• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Spoiler Thread

Betty

Banned
So many people are eating so much crow. PRAISE THE NOTES

If the game launched as it is now, aside from a few bugs it would still be fantastic and become a favourite of many.

But all those updates are going to improve the experience so much that it feels likei'm playing the beta.

Nameless

better lighting, better skyboxes. better shadows, better textures, improved pop-in, more visual variety pretty much across the board. Can't wait to see how it all comes together compared to what we've seen on streams.

Sean did more than just deliver on his promise. And it goes to show all these people that were giving the game a hard time where playing an unfinished game.

Already talking about cool stuff coming in the next patch? Christ.

I think Ill wait a month or two on this and keep that money for Deus Ex. Get NMS after a few more patches and maybe a sale during the holidays seems smart.

ironcreed

Banned
The guy is basically the Jesus of maths. NMS looks to be quite the achievement.

Leo-da-vincis-demons-35703011-400-233.gif

SomTervo

Not sure how people could have thought this was 60fps... It's a smooth 30 so far.

Exactly. Just finished a long session and it's 100% 30FPS. Very stable though.

Already talking about cool stuff coming in the next patch? Christ.

I think Ill wait a month or two on this and keep that money for Deus Ex. Get NMS after a few more patches and maybe a sale during the holidays seems smart.

Its an update, not a patch. But it includes improvements. They'll be updating the game with new stuff for years to come. This is not a solid reason to leave it. The game is complete

SomTervo

Oh shit, didn't see the patch notes. Fuck yeah!

"Writing – The Atlas path has been rewritten by James Swallow (writer on Dues Ex) and me. I think it speaks to the over-arching theme of player freedom more clearly now. Early mission text has been rewritten to allow for multiple endings."

I hope someone will archive the original story from the unpatched version. That should be an interesting read.
This launch is a bit of a disaster and the game clearly shouldn't have had a physical release on day one, but at least we'll get a rare insight into its development out of it.

Still, this is going to suck for anyone who starts the retail copy without access to the internet.

A mess? The launch is great! I've played it for six hours.

Why? It literally has no effect on you whatsoever.

I'm so fucking tired of gamers taking issue with shit on some manufactured principle when nothing is actually wrong.

Every single game since we entered the patch era is drastically different on day 1 officially minus day -10. I agree it's nonsense.

SomTervo

Minor side quest/conversation spoiler:

I thought I was offering to help an alien out with a bounty.

Turns out I was offering to take his place as husband to an alien lass.

FMNMSL

Learn to speak alien languages before you engage in complex conversations, kids

Flipyap

A mess? The launch is great!
7rxBx7J.png

Doesn't seem so great otherwise when the developer is begging people not to play their game in its on-disc state, and it won't be great for anyone who starts playing the game offline, unaware that they might have to delete their save to restart the game properly.

7rxBx7J.png

Doesn't seem so great otherwise when the developer is begging people not to play their game in its on-disc state, and it won't be great for anyone who starts playing the game offline, unaware that they might have to delete their save to restart the game properly.

Lol, Lol, Lol.

So an experimental game is experimental, oh my god the horror.

Pop

7rxBx7J.png

Don't play early copies

Why? It literally has no effect on you whatsoever.

I'm so fucking tired of gamers taking issue with shit on some manufactured principle when nothing is actually wrong.

There are plenty of practices in video games I don't agree with that don't necessarily directly effect me. A few of my friends have super shitty internet, and Comcast's awful data caps. It's hard for them to juggle how much they can use per month and now have to incorporate that on a single player game.

What you perceive as "nothing wrong" isn't the same for everyone. No need to get all upset that people have different opinions than yours.

Man, this game makes people defensive as fuck.

Every single game since we entered the patch era is drastically different on day 1 officially minus day -10. I agree it's nonsense.

Not every game is so drastic in its Day 1 changes. Sengoku Basara has only changed marginally since its release, with its biggest change being that you can skip the awful powerup sequences. That's incomparable to adding a ton of content.

Edit: The patch size is super small, so good on HG for keeping it that way. I'm still not cool with it as a general concept, but that's a lot easier for people to swallow.

https://twitter.com/nomanssky/status/762341672265080836

Flipyap

yeah. Remember how Xbox players who used an exploit to get Dark Souls 3 early were playing an unbalanced version that had Shadow of Mordor-tier difficulty?
Yeah, except they were using an exploit, not installing the game off a disc bought in store. This isn't an issue with "early copies," it's going to affect anyone who happens to install the game offline until Sony starts printing discs with updated game code (which might not happen).

https://www.twitch.tv/mechanical_beehive2

This guys planet is mad. Pretty sure he doesnt need to use life support, or its at the lowest possible rate of loss.

7xE1HQ9.jpg

Definite Proteus vibes there. Now I just need a little hopping pixelated frog.

It's looking more and more like we've been molyneuxed.

C'mon now. That's not even remotely fair and you know it.

actual molyneuxed or "fans inflated expectations and are now cranky"

Pretty much. Though those patch notes are something else and will hopefully temper some of the tantrums.

Still, this is going to suck for anyone who starts the retail copy without access to the internet.

Sure, but this is 2016. People playing games on modern consoles in 2016, let alone PC, are by and large connected to the internet. Of the people that are planning on buying NMS, or have already pre-ordered it, the number that actually do not have reliable access to the internet-- and yes, I have friends that are in that (sometimes literal) boat-- is tiny, and shrinking every year. At some point you have to stop focusing on the outliers.

The update patch is also only 800MB. That's less than the YIFY rip of Interstellar and NMS you can actually play.

What a shame told him to chill out.

Well he's not banned from the Internet and I've seen him popping up elsewhere-- including asking questions on NMS' twitter feed lol So he's alive and well :)

FMNMSL

You
cucked
him?

Seriously?

Planet rotation – play testing has made it obvious people are struggling to adjust to this during play so it’s effects have been reduced further…

Anyone playing have a problem with planet rotation? I don't get what that even means

Clauss

Anyone playing have a problem with planet rotation? I don't get what that even means
This puzzled me as well. Everything I've been reading has been people wishing the rotation correlated to the day night cycle more accurately. This sounds like they've done the opposite.

Lol @ the NMS Review thread. One cranky review and there's already 11+ pages. Looks like I'll be steering far away from that thread.

This puzzled me as well. Everything I've been reading has been people wishing the rotation correlated to the day night cycle more accurately. This sounds like they've done the opposite.

No idea tbh. Whatever they were encountering during playtesting left a bad taste in their mouth it seems. I imagine we'll get a proper postmortem from HG down the line that'll address stuff like this.

Yeah if anything I was expecting them to put in the proper rotation and as a consequence have realistic day/night cycles.

So hyped for this game. Been watching streams. They make me happy.

Sean did more than just deliver on his promise. And it goes to show all these people that were giving the game a hard time where playing an unfinished game.

So many people are eating so much crow. PRAISE THE NOTES

Can we just shut this shit down right now?

*clears throat*

Might I suggest reading the update notes? ;)

Dude, you need to seriously chill. The update notes don't go into any sort of technical detail at all, in fact it implies that all they did was make days longer.

Nameless

Yeah, except they were using an exploit, not installing the game off a disc bought in store. This isn't an issue with "early copies," it's going to affect anyone who happens to install the game offline until Sony starts printing discs with updated game code (which might not happen).

It's still an issue of people accessing the content before the developer intended. Whether it's due to an online exploit or a retail store breaking the street date or unscrupulous warehouse workers doesn't really matter.

FMNMSL

This might be the best interaction I have heard about in this game :D

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

My guess on this is that I've had times when I was trying to get to a location over the horizon on a planet and the rotation of the planet was making it difficult to "catch up" to the location due to the ship's automatic speed limits at various heights.

Those patch notes are incredible. Addresses basically every single complaint I have.

Is the day one patch included in the pre-load or is that going to have to be downloaded separately, further delaying when I can start playing it?

Top Bottom