• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No new Final Fantasy XIV trailer at E3, moved to August instead

Mario007

Yeah but the way the game is progressing now, I think we will get something interesting. Yoshi is such a proud dad and FFXIV is his baby girl now so he can't wait to show her off XD

Well they literally have the trailer done, according to Yoshida. So basically they're just sitting on it to release it with more info. So the game is progressing according to schedule.

Glass Rebel

I feel bad for the people who care about the Japanese side of SE but it's become increasingly difficult for me to care about them when they still refuse to put anything from their Japanese branch on PC except a rushed MMORPG.

The way things are playing out now, namely Eidos benefitting from SE's cashflow and putting out a lot of interesting projects, is the best situation for me.

Mario007

Take away Eidos and what do you have left? 2 3DS games and 2 games that aren't very popular anyways.

That's like saying EA would have no RPGs if you take away Bioware...you can say that, you are right but you simply can't do it. Just as Bioware is an EA studio, Eidos Montreal, Crystal Dynamics, I/O Interactive, SE Montreal, 1st Production Department, 3rd Production Department (not sure if this one still exists...) are all SE studios.

Oh wow.... SE was so freaking smart and lucky buying Eidos, because seriously without them they are in a verrrrrry crappy position.

And this comes out from someone who used to be one of the biggest SE fanboys on the planet.

What a shame........

Mario007

I just think it's a terrible E3 lineup when Eidos has to carry them.

Once again, these are internal studios at this stage. SE finances them, hell they have the split the resources between these studios and their japanese studios (their first fruits of this buy-out are only coming out now as the games from Eidos are releasing). It only makes sense that SE wants to market the shit out of them.

As I've said, it's a great line-up, just not what you'd expect when you think Square-Enix.

Once again, these are internal studios at this stage. SE finances them, hell they have the split the resources between these studios and their japanese studios (their first fruits of this buy-out are only coming out now as the games from Eidos are releasing). It only makes sense that SE wants to market the shit out of them.

As I've said, it's a great line-up, just not what you'd expect when you think Square-Enix.

So far you are the only one I've seen saying it's a good lineup. That's fine for you but for me it's a terrible one and I'm not really excited about any of it since I don't have a 3DS. Tomb Raider is the only thing that I'll be interested in.

Unless they pull out a big surprise or something I'll consider this a bad E3 for SE.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Slightly disappointed, especially since I was close to grabbing it but decided to wait until E3 to see how it may actually turn out.

Mario007

So far you are the only one I've seen saying it's a good lineup. That's fine for you but for me it's a terrible one and I'm not really excited about any of it since I don't have a 3DS. Tomb Raider is the only thing that I'll be interested in.

Unless they pull out a big surprise or something I'll consider this a bad E3 for SE.

It's unquestionably a great line-up but we're in a thread about a Final Fantasy. Of course the fans of FF won't necessarily overlap with fans of Hitman or Tomb Raider or Sleeping Dogs (i.e. open world GTA-styled games). Simply two different demographics for those games.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The PS3 version is never releasing, sorry. Feel bad if people were holding out hope that since Square's E3 press release omitted FF 14, they must be keeping several other unannounced games close to the chest.

Then release FFXI on PS3. Not like they can't do it with the 360 version being nearly the same hardware (keyword: nearly. I know they aren't the same)

GopherD

I'm sorry, but there's very little about that line-up that screams great. As a long time SE fan, this is as bad a lineup as I've seen them put out in many years.

jimmypython

I think Valiant Saga: Final Fantasy will be there if rumors are true. Although it is not necessarily a game developed in Japan.

edit:
99c4ab3407fc67afa14fdb373f9c080b02a727d2.jpg

It's unquestionably a great line-up but we're in a thread about a Final Fantasy. Of course the fans of FF won't necessarily overlap with fans of Hitman or Tomb Raider or Sleeping Dogs (i.e. open world GTA-styled games). Simply two different demographics for those games.

Let's just agree to disagree since nobody's opinion is going to change here.

Mario007

I'm sorry, but there's very little about that line-up that screams great. As a long time SE fan, this is as bad a lineup as I've seen them put out in many years.

Once again you're an SE fan, thus proving my point. Hitman and Tomb Raider only recently became SE properties. That doesn't mean that both of those games don't look great, have quite some hype behind them (especially TR) and have a huge franchise history with lots of fans.

Mario007

They'll sell you XIII-3 as DLC chapters.

There will be no lube.

Enjoy.

HD version of Dirge of Cerberus incoming.

haha the only remake that has 'FFVII' in its name that SE will ever release.

Btw, their best bet would be to release it as a XIII-2 expansion actually. We'll never get the sales figures so no 'bomba' threads and thus more damage to FF brand and 'SE ruined FF' talk. It satisfies the fans of XIII-2 and won't take away too many resources. But that makes too much sense

Askani

It's such a shame. After playing XI for couple years I was really looking forward to spending a lot of time with XIV. Somehow it's just managed to let me down time and time again. I don't know why I can't stop paying attention to news about it.

Mario007

I think Valiant Saga: Final Fantasy will be there if rumors are true. Although it is not necessarily a game developed in Japan.

edit:
99c4ab3407fc67afa14fdb373f9c080b02a727d2.jpg

I just noticed the picture actually had an Eidos Montreal logo...they could have gone through a bit more effort to make this more trustworthy since that's a clear bullshit giveaway.

This means it is not going to muck up vanafest too thank god. This is good news. New expansion for XI LET'S GO!!

Too bad XI is doing absolutely nothing to bring in new blood. Hell, you pretty much have to have high-level friends to get anything done as a new player. It's very off-putting, and it's only going to go downhill from there unless they do something to revamp low level gameplay.

Yoshida has really turned XIV around. I'm having a lot of fun with it in its current form. It's a shame it won't have a big presence at E3, but we should at least get some new info!

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
haha the only remake that has 'FFVII' in its name that SE will ever release.

Btw, their best bet would be to release it as a XIII-2 expansion actually. We'll never get the sales figures so no 'bomba' threads and thus more damage to FF brand and 'SE ruined FF' talk. It satisfies the fans of XIII-2 and won't take away too many resources. But that makes too much sense

I actually bought the Crystal Edition of FF XIII-2, so I'm part of the problem :lol I haven't gotten around to playing it yet, but I really liked the demo. Not a huge fan of the nickel and diming DLC approach SE has taken towards XIII-2 though, even if it makes financial sense for them (I guess they need something to offset the losses incurred by FF XIV bombing and Vs XIII never coming out).

I'm still hoping for a HD version of FF XII, but since that's something people are actually asking for, SE will offer a Windows Mobile port of FF 8 instead.

Stuart444

I'd be okay with that. As long as it gives closure to the story, I'd be happy.

Mario007

I actually bought the Crystal Edition of FF XIII-2, so I'm part of the problem :lol I haven't gotten around to playing it yet, but I really liked the demo. Not a huge fan of the nickel and diming DLC approach SE has taken towards XIII-2 though, even if it makes financial sense for them (I guess they need something to offset the losses incurred by FF XIV bombing and Vs XIII never coming out).

I'm yet to buy it since me and my ps3 have been 8000km apart for the past half a year so I won't actually mind the DLC too much since the game will cost me only around 25 euro. I actually liked their DLC approach up until the story episodes. While they're priced reasonably (Lightning scenario is only like 3.50 euro) they could and should have put in more effort.

But I actually liked XIII too and if this one improves on it and does end the way people say it ends I'll be pissed off if I don't get some sort of a follow-up.

reminder

Please Sony, never again use any Square Enix games in the future for your press conference announcements. Either they go multiplat after years of development (FF XIII), or they are vaporware (versus XIII, FF XIV PS3). Really pathetic.

Stuart444

I'm still hoping for a HD version of FF XII, but since that's something people are actually asking for, SE will offer a Windows Mobile port of FF 8 instead.

I bought the Crystal Edition version myself... and I regret nothing (though I might regret it if they don't do a follow-up and give closure to it >_< )

However if they announced a port of FF8 for Windows Mobile, I'd rage (I like FF8 but porting it to windows mobile is just not needed >_< )

mclem

I wonder if there's any remote chance of an XV announcement in some (very early!) form.

I can think of dozens of good reasons *not* to do one, of course - Versus is still somewhere in a bizarre limbo, XIV needs to find its feet again, the FFX remake is due at some point (and that might be something they show off this E3 from the Japanese side of things and 'new') - but at the moment there's nothing really brewing in terms of 'normal' FF development, and a part of me thinks they'd like to at least acknowledge that XV will exist.

Further musings: Which department did the My Life As A... games, and what have they been working on lately?

Mario007

Please Sony, never again use any Square Enix games in the future for your press conference announcements. Either they go multiplat after years of development (FF XIII), or they are vaporware (versus XIII, FF XIV PS3). Really pathetic.

Versus and FF XIV aren't vaporware anymore though. FF XIV has a tentative release date and Versus gameplay footage and confirmation of development was issued last year.

I bought the Crystal Edition version myself... and I regret nothing (though I might regret it if they don't do a follow-up and give closure to it >_< )

However if they announced a port of FF8 for Windows Mobile, I'd rage (I like FF8 but porting it to windows mobile is just not needed >_< )

Haha here's a port of FF on a platform pretty much no one uses...yeah, sounds like SE :p

I wonder if there's any remote chance of an XV announcement in some (very early!) form.

I can think of dozens of good reasons *not* to do one, of course - Versus is still somewhere in a bizarre limbo, XIV needs to find its feet again, the FFX remake is due at some point (and that might be something they show off this E3 from the Japanese side of things and 'new') - but at the moment there's nothing really brewing in terms of 'normal' FF development, and a part of me thinks they'd like to at least acknowledge that XV will exist.

Further musings: Which department did the My Life As A... games, and what have they been working on lately?

I'd say they are pretty far along with XV development but will wait till next year to reveal it, then info blitz and release for Christmas.

I think My Life as A... games were outsourced with SE people being development leads (kinda like TWEWY or the KH DS games)

Top Bottom