• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky E3 trailers

Blimblim

The Inside Track
are there any NA mirrors for the HQ MP4?

gamersyde's only got EU servers it seems and it says it's going to take 4 hours...
We do not have the HQ version of this (yet hopefully), so it's not really interesting to download the off-screen version I'd say. Still, if you really want it, just use the torrent as it works really well :)

E92 M3

Yeah looks great but what is the actual point of this game? If it had something like an Elite, smuggling/dealing in goods type aspect than I think it could be awesome. BUT if it's just a case of fly here, have a look about, then I think after the first 10 planets I might be switching it off.

Exploration and adventure just like Minecraft (for me).

cHinzo

The important question is: is there any fun thing to do in that infinite universe or do you just fly from one planet to another. Can see that getting old really fast.

I hope there will be a multiplayer mod if they decide to make it singleplayer only game. Discovering a huge universe with multiple players is more fun than alone imo.

I just hope there will be a lot of upgrades for your ship and suit to make finding new materials more exciting. This way, there is at least a goal to reach.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Yeah looks great but what is the actual point of this game? If it had something like an Elite, smuggling/dealing in goods type aspect than I think it could be awesome. BUT if it's just a case of fly here, have a look about, then I think after the first 10 planets I might be switching it off.
Perhaps the about page for the game could help you. It's not long, very easy to read.

funkypie

Banned
The important question is: is there any fun thing to do in that infinite universe or do you just fly from one planet to another. Can see that getting old really fast.

the concept and the game itself looked amazing, however I agree. Did not see anything that looked fun and the shooting part of the ship looked abit shit.

I do worry a bit about how interesting these procedurally generated worlds will be though. Will there actually be interesting things to do in them, or is this game just about exploring?

Yeah, I mean, the worlds themselves don't concern me much, the scenery looks amazing already, and what they've shown seems quite varied. This is some amazing worldbuilding at work here, with caves and mountains and valleys and wildlife everywhere.

I'm concerned about the over-arching structure of the game being implemented as well, how deep will be the cataloging and the combat (which doesn't seem like much of anything right now), and how challenging it will be especially. It would be a shame for all of this to end up attached to a game that's simplistic with either draconian and undercooked rules or no real challenge at all. In order to get the right atmosphere and a sense of adventure for this, you need that perfect balance of a sense of danger and preparedness. Maybe that's just me, though.

The game looks incredible. The art style blew me away when it first appeared on screen.

However, what the hell is the plot? Is there a plot? Are there meaningful characters in the game itself?

If the whole point is just to fly from planet to planet and shoot other people who are also just flying from planet to planet, this will be a huge disappointment.

"Game of the Show" designations are huge exaggerations at this point.
Well some people shockingly like exploration games, even more when they're set in a possibly "infinite" universes that is very exciting. So you should probably speak for yourself and not others if they wish to designate it as game of the show.

LTWood12

This looks so freaking good. I really can't understand how a team of a few people is making one of the most ambitious games I've ever seen.

I desperately want this to be the game I think it will be, so that we can get to a "post-modern" gaming world.

This was the most impressive thing I saw last night. I hope they tighten everything up and figure out a way to make this a game-ier game. The open design gives it the potential to be any kind of game...but it needs to be great at something as well.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
But millions have played the Elite series, which did it earlier.

What series is that? And does its existence change anything?

Seriously, I'm glad you guys have played things like this. Great. Kudos. I have not, and I imagine I'm hardly alone. If this is old hat to you, fantastic. It changes literally nothing for my excitement.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
They need to show more gameplay before I consider buying this. Having read an "about this game," I am a little more clear on its purpose, but the trailer shown at E3 did not particularly look fun. I think it would be enjoyable for people maybe an hour into an game on how finding new planets and new animals, but since its randomly generated, how unique will it be? The concept is interesting and if they can get this right, they will be the first studio ever to do so, at least in my knowledge. The space fighting looks bad and boring to me, and reminds me of Ratchet and Clank space fighting, which I always found tedious, but was glad it was in it, because it felt like it was part of the game.

Either way, in my opinion we need to wait and see before we hype up a game, otherwise we can end up with something akin to the hype of TitanFall and Watch_Dogs. It was also smart of Sony to get this as a timed exclusive.

Kinthalis

Banned
What's up with the fuchsia space shots?

Other than that, this game still looks pretty awesome. I wonder how it'll do vs Elite and Star Citizen.

SyaraSystem

Neo Member
I find this to be far more convincing than Minecraft.
Rather than "Build it yourself" No Man's Sky seems to tell me, "Go find it. It's out there."

I hope they tighten everything up and figure out a way to make this a game-ier game.

I'm honestly not sure what you mean by this.
I find the foundation of exploration and discovery more than adequate.

Hyped beyond words for this. Also, the presenter seemed super nervous, but who can blame him. I can't imagine presenting my childhood dream game at E3. Kudos to the devs for being ambitious enough to dare create something like this. Can't wait to play it ^_^
Yeah he looked like he hasn't slept for a week.

WanderingWind

Elite? Elite changed everything, man.

...I don't even know what to say.

I meant about what my enthusiasm. Again, it's super that this is all familiar territory for some of you. Splendid! I have not had the opportunity to play anything like this. So I am excited to play out a nerd gaming dream. That's it. The end. Fin. Exit stage left. No mas. Finito.

Etc.

Chev

What series is that? And does its existence change anything?
Seriously? It's THE Great Old One of space sim series. Like, the first and the one that established the directions other space sims since have been exploring. Huge procedural galaxy to explore. Apart from having procedural lifeforms and adding crafting elements, everything in No Man's Sky is basically Elite 2-3 with a prettier, more detailed skin, down to the way the radar works.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

shh__don__t_say_anything_by_alexxmmb-d38y84g.jpg

Shhh. Don't say anything... ;P

I meant about what my enthusiasm. Again, it's super that this is all familiar territory for some of you. Splendid! I have not had the opportunity to play anything like this. So I am excited to play out a nerd gaming dream. That's it. The end. Fin. Exit stage left. No mas. Finito.

Etc.

Man, I've played games similar to this before... and I'm still super freaking excited about this. Game of the Show for me so far.

Etc.

Well it'd be nice if you wouldn't deny that older games had certain features when you know nothing about them.

WanderingWind

Well it'd be nice if you wouldn't deny that older games had certain features when you know nothing about them.

So you're saying I shouldn't be unaware of things I'm unaware of? BRILLIANT!

Me - "Man, I can't wait to try out this Ferrari, it's been a dream of tons of people to drive this."

You People - "Bitch, you got a Civic. And were you aware of the Motor T????"

Shhh. Don't say anything... ;P

I liked that movie. Was the cartoon any good?

Handy Fake

Seriously? It's THE Great Old One of space sim series. Like, the first and the one that established the directions other space sims since have been exploring. Huge procedural galaxy to explore. Apart from having procedural lifeforms and adding crafting elements, everything in No Man's Sky is basically Elite 2-3 with a prettier, more detailed skin, down to the way the radar works.

Frontier: Elite II had a preset, albeit huge, universe. It even came with an A2 star map.

dcx4610

Didn't think much of the game when it was showing weird land and creatures.

...and then it went into space. Wait, what? Now I'm interested.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Games like this haven't exactly been dime a dozen over the years and it shouldn't be that hard to grasp the concept that there are probably far more gamers who haven't had a chance to play games like Elite than have.

So you're saying I shouldn't be unaware of things I'm unaware of? BRILLIANT!

Me - "Man, I can't wait to try out this Ferrari, it's been a dream of tons of people to drive this."

You People - "Bitch, you got a Civic. And were you aware of the Motor T????"

If someone said "RE4 had quick time events" and I wanted to argue with them but I had no idea whether it did or not, I wouldn't say "NO IT DIDN'T!!"

Y'know, how you said that you couldn't get out of the ship and walk around in games where you could do so.

Educate yourself before making statements.

Nintyb

Banned
This looks interesting but so did Spore when it was initially revealed. When it's eventually released and turns out to be more than a tech demo, I'll check it out.

Only thing out of E3 that has even piqued my interest.

Chev

Frontier: Elite II had a preset, albeit huge, universe. It even came with an A2 star map.

Preset but procedural. Procedural doesn't mean random, never has. Procedural generation rests on pseudorandom number generators but those aren't random either. the whole core of it is that given the same inputs they will always spit out the same result (and so in games when you want actual randomness you'll give them inputs that are unpredictable, usually the system time but for example in bubble bobble it was based on counting player actions). If you're interested in the tech side of it there's a complete analysis of Elite 2's galaxy (which is the same used in Elite 3 and probably the kickstartered one) there: http://www.jongware.com/galaxy1.html

WanderingWind

If someone said "RE4 had quick time events" and I wanted to argue with them but I had no idea whether it did or not, I wouldn't say "NO IT DIDN'T!!"

Y'know, how you said that you couldn't get out of the ship and walk around in games where you could do so.

Educate yourself before making statements.

Yeah, see, that's your problem. You took innocuous statements of excitement as some sort of personal affront. Nobody is trying to argue with UncleSporky about his knowledge of space games. I've said several times that it's great that you know what to expect from games like this. I do not. I am excited. Take it or leave it, bud.

benjammin

This is easily the game that I'm most hyped about from e3 so far. It looks like a ton of fun. Glad to see someone doing something ambitious and exciting while everyone else is churning out remasters and sequels

Aces&Eights

Didn't think much of the game when it was showing weird land and creatures.

...and then it went into space. Wait, what? Now I'm interested.

Same here. What really blew me away was the seamless transition from surface to space then down to a different planet. If they include enough science stuff, IE data collecting, creature cataloging, survival stuff, then I could see entire weekends getting sucked up into this game.

iratA

One thing I don't understand is how they are handling the size of the Universe. Infinite procedural generated universe but every players goal is to get to the middle? How would that work? Also they mention that players can see a map where other players have explored (if those player's chose to share that information). How do you handle a map tool with an infinite generation? Couldn't someone break the game by continually travelling in one direction.

Handy Fake

Preset but procedural. Procedural doesn't mean random, never has. Procedural generation rests on pseudorandom number generators but those aren't random either. the whole core of it is that given the same inputs they will always spit out the same result (and so in games when you want actual randomness you'll give them inputs that are unpredictable, usually the system time but for example in bubble bobble it was based on counting player actions). If you're interested in the tech side of it there's a complete analysis of Elite 2's galaxy (which is the same used in Elite 3 and probably the kickstartered one) there: http://www.jongware.com/galaxy1.html

I'm just saying that the NMS universe is infinite.And everything upon those planets is unique in an infinite universe.

Elite's universe was, as I recall, still set up procedurally, and the results were made into its set playing area. This is a different kettle of fish.

RetroStu

Banned
I'm REALLY not into Indie games at all but this blew me away. It looks amazing and the concept of flying around where you want, onto different planets etc looks amazing. I just hope its not set up like those randomly generation dungeon horror games you get on the Oculus Rift where everything is the same after a while and there isn't really a point to the game.

legacyzero

Banned
It's hard to keep calm about this game. And it's even harder to keep my expectations from getting too high as well. My mind keeps wanting this game to be something that it may not be, and I hate it.

Looks nice but other than look around places what do you do? I'm not really interested in a virtual hike.

Yeah, the trailer looks neat but also something that would get boring fairly fast. I need real gameplay details. Unique concepts and visuals do nothing for me personally if they aren't backed up by solid, engaging gameplay. I'm sure I'll pick it up on PC eventually, but the details will determine whether this is a standalone purchase or a "wait for Humble Bundle" type of affair.

bj00rn_

Banned
Just think if this game would've had a kickstarter. It would've given Star Citizen a run for its money for most raised.

I don't think so. This game doesn't have the nostalgia, devoted fans, and depth, that those games do.

With that said, I think this game will be great for what it is, and I will be happy to try it out. At the same time I think some people are a bit naive regarding what a (talented) four man team is able to output. In many ways I don't even think this game is competing with Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous, which perhaps can be a good thing.

legacyzero

Banned
Looks nice but other than look around places what do you do? I'm not really interested in a virtual hike.

Hopefully well get some details and write ups over the next few days about it. I think at least Gamespot has a demo going starting today sometime.

It's hard to keep calm about this game. And it's even harder to keep my expectations from getting too high as well. My mind keeps wanting this game to be something that it may not be, and I hate it.

They need to do what Undead did with State of Decay and keep hype relatively low until the last couple of weeks before release and then do an IGN let's play to build some crazy hype.

Top Bottom