• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Atlas Rises |OT| Nada, Polo and you no longer fly solo

kiguel182

Started an home base on a lush planet. The framerate is super crappy when there are tons of animals around. I really hope Hello Games spends some time optimizing.

Spent a bunch of time exploring this planet and couldn’t even find all the 13 species! I have to increase my standing with the race of the system for the main quest but I can’t find anything else that will do it. I wonder if I change the system if the race I need changes or if I need to go to another system of the same race and come back. Kinda confusing but I guess doing a story quest in such a big open ended game has these types of challenges.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Is Survival frustrating or just the right amount of challenging?
Totally depends on what you're looking for. Normal is just the right amount of challenge for me. I consider NMS to be a relaxing game overall. But I hear that succeeding on Survival is very satisfying if you push through the rough early game.

edgefusion

How do I access the new storyline? Seek the path of the Atlas? Travel to the centre? Or strike out on my own? I'm not sure which choice will cut me off of story...

derFeef

Totally depends on what you're looking for. Normal is just the right amount of challenge for me. I consider NMS to be a relaxing game overall. But I hear that succeeding on Survival is very satisfying if you push through the rough early game.

I guess you are right, I want a relaxing exploration game.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Started an home base on a lush planet. The framerate is super crappy when there are tons of animals around. I really hope Hello Games spends some time optimizing.

Spent a bunch of time exploring this planet and couldn’t even find all the 13 species! I have to increase my standing with the race of the system for the main quest but I can’t find anything else that will do it. I wonder if I change the system if the race I need changes or if I need to go to another system of the same race and come back. Kinda confusing but I guess doing a story quest in such a big open ended game has these types of challenges.
Each system is "run" by one of the three races. So you could go to another system to raise your standing if it belonged to the same race. Edit: I just realized you already know this XD leaving it for others.

There are a bunch of ways to raise your standing though.

Off the top of my head, go to NPCs at outposts on planets (and in the space station you've probably already done that) and succeed at the interactions there, find Ruins, do quests from the space station NPC, fend off pirate attacks in their space... Probably more

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
How do I access the new storyline? Seek the path of the Atlas? Travel to the centre? Or strike out on my own? I'm not sure which choice will cut me off of story...
None cut you off from the new stuff, but seek the path of the atlas if you don't want to miss any of the narrative.

Edit: shit sorry. On mobile and thought I was editing

game kinda runs like hot booty for me now

i just reinstalled it after not playing since the launch, and my two 980s are struggling. apparently it doesnt support sli anymore?

ugh

Wow, I really lost myself in this game, I somehow managed to play until 4 in the morning!

Some questions:

1) Is there a way to identify "?" from the ship? The ships scanner doesn't seem to do a ton in terms of locating things to go to.

2) Can I find a ruin again after having left it? Before I really understood what they did, I left one behind on another planet. But it no longer shows up as "Ruin" on my way points, probably because I was there. But how could I find it again? Or that is just not going to happen?

Is Survival frustrating or just the right amount of challenging?

It seems just right to me, but I never played any other mode, or even the game at all, until yesterday. The only thing I'm not a huge fan of is needing so my Pu to lift off. I'm not sure what the exact design goal of that was. What I know is that it really makes me consider where I land, so I don't get to check out everything, I fly around to several different spots to see where the best one to land is, where offers the most opportunities to walk to after I land, and if I see any Pu deposits near the landing site. So landing for me in survival mode is a big deal... and I try as much as I can to harvest enough Pu to make up for the landing each time. Maybe that was their intent. Other than that I didn't find any of the other costs horrible, they seem just fine to me.. but again I have no frame of reference as I've never tried the "normal" mode.

Aenima

My beautiful home planet got turned into a trash heap. How do I take my entire base + vehicles and move them somewhere else?

When u start a new base in a new planet ur previous base will be deleted and u will get refunded some of the materials u used to build it. Not sure if the vehicles get deleted i think all u need to build i a new station to call them and they should be the same as u left them.

Unicorn

My beautiful home planet got turned into a trash heap. How do I take my entire base + vehicles and move them somewhere else?
Delete your plants or whatever you want full amount of, build containers and throw in there. That way when you rebuild elsewhere you'll have all those quantities when you rebuild the container.

kiguel182

Each system is "run" by one of the three races. So you could go to another system to raise your standing if it belonged to the same race. Edit: I just realized you already know this XD leaving it for others.

There are a bunch of ways to raise your standing though.

Off the top of my head, go to NPCs at outposts on planets (and in the space station you've probably already done that) and succeed at the interactions there, find Ruins, do quests from the space station NPC, fend off pirate attacks in their space... Probably more

The thing I’m not sure is if the alien race in the system I activate the quest is the one I need to raise the standing or if I change the system it changes to that race só complete the quest.

I failed half of my interactions it was terrible lol I’m also avoiding combat since I’m terrible at it and don’t want to lose my stuff but I might try to see if there are non combat missions to do next time I play.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Wow, I really lost myself in this game, I somehow managed to play until 4 in the morning!

Some questions:

1) Is there a way to identify "?" from the ship? The ships scanner doesn't seem to do a ton in terms of locating things to go to.
good question, I think more show up if you scan in-atmosphere while cruising over the surface.

But, and this is relevant to your second question, building signal scanners when you land can find lots of POIs.
2) Can I find a ruin again after having left it? Before I really understood what they did, I left one behind on another planet. But it no longer shows up as "Ruin" on my way points, probably because I was there. But how could I find it again? Or that is just not going to happen?
Use a signal scanner to find an observatory. Then go to it and solve the puzzle and it'll locate it for you.

In the later game, exocraft get an upgrade that can scan for them too.

Unicorn

What's the best way to make money in this game? I have yet to build a base since I haven't found a planet I like enough. Once I do that I assume I should be farming ?
B47B7A7DF9DBE8F42FF073E34F9C5C6CEBB1DA4A

Yo, okay. Here's the new money maker.

Luckily my old lubricant farm was easily transferable to a liquid explosive farm. Top floor of Mordite and lower floor of Spadonium (now cactus flesh) and the Mould spore stuff.

Craft Acid and unstable gel.

Guess it was worthwhile to jump through the base mission hoops again. Holy fuck.
Pretty much this now.

Arlen777

When u start a new base in a new planet ur previous base will be deleted and u will get refunded some of the materials u used to build it. Not sure if the vehicles get deleted i think all u need to build i a new station to call them and they should be the same as u left them.

What about the stuff thats in the storage containers, do we get refunded all of it or just some?

mokeyjoe

It seems just right to me, but I never played any other mode, or even the game at all, until yesterday. The only thing I'm not a huge fan of is needing so my Pu to lift off. I'm not sure what the exact design goal of that was. What I know is that it really makes me consider where I land, so I don't get to check out everything, I fly around to several different spots to see where the best one to land is, where offers the most opportunities to walk to after I land, and if I see any Pu deposits near the landing site. So landing for me in survival mode is a big deal... and I try as much as I can to harvest enough Pu to make up for the landing each time. Maybe that was their intent. Other than that I didn't find any of the other costs horrible, they seem just fine to me.. but again I have no frame of reference as I've never tried the "normal" mode.

I think you answered your own question there. Also it increases the chance of getting stranded on hostile planets. Some of my hairiest Survival escapades have resulted from me landing on planets without paying attention to my launch fuel.

I do think the annoyance has been alleviated a great deal in the last couple of updates. First with land vehicles, which make planetary exploration viable without needing to fall back on your ship. Also, whereas before you had to mine most of the Plutonium manually, which was a grind, now merchants sell 1000s of it, which means it's just a matter of keeping a bunch in stock and remembering to buy fuel when you're at a space station.

Hooooly shit guys I fixed the base quest glitch!

Someone in that linked reddit thread suggested that this glitch only appears when you move your base after patch 1.3.

So to fix it you have to rebuild your base on the same planet as before the patch

They started giving me quests again! Thank god.

Okay so pre-update 1.3 I had every base quest complete for the scientist, armory, and construction. I need to redo these again is I am understanding this all correct?

My home base is only 2 warps away, and is currently submerged under the ground. Would I be able to return to this system, claim a new base on the planet, then just bounce and look elsewhere to start a new base? I want to avoid the bug before I explore any further, so I want to go back and set things straight. I'm worried I'll lose all my stuff.

How the hell do you even make that much money? I'm struggling to even hit a couple mill at the moment.

You and me both friend. I would love to know how to start raking in some units. I'm 68 million down from the cheapest freighter available.

Something wrong with your PC. When it came out, I got to try it on my PC, at the time a 4690k at stock speed, a GTX 970 and 8gb RAM, and it ran flawlessly at medium/high settings.

Killing the Nvidia overlay helped, so it's not unplayable.

Now it's just varying wildly, depending on what I look at.
If i'm looking straight ahead, I'm usually at 20-30, but if I look up, I get 60.
Space hovers around the 40FPS mark.

For those that asked, 4k borderless, everything on low/off (including motion blur), i5 4670k, GTX1070, 16GB RAM.

They should really add some kind of help to find the last species on a planet. Give a ping when flying over it, give some hint if it is a flying creature, water, cave or land. Got three planets stuck with 1 last species to find now.

Meliora

I'm having a lot of fun with this update. I'm playing on PS4, started over again and haven't really had any major bugs.

I was interacting with a monolith and just as the camera goes into the set position for reading a text a random ship flew right by, like right on top of me. So the camera got stuck on the front of that ship and follow it into space. It wouldn't let me cancel or leave the monolith interaction so all I could do was close the game. I wonder how long I could have stayed on that ship though :p

Another bug (think it was bug? Maybe I missed something) I had just now was that I couldn't turn on my torchlight. It was just gone, and I had just found a really dark cave. It was so dark so I couldn't see without my torchlight, so that was a bit annoying. Next planet I landed on and it worked.

But other than that, things have been going smoothly! I'm enjoying the story a lot.

Okay so pre-update 1.3 I had every base quest complete for the scientist, armory, and construction. I need to redo these again is I am understanding this all correct?

My home base is only 2 warps away, and is currently submerged under the ground. Would I be able to return to this system, claim a new base on the planet, then just bounce and look elsewhere to start a new base? I want to avoid the bug before I explore any further, so I want to go back and set things straight. I'm worried I'll lose all my stuff.

It works like this for me:

Once I rebuild my base on the planet it was on before patch 1.3 I started to get quests again. And yes, you have to do them all a second time. Some of the quests are different now though. However, when I tried to rebuild the base in a different system (I wanted to do this because I thought I fixed the bug) the glitch appeared again (quests stopped). So as far I understand right now you have to keep you base on the same planet to avoid the glitch. Let's hope it is fixed soon.

Newlove

Hooooly shit guys I fixed the base quest glitch!

Someone in that linked reddit thread suggested that this glitch only appears when you move your base after patch 1.3.

So to fix it you have to rebuild your base on the same planet as before the patch

They started giving me quests again! Thank god.

Thanks so much for linking that thread Hawkian :-D

I only bought the game with the patch. This kind of worked in allowing me to progress except the armorer quest was on another base and god knows where I made that one lol. Will need to wait until they fix that. But everyone else is okay now.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
They should really add some kind of help to find the last species on a planet. Give a ping when flying over it, give some hint if it is a flying creature, water, cave or land. Got three planets stuck with 1 last species to find now.
The biggest Qol addition I want!

The planet I'm surveying now may be the first one I've ever give up on before 100%ing after setting out to do so.

I only bought the game with the patch. This kind of worked in allowing me to progress except the armorer quest was on another base and god knows where I made that one lol. Will need to wait until they fix that. But everyone else is okay now.

Yeah it looks like the quests don't migrate over to your new base when you claim a new one (in another system). Should be easy to fix.

G-Bus

Banned
For what ever reason I decided to start fresh considering how big this update is.

Can't remember what starting out was like when the game first launched but it feels a hell of a lot easier to fix your ship and get off the starting planet now.

Really like how much they have improved things.

Thank you Hello Games.

ParityBit

How do you know when you discovered all plants/animals and waypoints on a planet? I want to get everything on my starting planet before I move on in the game.

The biggest Qol addition I want!

The planet I'm surveying now may be the first one I've ever give up on before 100%ing after setting out to do so.
I would even go for some kind of system to lure an animal. Built a trap or something, so you need to invest some resources into it and don't get it for free. Or improved visors that will extend the range of the red dots showing, that sort of thing. Finding creatures is one of the main things in the game, so they need to make it a bit more fun and give a few more possibilities with it.

How do you know when you discovered all plants/animals and waypoints on a planet? I want to get everything on my starting planet before I move on in the game.
You can't. Doesn't matter really anyway, only finding all the species will give you a bonus.

13ruce

Banned
I think you answered your own question there. Also it increases the chance of getting stranded on hostile planets. Some of my hairiest Survival escapades have resulted from me landing on planets without paying attention to my launch fuel.

I do think the annoyance has been alleviated a great deal in the last couple of updates. First with land vehicles, which make planetary exploration viable without needing to fall back on your ship. Also, whereas before you had to mine most of the Plutonium manually, which was a grind, now merchants sell 1000s of it, which means it's just a matter of keeping a bunch in stock and remembering to buy fuel when you're at a space station.

This is why i still stick to survival now i am just gonna buy a ton of Plutonium on that central space spation in each star system i visit from time to time and never have to care about that again.

Normal is imo a bit too easy at times.

Vexidus

I really want to jump into this game again. I was around 30 hours in when I quit, halfway through Atlas quest and things. Haven't played since launch.

Should I continue where I left off or start fresh?

So I just got anti matter to fuel my hyperdrive and farming for Te. I added the anti matter to my hyperdrive and it's now telling I need to do it again? Is this a glitch? I'm super early in the game, which means I need to find anti matter again --- don't think that's easy.

It works like this for me:

Once I rebuild my base on the planet it was on before patch 1.3 I started to get quests again. And yes, you have to do them all a second time. Some of the quests are different now though. However, when I tried to rebuild the base in a different system (I wanted to do this because I thought I fixed the bug) the glitch appeared again (quests stopped). So as far I understand right now you have to keep you base on the same planet to avoid the glitch. Let's hope it is fixed soon.

That's unfortunate, hopefully this can be fixed in the next patch. I'm sure HG has their hands full patching all sorts of things right now. Luckily, there's still so much to keep me busy in the meantime. I'll just rebuild my base on the original planet so I can get a head start on the base quests. Were you able to get all of your structures/employees/materials/etc back when you rebuilt your base?

So I just got anti matter to fuel my hyperdrive and farming for Te. I added the anti matter to my hyperdrive and it's now telling I need to do it again? Is this a glitch? I'm super early in the game, which means I need to find anti matter again --- don't think that's easy.
You made a warp cell for the first time with it? After that you should get the mission to warp to a new system. When arriving you'd get a message about a signal. You do a scan and it then points towards a place on the planet. There you can talk to some dude and get the blueprint to make your own antimatter.

Uh, bug for infinite mining?

If you mine something and change to the terrain manipulator and hit undo, it will put everything back for you to mine again. Just did it accidentally on heridium.

That's unfortunate, hopefully this can be fixed in the next patch. I'm sure HG has their hands full patching all sorts of things right now. Luckily, there's still so much to keep me busy in the meantime. I'll just rebuild my base on the original planet so I can get a head start on the base quests. Were you able to get all of your structures/employees/materials/etc back when you rebuilt your base?

You have to re-hire everyone and not all materials are returned to you (you almost get no glass back for instance). But it didn't take me too long to get back to where I was. The re-hiring can be a hassle because you have to recruit certain people in certain systems.

You made a warp cell for the first time with it? After that you should get the mission to warp to a new system. When arriving you'd get a message about a signal. You do a scan and it then points towards a place on the planet. There you can talk to some dude and get the blueprint to make your own antimatter.

Yeah this didn't happen after I made a warp cell. I'm fucked.

SomTervo

How the hell do you even make that much money? I'm struggling to even hit a couple mill at the moment.

Making bank seems to be tied to base building.

You need to be able to farm (literally) basically.

I really want to jump into this game again. I was around 30 hours in when I quit, halfway through Atlas quest and things. Haven't played since launch.

Should I continue where I left off or start fresh?

Start fresh. I was about in exactly the same boat and starting fresh was great.

Reszo

So im guessing attacker ships will always have a low amount inventory slots? They all look cool and I want one but they are only coming with 15-19 slots

Top Bottom