• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Speaking of NPCs, why are there multiple NPCs on the multi-pad outposts now? I get that one of them is a crew for hire, but there's often several chilling out with no prompt to talk. I guess a bug?
I hope that if it is a bug it isn't fixed, I like seeing them populated.

It's been mentioned many times but if you want to quickly earn units
plant mordite and make lubricant to sell
. It's a bit tedious but with my set up I can make 1 million units every 4-5 minutes, and most of that time is spent browsing GAF. Got my 13 slot freighter last night doing this, although I already had around 4 million units from pre-patch.

This did make me realize that the crafting menu is crap though. It is functional when you're making one or two things on the fly here and there, but if you're making a whole bunch of stuff at once it is a giant pain. Here's hoping they add in a workbench or manufacturing facility type stuff so you can craft stuff in bulk.

Dang those storage containers are legit as f*&k!!! I'll spoiler it below for those who don't want to know:

So basically, I currently have a freighter with 15 base slots (that I have to bother talking to the captain about) or I can just go to my room with 10 5-slot storage containers and get 50 additional slots. That's a total of 65 slots and each one is 4 times the size of any exosuit slot and twice as many as any ship slots. That's like having 260 exosuit slots! Plus, having it on my freighter means it is much easier to get to and much more mobile than at my planetary base.

Tips on how to connect the storage containers to the rest of your base (either planet-side or inside a freighter). I'll spoiler it just in case but I'm not giving away any cost amounts, etc. These are just tips to save people time.
So, the only way I could figure out how to connect storage containers to the rest of my base easily is to do the following:
1) Build a standard hallway.
2) At the end of the hallway build a cube room.
3) Next, depending on how you want your storage containers laid out, you can add onto the cube room with other cube rooms which will increase the size of all them. I have a large 3x3 cube room on my freighter that I use, for example.
4) Finally, you can build your storage containers right off of the cube rooms' walls and they will face towards you. I didn't grab a screenshot but I've got all 10 of my storage containers off of I think a large 3x3 cube room.
5) Very helpful to change the color of the storage containers based on what their contents will be (that's what I do anyway) and you can change the colors at any time - not just when you build it the first time.

Nice to finally have a mostly empty exosuit and a mostly empty ship with which I can add a bunch more ship upgrades and suit upgrades instead of hauling cargo all the time.

Oh, and an exploit I discovered while messing around with storage containers. I didn't intentionally use it but thought I'd mention it on here in case anyone was interested in cheating:
It seems that building storage containers off of cube rooms doesn't require voltaic cells. If you have voltaic cells on you it will use them but it will still build the storage container even if you do not have voltaic cells. This can be exploited to not only build storage containers without the voltaic cells but you can use it to make money if you want by building a storage container (not having any voltaic cells in your exosuit inventory), deleting the newly build storage container (which will then create two new voltaic cells), and then move those voltaic cells somewhere else - like your starship. Rinse, repeat, and then sell all those free voltaic cells.
And don't worry - it might be gone in the next patch as I already sent an email to HG about it. :)

dreamstation

Gold Member
Just had two bounty missions appear in a matter of 15 minutes or so. Were these made more frequent in the Foundation update or have they increased their chance of appearing in the latest 1.12 update? Prior to this I've only ever seen one in all my hours of playing. I haven't had much of a chance to play since the Foundation update so it could have been changed then and I just didn't know. Anyone know?

Just had two bounty missions appear in a matter of 15 minutes or so. Were these made more frequent in the Foundation update or have they increased their chance of appearing in the latest 1.12 update? Prior to this I've only ever seen one in all my hours of playing. I haven't had much of a chance to play since the Foundation update so it could have been changed then and I just didn't know. Anyone know?

I've only had one since the 1.11 update and none since the 1.12 update. Can't remember having many before the 1.11 update either but the bounty I went after with the 1.11 update was tough - he almost took me out...

dreamstation

Gold Member
Make that three bounty missions in about an hour of play. Considering I had only seen one of these prior to Foundation in god knows how many hours of play and now this morning alone I've seen three, something must have changed. They were all different difficulty levels but only one ship each time. One star, two stars and the last one was three stars with the tooltip saying 'elite'. None of them were all that challenging but the elite one did burn through most of my shield though.

Been warping through a bunch of systems looking for that perfect planet to start a base but no planet has been all that interesting so far. Always either a dead planet, high or aggressive level of sentinel or they have extreme weather, storms or too high/low temperature to be comfortable. Given that resources are a lot less common now I don't want to put any extra strain on living than I have to.

So, I found a crashed ship. This is my first time.

Anything special I need to do?
At the very least you should strip it for parts (you won't lose anything in your old ship when you change ships), then change back to your old ship again, and then transfer everything over.

Or.. take it as your new ship if it's worth it :)

Sarcasm

At the very least you should strip it for parts (you won't lose anything in your old ship when you change ships), then change back to your old ship again, and then transfer everything over.

What do you mean exactly? I land, go to new ship and enter? Then back to my old and move things and scrap them?

What do you mean exactly? I land, go to new ship and enter? Then back to my old and move things and scrap them?
yep. land near it, 'pick' the new ship (you can't take parts from it before entering the ship).

once you own the ship, you can hold L3 I believe to break down ship parts.

OR repair the ship and take it like you had to do for your first ship.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
If its more slots right?
Yeah, "more slots" is the only real advantage of moving to a new ship. Everything else you can build up yourself over time.

One exception is if a ship has a hyperdrive upgrade that you don't have the blueprint for yet, it's not worth moving to a new one that doesn't have it (and super worth moving to a ship that has a hyperdrive upgrade you don't have yet). Since this limits your ability to travel about the galaxy.

Hey so I was hoping to get some real basic/rookie help.

Just started playing yesterday and am a little confused how certain things work.

Are blueprints in general a one-time use? For example I'm looking to upgrade to my 3rd multi-tool but I got a mining companion unit on my 2nd (current) multi-tool and am worried that I'll have to find a whole new blueprint for it.

I realize I cannot move the companion unit over but I can I build a new one from the same blueprint on the new multi-tool?

I ask because you can't build multiple of the same companion unit/blueprint on a single multi-tool so it kind of looks one-use overall but might just be once per multi-tool

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah you pretty much figured it out already. Each blueprint is learned forever so you can always recreate it if dismantled, but each upgrade can only be crafted/installed once on a device

dreamstation

Gold Member
Just saved an awesome looking freighter that looks like a star destroyer from some pirates. The trouble is they want 10 million for it after I already spent 7 million on the one I have. It's got 2 extra slots but it's inhabited by Gek... Vy'keen for life!

SomTervo

Multiple NPCs was one of my requests for the vanilla game.

The universe always seemed dead and lonely because there was only ever one alien sitting around in each given location, even if it was like a hub in the narrative.

The tiny change of having 2-3, even just doing nothing (exactly what I asked for) immediately makes the world feel more real and lived in.

Hey so I was hoping to get some real basic/rookie help.

Just started playing yesterday and am a little confused how certain things work.

Are blueprints in general a one-time use? For example I'm looking to upgrade to my 3rd multi-tool but I got a mining companion unit on my 2nd (current) multi-tool and am worried that I'll have to find a whole new blueprint for it.

I realize I cannot move the companion unit over but I can I build a new one from the same blueprint on the new multi-tool?

I ask because you can't build multiple of the same companion unit/blueprint on a single multi-tool so it kind of looks one-use overall but might just be once per multi-tool

Once you learn a blueprint you don't need to find it again. You can only build each blueprint once on that device, but if you break it down you can rebuild it. Or if you get a new multitool that doesn't have it you can build it. You can break down the one on your existing multitool before you switch to get some of the materials back too.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
There's far more possibility with this game now. Freighters have room for six ships so why not allow us to eventually own six ships? Give that purpose and you have another good gaming loop. I'm thinking that once you have six ships you can recruit a mechanic who then helps you 'customise' your ship with decals and add ons. Scatter those decals and add ons throughout the galaxy and give us a blueprint for a scanner that helps us find them (something that beeps would be great) and you have yourself a worthwhile treasure hunt. You could also break those add ons down into 'wings', 'thrusters', 'cockpit' etc and then make it so you need a blueprint for each catagory, which means they can add even more ingredients to look for.

Multiple NPCs was one of my requests for the vanilla game.

The universe always seemed dead and lonely because there was only ever one alien sitting around in each given location, even if it was like a hub in the narrative.

The tiny change of having 2-3, even just doing nothing (exactly what I asked for) immediately makes the world feel more real and lived in.

Yeah. This was a major gripe for me. Going to a space station and only seeing one life form irked me.

But with the start of having like, 3 aliens sitting together...makes me hope they can instill more life to the universe through future updates. Like, meeting other explorers stranded on their ships or what not.

There's far more possibility with this game now. Freighters have room for six ships so why not allow us to eventually own six ships? Give that purpose and you have another good gaming loop. I'm thinking that once you have six ships you can recruit a mechanic who then helps you 'customise' your ship with decals and add ons.

That could be cool, but it sounds like more fetch quests which I find a bit tiring. I'm really I'm more interested in being able to hire my own fleet of NPC fighter pilots who can help defend my freighter when it's attacked by pirates, and maybe other crew to man turrets etc. Maybe even to help me attack other fleets that are part of a faction I've sided against. Or if I prefer a non-combat role, I could instead just hire a fleet of trading NPC ships that will go generate money for me.

vpance

Just saved an awesome looking freighter that looks like a star destroyer from some pirates. The trouble is they want 10 million for it after I already spent 7 million on the one I have. It's got 2 extra slots but it's inhabited by Gek... Vy'keen for life!

I've seen that star destroyer one, looks awesome. Might have to save up for 10 mill.. I've got 7.5 now.

dreamstation

Gold Member
I've seen that star destroyer one, looks awesome. Might have to save up for 10 mill.. I've got 7.5 now.

Yea it was tough letting that one go but I didn't really want to spend that many units so soon. It didn't help that the Gek were infesting it too ;)

There's far more possibility with this game now. Freighters have room for six ships so why not allow us to eventually own six ships? Give that purpose and you have another good gaming loop. I'm thinking that once you have six ships you can recruit a mechanic who then helps you 'customise' your ship with decals and add ons. Scatter those decals and add ons throughout the galaxy and give us a blueprint for a scanner that helps us find them (something that beeps would be great) and you have yourself a worthwhile treasure hunt. You could also break those add ons down into 'wings', 'thrusters', 'cockpit' etc and then make it so you need a blueprint for each catagory, which means they can add even more ingredients to look for.

I really like the idea of having multiple ships saved in our freighter and a mechanic to keep them shiny. It would be even better being able to construct our own ships from modular parts like wings, thrusters and cockpits and the ability to craft and add weaponry and the like would be awesome. There's so much potential for expansion with this game!

Question: Does anyone know if every planet and moon has a habitable base? I've finally found somewhere I want to set up but I've been flying around scanning for quite a while and I haven't been able to find one.

Does anyone know if every planet and moon has a habitable base? I've finally found somewhere I want to set up but I've been flying around scanning for quite a while and I haven't been able to find one.

Barren planets don't seem to have one. If you land and craft a Signal Booster (from the crafting menu...up on d-pad on PS4) it will point you to one.

I really like the idea of having multiple ships saved in our freighter and a mechanic to keep them shiny.

I mean I get the desire for that, it's like the people that want a space zoo, but it doesn't really add anything to the gameplay unless they truly make ships specialized.

are you the reason my PS4 downloaded 1.12 today?

Maybe! I doubt it.

Well dang it, just wanted to clear things up, sorry. :) Hopefully we'll be able to see each other one day.

I read about the freighter inventory bug, good thing they fixed it. As for the jetpack shortcut, I'm using it myself kinda frequently now, good to know I can get stuck in there.

In retrospect, I honestly think I'm seeing a model that isn't part of my old Gek freighter captain's desk. I've watched my video a couple of times and, again, if you look at my "before" screenshot of the Gek's desk, the only thing that could have come close to approximating what I think may be my character's helmet would be on the LEFT side of the Gek from my character's perspective. I just don't know man...

That could be cool, but it sounds like more fetch quests which I find a bit tiring. I'm really I'm more interested in being able to hire my own fleet of NPC fighter pilots who can help defend my freighter when it's attacked by pirates, and maybe other crew to man turrets etc. Maybe even to help me attack other fleets that are part of a faction I've sided against. Or if I prefer a non-combat role, I could instead just hire a fleet of trading NPC ships that will go generate money for me.

Those are cool ideas! I would only hope that if they add the ability for a player to own multiple smaller ships that they would implement differences between the different types of ships. Eyeball_kid has brought this up several times in this thread but ideas such as the big cargo carrying ships being much slower and bulkier, the science ships having decent cargo capacity but having the best scanning capabilities, and the fighters having the smallest cargo capacity of them all but having the best combat ability.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

I really like the idea of having multiple ships saved in our freighter and a mechanic to keep them shiny. It would be even better being able to construct our own ships from modular parts like wings, thrusters and cockpits and the ability to craft and add weaponry and the like would be awesome. There's so much potential for expansion with this game!

Question: Does anyone know if every planet and moon has a habitable base? I've finally found somewhere I want to set up but I've been flying around scanning for quite a while and I haven't been able to find one.

How about: once you have your six ships in the freighter, have hired the mechanic and have all the blueprints for all the different decals/modules then you get to earn your freighter pilot licence and just like with your smaller ships, you can upgrade the hyperdrives with the exception of having the Omega drive enabling you to travel twice as far in your freighter. It would give you something to work towards.

dreamstation

Gold Member
Barren planets don't seem to have one. If you land and craft a Signal Booster (from the crafting menu...up on d-pad on PS4) it will point you to one.

That's my problem then. I found a great low atmosphere planet that has plenty of resources and it doesn't require any sort of suit protection as the temperature is good. I crafted a Signal Booster and it found a habitable base... the problem is it's on the next planet. I take it that means there's none on this planet then? :( I wonder why they just didn't let us build anywhere we want.

I mean I get the desire for that, it's like the people that want a space zoo, but it doesn't really add anything to the gameplay unless they truly make ships specialized.

That is exactly what I meant. I should have explained myself better. Being able to have different class ships like a fighter, transport, explorer, etc that have different perks and depending on what you were doing at the time you would change to the ship that benefits your current goals. I suppose there's not really much point to multiple ships without having that specialisation first. They were talking about something like that earlier on weren't they? It's a shame that all ships are basically equal.

dreamstation

Gold Member
How about: once you have your six ships in the freighter, have hired the mechanic and have all the blueprints for all the different decals/modules then you get to earn your freighter pilot licence and just like with your smaller ships, you can upgrade the hyperdrives with the exception of having the Omega drive enabling you to travel twice as far in your freighter. It would give you something to work towards.

A deeper progression system would certainly be welcome but I really think we need more meaningful content to utilise the progress we've already made with the game. Collecting resources and building tech is all well and good but that can't be the ultimate goal. It should be the means to overcome the challenges presented by the content of the game, not be the content itself.

mokeyjoe

Yeah, I agree. I mean the centre of the galaxy objective, with worlds getting tougher as you progress was a good idea. It's just meaningless right now.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
A deeper progression system would certainly be welcome but I really think we need more meaningful content to utilise the progress we've already made with the game. Collecting resources and building tech is all well and good but that can't be the ultimate goal. It should be the means to overcome the challenges presented by the content of the game, not be the content itself.

Yeah, yeah, I agree. I'm just thinking of other gaming loops they can put in there to keep it turning over ... but will they ever put an 'objective' or 'end goal' in it? The Atlas Path and Centre of the Galaxy were the things drawing you on in the main game but what could be added? Perhaps they could extend the Atlas Path or even add a new path related to the ruins?

That is exactly what I meant. I should have explained myself better. Being able to have different class ships like a fighter, transport, explorer, etc that have different perks and depending on what you were doing at the time you would change to the ship that benefits your current goals. I suppose there's not really much point to multiple ships without having that specialisation first. They were talking about something like that earlier on weren't they? It's a shame that all ships are basically equal.

Yeah, Sean talked pre-launch about ships basically being specialized into combat, trading, and science silos. No idea why they tossed that idea. Maybe they ran out of time to implement. It would be difficult (but not impossible) to fix at this point. I guess they'd have to give big ships more cargo space, as there'd be riots if they took slots away from existing player ships.

I basically just want Hello to add more complexity to the game loop, instead of adding new features which reinforce the existing loop of fetch elements, craft something. I want there to be more viability and excitement within space by adding political options (making Factions a tangible thing) and combat depth. The idea of freighters that get attacked and fight back already exists in the game, so why not make that a next step for players? Hell eventually we could command our own fleet of ships. Maybe Hello doesn't want to go too deep in that direction, but I think they need to balance out the crafting-heavy and inventory management focus of the game.

re: barren planets, perhaps they didn't allow it because it would make some of the base quests impossible to complete.

dreamstation

Gold Member
Yeah, yeah, I agree. I'm just thinking of other gaming loops they can put in there to keep it turning over ... but will they ever put an 'objective' or 'end goal' in it? The Atlas Path and Centre of the Galaxy were the things drawing you on in the main game but what could be added? Perhaps they could extend the Atlas Path or even add a new path related to the ruins?

The concept of travelling to the centre of the galaxy being the ultimate goal wasn't really the issue and I still think it's an awesome idea. It was just executed very poorly. They talked about how it would get more challenging the closer you progressed towards the centre but for whatever reason that was changed and it didn't benefit the game one bit. Time and one's patience is the only thing standing between a player and the centre right now, not challenging or engaging content.

Khilandros

Started Survival Mode today and following the tutorial/beginning missions. Home planet was freezing cold, but I was lucky enough to find shelter in caves along the way to my ship. Wasn't easy finding the crystals to help repair my suit, but I managed somehow. I was so glad to leave that planet, but of course the warp fuel mission had me jumping to radioactive and more snow planets.

Just stopped playing a few mins ago after getting my base, next is starting the missions from my gek builder.

I really like what they have done with this update, survival is exactly what I needed. Can't wait until I setup my farm and eventually get a freighter.

Unicorn

Any mod support again? Chromatic garbage is annoying for pictures. Low-flight is so needed, especially with new terrain and oceans to explore.

I hope they revamp base missions, especially for Survival. Hiring people and having them research branches you choose will open it up more, I feel. Being able to choose blueprints and tech you want will make it more freeing and provide options for stuff you may need. Having to do some of the ridiculous stuff just to make glass was a pain. I do like how it was a good tutorial for the new elements and crafting items in normal mode of a save already with lots of progress.

Survival sounds terrifying since blueprints are mostly RNG or super duper gated by base's linear missions.

Khilandros

Any mod support again? Chromatic garbage is annoying for pictures. Low-flight is so needed, especially with new terrain and oceans to explore.

I hope they revamp base missions, especially for Survival. Hiring people and having them research branches you choose will open it up more, I feel. Being able to choose blueprints and tech you want will make it more freeing and provide options for stuff you may need. Having to do some of the ridiculous stuff just to make glass was a pain. I do like how it was a good tutorial for the new elements and crafting items in normal mode of a save already with lots of progress.

Survival sounds terrifying since blueprints are mostly RNG or super duper gated by base's linear missions.

Low Flight has been updated
http://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/80/?

Instagram Filter Removal:
http://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/310/?

Chromatic mod still works with the update:
https://nomansskymods.com/mods/chromatic-aberration-vignetting-scan-lines-removal/

Dark Space:
https://nomansskymods.com/mods/dark-space-foundation-update/

Strange thing I noticed only after starting up tonight. Last night when I started up the game it was playing a synth techno beat on loop, did that all the way through the galaxy map loading screen. I thought maybe this was just the new startup music post-Foundation, but when I loaded up tonight I got the usual synth pad soundscape. Did anyone else have this happen to them?

OuterLimits

Are knowledge stones more rare now? I can't seem to find any that aren't with ruins.

I believe they are much more rare. I'm certainly finding less of them, although occasionally a planet seems to have them more frequently. On a few planets though, have walked quite a bit and haven't found any, or just one.

Crashed ships seem to be less as well. Also, the flowers that restore your health, shield and hazard protection don't seem to be there anymore? Is anyone still finding those? Maybe it's just Survivor that they don't appear.

For those playing Survival, definitely buy a multi tool that has the plasma launcher ASAP. It cuts down the difficulty significantly. You mainly only have to worry about life support unless you visit an extreme planet since you can destroy the landscape for a cave. Plus the grenades are great against aggressive sentinels. One blast and those flyers are toast.(since they always feel the need to fly up right to you)

Cannot for the life of me find a scientist for hire. Every system I jump to is Vykeen

On the galaxy map, take note of the name of the faction area that's below the star system name. Adjacent faction areas will typically (or maybe always) different races....in other words, search around for a different faction area than the one you're in. I've seen Korvax and Gek crew hanging out in each other's systems.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Ugh, so how does teleportation works in the game? What do I need to setup and what are my options?

Yeah you pretty much figured it out already. Each blueprint is learned forever so you can always recreate it if dismantled, but each upgrade can only be crafted/installed once on a device

Once you learn a blueprint you don't need to find it again. You can only build each blueprint once on that device, but if you break it down you can rebuild it. Or if you get a new multitool that doesn't have it you can build it. You can break down the one on your existing multitool before you switch to get some of the materials back too.

Thanks for the input. Kinda dig how forward progress is handled in this game albeit I've only been playing for a day or two so maybe it gets really tiring. Get a new Multitool, just re-build your old favorite mods, same with new ships.

Just bought a ship for the first time, can hold a whopping 23 units.... still pretty happy about it.

Also just found my first habitable based and starting that off, have to find some spadonium but so far liking the base building stuff. Can't wait until I have a whole gang working on it.

Unicorn

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I also recommend rim lighting removal. I see they added a 10% mode. I'm gonna try that out, but loved the original 0% rim lighting last time.

I never felt a need for Dark Space. In fact, my current base is in a black system (with a slight yellow nebula around the galactic center or star, don't remember which).

c0Zm1c

Ugh, so how does teleportation works in the game? What do I need to setup and what are my options?

Claim a home base, teleport to it from a station (the teleporter at the station is located in the room on the left-hand side as you're entering the base, where you used to be able to get exosuit slot upgrades prior to the update). That will add that station to the list of places you can teleport back to from your home base. Up to only four stations will be listed, possibly the most recent but I'm not sure exactly how it works.

Unicorn

Screen tearing is also really bad for me. Vsync in game didn't seem to help either. I don't remember it tearing this bad before. I've been putting up with it now for about 35 hours haha but it is making me feel sick.

Top Bottom