• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No More Heroes sells well and Suda cries tears of joy

wsippel

Banned
Dever said:
Wow at the hate in this thread. :|

Btw, do you think Suda might change his 360 plans and instead make a Ps3 game if NMH sells over 160k in Europe? He's said quite a few times that the target audience for NMH is North America, and his next game will be on 360 because that is the more popular console there. If NMH sells the best in Europe, he might instead make his game for the Ps3 because of how well it's doing there. Just a thought.
Thing is, his next game isn't on 360, anyway. It's on DS (FSR). The game after that will be on Wii again (Fatal Frame), and the game after that seems to be a Wii game as well (confirmed to be in development at GDC 2007). He's planning a 360 game - for about two years now.

wsippel said:
Thing is, his next game isn't on 360, anyway. It's on DS (FSR). The game after that will be on Wii again (Fatal Frame), and the game after that seems to be a Wii game as well (confirmed to be in development at GDC 2007). He's planning a 360 game - for about two years now.

If not more. As he said in a recent interview, he hasn't even really started on the game, it's all just in planning stages.

phalestine

aka iby.h
bluheim said:
20 millions Wii Worldwide. 500 000 NMH in the end and in the best case scenario. I'll let you do the math.

umm this has to be the stupidest statement ever.

what you are saying all games are esstially flops right. cause I mean the ps2 sold about 100 million. how many ps2 games do you know sold 100 million or even close. yeah thought so.

stuminus3

Great news for Suda, and great news for Suda fans. Shame on all you party poopers. Shame on you and your sad little lives. "Your" kind enjoy Wii, too. Get over it.

v1cious

Banned
Dever said:
Wow at the hate in this thread. :|

Btw, do you think Suda might change his 360 plans and instead make a Ps3 game if NMH sells over 160k in Europe? He's said quite a few times that the target audience for NMH is North America, and his next game will be on 360 because that is the more popular console there. If NMH sells the best in Europe, he might instead make his game for the Ps3 because of how well it's doing there. Just a thought.

why are Nintendo fans always so quick to jump to the defense? it's just really confusing that everyone's jumping for joy over 100,000 sales. reminds me of the current NPD thread.

v1cious said:
why are Nintendo fans always so quick to jump to the defense? it's just really confusing that everyone's jumping for joy over 100,000 sales. reminds me of the current NPD thread.

Why are idiots so quick to bash the Wii and its games? It goes both ways. 100K (as said a thousand times in this thread), is spectacular for a game like No More Heroes, and pretty much makes it Suda's best selling game. A feet that even his PS2 games couldn't pull off.

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

I knew it would do OK, so much for the haters declaring it a failure after the JPN release and saying no Wii fans anywhere will buy it cause they are too teh casuals. :lol

You can still harp on about how waggle ran over your foot and ruined your life though I suppose.

And the reason why 100K (and more by the sounds of it in Euro) is such a big deal is because people were SO DAMN SURE it had no chance at all before it had even come out in America.

Davidion

v1cious said:

Um, relative, vs. absolute success?

Unlike the nonsense in the NPD thread, the raving over NMH's success doesn't have in it logical holes a mile and a half wide.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
v1cious said:

IF this number is true it would be a very very big deal.

stuminus3

v1cious said:
...it's just really confusing that everyone's jumping for joy over 100,000 sales.
I see I was correct in my assumption that they no longer teach anything about "context" in schools anymore.

jgwhiteus

v1cious said:

It's expectations in line with budget, marketing and appeal. If a game like Halo 3 "only" sold 1 million copies, it would be considered an abysmal failure given its marketing and costs, despite the fact that thousands of games would kill for those sales figures. But when a game like Carnival Games sells 650K in the US, it's considered "exceeding expectations" given its budget and (non) hype.

NMH had a shoestring budget, and maybe Ubisoft had some sort of marketing push, but most posters on this board haven't seen it. Most retailers were unaware of the game when it first came out, and a lot of posters reported the limited stock being sold out. So for NMH to even approach the 100K figure (when much bigger games like Burnout Paradise from EA are at 140K and in the top 10 for January in the same timeframe) would be considered a "success", especially given the previous performance of Killer7 on GC and PS2.

McLovin

v1cious said:
These are good numbers and its a good game. Its not like they aren't going to sell anymore after today :/ 100k is a good sign the game will do well and keep selling down the line. Besides not every game can sell like SMG or SBB

Aeris130

v1cious said:

"Yay, Go Uncharted!"
"Looks like Uncharted...uncharted! Fufufu!!1!"

Everyone wants good games to sell. Or not sell, depending on console of choice.

I love this game. The combat is spectacular fun and it just bursts with style and quirkiness all around. I've had more fun with NMH than supposedly "better by several magnitude" games. Congrats to Suda and his team, I'm definitely waiting for more from them.

ivysaur12

Banned
I can't believe this. A completely niche, hardcore title with NO advertising released with one week left in January on the Wii sells over 100k in the US with about 300k world wide once it hits Europe.

Wow.

Congrats Suda. I still don't know how you did it, but you did.

sakuragi

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
Really?

Except for Metroid...

Zack and Wiki...

Resident Evil 4....

Trauma Centre: New Blood...

Fire Emblem...

etc

Yeah, you might want to work on expanding your collection. :p

- Didn't like Zack and Wiki. Its too kiddy for my taste. The main character and his side kick ruined the game for me.

- Hated Metriod prime 1 and 2 on the gamecube, didnt bother with part 3. ( too much fucking backtracking, even worse than zelda)

- Already played Resident evil 4 on the PS2 so..

-Played Trauma center and it was nice the first few levels and then got repetitive fast.

Lastly, I didn't get to play fire Emblem because I didnt played the other ones on the Gamecube. The PS2 satisfied all my hunger for that genre and even more. But I might check them out now.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
sakuragi said:
- Hated Metriod prime 1 and 2 on the gamecube, didnt bother with part 3. ( too much fucking backtracking, even worse than zelda)

MP3 is MUCH better in that regards, I feel. Instead of a series of 2-way elevators, you just need to get to your ship or call it down in a room where your ship can dock. You can then fly it to any other available docking area. It's like if you got on an elevator in Metroid Prime, and it let you go to any other elevator room in the game. Much more convenient and cuts down a lot of the backtracking.

sakuragi said:
-Played Trauma center and it wise nice the first few levels then got repetitive fast.
Oh man, you didn't even reach the actual game yet.

sakuragi said:
Lastly, I didn't get to play fire Emblem because I didnt played the other ones on the Gamecube. The PS2 satisfied all my hunger for that genre and even more. But I might check them out now.

It's an amazing series. If you like SRPGs, you simply have to play it. It's incredibly tough, has a fun and unique battle system, and excellent writing. Don't bother if you are anti-reading in video games though. There is a lot to read.

Also, I want to retract everything I said about third parties only encountering failures on the Wii. This is stunning. It's a big improvement over the PS2+GCN combined. Any fantard saying otherwise ought to be banned.
bluheim

Soule

ivysaur12 said:
I can't believe this. A completely niche, hardcore title with NO advertising released with one week left in January on the Wii sells over 100k in the US with about 300k world wide once it hits Europe.

Wow.

Congrats Suda. I still don't know how you did it, but you did.
Are we sure the 100k is from NPD? I was under the impression that the 100k included some sales going into February.

gkryhewy

Aeris130 said:
"Yay, Go Uncharted!"
"Looks like Uncharted...uncharted! Fufufu!!1!"

Everyone wants good games to sell. Or not sell, depending on console of choice.

Pathetic. Stow your bitter tears, and think a little bit about context.

sakuragi

Banned
Rancid Mildew said:
It's an amazing series. If you like SRPGs, you simply have to play it. It's incredibly tough, has a fun and unique battle system, and excellent writing. Don't bother if you are anti-reading in video games though. There is a lot to read.

Also, I want to retract everything I said about third parties only encountering failures on the Wii. This is stunning. It's a big improvement over the PS2+GCN combined. Any fantard saying otherwise ought to be banned.
bluheim

Sure. Will do. I love tough games.

Safe Bet

Banned
How much did Calling All Cars sell?

I remember it being called a bomb despite the game's low cost of development...

Are we going to use "profit margin" to measure success now?

Sales-Age Confirmed

Monk

Banned
v1cious said:

Because Wii games need a total of 200k max TOTAL for it to be a success. The 360 and PS3 games need 500k TOTAL.

Safe Bet

Banned
HK-47 said:
Man we got some super retards in here.

Congrats Suda
If the sales numbers are true, I am sure everyone is glad Suda made a profitable game.

What people are getting defensive about is the mediocre sales numbers of NMH being blown into something they aren't.

Danielsan

Monk said:
Because Wii games need a total of 200k max TOTAL for it to be a success. The 360 and PS3 games need 500k TOTAL.
So? It sold over 260k. Besides it's a Suda/Grasshopper game. Incredibly niche and lowbudget production. These numbers are outstanding.

Safe Bet said:
If the sales numbers are true, I am sure everyone is glad Suda made a profitable game.

What people are getting defensive about is the mediocre sales numbers of NMH being blown into something they aren't.

Here we go again...
In the same thread, at that.

Soule

ivysaur12 said:
Oh, really? Never mind then.
No I'm really not sure lol, that was just my initial reaction. I had forgotten about NPD and when I came on GAF I read this thread first and moved to NPD afterwards so I didn't put it together that way.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Safe Bet said:

Mediocre by what standard? For a Suda project this a huge success. No one thought NMH would sell this well

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
This is good news. It shows that if you release a game that actually plays well to go along with your style, it'll have a better chance to sell (which was the problem with Killer 7 and shouldn't even be brought into the discussion).

Safe Bet

Banned
HK-47 said:
Mediocre by what standard? For a Suda project this a huge success. No one thought NMH would sell this well
I agree it is nice that Suda made a game without losing money.

But come the fuck on...

Less than 500,000 in sales is not a "blockbuster" by any means.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Safe Bet said:

I mean as a gamer that's what I really care about, profit margins.
I think people are happy that a good game designer was able to sell a good game, in comparison to his previous good games which sold poorly.

Mashing

Safe Bet said:

I mean as a gamer that's what I really care about, profit margins.

Nice stealth edit.

If you don't care about these sorts of things, then what are you doing in this thread?

Soule

Safe Bet said:
Have none of his previous games been significantly profitable? No, I'm not being sarcastic I really don't know and if this is his first truly successful game, if so then all the more reason for kudos.

Safe Bet said:

But come the fuck on...

Less than 500,000 in sales is not a "blockbuster" by any means.

It's outdoing what the PS2+GCN accomplished tremendously (on the Wii?!?!) and Marvelous's own celebrations says it all.

Top Bottom