• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky gets released like, soon, I guess ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just can't wait to find a lush paradise type planet and post up there for a while and catalogue everything I can. I'm sure I'll keep some kind of captains log about my travels and discoveries.

Would be pretty cool if there was a rare trophy to scan every species on a planet... or a certain number on a single planet, since some will have more than others.

Its going to be so much fun sharing experiences with people in the OT.. ir photo thread or wherever we are doing it. I cant wait to see the crazy wierd things out there. I hope some of those bugs like walking buildings and shit still show up once in a blue moon lol.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I just can't wait to find a lush paradise type planet and post up there for a while and catalogue everything I can. I'm sure I'll keep some kind of captains log about my travels and discoveries.

Would be pretty cool if there was a rare trophy to scan every species on a planet... or a certain number on a single planet, since some will have more than others.

Its going to be so much fun sharing experiences with people in the OT.. ir photo thread or wherever we are doing it. I cant wait to see the crazy wierd things out there. I hope some of those bugs like walking buildings and shit still show up once in a blue moon lol.

I'm sure they'll turn up on different coloured moons too.

E92 M3

Me too; really excited for the snow and lush worlds.

I wouldn't consider these spoilers simply because this is just one location on one planet in a universe of 18 quintillion planets. This is what gets me excited. You wanted mountains and caves:

W0emsOI.jpg

HYSbxTf.jpg

This gets my mind going in a lot of great ways.

G-Bus

Banned
I can't wait to see some of the crazy stuff that will come out of this procedurally generated universe. I hope someone finds a planet of dicks or something ridiculous.

Curious to see how varied everyone's experience is with different planets and creatures. Trying to lower my expectations in this regard as i cant see it all being vastly different.

I'm sure they'll turn up on different coloured moons too.
I was just watching some footage of the galactic map swooping in and around all the stars. It looks like some of the start clusters are pretty tight and I'm sure Ispotted a few binary syatems in there. Some views in this game with multiple stars and planets with moons in the sky is going to be gorgeous.

Me too; really excited for the snow and lush worlds.
I hate cold. I will probably try to avoid cold planets except for when I need plutonium. I think I will fancy the hot planets more.

E92 M3

I was just watching some footage of the galactic map swooping in and around all the stars. It looks like some of the start clusters are pretty tight and I'm sure Ispotted a few binary syatems in there. Some views in this game with multiple stars and planets with moons in the sky is going to be gorgeous.

I hate cold. I will probably try to avoid cold planets except for when I need plutonium. I think I will fancy the hot planets more.

Hahah, I'll try to avoid the deserts. Could easily spend hours on cold planets, though.

That's the beauty of NMS - something for everyone.

vix

Those caves are gorgeous.

Man, it's gonna be so hard for me to not look at everything that's gonna come out between now and release.

I can't wait to see some of the crazy stuff that will come out of this procedurally generated universe. I hope someone finds a planet of dicks or something ridiculous.

I66jCGGh.jpg

Believe.

Edit: also just noticed.. is that some kind of aurora borealis in the sky? Now that would be cool if some planets had that shit.

Wtb time machine!

Really cannot wait for this....one over excited 50 year old who's so looking forward to nms here.

Also, as a red dwarf fan this sprung to mind...

No Man's Sky |OT| Infinity welcomes careful drivers.

I wouldn't consider these spoilers simply because this is just one location on one planet in a universe of 18 quintillion planets. This is what gets me excited. You wanted mountains and caves:

W0emsOI.jpg

HYSbxTf.jpg

Looks real good (and pretty)

The amount of cave systems to find across planets will hopefully be rewarding and fun.

Really digging this ship too. Just noticed that crazy goat looking thing sitting chilling on the right hand side.

HnJE09Uh.jpg

Another thing I noticed in these 2 shots.

veblsTJh.jpg

vlZb8LMh.jpg

It looks like a nice clear day in the first one with those red bulbs that seem to be closed and in the second one it looks like the bulbs are open and the air is filled with a toxic haze.

They kinda look like they might be different plants though.. I dunno...

Been watching videos of this all day and you can blow holes in the ground to go into caves - which is useful on cold planets that eat away at your heat resistant armour - as it's warm under the ground.

Pro ordered it a week ago when I saw the flight trailer. I was skeptical of the game ever coming out. I understanding waiting for reviews but flying in first person is a quick way to get me to throw money.

I wonder if there will be black holes or neutron stars or supernova.

HYSbxTf.jpg

Hmm. Unless those stalagmites and stalactites were formed from really fast-cooling lava, I don't see how those could have formed. I know I know it's a game not a simulation, but it should feel believable. Leaving aside that they're using a different texture than the cave walls, these geologic structures are typically formed by slowly dripping via gravity, so why are there stalagmites sticking out of the sides of the cave walls and stalactites that aren't pointing down? I think their proc gen for these features could use some tweaking.

For reference, a real cave:

vix

Caves on alien planets don't need to make sense.

You're ok with a giant crab thing and giant worms and alien races with digital faces and floating robots with lasers and mechs but stalactites and stalagmites bug you? ;) :p

The idea we can fly from outer space into a planets atmosphere, then land, then travel down a gorge on foot finding a cave at the bottom, then travel into the cave, for miles, and end up finding a piece of rare tech, is AWESOME!!

Hmm. Unless those stalagmites and stalactites were formed from really fast-cooling lava, I don't see how those could have formed. I know I know it's a game not a simulation, but it should feel believable. Leaving aside that they're using a different texture than the cave walls, these geologic structures are typically formed by slowly dripping via gravity, so why are there stalagmites sticking out of the sides of the cave walls and stalactites that aren't pointing down? I think their proc gen for these features could use some tweaking.

Well, that reference is for an EARTH cave. There's countless reasons why an alien planet could produce those. Stop thinking in earth terms ;)

Caves on alien planets don't need to make sense. You're ok with a giant crab thing and giant worms and alien races with digital faces and floating robots with lasers and mechs but stalactites and stalagmites bug you? ;) :p

Ha, yes. :p I think it's much easier for me to accept lifeforms because of evolution processes. With geologic features there's more of an uncanny valley (no pun intended) where things that don't make sense stand out as "wrong" immediately. Past that valley you get to stuff like floating islands that I just accept because it seems more fantastical than real.

To be fair, this is the first cave I've seen in NMS that looks off. It also looks a bit like when someone puts too many ornaments on a christmas tree. ;)

vix

Ha, yes. :p I think it's much easier for me to accept lifeforms because of evolution processes. With geologic features there's more of an uncanny valley (no pun intended) where things that don't make sense stand out as "wrong" immediately. Past that valley you get to stuff like floating islands that I just accept because it seems more fantastical than real.

To be fair, this is the first cave I've seen in NMS that looks off. It also looks a bit like when someone puts too many ornaments on a christmas tree. ;)

Maybe that particular caves residents are/were hoarders of stalactites and stalagmites. Perhaps the player stumbled upon their huge underground stash. :p :D

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

Those aren't stalagmites and stalactites, they're formed by the larva of the Siffot, a beetle like creature found in underground caves. Those nearer the cave entrances signal via sonic clicks to any other Siffot larva in the immediate area which creates a wave of sonic clicks that reverberates through the whole cave system. This indicates when it's safe to hatch, typically once every 140 years.

Unicorn

My first thought as well. I love caves, so I noticed that immediately.

Those aren't stalagmites and stalactites, they're formed by the larva of the Siffot, a beetle like creature found in underground caves. Those nearer the cave entrances signal via sonic clicks to any other Siffot larva in the immediate area which creates a wave of sonic clicks that reverberates through the whole cave system. This indicates when it's safe to hatch, typically once every 140 years.

I'm definitely not going in that cave now. I've seen Aliens, I know how that turns out.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I'm definitely not going in that cave now. I've seen Aliens, I know how that turns out.

It's unlikely that you'll be there when they hatch so you should be safe from the Siffit. What you should be worried about it the Corgoen Slug which bite off the ends of those larva shells and sucks out the goodness. They're blind but can smell food through even the thickest space suit. They inject an hallucinogenic drug into your system that hides the pain and gives you visions of home, so at least you can die peacefully.

Zyae

Its going to end up having cool tech and seem great at first but turn out to be super shallow with not a lot to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom