• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No More Heroes sells well and Suda cries tears of joy

Dascu said:
160k pre-orders for NMH in Europe?

Wow. This shows yet again, after the success of RE4Wii and Zack and Wiki, that Europe has the best and most hardcore Wii following. I am proud. Very, very proud.

Hell yeah!! Would you believe it.

Dascu said:
160k pre-orders for NMH in Europe?

Wow. This shows yet again, after the success of RE4Wii and Zack and Wiki, that Europe has the best and most hardcore Wii following. I am proud. Very, very proud.

For information, these are retailers preorders...Still, I'm agree that Europe could very well be by a fair margin the best region for this game.

D.Lo

Stormbringer said:
Now that I think about it, could it be that the 100k number mentioned by the MMV boss "spilled" over the NPD period ? Apparently he didn't really mention which period this number covered... Once again, all we can do now is wait for the NPD numbers (and hope that the MMV boss mentions his damn source).
Good point, we are halfway through February. This could be 'shipped to retailer' (which usually does mean close to sold number for niche titles). Still good (awesome in fact), but may not show up in Jan NPD?

Dascu

Stormbringer said:
For information, these are retailers preorders...Still, I'm agree that Europe could very well be by a fair margin the best region for this game.
That's still pretty damn good. I hope Rising Star provides a good marketing campaign for NMH, as they said they would.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
You guys are really setting yourself up for disappointment when sonycowboy comes in and says that NMH really sold like 45K.

Dascu said:
That's still pretty damn good. I hope Rising Star provides a good marketing campaign for NMH, as they said they would.

Indeed, that's pretty encouraging. I hope they keep their promise as well. There really is some potential in this market for this game.

kizmah

These casual/hardcore discussions and bitter tears bullshit in every fucking Wii thread are getting really tiresome. Why can't people just get over the fact that Wii is selling to every market out there. Hardcores, casuals, children, elderly and everyone in between wants to own the console.

Nobody cares about new gen, next gen, last gen or what ever nerds on internet boards call it...except for the same nerds. Get over it so we can have some actual discussions about games for once, fuckheads.

hamzik said:
These casual/hardcore discussions and bitter tears bullshit in every fucking Wii thread are getting really tiresome. Why can't people just get over the fact that Wii is selling to every market out there. Hardcores, casuals, children, elderly and everyone in between wants to own the console.

Nobody cares about new gen, next gen, last gen or what ever nerds on internet boards call it...except for the same nerds. Get over it so we can have some actual discussions about games for once, fuckheads.
A little Travis Touchdown reference huh?

swerve

Nuclear Muffin said:
Why can't a Jgaffer come in and give us a proper translation?

"Yesterday, we had a launch party for the Wii game, No More Heroes.

Although here (Japan) it's only shipped 40,000, in America it already broken through 100,000 sell-through. In Europe the game ships in March but it's already received 160,000 orders. Worldwide, we're thinking we'd like to break 500,000 now.

At the party, the boss of Famitsu came along to present a gold award. It's a big deal that he came all this way."

The rest goes on to say that he also met up with a friend from Sega whom he hadn't seen for ages, and then he details his arrangements for today and the immediate future (very busy all weekend and next week), and so he's taking care to look after himself.

Eteric Rice

lsslave said:
Theory here:

The HARDCORE Wii owners (the NINTENDO FANBOYZ! lawlZ!...sorry >.<) seem to be supporting third party games that have actual effort maybe?

I mean... for those of us who 'only buy Nintendo games' maybe there are others like me who have become savvy and buy the best games released on the system (in genres we like)

for another system NMH would be lost in the waves of other releases, for the Wii it has a very avid fanbase who are aching for great games compared to what the 'big' western publishers give us it seems ^_^

This is what I do.

I still have to buy Dewey's and Zack & Wiki though. I'm a poor bastard. :(

It's possible that NMH didn't reach 100K in January but has already reached 100K since in February.

I guess we'll find out the truth tomorrow.

Dascu

swerve said:
"Yesterday, we had a launch party for the Wii game, No More Heroes.

Although here (Japan) it's only shipped 40,000, in America it already broken through 100,000 sell-through. In Europe the game ships in March but it's already received 160,000 orders. Worldwide, we're thinking we'd like to break 500,000 now.

At the party, the boss of Famitsu came along to present a gold award. It's a big deal that he came all this way."

The rest goes on to say that he also met up with a friend from Sega whom he hadn't seen for ages, and then he details his arrangements for today and the immediate future (very busy all weekend and next week), and so he's taking care to look after himself.
Thanks. Well, it looks like they're happy with the sales. Good good.

Acosta

I'm not even going to read random posts because I'm sure there is another silly system wars in any form running.

I am just here to say that I feel happy for Suda and his team, hope this makes his position safer and can keep offering different and unique games.

thefro

Great sales considering Ubisoft never pushed the game at all beyond online/gamer mags. Probably would have made the NPD top 10 if not for the Wii Plays and 8 different versions of Guitar Hero.

dkeane

Awesome! I'm about halfway through the game and loving it. Once of the best Wii control uses. Need more Suda! I noticed on the grasshopper website they're looking for another Wii programmer. Yes please.

KINGMOKU

Why is everyone wondering wether or not it sold 100,000 copies in the States?

It did, period. If he says it did, it did. They had parties and everything.

Unless of course, some of you think that it went down like this;

"Hey Suda check the site that shall not be named, for the most up-to-date bullshit numbers, instead of our own internal tracking numbers, and retail connections to get proper sell thru numbers"

The game sold exactly what he said it sold. My guess is that it will end up right around 1million lifetime, maybe more.

I am picking it up next week.

Redd

I don't know I'd much rather celebrate when the numbers can be confirmed. If so one of the sales was by me so I did my part, fun fun game.

tabsina

Baiano19 said:
Ok, if this turns out to be actually ioi´s number that the president got, I would hereby declare war against that fucking site...

I never understand why people hated that site before, but now it´s personal! :mad:

any idea on when NPD would confirm/refute it? just saying.. wait for the confirm before 'war' :p

Dascu

moku said:
Why is everyone wondering wether or not it sold 100,000 copies in the States?

It did, period. If he says it did, it did. They had parties and everything.

Unless of course, some of you think that it went down like this;

"Hey Suda check the site that shall not be named, for the most up-to-date bullshit numbers, instead of our own internal tracking numbers, and retail connections to get proper sell thru numbers"

The game sold exactly what he said it sold. My guess is that it will end up right around 1million lifetime, maybe more.

I am picking it up next week.
:lol :lol :lol

I really want it to sell a lot too, but a million is just impossible.

Davidion

Dascu said:
:lol :lol :lol

I really want to sell a lot too, but a million is just impossible.

Yeah that's pushing it a bit. :lol

Good news for the game though, it's a shame that this didn't get an initial full months of sales.

Oh, and comparing sales of this title (in a week and a half) to Uncharted. :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol If that's not desperation, I don't know what is. Why not go back into your sales threads and continue your epic struggle for sloppy seconds?

Dever

Banned
Wow at the hate in this thread. :|

Btw, do you think Suda might change his 360 plans and instead make a Ps3 game if NMH sells over 160k in Europe? He's said quite a few times that the target audience for NMH is North America, and his next game will be on 360 because that is the more popular console there. If NMH sells the best in Europe, he might instead make his game for the Ps3 because of how well it's doing there. Just a thought.

birdchili

swerve's translation said:
we're thinking we'd like to break 500,000 now.
that sort-of sounds like a "better than expected" comment.

i am, of course happy to see profitable sit-down-and-play-for-a-while games succeed on wii, but i'm also really keen to see it become a system of wild experimentation and strangeness; somewhere where eccentric and only slightly sane designers can really cut loose, making a go of things financially with a "garage" team of talent and some new ideas.

hamzik said:

Agreed, it's wearing so thin, but the more you complain the more muppets post things like;

"smash bros. brawl a casual game confirmed"

aaarrrghhh!

jgwhiteus

Regardless of where the 100K figure came from or if it reflects January's sales or sales up to mid-February, the 40K and 160K retailer orders are certain to be correct since they're internal (and we can assume he knows that it shipped a minimum of 100K in the US if he can talk about a 100K sell-through without pause). That brings the total shipment already to 300K.

Didn't someone say in the other thread that Killer7 on GC and PS2 shipped a combined total of 300K copies lifetime (with the assumption that a lot of those copies went unsold)? NMH has already reached that figure. Any way you cut it, it's more successful than Killer7 was, with the potential to be much more successful (within reasonable expectations, of course). So he has reason to celebrate no matter what the US figure turns out to be.

Excellent news. It can't be said enough: this game really deserves it. I'm only at the rank 6 fight right now, but after Mario Galaxy, this is by far the most fun I've had with the system.

Without knowing how it ends, I don't know if I'd want a true sequel. NMH feels so fresh and creative that I think it should stand on it's own. That being said, I would absolutely love to see another game starring Travis Touchdown on any system Suda wants to develop it for.

sakuragi

Banned
Congratulations to Suda. This game is really underrated and deserves more love/sales. Its one of my top three Wii games behind Zelda the twilight princess and Mario galaxy. Too bad the rest of the Wii games suck.

JDSN

Banned
Congrats, hopefully his next game wont be published by such a shitty company like Ubisoft, you know a company is doing a shitty job when one person is doing a better advertising campaign than them.

Oh right, his next game is published by Nintendo. :D

And this isnt getting a sequel for quite a while, at least not directed by him.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Easilly one of the best games on Wii and of 2008 so far.

Oh and Japan officially is rendered meaningless in the gaming stratum. Jerks!

Well...

Good for Suda!

America seems to have picked up the GCN Core gamer, and Japan seems to be little more then Casual land. Europe I think is gaining a wide selection of Core gamers, and casual.

Good for Suda though.

After... every single one of his games ended up so freakishly low, I'm glad to see that his wares can sell.

sakuragi said:
Congratulations to Suda. This game is really underrated and deserves more love/sales. Its one of my top three Wii games behind Zelda the twilight princess and Mario galaxy. Too bad the rest of the Wii games suck.

Really?

Except for Metroid...

Zack and Wiki...

Resident Evil 4....

Trauma Centre: New Blood...

Fire Emblem...

etc

Yeah, you might want to work on expanding your collection. :p

Redd

Dever said:
Wow at the hate in this thread. :|

Btw, do you think Suda might change his 360 plans and instead make a Ps3 game if NMH sells over 160k in Europe? He's said quite a few times that the target audience for NMH is North America, and his next game will be on 360 because that is the more popular console there. If NMH sells the best in Europe, he might instead make his game for the Ps3 because of how well it's doing there. Just a thought.

He could just make it multiplatform title for the PS3/360. He can sell well in both North America and Europe.

YES numbers confirmed!!! Great news!!! Congratulations Suda! I'm so freaking giddy right now! :D

Now if those Europe preorders are real, then holy shit!

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
FTWer said:
100,000 is now good?
that's 2 weeks in january for a game that was only publicized by the internetz and it's packaging. i'd call that pretty good.

i think i may just do my little internet dance anyway :D

jonezer4

bluheim said:
20 millions Wii Worldwide. 500 000 NMH in the end and in the best case scenario. I'll let you do the math.

Shit, NMH could sell 5 million games and even then, with this ridiculous logic, you could argue "ONly 1 out of 4 Wii oWners is teh hardc0rez."

Evander

"industry expert"
TJ Spyke said:
Game publishers (at least in financial reports) list shipped numbers and say they are sold.

That's because they ARE.

Game publishers sell their games to retailers. The retail figures are irrelevant to their financial reports.

Top Bottom