• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No new Final Fantasy XIV trailer at E3, moved to August instead

Gamescom gets almost no press coverage in the US, it's not a press event, so it's useless for getting the word out to non-hardcore gamers. It's similar to if they used PAX to show it all off, it's like exactly what Square said they are trying to avoid, not getting the word out to new customers.

Look at it this way: Blizzard and Valve both attend GamesCom with a massive booth and both get a lot of traction there. GamesCom is probably better for PC/MMO stuff, to be honest.

If the news is a big enough splash then of course people will cover it; Sony announced PS3 price-drops at GamesCom. EA announced things like FIFA Street. Bioware unveiled the release date of The Old Republic at Eurogamer Expo and that got coverage everywhere. If the announcement is good or big enough, they will come anyway. This criticism is really moot.

The question I have is if SE have the faith in this product, even rebuilt, to give it the heavy push to make publications want to cover it. The fact it's pretty much absent from E3 in any real way and the fact it is now in the same quarter as Tomb Raider dents my faith in them really getting behind it; Version 2.0 may end up being an exercise of pride/brand solidarity more than turning the game into the profits machine XI was.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Clearly they're just trying to follow their own advice.

squareenixwisdomoqcki.png

Mario007

Look at it this way: Blizzard and Valve both attend GamesCom with a massive booth and both get a lot of traction there. GamesCom is probably better for PC/MMO stuff, to be honest.

If the news is a big enough splash then of course people will cover it; Sony announced PS3 price-drops at GamesCom. EA announced things like FIFA Street. Bioware unveiled the release date of The Old Republic at Eurogamer Expo and that got coverage everywhere. If the announcement is good or big enough, they will come anyway. This criticism is really moot.

Not to mention the announcements of ME2 for ps3 or Resistance 3 in the past. Gamescon is a huge conference, usually PC heavy but Sony is trying to use it to promote ps games more and more too.

Stuart444

The question I have is if SE have the faith in this product, even rebuilt, to give it the heavy push to make publications want to cover it. The fact it's pretty much absent from E3 in any real way and the fact it is now in the same quarter as Tomb Raider dents my faith in them really getting behind it; Version 2.0 may end up being an exercise of pride/brand solidarity more than turning the game into the profits machine XI was.

I think even if they had a lot of faith in it and it got a lot of marketing, it still wouldn't do any good.

It's still known as Final Fantasy XIV, it's still known as the game that was critically panned by most reviewers and that type of thing is just not something that is easy to get rid of.

I don't see it doing as well as they want it to and I don't see it lasting anywhere near as long as FFXI. I also don't see them making it F2P so I just don't see it lasting at all even with this version 2.0 stuff.

Cmagus

I doubt they will release it this year let alone holiday it would be suicide.I mean it's great that Yoshi can keep making these speeches ensuring everyone but at this point his words are nothing more than what people want to hear and they never deliver the majority of what their "road map" lays out. This "we don't want to trickle yadda yadaa" is nothing new from these guys.Another day another lame excuse because they can't deliver what they promised.

Teknoman

I still think 2.0 is hitting this year, at least for people that are already on the PC version. Sure, they might hit a week or two after what they usually have in the timeline, but they still hit marks within a decent amount of time.

Honestly i'm just glad Yoshi and company have managed to pull the game out of the deep hole it was in, or at least their right on the edge now. The people retrying it in its current state are actually enjoying themselves, at least according to that welcome back thread and a few conversations in game. But yeah, alot of us who have stuck around are getting impatient for the "true" XIV to make its arrival.

Munba

Mmh,

we came to the conclusion that the most effective way to introduce version 2.0 to the world would be with a flood of new material rather than just a trickle.

Well, the public release of version 2.0 is set to kickoff with this year’s E3 in Los Angeles. We also plan to unveil a brand new promotion site for version 2.0 soon after E3 ends.

So we'll have the begin of information flood at E3 instead of only a simple trailer. Not so bad after all..

DJIzana

Leaves me to wonder what, if anything, Square Enix Japan will unveil.

I'm still looking forward to see what FFXIV 2.0 eventually and even if it's not there, Sleeping Dogs will be. That's one title I've really got my eyes on from Square Enix & United Front Games.

Teknoman

Mmh,

So we'll have the begin of information flood at E3 instead of only a simple trailer. Not so bad after all..

Thats the way i'm looking at it. Honestly i'd rather have alot of new info and screenshots to check out, and then the trailer later.

Kientin

As long as they release 2.0 and the ps3 version on time I don't really care how they release their information. Getting it dumped on all at once could be fun though.

It's still known as Final Fantasy XIV, it's still known as the game that was critically panned by most reviewers and that type of thing is just not something that is easy to get rid of.
Actually, I'm pretty sure it's getting a new name that will be announced as part of the trailer. Oh, it'll still be Final Fantasy XIV, but it'll be something like Final Fantasy XIV Refresh: The Rise of King Sephiroth.

Midou

Actually, I'm pretty sure it's getting a new name that will be announced as part of the trailer. Oh, it'll still be Final Fantasy XIV, but it'll be something like Final Fantasy XIV Refresh: The Rise of King Sephiroth.

I think it will just be sold as FFXIV 2.0 or something, and use that in adverts, maybe even re-brand the box.

Raoh

Another failed attempt.

Just like socom, all we wanted was a better updated FFXI, FFXIV sucked on pc, spent extra too on the early release with the early week playtime etc. Money thrown away.

Haven't tried the new redesign of FFXIV yet but i'm keeping my expectations low.

Well, if we're lucky they might announce 3 new games that wont come out for 8-10 years.

I know its been said to death, but I miss the Square of old :(

I think it will just be sold as FFXIV 2.0 or something, and use that in adverts, maybe even re-brand the box.
There's no way they'd be that stupid even after this stupidity. 2.0 is a complete rewrite of a failed game that's been out for 2 years, a complete re-release as if it's an all-new game, they know they have to make the point that this isn't the same game. Just calling it 2.0 would be doing what they said they don't want to do, market to only existing players.

I seriously don't understand how such an inept company can be so successful.

They had built up a lot of good will by making great games for tens of years.

I'm not sure how they're looked at in Japan, but in the US is seems like the hardcore now think of them as a joke, and the casual have completely forgotten they exist.

Allard

I doubt they will release it this year let alone holiday it would be suicide.I mean it's great that Yoshi can keep making these speeches ensuring everyone but at this point his words are nothing more than what people want to hear and they never deliver the majority of what their "road map" lays out. This "we don't want to trickle yadda yadaa" is nothing new from these guys.Another day another lame excuse because they can't deliver what they promised.

Exactly what have they promised on any of their new road-maps that they haven't kept yet besides a couple small content patch delays (Which are now all up to date outside of job weapons) and now this E3 FMV trailer they talked about 9 months ago and actually did finish but aren't releasing yet?

I'm disappointed about them not showing the new trailer but its not like it was a delay because it wasn't ready, they delayed because they didn't feel it was worthy enough of a grand new reveal to the larger public. Yoshida even cautioned he wasn't sure gameplay would be ready on time for E3 when 2.0 was first announced and he doesn't like FMV only stuff as show piece for these new reveals which I agree with him on. They are still opening a promotional site, Yoshida is still heading to E3 so something new will happen there (Interview, maybe even a live producer letter who knows, he hasn't done new interviews in a while so that will be good for some of us who are still playing). Honestly I was looking more forward to the new promotional site launching then the trailer because that means they are going to start the weekly trickle of new 2.0 info on the site like they did with the original launch and all their FFXI expansions.

Its more then likely going to be FFXIV: A Realm Reborn. Square-enix trademarked the name back in April and it included website url's in multiple languages. arealmreborn.net(com). The legacy campaign ends with "Gather once more and witness a realm reborn"

Kisaya

Hitman
Sleeping Dogs
Tomb Raider
Heroes of Ruin
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy
Kingdom Hearts 3D

What a lame lineup, could have really taken the spotlight if there was some FFXIV or Versus in there. It's even more annoying that Nomura makes it seem like he's working hard to get Versus done with holding off KH3, but then has these other lame KH titles coming out one after another.

Ugh, Square Enix. Uggghhh...

They had built up a lot of good will by making great games for tens of years.

I'm not sure how they're looked at in Japan, but in the US is seems like the hardcore now think of them as a joke, and the casual have completely forgotten they exist.
...and yet the US review scores of their Final Fantasy games are still very high, and they still sell many millions of every Final Fantasy game they make.... the only recent FF game that didn't do exceptionally well was FFXIII-2, and that's more because it's a sequel, not what people consider a main FF title (and that still did over 1.5 million).

Teknoman

Its probably going to be:

Final Fantasy XIV: A realm reborn, since they trademarked the tag awhile back.

Another failed attempt.

Just like socom, all we wanted was a better updated FFXI, FFXIV sucked on pc, spent extra too on the early release with the early week playtime etc. Money thrown away.

Haven't tried the new redesign of FFXIV yet but i'm keeping my expectations low.

Its close to a better/faster paced XI system as things are now. Still improving things, but that is where the game stands now...as far as gameplay mechanics go. Its got some other additions like actually being able to move out of the way of certain attacks/using terrain to block things.

StuBurns

Banned
...and yet the US review scores of their Final Fantasy games are still very high, and they still sell many millions of every Final Fantasy game they make.... the only recent FF game that didn't do exceptionally well was FFXIII-2, and that's more because it's a sequel, not what people consider a main FF title (and that still did over 1.5 million).
FFXIV didn't do 'exceptionally well', and it certainly wasn't well received by the media. FFXIII-2's drop off was considerably harsher than that of FFX's direct sequel.

I don't actually think it'll matter in the long run. If and when SE bring top quality games called Final Fantasy, I do believe there will be no real sign of fanbase corrosion.

FFXIV didn't do 'exceptionally well', and it certainly wasn't well received by the media. FFXIII-2's drop off was considerably harsher than that of FFX's direct sequel.

I don't actually think it'll matter in the long run. If and when SE bring top quality games called Final Fantasy, I do believe there will be no real sign of fanbase corrosion.

This is pretty much how I feel too. There are many fans (like me) who keep buying Final Fantasy games hoping that this time they recapture the magic. This is probably why the games still sell pretty well. And I think there are many other fans out there just waiting to hear great things about a FF game again before pouncing on it.

I said "recent". My point was that they obviously aren't seen as a joke by some and ignored by the rest, because people are still buying their games in droves even after the failure of FFXIV. Sure, some people here somehow think that FFXIII was a failure, but it still sold tons, got high reviews, people in general liked it.

Midou

There's no way they'd be that stupid even after this stupidity. 2.0 is a complete rewrite of a failed game that's been out for 2 years, a complete re-release as if it's an all-new game, they know they have to make the point that this isn't the same game. Just calling it 2.0 would be doing what they said they don't want to do, market to only existing players.

The way I saw it, it could have been like, oh people know FFXIV sucks, but 2.0 implies a whole new version, people understand the significance of a full version release for the most part. If they just slap on a subtitle, it may confuse consumers, make them assume it's just an add-on or something for an already shit game.

Jijidasu

It would seem the game is still being exhibited, it's just the general wording of the letter makes it all a bit messy. It seems as though they purposely try to avoid any clarity to support either side in the letters, the Japanese letter is the same.

They mentioned Visual Works (CG team) being apart of the team who worked on the E3 trailer. Frankly, I'd much rather an in-engine gameplay trailer over another CG movie a la FFXIV 1.0.

Riposte

Can one of the kind mods in this thread please adjust the title in the Welcome back/Legacy campaign thread to reflect the fact that only accounts registered/made before May 31st are eligible for the Legacy campaign? (No real reason to include the Welcome back campaign, it's over).

I expect a slim XIII-3 announcement and a Type-0 localization for Vita. (EDIT: Oh, no announcements? Well, I don't have insider info, so what would I know?)

If there really is going to be some info and in-game footage to be had a e3 I actually prefer that over a cg trailer.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
SE usually announces some big games from Japan at E3, don't they? FFXII, FFXIII:FNC, FFXIV.

Maybe it's time for FFXV.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
It would seem the game is still being exhibited, it's just the general wording of the letter makes it all a bit messy. It seems as though they purposely try to avoid any clarity to support either side in the letters, the Japanese letter is the same.

They mentioned Visual Works (CG team) being apart of the team who worked on the E3 trailer. Frankly, I'd much rather an in-engine gameplay trailer over another CG movie a la FFXIV 1.0.
I enjoy anything Visual Works comes up with.

Jijidasu

I enjoy anything Visual Works comes up with.

As do I, but regardless of how breathtaking CG from SE's visual works can be, it does little to showcase the real game. I believe this to be quite important now as the original FFXIV was a monumental disaster.

If they are show anything at all it would have to be showcasing the game in an order of playability followed by visual prowess, rather than the opposite which has seemingly been their strategy thus far (this generation).

I'm not suggesting a gap between either, but rather than only a CG movie, a trailer representing the physical game would certainly be well received.

Jijidasu

Wow there is honestly a lot of media sites having a go at SE now.

Hopefully we'll get some community representatives in damage control soon. Gamerescape put it together the best I've seen yet, it really brings it together in just how ambiguous SE are being about the whole reveal.

Top Bottom