• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

neoism

What? Why? The reason you don't put sprint on R3 is because the left analogue doesn't require as articulate movements. Minute adjustments on the left stick are rarely the difference between hitting your enemy and not, and having to click R3 to sprint obstructs that. That's why R3 is usually mapped to things like crouch, or as a last resort, melee.

It also makes much more sense to align the sprint button, with the movement stick as it relates to that function. Not only that but it's straight up more intuitive. L3 is sprint on 99% of the games on the market. There's no reason to be different for the sake of it.

It's not a big deal though, but it's one of the games baffling features.
Well shooters for me I hhhhaaate it on l3 because you have to press forward then press the l3 button but from what I've seen and felt you don't have to do that with r3 I changed it a long time ago for destiny because of what I just said.... It damn near ducked my l3 button until I changed it But yea it's defineity a personal preferences.

I agree that the gameplay loops need attention, but what you've mentioned is basically more content. POI and geography additions won't change the loop.

- Combat needs to be seriously improved. It's cool that they added more weapon abilities, but it's meaningless when AI creatures are braindead. Creatures should attack using their evolved abilities -- whether that's pouncing, clawing, tail whips, shooting poison spit, whatever. They should be smarter... groups of carnivores should use group tactics to take you down. Stalking animals should be able to effectively stealth from your view and track you. Some creatures should be boss-level; creatures in general should have rankings of difficulty. Ground combat should feel more like a FPS game.
- Add combat against alien NPCs, not just creatures.
- If I become a friend of the Korvax, that should have benefits and consequences. Factions should actually mean something, and participating in battles should have clear benefits for success (i.e. exclusive trading contracts, rank upgrades, etc.).
- A procedural job/mission system for cargo hauling, smuggling, fetch quests, bounty hunter jobs. This is IMO the most beneficial change they could make to the gameplay loop.
- NPCs should actually walk around, get out of their ships, mine things, drive around, attack you.
- Trading system should be more dynamic. Disrupting trade routes between systems should cause item shortages, etc.
- Pirates should be an actual org that you can join and go on raiding missions

Those are all great ideas. If you mention them to the devs, I'm sure they'll take them all into consideration.

So why do I have nearly three million credits? The last time I played was within the first couple of months after launch, and I absolutely did not have that many credits.

Also, is that enough to buy a freighter? If so, where/how do I buy one?

EsmdlXu.png

HbTFjwO.jpg

XCKj86K.png

nEny1I2.jpg

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I think I finally figured out what's happening when NPC freighters get stuck in 'red alert' mode after a battle. I was helping out some Vy'keen capital ships against an attack (as if the Vy'keen need any help) and after the battle, I was flying around slowly near the huge Vy'keen freighter. I noticed a weird sound, and realized it was the sound of its turrets turning. They were tracking a trading ship that was flying nearby, but not firing.

So my guess is this bug happens when a friendly NPC ship accidentally hits a freighter. But there must be no code path for the freighter AI to actually fire on friendly NPCs, so it gets stuck in red alert mode (tracking the target, but not able to attack) until the next battle.

This has a secondary effect of trapping NPC trading ships that try to land at the freighter, similarly to how trading ships get stuck in the circle of doom at a planetary outpost. (Am I the only one that gets annoyed at all the engines blaring overhead?) Hello really needs to add some logic that will tell the AI to give up and find another trading area if they can't land after some amount of time has passed.

I know this is an old post but I had to build a second landing pad for my base since NPC ships kept getting stuck in the circle of doom over my base whenever I'd park my ship on my landing pad. Having a second one for them to land on seems to have fixed the problem.

But yeah, god, those engine noises are unbearable after a while.

Wait, is there fog in the game now? I don't remember ever seeing localized clouds like that before. Dust storms yes, but not like this picture..

I know this is an old post but I had to build a second landing pad for my base since NPC ships kept getting stuck in the circle of doom over my base whenever I'd park my ship on my landing pad. Having a second one for them to land on seems to have fixed the problem.

But yeah, god, those engine noises are unbearable after a while.

Hah yeah, it's bad enough at an outpost, but when it's your own base... and there's no real benefit to them landing, other than being able to trade with the pilots. It would be cool if you could set sell price targets for resources you have stored at your base, so if a trader lands and meets your price, a transaction is automatically made.

magawolaz

Wait, is there fog in the game now? I don't remember ever seeing localized clouds like that before. Dust storms yes, but not like this picture...
I suspect the fog and rain surround the player and who took the pic moved from the original position with the photomode, leaving the "weather" behind.
Kind of like the rain in Project Cars in free camera mode.
Dunno though.

I suspect the fog and rain surround the player and who took the pic moved from the original position with the photomode, leaving the "weather" behind.
Kind of like the rain in Project Cars in free camera mode.
Dunno though.

Damn, too bad. Would certainly make things more interesting and potentially treacherous if we had mist and fog rolling in.

Flipyap

What? Why? The reason you don't put sprint on R3 is because the left analogue doesn't require as articulate movements. Minute adjustments on the left stick are rarely the difference between hitting your enemy and not, and having to click R3 to sprint obstructs that. That's why R3 is usually mapped to things like crouch, or as a last resort, melee.

It also makes much more sense to align the sprint button, with the movement stick as it relates to that function. Not only that but it's straight up more intuitive. L3 is sprint on 99% of the games on the market. There's no reason to be different for the sake of it.

It's not a big deal though, but it's one of the games baffling features.
Toggling sprint and aiming are two separate actions. The way we use the right stick (nudging to adjust aim) makes it better suited to clicking than the left stick. It's objectively more comfortable to click a stick when you're not pushing it in a direction, especially forward (the sprint direction).
Not to mention, most games take away your ability to aim accurately (and most of those disable weapon use entirely) while sprinting.

We were conditioned to accept an inferior control scheme because most games mindlessly started copying COD's controls at the height of its popularity. If that kind of logic were what decided which action goes on which stick, most games would have you zooming in by clicking the look stick, and crouching by clicking the movement stick, OG Halo-style.

Toggling sprint and aiming are two separate actions. The way we use the right stick (nudging to adjust aim) makes it better suited to clicking than the left stick. It's objectively more comfortable to click a stick when you're not pushing it in a direction, especially forward (the sprint direction).
Not to mention, most games take away your ability to aim accurately (and most of those disable weapon use entirely) while sprinting.

We were conditioned to accept an inferior control scheme because most games mindlessly started copying COD's controls at the height of its popularity. If that kind of logic were what decided which action goes on which stick, most games would have you zooming in by clicking the look stick, and crouching by clicking the movement stick, OG Halo-style.

Not sure what games you play but very little of this is true. Very few games 'take away your ability to aim while sprinting' (I think only Gears of War) and the argument 'because we use the right stick to nudge to adjust aim' doesn't make much sense.

The argument that it's objectively more comfortable to click a stick when you're not pushing it at odds with your previous statement where you suggest that it's important to aim while sprinting.

The only thing objective here is your suggestion that it's objectively better to have it on the right stick, this is objectively wrong, and clearly your personal preference. It's not uncomfortable for me at all to click L3 or R3 while moving the stick, I find it conveinient and often map buttons to those triggers for easier access (for instance on For Honor, I have mapped square to R3 for faster guard breaks).

In terms of sheer ergonomics right and left stick clicking are about the same. The purpose of both analogue sticks is to be clicked both while active, and inactive, if you find that activity uncomfortable then it seems that's an issue with your operation of the controller and or your own personal ergonomics

As I say, I don't find it troublesome to click the analogue sticks in while performing other tasks. Even with sprint on R3, you may want to move the cursor and begin sprinting at the sa time, move the cursor while zooming, or scanning while moving.

Something to bare in mind is that the left analogue stick does not require any considerable movement to initiate a sprint. In most games it only needs to be moved outside of its deadzone range (usually millimetres).

If you prefer it, I get it. I remap all manner of weird things into my controls, but I think ergonomically they're pretty equal yet generally speaking you should go with what people are familiar with. It enhances the games accessibility, and early-hour usability which can have a big impact on the player experience.

Minamu

Re4, spec ops the line, mgs5, just to name a few. You can't do proper scoping or aim down the sights when sprinting in these. You can barely, if at all, shoulder aim/shoot while sprinting either. Not that I think that's wrong.

Edit: I don't think there are any fps games where you can aim properly while sprinting either. Standard design today.

Tigress

I agree that the gameplay loops need attention, but what you've mentioned is basically more content. POI and geography additions won't change the loop.

- Combat needs to be seriously improved. It's cool that they added more weapon abilities, but it's meaningless when AI creatures are braindead. Creatures should attack using their evolved abilities -- whether that's pouncing, clawing, tail whips, shooting poison spit, whatever. They should be smarter... groups of carnivores should use group tactics to take you down. Stalking animals should be able to effectively stealth from your view and track you. Some creatures should be boss-level; creatures in general should have rankings of difficulty. Ground combat should feel more like a FPS game.
- Add combat against alien NPCs, not just creatures.
- If I become a friend of the Korvax, that should have benefits and consequences. Factions should actually mean something, and participating in battles should have clear benefits for success (i.e. exclusive trading contracts, rank upgrades, etc.).
- A procedural job/mission system for cargo hauling, smuggling, fetch quests, bounty hunter jobs. This is IMO the most beneficial change they could make to the gameplay loop.
- NPCs should actually walk around, get out of their ships, mine things, drive around, attack you.
- Trading system should be more dynamic. Disrupting trade routes between systems should cause item shortages, etc.
- Pirates should be an actual org that you can join and go on raiding missions

Good ideas. I think there is at least the start of being friends with a faction in there. Basically the factions will sell you blueprints now but to get the best ones you have to have better/best standing with them. Now that's just for that and it doesn't sound like you lose rep with another faction if you are good with one. But it is some effort into making being friends with a faction matter more.

WeTeHa

Ugh, I just booted this up and they still haven't fixed the bug I have where I can't build random base items you should have from the very beginning.
When I create a new save I can build them but not on my main save I've spent like a hundred hours on.

Hello games, please.

Mindlog

Saw a good point. If you want to upgrade your ships it makes sense to buy the first three cheap ships that land in your freighter. Then you can use those to find good crashed ships.

Good ideas. I think there is at least the start of being friends with a faction in there. Basically the factions will sell you blueprints now but to get the best ones you have to have better/best standing with them. Now that's just for that and it doesn't sound like you lose rep with another faction if you are good with one. But it is some effort into making being friends with a faction matter more.

Thanks. Yeah the factions are slightly better, but far from what Sean said about them prior to release. My impression was that factions weren't just another word for the races, but more like gangs engaged in turf wars. The faction areas still exist on the galaxy map, but they're meaningless aside from determining what race's space station is in those systems. Hopefully future updates will address this.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
My Exocraft's mounted cannon doesn't deplete or overheat. Is this intentional or the bug that was reported on the Steam community thread?

Also, frame rate is definitely shittier on OG PS4. Rain + ships landing on my landing pad + driving the Exocraft is producing some really awful results.

I'm pulling my hair out guys. I started last night, not far into it and got sent to an outpost where an alien gave me my first antimatter. I got the hyper drive installed and added the antimatter but it's not enough to do a warp jump. The game's now nagging me to warp to a new system but I can't. I looked online to find the materials to craft an antimatter but I don't have a blueprint. =/ I know which moon the outpost was on but hell if I can find the outpost again. I thought maybe I missed something or was meant to be given the blueprint. Any suggestions?

Sarcasm

I'm pulling my hair out guys. I started last night, not far into it and got sent to an outpost where an alien gave me my first antimatter. I got the hyper drive installed and added the antimatter but it's not enough to do a warp jump. The game's now nagging me to warp to a new system but I can't. I looked online to find the materials to craft an antimatter but I don't have a blueprint. =/ I know which moon the outpost was on but hell if I can find the outpost again. I thought maybe I missed something or was meant to be given the blueprint. Any suggestions?

It actually should be enough. I only got one warp cell and I was able to fly to the next planet. I believe you can only do a short jump, so look careful at which planets you are choosing. I choose next in the "atlus path"

Minamu

Antimatter is fuel for making warp cells (with plutonium or thamium, can't remember). Warp cells let you jump between STARS, not planets. To leave a planet, fly into the air and point up. To go fast between planets, you need regular plutonium/thamium in a special engine (NOT WARPDRIVE), which activates with L1+R1 if you have it installed and you probably do.

Edit: Warp cells are constructed by pressing square in your inventory, doesn't matter where. If you don't have the blueprints for some reason, you could scan for abandoned buildings and hope you get it that way I guess. If you find red barrels in the wild, they will contain some form of warp fuel, be it antimatter, vapor or the green ball. After construction, you need to add it to the engine manually as well. It's not enough to have it in a ship slot.

And yeah, once you've done all that and reached the star map, you can only jump to the closest star possible, the starting engine is crap/needs more than one cell.

It actually should be enough. I only got one warp cell and I was able to fly to the next planet. I believe you can only do a short jump, so look careful at which planets you are choosing. I choose next in the "atlus path"

I don't remember seeing an atlas path. I think there was center/core (of universe I assume), free choice and a third which might be atlas but I don't recall seeing 'atlas' specifically mentioned. I usually do a scan/search for nearest planets and they all come up saying too far.

The drive is set up right and the fuel bar for the it is maybe barely a quarter full, so it doesn't seem like a lot.

Sarcasm

I don't remember seeing an atlas path. I think there was center/core (of universe I assume), free choice and a third which might be atlas but I don't recall seeing 'atlas' specifically mentioned. I usually do a scan/search for nearest planets and they all come up saying too far.

It is something you can choose when you very first start the game.

Also you use warp via the Down on D-PAD / X on keyboard (where you use photo mode, torch, quick recharge) while in space.

The drive is set up right and the fuel bar for the it is maybe barely a quarter full, so it doesn't seem like a lot.

It's only partially full because one warp cell = one jump. Keep in mind the base warp drive will only give you access to yellow stars. You may have to look around in free roam on the galaxy map to find the closest yellow star, though it should have put you in a yellow cluster anyway.

Concept video someone on reddit made for the next update. Don't care that much about the appearance customization stuff, but the dynamic missions I suggested are in there (though I wouldn't present the mission UI in that way). Good work though for a quick mockup. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TxgAWheahM

Is it normal that my ship is lodged into my base when I use the teleporter from a space station?

Yeah. The only real solution is to just not expand your base in that area, as it always drops the ship in the same place.

dubq

Concept video someone on reddit made for the next update. Don't care that much about the appearance customization stuff, but the dynamic missions I suggested are in there (though I wouldn't present the mission UI in that way). Good work though for a quick mockup. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TxgAWheahM

Yeah. The only real solution is to just not expand your base in that area, as it always drops the ship in the same place.
weird! I wonder if that changes once I build a landing pad?

Also are damaged slots in crashed ships new? I don't remember these the last time I played.. found a sweet ship worth over 2mil but it is going to cost me about 1.5mil to repair all of the slots...!

weird! I wonder if that changes once I build a landing pad?

Also are damaged slots in crashed ships new? I don't remember these the last time I played.. found a sweet ship worth over 2mil but it is going to cost me about 1.5mil to repair all of the slots...!

It still parks the ship on the ground when you use a teleporter, even if you have a landing pad or two. Maybe to keep the pads available for traders to land.

Yeah damaged slots are new, and damaged ships no longer have equivalent tech to what you already have. But on the other hand, you can now find ships that are more than +/- 1 slot above or below yours, and you can own multiple ships now if you own a freighter. You also get a discount now if you trade your ship for another one. I think all in all it probably makes it more fair, but I haven't really played with that system much yet.

Nerix

Any tips for the 25min race with the new vehicle? Most of the track is covered with water on my planet. The vehicle sinks to the ground and is really slow...

You can't just fly to the location, right? :p

Finally reached the center on my OG, normal save
which was even more underwhelming than I thought, even after being already "spoiled"
and immediately started my first survival playthrough.
And I have to say: this is how the game should be played. It's unforgiving at times, but very rewarding. It makes base building a necessity instead of just a fun thing to do. Finding a sliver of plutonium suddenly can become a life saving event. Great stuff.

Minamu

Any tips for the 25min race with the new vehicle? Most of the track is covered with water on my planet. The vehicle sinks to the ground and is really slow...

You can't just fly to the location, right? :p
Yeah you can, it's the most effective way of travel and makes the vehicles dumb :)

Sarcasm

I kind of screwed myself over on a crashed ship. It has way more spaces. Move everything. Realize most spaces need to be bought.

Lost original ship, best way to farm? Asteroids and sell it? Each spots raises and I am at 124,000.

Minamu

I kind of screwed myself over on a crashed ship. It has way more spaces. Move everything. Realize most spaces need to be bought.

Lost original ship, best way to farm? Asteroids and sell it? Each spots raises and I am at 124,000.
You could try scanning planets for rare materials and farm that? Rubeum in red star systems is pretty good. Maybe Corysagen for glass crafting?

Nerix

Yeah you can, it's the most effective way of travel and makes the vehicles dumb :)
Thx ;)

Is there a way to build a trade terminal on your base planet? Kind of annoying to teleport back to the space station every time you want so sell something.

Minamu

I am at the very start of a new save -.-

I guess the wiki tells best resources?
Oh ,sorry didn't know that. Well that early in the game, it's been a while for me and the rare stuff you can scan planets for didn't exist when the game came out. Besides those materials being needed for the base quests, I think you could try selling just about anything that isn't essential such as plutonium etc? If you're able to fly to different stars, there could be farm planets, ie planets with tons of pearls or korvax cubes. That was the number one farming method back in the day. They show up on planet scans. It might not be possible right away but getting an actual farm going could be an option too, unless the ship is super broken?

Thx ;)

Is there a way to build a trade terminal on your base planet? Kind of annoying to teleport back to the space station every time you want so sell something.
Yeah you get the blueprint from one of your NPC's at some point. It's pretty crazy expensive though. Like several thousands of materials crazy.

What the hell did they do?!
The game looks horrid and broken in HDR.
Not only the oversaturation and graphical glitches (e.g. certain text and on my first boot up I had basically some extreme case of color banding, even extending to the PS4 menu when you switch to it), the whole game looks so much worse now, especially surfaces.
At times it looks like a GPU on life-support. I can't play the game like this.
This really bummed me out as I wanted to try the new stuff.

mitchman

Gold Member
What the hell did they do?!
The game looks horrid and broken in HDR.
Not only the oversaturation and graphical glitches (e.g. certain text and on my first boot up I had basically some extreme case of color banding, even extending to the PS4 menu when you switch to it), the whole game looks so much worse now, especially surfaces.
At times it looks like a GPU on life-support. I can't play the game like this.
This really bummed me out as I wanted to try the new stuff.

Yeah, HDR looks broken on the PS4 Pro at least.

The camera position on the ground vehicles is really bad.

It needs to be higher above and farther back than it is. Makes trying to mine with the exocraft laser a real pain.

The creature sounds in Path Finder have really gotten overbearing. The constant shrieking is painful to listen to. Hello, not every creature needs to do a high-pitched howl when running away. Maybe use more of the frequency range too?

so rmember when i said i found a 7 mil fighter?

planning on trading it to get a nice ship for a decent price of free. i do love having space, so this seems worth it to me:

opinoins?

Why not buy a freighter? Then you can have multiple ships with different roles.

iosefe

The creature sounds in Path Finder have really gotten overbearing. The constant shrieking is painful to listen to. Hello, not every creature needs to do a high-pitched howl when running away. Maybe use more of the frequency range too?

Why not buy a freighter? Then you can have multiple ships with different roles.

i don't have money though.

but there is a freighter in my system for like 700k. it will take some time to farm up. i haven't even set a home

i don't have money though.

but there is a freighter in my system for like 700k. it will take some time to farm up. i haven't even set a home

700k is a bargain. Most are more in the range of 15 mil. But I hear you, priorities.
My opinion on that ship you want to trade for is, look at the price. Your current ship is valued 1.5 mil higher than the one you want to buy, so you're basically losing 1.5 mil on the deal. I'd wait and find one that is a better trade value.

iosefe

i helped a freighter from pirates, but the light is still orange and i can't enter. how has this not been fixed yet? i even used the laser to make sure i didn't accidentally hit them

i helped a freighter from pirates, but the light is still orange and i can't enter. how has this not been fixed yet? i even used the laser to make sure i didn't accidentally hit them

From what I've observed, the bug is not about you hitting a freighter, but probably a friendly NPC ship hitting the freighter. When that happens the freighter gets stuck in some bad code state and never finishes its attack mode.

But yeah it's sort of inexcusable that they haven't fixed it since it's so common. File a bug if you can, the more voices they hear about it, hopefully they'll make it more of a priority. https://hellogames.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Top Bottom