• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Atlas Rises |OT| Nada, Polo and you no longer fly solo

what on earth do i need to do to get this game to run at a solid 60fps on PC? i lowered settings to high and turned down the AA but still get huge drops. my PC is well beyond the specs (6700k/16gb/1070).
Disable the game v-sync if you already haven't, it causes bad fps drops for some reason

Bruh...

This game is gorgeous. Was it always like this?
It always looked nice, but 1.3 Atlas Rises took it to another level

edgefusion

Fell through the floor at my base again. Had the foresight to dump everything into my ship inventory this time. >.> VERY annoying.

The Galaxy Map is straight trash. I spent an hour thinking I missed some requirement to make the first jump because the "closest" system had some kind of anomaly preventing warp. Eventually I just get pressing Next and found one. I still have no idea how to navigate using that thing. The button prompts don't seem to match up either. It's just awful.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
No, I don't. Should I get one? To be honest, I had started my game back when the Pathfinder update was released. I played a bit, moved a couple of systems forward, and then dropped the game when other stuff started to come out. When I came back to the game with this update, the main quest was a few systems behind, so I didn't even bother with it. I can now go back to my starting point and pick it up again. Why is the Atlas Pass v1 so important?
Looks like you got one so that's great.

The AtlasPass v1 can unlock the red cylindrical canisters on the ground near almost every outpost on planets. These have hyperdrive-related components in them up to and including, though rare, Warp Cells outright (so, anything from Suspension Fluid to Warp Cell). Hitting them up as you make your way around the surface collecting Thamium will cut down considerably on the total amount of work you need to do for your current goal.

edit: Ah, but yes, captains in Freighters are always worth checking out.

Cess007

Oh. I'll check out some freighters then!

Well, I went back to where the main quest was and got myself a v1 Pass. I'll see what it unlocks for me ;)

Tell me later if it still works in the Space Stations to get to the Exo-upgrades. Somehow, I'm finding harder to find the Upgrade Pods in the planets this time (I've only found 2, and I remember finding those easier around launch)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The Galaxy Map is straight trash. I spent an hour thinking I missed some requirement to make the first jump because the "closest" system had some kind of anomaly preventing warp. Eventually I just get pressing Next and found one. I still have no idea how to navigate using that thing. The button prompts don't seem to match up either. It's just awful.

Look at section 3 under Interstellar in this post: http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=246152330&postcount=3203

Mr Git

I don't seem to have the blueprints for the automated mining unit and atmosphere collectors - I swear someone (maybe the scientist?) mentioned them but I haven't seen them since. I've now got to the point where the scientist ignores me after giving them a convergence cube. Do I need to progress the exocraft missions? I haven't really bothered with that one as I built all the craft before the update and the current quest seems bugged.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I don't seem to have the blueprints for the automated mining unit and atmosphere collectors - I swear someone (maybe the scientist?) mentioned them but I haven't seen them since. I've now got to the point where the scientist ignores me after giving them a convergence cube. Do I need to progress the exocraft missions? I haven't really bothered with that one as I built all the craft before the update and the current quest seems bugged.
You most likely do have to progress the exocraft missions. Though if you do have a mission for the scientist or anyone else in your log, try selecting that?

Mr Git

You most likely do have to progress the exocraft missions. Though if you do have a mission for the scientist or anyone else in your log, try selecting that?

There's no scientist missions left - I actually just checked the wiki as hadn't thinking it wouldn't have been updated and apparently the cube was the last quest and I should have got the blueprints after I built the beacon? Weird and annoying. I'll try progressing with the exocraft ones later. When you have to cheese it to the beacon do you have to use the roamer? I've been using the faster exocraft but when I get to the signal there's nothing there and it points me back to the technician. :/

So jumped back in and I went to another Atlas thing... it doesn't give stones anymore I see. I have 3 so far is there anything to do with these anymore? Do I still need to collect 10 for the end of the path?

Fredrik

Just got my first plant harvested after starting over. Farming is a lot more difficult now! The trays need fuel, growth times are longer, you need far bigger amount of some ingredients. Making money is even harder now than before and I think it was bad enough before this update.

So uhm, the story TL;DR?
There's too many text, sometimes I just skip them.

200_s.gif

Forget the hyperdrive, how does anyone have a billion credits? Surely this must be a cheat? Also, that S-class freighter looks great, I've never seen one like that. Looks like 2001's Discovery One ship.

Joey Ravn

Banned

The AtlasPass v1 can unlock the red cylindrical canisters on the ground near almost every outpost on planets. These have hyperdrive-related components in them up to and including, though rare, Warp Cells outright (so, anything from Suspension Fluid to Warp Cell). Hitting them up as you make your way around the surface collecting Thamium will cut down considerably on the total amount of work you need to do for your current goal.

Now I'm making a lot of Th9 in freighters! Traders have around 120-150 units, and around 5 or 6 come into the freighter before they stop spawning. When I'm done, I go out, hit a few Th9 containers and move to the next system :)

Edit: ... and Platinum! :D

Just got my first plant harvested after starting over. Farming is a lot more difficult now! The trays need fuel, growth times are longer, you need far bigger amount of some ingredients. Making money is even harder now than before and I think it was bad enough before this update.

Build domes. No fuel for those. I have 7 set up to grow the stuff for living glass. Clearing almost 5 mil per crop. Takes around 20 mins for it all to grow back.

Lom1lo

Inventory management is just trash -.- cant transfer from my normal suit slot in cargo slots, cant transfer from vehicle in suit etc. its a nightmare

Minamu

No, I don't. Should I get one? To be honest, I had started my game back when the Pathfinder update was released. I played a bit, moved a couple of systems forward, and then dropped the game when other stuff started to come out. When I came back to the game with this update, the main quest was a few systems behind, so I didn't even bother with it. I can now go back to my starting point and pick it up again. Why is the Atlas Pass v1 so important?
Omg you need a v1 asap. Someone might've explained it but v1 lets you unlock the big red tubes out in nature and at trading stations. They contain FREE antimatter, suspension fluids and vapor at random. No need for Thamium to the same extent if you abuse that.

Inventory management is just trash -.- cant transfer from my normal suit slot in cargo slots, cant transfer from vehicle in suit etc. its a nightmare

You can actually transfer from normal slots to the new cargo slots, select an item from a normal slot, select the cargo icon to switch to the cargo slots, select an empty slot and it'll place it there. Not ideal, but it's there. Spent a lot of time transferring from general slots to ship, then from ship to exosuit cargo, until someone here pointed it out to me.

But yeah, inventory management is very finicky and frustrating.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Now I'm making a lot of Th9 in freighters! Traders have around 120-150 units, and around 5 or 6 come into the freighter before they stop spawning. When I'm done, I go out, hit a few Th9 containers and move to the next system :)
SWeet! Do hit up those canisters on planets from time to time- will save you some time and cash :)
You can actually transfer from normal slots to the new cargo slots, select an item from a normal slot, select the cargo icon to switch to the cargo slots, select an empty slot and it'll place it there. Not ideal, but it's there. Spent a lot of time transferring from general slots to ship, then from ship to exosuit cargo, until someone here pointed it out to me.

You can also press triangle on an empty slot (i.e. a Cargo slot) and choose what to transfer.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Now that you have best level multi-tool.

Consider checking this out.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=213666642&postcount=17538
Is there an option to rearrange all my multi-tool technologies? I don't think that i've blueprints for any of the standard technology yet just so that i could dismantle them and do the same as you. Maybe I can buy them somewhere?

I don't like how my multi-tool looks though (looks like crap) and I hope I'll find better one soon. Yours looks much better and like rail gun mixed with assault rifle, i like it a lot.

So I ended up getting an Atlaspass from using the uh, the 'upload a sector' beacon. It doesn't show up in your inventory and you can't craft it, right? You just *have* it?

ilifin

Neo Member
Anyone on PC know how to deal with the circular waypoint things that keep getting stuck everywhere on a planet's surface after I've visited a point of interest?

These things:
zYQywH8.jpg

I really, really want these things gone.

Lom1lo

wow thank you !

Minamu

So I ended up getting an Atlaspass from using the uh, the 'upload a sector' beacon. It doesn't show up in your inventory and you can't craft it, right? You just *have* it?
You need to craft it, that's how it used to be at least. It's also a bit weird, v3 can open v3 and v2 doors, but not v1 I believe, while v2 can only open v2 doors but not v1 boxes. For some reason. V1 is the only truly worthwhile one though right now.

You need to craft it, that's how it used to be at least. It's also a bit weird, v3 can open v3 and v2 doors, but not v1 I believe, while v2 can only open v2 doors but not v1 boxes. For some reason. V1 is the only truly worthwhile one though right now.

weird. I'm sure I got it, but I can't craft it.

The game lied to me :(

SWeet! Do hit up those canisters on planets from time to time- will save you some time and cash :)

You can also press triangle on an empty slot (i.e. a Cargo slot) and choose what to transfer.

But as far as I know, you can't choose exactly where you're transferring to or from. If you press triangle (I'm assuming that's X on PC) on an empty cargo slot, you can only transfer items from your ship to your cargo slot, you can't transfer from the general inventory slots to a cargo slot with that procedure. Same way for the general slots, transfer from ship, or the ship slots, only transfer from general slots.

And you're checking the craft menu in your main exosuit inventory, and have flipped through all pages in there?

It's not there. Huh, I must've either reloaded a save, or it was just a false positive when I saw the atlas pass thingy pop up. I could've sworn I got it from mapping out a sector/clicking on the beacon thingy.

But as far as I know, you can't choose exactly where you're transferring to or from. If you press triangle (I'm assuming that's X on PC) on an empty cargo slot, you can only transfer items from your ship to your cargo slot, you can't transfer from the general inventory slots to a cargo slot with that procedure. Same way for the general slots, transfer from ship, or the ship slots, only transfer from general slots.

Ya exactly, I haven't found a way to do it either, and it's annoying not being able to add things to it unless you are in ship range

Bruh...

This game is gorgeous. Was it always like this?

It always looked nice, but 1.3 Atlas Rises took it to another level

My Atlas_Rises picture folder is already bigger than all of my other NMS picture folders. (I have 3 other NMS picture folders which coincide with the previous updates). So yeah, this patch definitely improved some things.

Also unfortunately I can't tell what's using PC, PS4, PS4 Pro, or mods unless it's really obvious or I just remember from the post, so that's a downside to my picture collecting method. There are just too many to keep track of.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
oh you're right, sorry.

You can transfer to ship, then hit Triangle on a cargo slot (I dunno, i use a 360 controller so it's Y), you can pull it from your ship.

This is useful because you can "stack" materials by transferring to ship, then to cargo

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ya exactly, I haven't found a way to do it either, and it's annoying not being able to add things to it unless you are in ship range
well. you can do that in the original way he specified.

edit: damnit sorry

I want to do this, do you have a guide or something?

start growing frostwort, gamma weed & coprite. That'll let you make the glass and living glass to build your 1st dome. Build the dome on top of another room and get in with a ladder so you dont waste any space with doors. Then in each dome plant 5 frostwort, 8 gamma weed and 2 corpite plus whatever you want in the last spot. 1 dome per living glass and 1 extra glass from the frostwort to help you expand as it grows 2 times as fast as the rest.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Anyone on PC know how to deal with the circular waypoint things that keep getting stuck everywhere on a planet's surface after I've visited a point of interest?

These things:
zYQywH8.jpg

just a bug, sorry :( I don't like them either.

These things:
zYQywH8.jpg

Just in case you don't know, those show up if you "scan" buildings. It's very, very easy to do accidentally.

The only way to get them to go away is to restart/reload unfortunately.

oh you're right, sorry.

You can transfer to ship, then hit Triangle on a cargo slot (I dunno, i use a 360 controller so it's Y), you can pull it from your ship.

This is useful because you can "stack" materials by transferring to ship, then to cargo

Yeah, I mean, I'm used to the inventory management at this point, but the ideal scenario would probably be to have a button that switches where you want to transfer it to/from. So you press Y/Triangle and then maybe LB/RB (disable the sections swapping while a slot is selected) to swap between sources/destinations. This should solve being able to easily transfer from/to the freighter, vehicles or the containers as well, but that's a whole other point.

I think at some point they'll have to revamp the inventory system because they keep adding new cargo sources and it's all getting a bit out of hand.

BTW, regarding farming and making good money, I followed this procedure but planted double the Fungal Mould. Chasing around for cacti can be a bit tiresome at times but I'm also doing missions and messing around in the galaxy in general, and every half an hour or so I make 10 Liquid Explosives and get 10 mil. I'm not really playing optimally or anything but I'm at about 75 million credits right now which is more than I've ever had in this game. The prices for ships and freighters are still pretty high but I'd be content to be able to buy one of those new exotic ships (as a second ship) so I guess I'll keep grinding a bit while I do missions etc.

oh you're right, sorry.

Unless you have a 19-slot fighter which is almost completely taken up by tech upgrades. Then not so useful. :/

I think at some point they'll have to revamp the inventory system because they keep adding new cargo sources and it's all getting a bit out of hand.

Yeah, they really should've revamped the inventory system when they added exocrafts, but definitely when they added multiple cargo sub-destinations. Adding more stuff onto a bad foundation has only made the system worse.

Yeah, I mean, I'm used to the inventory management at this point, but the ideal scenario would probably be to have a button that switches where you want to transfer it to/from. So you press Y/Triangle and then maybe LB/RB (disable the sections swapping while a slot is selected) to swap between sources/destinations. This should solve being able to easily transfer from/to the freighter, vehicles or the containers as well, but that's a whole other point.

Yeah, they need to revamp the inventory system asap. Moving things around is extremely annoying, you don't even have the option to move stuff from your exocraft directly into your exosuit (unless I just didn't figure it out yet). I've tried the triangle method but it doesn't show all items from all inventories.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah, HG totally should prioritize inventory stuff for the next QoL update.

The planet I'm surveying now is such a total shithole. Constant toxic storms, ugly and and just bleh. Starting to think there's not a drop of water on the surface of anything in this system. Some interesting wildlife but I already have the fauna fully scanned, and it's not resource-rich enough to justify the extreme hazards in the first place. Met a local Korvax who pointed me toward a trading post off-planet as if to say "yeah, this isn't really a place you want to be." Don't think I'll ever be returning to this rock, lol.

Minamu

start growing frostwort, gamma weed & coprite. That'll let you make the glass and living glass to build your 1st dome. Build the dome on top of another room and get in with a ladder so you dont waste any space with doors. Then in each dome plant 5 frostwort, 8 gamma weed and 2 corpite plus whatever you want in the last spot. 1 dome per living glass and 1 extra glass from the frostwort to help you expand as it grows 2 times as fast as the rest.
And you grow what in there to get money? The liquid explosive stuff or something else?

Edit: Guys, aren't they kinda revamping the inventory controls in the new experimental patch? It said something about new control binds for switching between the new inventories? Of course, the switching is the least concern imo considering the poor foundation (move all tech to different inventory automatically for starters).

Top Bottom