• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No More Heroes sells well and Suda cries tears of joy

Safe Bet

Banned
Crushed said:
I think people are happy that a good game designer was able to sell a good game, in comparison to his previous good games which sold poorly.
Most of us are...

But it seems like their is alot more talk about the Wii in this thread than talk about Suda and NMH.

stuminus3

Kintaro said:
This is good news. It shows that if you release a game that actually plays well to go along with your style, it'll have a better chance to sell (which was the problem with Killer 7 and shouldn't even be brought into the discussion).
I can say with almost 10000.05% certainty that this wasn't at all the reason Killer7 didn't sell.

Pellham

Banned
Lobster said:
110+ million Ps2 WW, <100k Killer 7 sold.

GTFO of the thread.

And how many PS2 games are there again? Over 2000? How many Wii games are there again?

NMH had the luxury of being a niche title with no competition.

Also, people who don't understand why 100k sales is good for this game are just not using their brains.

Pellham said:
And how many PS2 games are there again? Over 2000? How many Wii games are there again?

NMH had the luxury of being a niche title with no competition.

Also, people who don't understand why 100k sales is good for this game are just not using their brains.
There are also more Wii games out now than the other two consoles right now. Shovelware perhaps, but they outnumber any other console this generation right now.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Safe Bet said:
I agree it is nice that Suda made a game without losing money.

But come the fuck on...

Less than 500,000 in sales is not a "blockbuster" by any means.

This would be why the thread title says "sells well" and not "shatters box office records like a train driven by a rabid bull crashing through a china shop filled with dynamite."

NMH's budget was right in the mid-range PS2 game area, and it has apparently sold almost 300,000 copies worldwide. Considering 100,000 used to be the criterion for a game to be a modest success, I'd say NMH has done very well for itself.

It's not about a third party game selling on the Wii, it's not about casual vs. hardcore, it's about one of the most experimental and original game designers on the planet finally seeing some of his hard work pay off. Some of you people are insufferable.

Davidion

Oh, and there's all of a couple of people in this thread who said that the sales numbers were "*insert your overenthusiastic adjective here* SALES!" Every other positive response is in the tone of: "that's great news, he deserved it, maybe we can get a sequel or something".

Good job you captains of thread critics, you.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
1. good games deserve good sales.
2. this is a positive development that may or may not disprove prevailing theorys about the userbase.
3. there are a lot more twits about that usual in the past few days. weird.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
PantherLotus said:
2. this is a positive development that may or may not disprove prevailing theorys about the userbase.

NPDs

Rhindle said:
It's not even in the Top 25 for the month, so I can say with great assurance that it did not sell 100K copies.

i dont think the link that alkaline posted was talking just the month of jan that is reported in npd but up to this point, including half feb as well.

also looking forward to hearing suda's reaction to this. hopefully it means a wii sequel

nli10

PantherLotus said:

1. yup

2. the titles legs & euro sales will help if they exist

I'm still on the fence about this one, mainly due to time to play Wii atm.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
also 260k x 50 = 13 mil (I think) anyone know what the budget/marketing for this game cost?

if it was really "low budget" 13 mil definately seems like a profitable number, so grats Suda

Kodiak said:
also 260k x 50 = 13 mil (I think) anyone know what the budget/marketing for this game cost?

if it was really "low budget" 13 mil definately seems like a profitable number, so grats Suda

They don't make $50 off of a game. Quite a bit lower actually.

Meier

bluheim said:
Is that supposed to be good ? I thought Uncharted was bombing, according to NeoGAF standards...

The marquee title for a console at Christmas.. vs a niche title released to die essentially in January. Excellent comparison.

The Faceless Master said:
100k for a niche title on a relatively small budget?

yes.

independent music artists sell 100K units, but their album budgets are nowhere near what NMH was.

i'd say 100K is piss-poor for a game with a multi-million dollar development and marketing campaign.

Barkley's Justice said:
independent music artists sell 100K units, but their album budgets are nowhere near what NMH was.

i'd say 100K is piss-poor for a game with a multi-million dollar development and marketing campaign.

Ok, but what does that have to do with NMH?

HK-47 said:
One can only hope, though we'll be hearing about it from Sony fans until Nintendo and MS get their supply in order
Why won't anyone listen to me. The Wii was never seen in the wild for the first two weeks of January.

Meier

Barkley's Justice said:

Hey, I've got an idea... let's compare a $10 CD to a $50 game. Score!

Barkley's Justice said:

And yet they are chalking it up as a win.

Though it could just be because they sold 140,000 units counting Japan and America, and are going to hit at least another 100,000 in Europe giving NMH the largest opening of any Suda game ever. It will likely end up at a higher number then any of their other titles, which is a good thing for them.

yoopoo

Banned
"i'd say 100K is piss-poor for a game with a multi-million dollar development and marketing campaign."

Super lol. So releasing a game=marketing campaign?

nightside

Barkley's Justice said:

this just doesn't fit at all with NMH...probably the most expensive thing in worldwide marketing campaing was the toilet paper.

Christine

nightside said:
this just doesn't fit at all with NMH...probably the most expensive thing in worldwide marketing campaing was the toilet paper.

Toilet paper isn't free, you know. Just saying. You know.

MisterHero

Barkley's Justice said:

The US didn't get any NMH toilet paper. :(

JDSN

Banned
Barkley's Justice said:

What the fuck are you talking about?

Ubisoft had so little faith in this game that they were extremely surprised when Nintendo Power decided to feature it, that says a lot about the marketing campaign they had.

Vinci

Danish
JDSN said:
Ubisoft had so little faith in this game that they were extremely surprised when Nintendo Power decided to feature it, that says a lot about the marketing campaign they had.

Ubisoft has continued to show extreme stupidity and poor judgement when it comes to the games they release and how to properly take care of them.

And seriously, folks, what's with all the FAILURE in so many of these posts? Jesus, have a little perspective that doesn't in some way cast this success in a bad light: 'Cause, honestly, there's no viable reason short of fucking insanity to downgrade what happened for this game.

Top Bottom