• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Spoiler Thread

I'm pretty sure preloads and day 1 patches are always separate downloads, at least on PSN.

Sometimes I haven't had to download one and I'd be able to start playing right away, though thinking back, it was usually just for remasters and things like that. But I don't think Abzu and Telltale Batman had day one patches, either. Those came a day or two after.

Someone is going to remind you about everyone's 8kb internet speeds and hard data caps.

I got this fam.

US_Robotics_2x_stanard_33.6___9600_baud_modems__1_.JPG

Irminsul

So, I wonder, with these tidbits about day/night cycles being the same on each planet:

Does it matter where on the planet you land? I.e., close to the poles or the equator? I mean, if the axis of the planet's rotation is not tilted, the length of daylight being the same everywhere makes sense. Still, the sun should be higher above the horizon near the equator and sunrise / sunsets should be shorter. Does that happen?

Flipyap

Sure, but this is 2016. People playing games on modern consoles in 2016, let alone PC, are by and large connected to the internet. Of the people that are planning on buying NMS, or have already pre-ordered it, the number that actually do not have reliable access to the internet-- and yes, I have friends that are in that (sometimes literal) boat-- is tiny, and shrinking every year. At some point you have to stop focusing on the outliers.
I'm sure it's not going to affect a large percentage of the audience, but whoever is affected by it is going to have the worst game update experience caused by the physical edition being printed prematurely.
Plus, it's not like PSN is the most reliable network. Even if their ISP is rock solid, good luck to anyone who gets this game for Christmas.

At the very least, every physical copy should come with a note/sticker stressing the importance of getting the game up to date. It's only polite to let people know that they will lose progress otherwise.

It's still an issue of people accessing the content before the developer intended. Whether it's due to an online exploit or a retail store breaking the street date or unscrupulous warehouse workers doesn't really matter.
It's an issue that will continue to exist for a long time after launch.

Predwolf

I no longer have the desire to watch streams knowing the game is getting drastic change starting today or tomorrow.

That's exactly why we should watch these streams. You will never see these planets or generations again, it will all be completely different. We're seeing stuff that is unique and we will never get to experience ourselves.

kyser73

I'm sure it's not going to affect a large percentage of the audience, but whoever is affected by it is going to have the worst game update experience caused by the physical edition being printed prematurely.
Plus, it's not like PSN is the most reliable network. Even if their ISP is rock solid, good luck to anyone who gets this game for Christmas.

At the very least, every physical copy should come with a note/sticker stressing the importance of getting the game up to date. It's only polite to let people know that they will lose progress otherwise.

It's an issue that will continue to exist for a long time after launch.

Ok, I'm over this nonsense.

EVERY piece of software written outside of gaming since the begging of time has relied on updates. OS, productivity & process management applications (the stuff that runs power stations, for example) have all been continually patched & updated as bug fixes are applied, new UI skins added etc, and the gaming industry has finally joined every other kind of software in the way no item is truly 'complete' at release.

Deal with it people.

Minor side quest/conversation spoiler:

I thought I was offering to help an alien out with a bounty.

Turns out I was offering to take his place as husband to an alien lass.

FMNMSL

Learn to speak alien languages before you engage in complex conversations, kids

That is amazing, holy shit!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Do we know when the big update is coming?

Supposedly tomorrow morning. Not sure if they gave an exact time.

Minor side quest/conversation spoiler:

I thought I was offering to help an alien out with a bounty.

Turns out I was offering to take his place as husband to an alien lass.

FMNMSL

Learn to speak alien languages before you engage in complex conversations, kids

Holy shit.... hahahaha, wow!

Flipyap

Ok, I'm over this nonsense.

EVERY piece of software written outside of gaming since the begging of time has relied on updates. OS, productivity & process management applications (the stuff that runs power stations, for example) have all been continually patched & updated as bug fixes are applied, new UI skins added etc, and the gaming industry has finally joined every other kind of software in the way no item is truly 'complete' at release.

Deal with it people.
EVERY piece of software isn't going to require you to delete everything you made it in when you update it.

EVERY piece of software isn't going to require you to delete everything you made it in when you update it.

But sometimes it will, like when you're pushing an update that significantly alters important things and is part of what is meant to be the initial experience for users.

Flipyap

But sometimes it will, like when you're pushing an update that significantly alters important things and is part of what is meant to be the initial experience for users.
Sure, but those things usually come with warnings explaining that such an event might occur. In case of No Man's Sky, that would be a surprise to anyone who isn't a huge dork following every bit of news, like we are.
Hence, the thing I said about letting people who buy a retail copy know how important it is to get the thing patched.

Only the ones acquired before release?
...I give up.

theWB27

Sure, but those things usually come with warnings explaining that such an event might occur. In case of No Man's Sky, that would be a surprise to anyone who isn't a huge dork following every bit of news, like we are.
Hence, the thing I said about letting people who buy a retail copy know how important it is to get the thing patched.

...I give up.

I'm sorry, i just lean heavily on the consumer holding the burden of knowing what they're buying and the risks/positives involved.

MikeyB

You don't have to delete it, I believe. You can keep playing in its present form. You do need to delete if you want to take advantage of the new features. At least, that's how I understood the patch notes.

Allard

You don't have to delete it, I believe. You can keep playing in its present form. You do need to delete if you want to take advantage of the new features. At least, that's how I understood the patch notes.

That's how I read it too, the whole universe and its algorithm is getting updated and planet positions and types will change and thus it could be possible for you to get generated in the middle of planet or out in the middle of nowhere with no warp cell leading to a fundamentally broken game, instead of breaking the game with the patch, the contents just won't be available till you start it from scratch with the new version. They at least promised not to do it again and they call it a day zero patch.

Inviusx

Ive been extremely skeptical of No Mans Sky. I still am however I will give props to those day one patch notes.

gossi

Okay, I get to eat crow about earlier posts here. They are now closing all Twitch channels for NMS, and they are looking at some pretty advanced stuff through patching. I'm surprised about the patching in of major features, they better have a kick ass QA team.

Clauss

Can we just shut this shit down right now?
What's the problem? We had too many people judging this game based on footage/impressions from a pre-release version of the game. All the while, HG is waving in the background asking everyone to be patient and folks are spouting baseless conspiracy theories left and right. Now we finally have HG coming forward with the day 1 notes and some of ya'll are still trippin'.

Speculation incoming:

It's likely that they had a deadline to go "gold" but didn't get balance and fine details settled in time. What's the best solution to this? Cut what you have at the deadline onto the disc and spend the remaining weeks busting your ass to get the easy fixes ready for launch in a day-1 update. Personally, I don't think they should have had to worry about pre-release footage skewing the publics perspective of their game, especially if my speculation is at all accurate. But I mean, this is the Internet, and it's bound to happen in some form. Although, the caliber of these leaks were quite large and I think they've handled it the best way that they could have.

If people are canceling pre-orders based on pre-release footage, good riddance imo. If you were that much on the fence, it might not be the game for you anyway (Yeah I know this argument is lame, but for real, that's bullshit and you all know it). Although, if base building and freigher ownership is coming soon, they'll likely pick up a larger crowd either way.

Hype is at full throttle for me. ,,!,, (-_-) ,,!,,

Clauss

I was saying a while ago I would be so happy if they added bounty missions and we are getting them on day one. Thats so sweet
Yes! I read that in the notes and remembered reading in one of these threads. Such a great idea for real. I really can't wait to see what else they can come up with.

Yes! I read that in the notes and remembered reading in one of these threads. Such a great idea for real. I really can't wait to see what else they can come up with.
What would be awesome is if since you can now scan for other players discoveries. Will it be possible to have another human player with a bounty on his head and have to try and track them down? That would be what I spend all my time in this game doing.

Complaints about the day 1 patch are so pointless. Nothing matters until release. Patches, updates, server wipes, stat resets, leaderboard resets, whatever- all of it is fair game. Nothing matters until launch. Nobody's even supposed to be playing the game right now aside from maybe reviewers. What are we even discussing?

As for requiring an internet connection to get the full experience: Well yeah, welcome to 2016 in gaming. If you can't download the patch, too bad. You have much more than simply NMS to be worried about, dozens of games have been transformed through updates and patches. This is our new normal.

What would be awesome is if since you can now scan for other players discoveries. Will it be possible to have another human player with a bounty on his head and have to try and track them down? That would be what I spend all my time in this game doing.

I think at the very least since you can scan for player discoveries, you could try and hunt down a player by virtue of what was most recently discovered, the systems they potentially could've jumped to (if they're already gone). Even if there is no bounty involved, it could make playing as a Pirate/Griefer really rewarding to track down some human player prey.

Clauss

Complaints about the day 1 patch are so pointless. Nothing matters until release. Patches, updates, sever wipes, stat resets, leaderboard resets, whatever- all of it is fair game. Nothing matters until launch. Nobody's even supposed to be playing the game right now aside from maybe reviewers. What are we even discussing?

As for requiring an internet connection to get the full experience: Well yeah, welcome to 2016 in gaming. If you can't download the patch, too bad. You have much more than simply NMS to be worried about, dozens of games have been transformed through updates and patches. This is our new normal.
Preach, fam.

Complaints about the day 1 patch are so pointless. Nothing matters until release. Patches, updates, sever wipes, stat resets, leaderboard resets, whatever- all of it is fair game. Nothing matters until launch. Nobody's even supposed to be playing the game right now aside from maybe reviewers. What are we even discussing?

Great post by Rami (Vlambeer) re: the patch process, its roots, why day 1 patches aren't malicious and devs aren't lazy; from the perspective of someone that has gone through the process multiple times now.

http://ramiismail.com/2016/08/patch-the-process/

Top Bottom