plays better. I adjusted the FOV to 100 but still found myself sick after 20 minutes due to nausea, which is strange as I dont remember having that issue before

13ruce

Banned
Puttig those crashed freighter screens soon now was searching my whole place for a usb flash drive:p to transfer em to my laptop.

daxy

I have the 'Awakenings' mission where I have to visit the signal transmitter. Does that mean everything is A-okay? I just remember not talking to the red orb back at release and there were reports that it would affect the story in some way. I searched for my crash site for days and eventually found it so I'm not sure if those reports were accurate. I didn't want to risk it.

Yeah, you're good to go. I restarted my game, talked to the orb, and I also only have Awakenings as my primary mission. In that case, I suppose I'm not sure anymore what the difference is from not talking to it.

I decided the game was close enough to the original vision to buy now. Should have it by Monday, any tips?
Go where you want, do what you want. Honestly the fun is in the discovery and exploration, especially at the start when you're seeing the scale of everything. Take it at your own pace and see where your curiosity takes you.

Patrick S.

Banned
Got it from PSN after the heads up about the game being on sale right now. I was super disappointed when the game launched, but now I decided to give this a chance. I have only played an hour so far, but the game already feels like it has that special something to become one of the few games I spend more than an hour or three with. I'm even considering double dipping with a steelbook copy, because that box looks so nice.

Septimius

Got it from PSN after the heads up about the game being on sale right now. I was super disappointed when the game launched, but now I decided to give this a chance. I have only played an hour so far, but the game already feels like it has that special something to become one of the few games I spend more than an hour or three with. I'm even considering double dipping with a steelbook copy, because that box looks so nice.

That box is hands down the prettiest game box I've ever owned.

My perfect home world turned into a toxic nightmare.

But I got lucky - there's an island planet in my system now, so I can jump back and forth from there.

I've been doing the Overseer questline, and it's pretty easy since I have almost all the stuff needed so far. I only had to jump to an adjacent system to hire some new base tech guys.

And I can take any system's teleporter back to my home base so I don't have to waste Warp Fuel going both ways.

Mathieran

Banned
I said I would wait a few weeks to play but I couldn't resist. Played a bit tonight and this morning. I picked up my old save that I haven't played much since before the first content patch.

I'm really lost and overwhelmed but everything seems great. The game has changed a lot, hardly recognizable from when I originally played it.

Performance is pretty good on the pro, the 60 fps is really nice although it does dip when there's a lot of effects on the screen. Seems pretty good in space though.

The planets feel a lot better now, better visually and seem more natural. Also seems like resources other than carbon are a little more difficult to come by now as well. Also lots of new tech that I need to acquire apparently.

I'm considering restarting a new game, but I took a lot of time getting my upgraded suit, ship, and multi tool. I don't really want to give them up. I'm gonna stick with it for a while and see if it clicks.

does anyone know how to start the new storyline? and whats the best way to earn money for ships?

The storyline popped up for me after I jumped two systems. Don't know if it will be the same for everyone. But you will get an incoming transmission, you can't miss it.

Shadybiz

Ordered this yesterday after reading about the updates. I took a pass when it released due to the generally poor impressions. Looking forward to checking it out, now that it seems to more closely resemble what was intended!

sikkinixx

I wish I had gotten this game when it was $15 a while back. I'd like to try it now. Oh well. I'll have to wait until the Steam version goes on sale for a deeper discount.

Bummer they couldn't have this stuff ready at or near launch.

Since no one that's played far has got back to you I'll try to explain a bit without spoilers what it was like pre-patch to give you some frame of reference. Note I've not played the vehicle update (Update 2) so if any story changed around that I wouldn't be aware.

I don't know anything about Awakenings. Before the lore was told primarily through four devices; atlas stations (the atlas path), anomalies (strange round bases that house two unique individuals, without spoiling much), monoliths (centred more around the history of each race) and abandoned buildings (terminals with goo on them that delve into your lore). The Atlas path consisted of just bouncing between Atlas Stations progressively getting cryptic messages as to the authenticity of the universe. It wanted you to avoid the centre. Anomalies were much the same, but with a focus toward black holes and getting further toward the centre.

Patrick S.

Banned
I wish I had gotten this game when it was $15 a while back. I'd like to try it now. Oh well. I'll have to wait until the Steam version goes on sale for a deeper discount.

Bummer they couldn't have this stuff ready at or near launch.

It's €23 right now. That's a good price considering the regular price is still more than €50 on Steam.

Pineapple

I'm still struggling with inventory space. Exosuit and ship both have 48 slots, but I'm maxed out on both.

I've found a few bases but haven't really figured out how to add storage space. What do I need to do?

MattAces

I'm still struggling with inventory space. Exosuit and ship both have 48 slots, but I'm maxed out on both.

I've found a few bases but haven't really figured out how to add storage space. What do I need to do?

Start the chain of base building quest, hiring NPC and stuff. I believe storage is the first or second quest.

Quick question. Why is everyone's home world changing? I thought it's suppose to remain consistent

They updated the generation code, texture and more. So they will have to regenerate many of the stuff. Something like new world, the world structure (canyon, unique layout) and biome.

Quick question. Why is everyone's home world changing? I thought it's suppose to remain consistent
Significant updates regenerate the universe. I believe that after initial critical issues are resolved they then try to make it stable for those holding off updating. It's just part and parcel of proc-gen at this scale.

alexbull_uk

Looks great. It’s a real shame it didn’t launch like this but at least we’re getting there.

Glad I got it cheap a while back. Think it’s finally time to dive in properly.

Aenima

Too add storage in ur base u need to bulit a vault. You can build 9 or 10 vaults, each have 5 slots only but each slot can store 1000 of a material. What i did was built a vault room with 9 vaults on it.

Anyway for anyone that completed the story vefore how do u start the new quest line?

I beated the Path of atlas before and now the quest appeared again, so the only main quest in my log right now its the Path of Atlas.

Also i wanto to change home planet, do i have to do the building quests in my current home planet before i move to a new planet?

ianpm31

Start the chain of base building quest, hiring NPC and stuff. I believe storage is the first or second quest.

They updated the generation code, texture and more. So they will have to regenerate many of the stuff. Something like new world, the world structure (canyon, unique layout) and biome.

They regenerated the universe as there were so many changes. It's unfortunate for some people but it's for the best though!

The ๖ۜBronx;245976148 said:
Significant updates regenerate the universe. I believe that after initial critical issues are resolved they then try to make it stable for those holding off updating. It's just part and parcel of proc-gen at this scale.

Makes sense. Thanks

I haven't played in roughly a year so I'm going to start over from scratch

Pineapple

Too add storage in ur space stacion u need to bulit a vault. You can build 9 or 10 vaults, each have 5 slots only but each slot can store 1000 of a material. What i did was built a vault room with 9 vaults on it.

Are those the same thing as storage containers?

How's this running on a 7600k/1070/16 RAM rig?

I have a 6500/1070/16 GB of RAM, and it runs mostly around 60 FPS at 1080p. In space or on barren planets I get 80+ FPS. I also have everything maxed out except for AA and shadows. I will however get a few dips down into the 50s and high 40s.

I'm assuming with your 7600K you'll probably get slightly better performance.

theWB27

I found pressing circle once on the galaxy map allows you to go back to the free roam style.

The new effects have greatly improved the feel of planets. I've never spent time on cold planets but ive been on this one that gets 200 below for a good minute.

Also seeing how drastic the colors change from night to day is pretty good.

Spladam

Easily removing waypoints should make the next upgrade absolutely. Such an unnessary nuisance as it is now.

It's been an issue since day 1 of the game though. You'd think they'd have figured it out by now :p I wonder if the people at HG actively play the game themselves. It seems like such an obvious QOL fix.

He's not.
So he's not talking about "easily removing waypoints" ? Something that's been an issue since "day 1"?

I know you're not talking about that problem, you're talking about the new bug. But daxy, who you corrected was not. He was talking about "easily removing waypoints",
an "obvious quality of life fix", something that frustrates the shit out of me about NMS. Since Day 1

kiguel182

The ๖ۜBronx;245975780 said:
Since no one that's played far has got back to you I'll try to explain a bit without spoilers what it was like pre-patch to give you some frame of reference. Note I've not played the vehicle update (Update 2) so if any story changed around that I wouldn't be aware.

I don't know anything about Awakenings. Before the lore was told primarily through four devices; atlas stations (the atlas path), anomalies (strange round bases that house two unique individuals, without spoiling much), monoliths (centred more around the history of each race) and abandoned buildings (terminals with goo on them that delve into your lore). The Atlas path consisted of just bouncing between Atlas Stations progressively getting cryptic messages as to the authenticity of the universe. It wanted you to avoid the centre. Anomalies were much the same, but with a focus toward black holes and getting further toward the centre.

Thanks!

I guess the Atlas stuff is the same as it was on release and Awakenings is the new story content.

Septimius

I just got to my first station on my new save, and I saw the new trade items in the trade hub. I got literal goosebumps. I could suddenly imagine plotting trade routes and optimizing cargo space. I did that shit in EVE and made way too much cash. This excites me so much.

Are those the same thing as storage containers?

Yes

13ruce

Banned
https://www.twitter.com/Neo13ruce
For the freighter ship pics.

Damn the images won't work somehow well just visit my game twitter they are there.

I could not explore alot of the ship btw and the few parts i got into had nothing only that pillar like machine thing in one of the daylight shots could be interacted with but i did not have the required chip. I discovered the ship on a new save file directly it's like a mile or so from my ship.

Had to post em on my game twitter acc lol the usb did not work... Sorry for taking a while.

Edit: oh... Lol well just check my twitter profile the images were broken but they are there.

McNum

After the update, I need to relocate my base, but I've never done that before. What happens when I tear it down?

I know I get my rooms refunded in materials, but what about the storage containers? And I suppose my garden, too.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Aw they "fixed" being able to melee on your freighter. I loved boost dashing around it :p

This is all great so far though...
hmmm :/

the only time I built a scanner was in the first planet when the game "told me" to do it. Is that something I should be doing on every planet then?
It's honestly up to you what you do. I know that can be overwhelming ;)

Scanners help you find things. You mentioned inventory space which drop pods will help you expand, and scanners will help you find drop pods.

Why did I forget every alien word learned? Glutch? Also, how do I force 1080 mode on the pro?
Glitch yeah.

Hoping for a quick fix, I invested a ton of time into languages and had almost fully learned Korvax.

Change the display res in the PS4 graphics options (outside the game)
so AI ships help you take down pirates/fugitives now. Maybe old news, but I didn't see anyone mentioning it
This isn't new and was actually in at launch I believe, just highly dependent on the system you're in. Sometimes there's no or barely any assistance, sometimes there's so much that you can basically sit there and let the AI kill them and collect the loot.

Pirates/fugitives seem generally tougher to kill now though which is cool.
Awakenings is the new narrative stuff. If you have this mission you are good to go.

Dunno if you have one, if you have a freighter you can both build storage containers on it (as you'd be able to on a base) and directly store stuff in its own slots by talking to the captain.

Also holy shit at your struggle tho. I'm managing with just the 48 exosuit slots and an 18 slot ship, though the freighter is no doubt serving its purpose. I guess I like to run somewhat light and sell off tons whenever I find a profitable system.

Do you have a bunch of unnecessary tech installed in your Exosuit? Thermal/cold protection/advanced underwater breathing etc? You can consider dismantling it to regain the slots, then just reinstalling that tech if you need to spend time on a planet with those speciifc hazards

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I'm seeing a lot of positive impressions of the update, but I'm also seeing a lot of mentions of bugs. Exo skeleton and drop pod related?

Can someone clarify so I can avoid it?

Also, the lubricant farming loop has been broken?

Top Bottom