• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No new Final Fantasy XIV trailer at E3, moved to August instead

RPGCrazied

We're suppose to get some type of Kingdom Hearts news. He said "pretty soon", in that last interview. I can only assume it'll come out around E3. He said its not a Vita game, nor is it BBS Vol. 2 or KH 3DS final mix. It has to be KH 3 or KH collection, but I have this strong feeling its going to be another spin-off title. Blergh. Other than that, they have some slim pickings at E3 this year it looks like.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Good job SE. Good job on not knowing how to put your game in the spotlight in some form.

They will show it to a closed room of 20 people who can't record it and then debut the trailer 2 months after ><

It better make a splash at GC.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
What are the odds of getting another great quote like this?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=433429

It's pretty bad when people from the Japanese branch openly admits to being ashamed of what a shitty mess they've become in regards to home consoles.

I know right? How dare they make a sequel to the number one selling PS3 game in Japan! How dare they make DLC that sold very well. How DARE THEY!

C'mon. This thread is already sliding into SE hater territory.

Sales != quality. I like FF XIII for what it is, but there's no denying the Western fanbase for the FF franchise has been.. rather hostile towards FF XIII, and even moreso for FF XIII-2, a sequel that seemingly offended a lot of people just by existing, since it has generally been considered a sequel that people neither asked for nor wanted (I don't mind it personally though).

Toth

That's certainly a possibility since SE loves giving people what no one asked for or wanted.

I know right? How dare they make a sequel to the number one selling PS3 game in Japan! How dare they make DLC that sold very well. How DARE THEY!

C'mon. This thread is already sliding into SE hater territory.

Go_Ly_Dow

The way XIII-2 ended, they better announce a XIII-3. As much as I hate the XIII world and characters, I still want resolution to the story.

novels!

I don't recall ever hearing such a thing.

i'm a expecting a quick confirmation of a western release at the conference, but no on stage media.

What are the odds of getting another great quote like this?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=433429

honour and shame?

oh my god, he was right!

Asked this a few weeks ago, Kagari, but you probably know a bit more now, so: You sure SE isn't scheduling any press time for unannounced games that could be revealed during the first parties' press conferences, as with KH3D two years ago? Pathetic if true.

Well I'm definitely gonna have to depend on other studios for good gaming news because I don't think we are gonna get any of out SE Japan this year.

My point is over 4.3 million people didn't return for the sequel to XIII and I highly doubt everyone who played XIII-2 would return for a third installment. What is the point?

kuroshiki

The way XIII-2 ended, they better announce a XIII-3. As much as I hate the XIII world and characters, I still want resolution to the story.

What makes you think 13-3 will bring the resolution of the story?

I mean why do you care about story in the first place? it was shitty story.

My point is over 4.3 million people didn't return for the sequel to XIII and I highly doubt everyone who played XIII-2 would return for a third installment. What is the point?

Easy engine and asset reuse for a title that would likely at least be profitable seems like a decent point to me.

I don't think they will make it, but I won't be part of any theoretical shitstorm if they do.

kuroshiki

I have every final fantasy main line every created except 13 series.

and I don't feel sorry or miss anything.

Heck I even bought disaster called 14.

What makes you think 13-3 will bring the resolution of the story?

I mean why do you care about story in the first place? it was shitty story.

I liked 13's story. It's not the best, as it suffers from poor pacing, but overall it was good. Even though 13-2's story was shit, I'd like to see a conclusion. I'm sure SE has learned some things whilst making 13-2, so we could get a sequel that has the good things of both 13 and 13-2. We'll see, I guess.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Asked this a few weeks ago, Kagari, but you probably know a bit more now, so: You sure SE isn't scheduling any press time for unannounced games that could be revealed during the first parties' press conferences, as with KH3D two years ago? Pathetic if true.
I'm already booked with them. No unannounced game slots :(

I don't get this at all. They want to get more people interested, especially PS3 owners...so they decided NOT to show it off at the biggest console gaming press event of the year?! Does Square actually want this game to succeed? It won't get nearly as much coverage at any other time, even if they have 5 hours of footage and books of backstory and CD's of new soundtrack that they can show off.

And then there's that next paragraph, where 2.0 is getting released during E3? What?

RPGCrazied

Also, where in the world is Final Fantasy X HD? Can they at least get a release date at E3? Its been like a year since announcement.

Jarmel

Banned
I don't get this at all. They want to get more people interested, especially PS3 owners...so they decided NOT to show it off at the biggest console gaming press event of the year?! Does Square actually want this game to succeed? It won't get nearly as much coverage at any other time, even if they have 5 hours of footage and books of backstory and CD's of new soundtrack that they can show off.

And then there's that next paragraph, where 2.0 is getting released during E3? What?

It's possible they're afraid it's going to get overshadowed at E3.

Honestly I don't see why anybody would get involved with FFXIV at this stage. SE is a trainwreck and everybody knows it. I can't imagine the reception to 2.0 being that fantastic to get people to come back to the company as a whole.

Cmagus

This is really disappointing. It is really beginning to become difficult to care anymore with this team and it isn't even the fact that the trailer isn't being shown it's their complete lack to follow through with anything on time.

They really needed this trailer to be there. Not being there is doing nothing to help promote the game which they have done zero of in the past months and the veterans like myself who have been there since the start through all the crap and bad times well it's very disappointing and personally makes me wonder about the future of this game.I worry they are using 2.0 as an excuse and are building up something they cannot deliver fully on.

2.0 has to be it, there is no room for the garbage they are pulling now. I can almost assume with confidence that this 2.0 isn't going to hit on time there is almost no doubt in my mind they will push it.The game right now is in alot of trouble and as much as people don't want to believe it (I am guilty of this myself) the population is dropping off drastically. Peoples interests and patience are also beginning to wear thin.

The thing I worry about is with all the big releases coming like Guild Wars 2 which I know many people are leaving FFXIV when it hits at some point one game will pull them away and that will be it they won't return. Everything they do is slow even the recent Garuda content which they released with a serious bug that allowed people to cheat and kill her in minutes with no challenge. That content is now almost 100% dead because instead of doing emergency maintenance and closing the fight down they left it open for a week and a half given the players time to get all the weapons essentially killing the content. Is this partially the communities fault? Sure but SE failed to react as usual.

Dunno had to rant at this point I have zero confidence in this team yeah it's come a long way since launch but it still isn't up to most MMO standards, and to say it's come a long way when adding anything would make the original look like a masterpiece. The fact to this day the game still struggles with severe lag in game, during fights and the UI it's like when is enough is enough. I can honestly say I hardly care anymore way to go SE you dun goof'd.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I was pretty interested in seeing a new trailer at Sony's E3 but I guess will be for next time. The important thing though is that at least one big Final Fantasy must be present at E3 &#8211; being that Type-0 announcement, Versus' new trailer or even FFXV/XIII-3 &#8211; for me to be interested in this event.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I was pretty interested in seeing a new trailer at Sony's E3 but I guess will be for next time. The important part though is that at least one big Final Fantasy will be present at E3, being that Type-0 announcement, Versus' new trailer or even FFXV/XIII-3 but I can't follow an E3 without an FF being in there in one form or another.
It's nice to dream.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Gamescom is a far better fit for XIV 2.0's announcement, in fact I think that from a timing standpoint is better all round than E3. People are more hungry for information after the traditional summer lull and if the launch is relatively soon its a good time to get noticed ahead of the 3rd quarter marketing blitz for the heavy-hitters.

And more than anything else, the attendance figures for Gamescom have been mightily impressive the last couple of years; it might not have the prestige of E3 yet, but as a marketing opportunity its arguably better as its a more public expo.

Perfo

It's nice to dream.

Boh, chances for Type-0 to not even appear at VITA's E3 (/Sony's conference) are very small imho... we know they're working on the western version right? And I don't think they could be so far from finishing it, so the E3 could be the last chance to push it for real. Why skipping? Unless it has been cancelled, but I really doubt.

I'm already booked with them. No unannounced game slots :(

To elaborate on this a bit as the person who was booking for Kagari and will be doing some of the SE stuff that she isn't, there's nothing unannounced from them on our appointment sheet. In past years we've generally had an off-the-record nod as to what an unannounced game is and been given a slot for it. Nothing here.

The one exception I can think of with SE was FF14, where that was truly a 100% surprise (though someone did leak it to me 2 days before the Sony conference reveal) - in that case, Square Enix sent out an email right after the Sony conference offering interview slots and inviting people to a group Q&A/conference in one of the CC's largest meeting rooms.

That was a one-off surprise on one year, though. As such, the outlook is grim, but something new can't be ruled out entirely. Even then, I wouldn't expect Type 0. I think if that was going to happen they'd have talked about that title in an off the record way as everyone already knows what it is. Only actual full surprises are really worth the trouble of what they went to with FF14.

It's also worth keeping in mind that SE as a company is one that, like Activision, has embraced the idea of not doing announcements at E3 since about 2009. They don't do conferences anymore as everyone knows, and games like Tomb Raider and Hitman were revealed outside the show, in some cases only in the weeks leading up to it. For something like Hitman it's actually better to reveal it the week before E3 via a viral web campaign then release proper assets during the show. The lack of any activity on this level indicates to me they probably don't have anything all-new at the show. I think there is something 'new' on the social/mobile side, IIRC, mind. Not sure as this is something I didn't really focus on when I was talking to them.

Perfo

"What the hell is SE doing?"

I don't think they're doing anything bad here, they're betting everything on the Eidos side of things. And I can't deny that's something worthy doing, reserving most of the japanese stuff for the local market where there's still a big audience waiting for them. But it's obvious here Tomb Raider, Hitman and co. are destined to be bigger hits than Bravely Default & co.

Gamescom is a far better fit for XIV 2.0's announcement, in fact I think that from a timing standpoint is better all round than E3. People are more hungry for information after the traditional summer lull and if the launch is relatively soon its a good time to get noticed ahead of the 3rd quarter marketing blitz for the heavy-hitters.

And more than anything else, the attendance figures for Gamescom have been mightily impressive the last couple of years; it might not have the prestige of E3 yet, but as a marketing opportunity its arguably better as its a more public expo.

Gamescom gets almost no press coverage in the US, it's not a press event, so it's useless for getting the word out to non-hardcore gamers. It's similar to if they used PAX to show it all off, it's like exactly what Square said they are trying to avoid, not getting the word out to new customers.

Mario007

Gamescom gets almost no press coverage in the US, it's not a press event, so it's useless for getting the word out to non-hardcore gamers. It's similar to if they used PAX to show it all off, it's like exactly what Square said they are trying to avoid, not getting the word out to new customers.

its the largest gaming expo in the world. gaming press also attends because sony has a press conference where they drop pretty big announcements

Top Bottom