• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Atlas Rises |OT| Nada, Polo and you no longer fly solo

theWB27

Since we're showing off ships : )...and also the last 5 or so planets I've landed on have all had broken terrain. You could fall into caves (open caves too) everywhere. This planet is the same way except it's the first to have the breaks filled with water. It's awesome.
h5aXbb0.jpg

This is as close to a mountain as I've seen so far. Save for falling into the breaks in the terrain it was a good ten second hike which isn't bad.

OuterLimits

Trading system is definitely different since 1.3. Sold a bunch of emeril at a space station and the prices plummeted. Making it not worthwhile to sell anymore of that there. Lol

BTW... Did you always lose constant life support on airless planets before?

With 1.3, my 'home planet' (moon) got turned from a "Hissing Wastes" to a "Airless Moon." So, a 'dead planet.' No flora or fauna. Separately, I noticed my Life Support had been acting weird and depleting all the time whenever I was at home.

Just realized... it's because the planet has no oxygen... So, even when I'm inside my base, my life support continues to deplete :p

Was it always like that? I do know I almost never spent time on airless planets before.

E92 M3

The new item that sells for 1 million a piece is called Liquid Explosive. You need to hire a scientist and do the new base quests to learn the new recipes.

After that all u need is to plant 3 diferent typed of plants and wipe ur bottom to space units. The materials needed to craft Liquid explosive is Fungal Mold, Cactus Flesh, and Mordite. It requires alot of Fungal mold so ur farm need to be mainly a Funglad Mold farm.

Not my image, but hers a screen of the item:

B47B7A7DF9DBE8F42FF073E34F9C5C6CEBB1DA4A

Thanks, that's quite a grind.

--

Anyone find a planet with thick forests yet?

13ruce

Banned
Do some resources/animals respawn after a while in No Mans Sky or not?

Playing on survival btw but i just wanna know in general if it does.

Trading system is definitely different since 1.3. Sold a bunch of emeril at a space station and the prices plummeted. Making it not worthwhile to sell anymore of that there. Lol

I went to the (soon to be obsolete) Galactic Hub capital (Lennon) to buy the Economy scanner from the blueprint trader. I'm playing around with a lot of the surrounding systems to try and understand how the new economy works. While the mechanics are still a bit lost on me, the range of prices from system to system can vary to an absolute insane amount.

I have a feeling that if you have a specific farm setup and manage to find a system which buys your product at a great percentage, you can absolutely get millions,if not tens of millions per hour. But the fact that no one has (as of yet) written an economy guide means we will be testing the waters for a while.

EDIT: Also, if a mission reward is "Hot ice", be absolutely sure to grab it. It goes for great prices. I got 4 of them.

Still trying to catch up with this thread. Does anyone know what galaxy we start in? There's no mention now of where we are. Has it just gone to one galaxy?

Also, I noticed something quite fantastic. If you dock with a beacon (and presumably a landing pad), your life support is refilled. So you get free fuel, hazard protection and life support...if you want to stay in the same area.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
This might be a stupid question, but what's the point of manually saving? The game saves automatically whenever you exit your ship and such anyway, right?

Oh god, I've been digging out a humongous deposit of aluminum in the ground and when I scanned it, the walls of the hole disappeared and I could see under the world where all the caves are.

It also sort of deleted the floor of the hole and now there is a ton of aluminum that wasn't there before. Weird glitch 0.o

So I really want to enjoy the game, but my time is so limited and I feel like I'll never get to experience the new update fully due to time constraints. I played about 50 hours during launch and then shelved it until further updates came out, just started playing again for the first time with Atlas Rises.

I hate to be that guy to ask... but are trainers that give units save to use? I want a freighter and to build a nice base while following the story... but I feel like it's impossible for me to achieve with the limited time I have to dedicate to this game.

Do Creative mode. You can build freely and steal any freighter you want.

E92 M3

I wish they could add a heavy cloud layer to the upper atmosphere of planets. I want to fly through them before seeing the land.

Can anyone confirm that the guild quests now progress? I'm curious to see if the higher level missions actually get more challenging/interesting. I know that the mercenaries guild at least gets some pirate hunting missions with way better rewards.

SZips

Is there a way to accept multiple quests at once from the NPCs on the space stations?

It's a bit annoying having to re-"activate" the NPC, then say you want to browse their missions, then select the next mission you want to accept.

If not, I really hope one of their future patches addresses some of these "quality of life" types of things throughout the game.

akileese

Am I crazy or did some music from 65daysofstatic not originally from NMS (Like, some of their older tracks) get added to the game? I was playing until 3am last night and I could've swore I heard Heat Infinity Death Splitter.

wwm0nkey

Am I crazy or did some music from 65daysofstatic not originally from NMS (Like, some of their older tracks) get added to the game? I was playing until 3am last night and I could've swore I heard Heat Infinity Death Splitter.

Yeah they added more music from them

akileese

Yeah they added more music from them

I know they added new soundscapes, but I didn't read anything about back catalog tracks getting added which is why I was confused. It was quite literally the middle of the night though and I may have been imagining it.

Oh wow, so I maxed out the new suit upgrades, it's actually 12 tech slots and 25(!) cargo slots (which can store 500 units of cargo, just like your ship). The cargo slots alone must've cost me like 7+ million in total but I was lucky to have some money from before.

One thing to note is that you can't sell anything from your expanded Exosuit cargo slots (not sure if it's a bug or intended), so you have to transfer bit by bit to your ship, trade, exit, transfer, trade etc. which isn't optimal because I believe the sale price goes down on each trade interaction. Maybe they'll add a third option during trading, "sell from expanded cargo slots" or something like that. It's kinda cumbersome either way, because you can't directly transfer from the regular inventory to the expanded slots, you need to transfer from normal inventory to the ship, then from the ship to the expanded slots (or rather, select an empty expanded slot with X on PC (keyboard) and choose the item you wish to transfer from your ship).

Anyway, this inventory expansion is a welcome addition, although I think it's more like patching up the mechanics that don't work well anyway. Lots of inventory fiddling for something they could fix more easily by drastically expanding inventory space per slot.

While grinding for the drop pods, I also built a new rudimentary base on a toxic planet, picked up and planted 50 (for now) Fungal Clusters (for Fungal Mould) right outside my base, so this way I don't need to build and constantly fuel up hydroponics trays. I also have a hot planet in my system so I can jump there and harvest Cactus Flesh while the Fungal Clusters are growing (takes them 30 mins to grow). Hopefully I'll start crafting and selling those Liquid Explosives for big cash.

Honestly though, since this game came out, the only way I've made the grind and making money bearable was by exploiting the game and doing the single optimal farming tricks, and I've still not been able to buy a single new ship that I liked, just the one freighter I managed to snatch for cheap.

No Man's Sky is still a game in continuous development, with issues and bugs spanning from back on its release, so I really don't understand why they're adamant on making things even more tedious and grindy. I think the game would benefit tremendously from giving drastically higher rewards for scanning, trading, combat and missions, or just balance the prices in such a way that you can at the very least buy and sell ships much more frequently.

Just the fact that I grinded for the new expanded Exosuit cargo slots and didn't feel like grinding at all is I think a good indicator that if the rewards are high enough, everyone will feel much better about playing this game. I'd much rather be less frustrated and more encouraged to swap ships frequently, buy the ones I like aesthetically, own maybe 4-5 of them even, than just not buying any ever. Say the prices for ships and freighters stay as they are, I'd then love to get tens of thousands of credits per scanned fauna and flora, if not more, earn hundreds of thousands of credits per trading run and something in that ballpark for missions as well (although there are some missions that can earn you 100-200k which is decent).

I really don't think people that stuck with this game for a year will abandon it if HG make it somewhat easier, more fun and less frustrating. For one, I would play it much more frequently than just when a big update hits.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I entered a new system. There was a freighter fighting some pirates. I tried to help. A freighter transported to the exact point were I was placed. I got crushed to death.

*sigh*

Minamu

Real talk: does putting like upgrades and technology next to eachother make ENOUGH of a difference that I should be going through the hassle?
Eh, not really I think. It's a very small incremental percentage increase. I doubt one would barely notice. But it's not that hard to fix in the inventory either so there's barely a reason not to do it imo. It's basically free.

Hell ya! I just got the same ship class B, I wanted the A but my trade in would have still left 20 million owing haha. It's awesome, 31 slots yet still a fighter.
Mine's a B, too. I found it crashed though haha and I still put most of my money into inventory/my hauler/saving up for a new freighter haha so it's only valued at like 5 million because I've repaired only a few slots on it :p Mostly just the bare minimum as a hauler alternative so I can use it to explore or fight pirates hehe.

The ๖ۜBronx;246330204 said:
No and I wouldn't expect that to change. It would make the distances between planets far greater and more tedious to navigate around than it is now. It would also significantly reduce the amount of planets you see in the sky (reducing it down to just moons) which is a core tenet they we're going for. That is unless they orbited in a cluster which would make the whole thing redundant.

I would gladly, gladly give up having three planets in every sky if I could see moons orbiting their planets, or fly past a star to get to a planet on the other side. This sense of a living universe is what originally sold me on the game. Not that I need some OCD, super-realistic space sim, just that everything feels like it's doing its own thing in the universe, whether that's a NPC or a planet orbiting its star.

Some easy fixes to make it happen: increase speed of pulse boost, perhaps increasing over distance so short-distance jumps don't change. Give planets more moons, some of them bigger. Not so easy fix, especially for HG: make the positions of planets understandable and targetable for players. I think the easiest solution is a top-down view of the system that lets people easy select any planet as a pulse boost autopilot target.

Thing is, the new 1.3 update increased prices significantly. So assuming it was intended, there's clear opposite intention for Freighters to be even more difficult to acquire.

Mine cost just 11 million in v1.2 but now it's worth 55 million, meaning it would probably cost me 60-65 million now.

The most expensive ones are still in the 100-200 million range though, so they didn't increase by the same percentage amount but closer to the same fixed amount.

The price increases for the bottom end do seem deliberate. I wouldn't mind that much except that the only way to own multiple ships is by owning a freighter. If you could accomplish the same thing with multiple base landing pads I probably wouldn't care as much.

The only reason I can think why they increased the minimum price of the freighters is that they plan to expand the benefits you get from one in the future. For instance, if I could hire NPCs to fly trading routes for me, or help out in space battles, or if you could even join a faction and take on fleet battle missions, that would make the price start to be worth it.

The ๖ۜBronx;246337370 said:
How would people feel about a class of ship between the current one and the freighter? I'm not sure what the additional significance beyond being cheaper and offering a medium cargo solution but I'm sure it could have some interesting mechanic as well with enough thought.

Yeah I've thought about that too. They already have medium-sized freighters that fly with the big ones, but none of those have hangar bays so I don't know how you'd even board one other than a teleporter. If they had a smaller freighter that had maybe 4 landing pads and moderate cargo space, that'd be a great compromise.

edgefusion

Since the 1.32 update my hydroponic trays have been running out of charge within 15 minutes. :/ Can't even grow one crop of Fungal Mold before they're flat and have to be charged again.

Oh, and while fighting some pirates last night I noticed that your shields get replenished after destroying a ship. It feels a bit like easy mode, but I guess I'm not going to complain about free shield recharging.

The new ship AI tactics really make dogfighting more fun now. Still getting used to the twitchy controls on the DS4 though.

Err... forgetting the early marketing bs, is this game becoming worth the monies it goes by?

I think the 87 page thread after 6 days speaks for itself. They've been going a long ways on the road to redemption. I personally always liked the game, and all these changes have renewed my fervor for playing 1 year and 150+ hrs of gameplay later.

BouncyFrag

Yeah Im having the same problem, doesn't matter where I land by ship I get out and fall through the ground and can not get back up:
QOzY4AK.jpg

Can see it happening here. Make sure you report the issue to the devs here
That exact same thing happened to me. I hit the landing button a bit too close to my base and everything got messed up when I landed in a structure. I land a bit further from my base and it hasn't happened since.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I would gladly, gladly give up having three planets in every sky if I could see moons orbiting their planets, or fly past a star to get to a planet on the other side. This sense of a living universe is what originally sold me on the game. Not that I need some OCD, super-realistic space sim, just that everything feels like it's doing its own thing in the universe, whether that's a NPC or a planet orbiting its star.

Some easy fixes to make it happen: increase speed of pulse boost, perhaps increasing over distance so short-distance jumps don't change. Give planets more moons, some of them bigger. Not so easy fix, especially for HG: make the positions of planets understandable and targetable for players. I think the easiest solution is a top-down view of the system that lets people easy select any planet as a pulse boost autopilot target.

While I agree this would be cool, it would also cause all kinds of complications with MP. All this stuff would have to be synced for all players in the system. Currently there isn't even planet rotation, so saying where a player is is as simple as an XYZ coordinate.

Ravidrath

Fixed an issue that allowed players to miss Atlas Stations, which prevented progress. This will prevent new occurrences of the issue, a fix for those who’ve already experienced it is under investigation

Fixed an issue that prevents some players from progressing when sent to an Atlas station as part of the story

While I'm glad to see that they seem to have fixed what was affecting me, I'm also now pretty sure I need to wait for another patch to fix my issue.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
While I agree this would be cool, it would also cause all kinds of complications with MP. All this stuff would have to be synced for all players in the system. Currently there isn't even planet rotation, so saying where a player is is as simple as an XYZ coordinate.
Yeah I don't ever expect to see planets orbiting because I have no idea how servers would handle that, but I would like to see planet rotation to get rid of the current odd set up where sun is orbiting around the planets.

ParityBit

So how do you know what to sell? I all my slots are full, probably of worthless crap and I am constantly fighting inventory issues. I have a couple of artifact things, do I keep those (Like the daggers)?

So confused.

Multiplayer co-op would add a wrinkle I agree, but one person in the co-op bubble could broadcast the state of their system and the other players could sync to that. As far as I've been able to glean from the tech talks, NMS systems operate like pure path functions (or functional programming) where you input a time delta and get back the current state of the system. So it could (but probably not) be as simple as passing the leader's time offset to other players. But yeah, that's definitely a trickier problem to solve, as are most things concerning MP.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
It's kinda cumbersome either way, because you can't directly transfer from the regular inventory to the expanded slots, you need to transfer from normal inventory to the ship, then from the ship to the expanded slots (or rather, select an empty expanded slot with X on PC (keyboard) and choose the item you wish to transfer from your ship).
You can move stuff to the cargo slots using the move/stack function, at least on PS4. Pick the item, then click on the cargo slot section, and deposit there. Still not ideal, but yeah.

The game really needs an auto-stack function. Like if I'm using cargo slots for some of the basic minerals you constantly use, if a stack there is unfilled, picking up more of that mineral should automatically deposit that mineral into that slot until it's filled.

edgefusion

I FINALLY FOUND OUT how to solve it.
Go back to the system they sent you. The reason why the waypoint goes to nowhere is because it's way too far.

I don't know what you mean, what system? The one it dumps you in after the portal? I have no idea where that is now. It's not in my list of teleported stations anymore.

Top Bottom