• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NOA Club Nintendo Gold And Platinum Prizes Revealed, And You're Not Gonna Like it...

Darig0n

Neo Member
I personally picked Donkey Kong because it was the only game that was most expensive and had quality.. Even though I played it on Wii U. I'd say avoid Game & Wario was rather mediocre I got it at launch and traded it in.

iphys

So I believe this is the last time I listen to GAF consensus when choosing titles to buy. I was convinced Game and Wario would be barebones garbage. It's not. It's brilliant,

Some mini games are meh, like Patchwork, but Gamer, Ski, Arrow, The camera game Miiverse sketch and some of the multiplayer stuff is absolutely fantastic. I love that I got this for free, but the original $40 asking price isn't too far off the mark.

Metascore: 61
Metacritic user score: 60

Believe me, you're in the minority if you think this game is brilliant. I thought this game should have been a $10 download rather than a $40 retail game.

Zing

Banned

Believe me, you're in the minority if you think this game is brilliant. I thought this game should have been a $10 download rather than a $40 retail game.
Apparently, so does Nintendo, given that it is offered alongside $10 games. :D

rjc571

Banned

Do you think that all minigame collections should only cost $10? Or do you think Game & Wario is lacking compared to other games of its type? I ask this because a large portion of the market seems to have arbitrarily decided that certain types of games should cost less money than others, regardless of how well-made they are or how much content they contain. People who don't buy into that bullshit line of thinking could easily find $40 worth of entertainment in a minigame collection such as Game & Wario, provided that the minigames are creative and fun to play. (I haven't played it myself, so I wouldn't know if this is the case.)

iphys

I knew it would be mini-games instead of micro-games. I wasn't expecting most of the mini-games to feel like such weak tech demos that I wouldn't even want to pay $1 each for them.

Do you think that all minigame collections should only cost $10? Or do you think Game & Wario is lacking compared to other games of its type? I ask this because a large portion of the market seems to have arbitrarily decided that certain types of games should cost less money than others, regardless of how well-made they are or how much content they contain. People who don't buy into that bullshit line of thinking could easily find $40 worth of entertainment in a minigame collection such as Game & Wario, provided that the minigames are creative and fun to play. (I haven't played it myself, so I wouldn't know if this is the case.)

I'm pretty sure the lukewarm reception is due to the fairly limited number of games (barring the recycled ones from the GBA), and the fact some of them simply aren't that fun.

iphys

I also thought Nintendo Land was kind of weak for $60, but it's vastly superior to Game & Wario, and the current price is reasonable I'd say. I felt like most of the mini games in Nintendo Land had a measure of quality to them at least.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
There is a hope it will be extended, but it's officially only announced through December this year. There isn't a Basic set anymore (not really, anyways), so why continue to offer a "bonus" for the only real set on the market?

I was always under the impression it was an limited time offer/reward for early adopters who purchased a premium bundle.

I didn't think it was still given out.

Anyways as a Gold Reward guy who already has SMB on Wii VC and has no interest in old Gameboy games, I've narrowed it down to Ice Climbers and Donkey Kong 3.
Been watching a lot of videos of these games in action. If I go with the Climbers I'll earn a few points being its a U title. DK3 however looks like a more fun pick up and play game that's perfect for 3DS. Think I'm going to go with DK3.
Actually I'm excited to play it!

iphys

I was going to get DKCR3D, but one of my friends just got a Wii U and is looking to get Super Mario Bros.
Might end up getting that for him.

You must be joking. You'd give up a chance for a $30/$35 game to give your friend a $5 one? Might as well get him Game & Wario for the DDP and the Club Nintendo coins, as that alone is worth about as much as SMB.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
I'm actually happy about this (am I the only one?) because I live outside the states so I can't get the physical stuff anyway.
Now the only question is: what to pick?
I don't have a Wii U, and I already played Dillion, the mario side-scrollers and Kid Icarus..

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I'm actually happy about this (am I the only one?) because I live outside the states so I can't get the physical stuff anyway.
I don't have a Wii U, and I already played Dillion, the mario side-scrollers and Kid Icarus..

DKC Returns 3D, unless you own that one too.

Elija2

I wonder, with all the people complaining to NOA about the rewards this year do you think next year's rewards will actually be good? I hope so because I'm already close to hitting Platinum again.

Anyways as a Gold Reward guy who already has SMB on Wii VC and has no interest in old Gameboy games, I've narrowed it down to Ice Climbers and Donkey Kong 3.
Been watching a lot of videos of these games in action. If I go with the Climbers I'll earn a few points being its a U title. DK3 however looks like a more fun pick up and play game that's perfect for 3DS. Think I'm going to go with DK3.
Actually I'm excited to play it!

If you picked DK3, you've made the right choice.

And to anyone who's curious, if a decision for a game comes down to Something or Ice Climber, go with the Something and you'll almost certainly be better off. Really, Ice Climber is that unrewarding. NES Remix or the Masterpiece section in Brawl will tell you all you need to know about the extent of the game.

omg_mjd

I'm in the same boat. I was expecting physical rewards that I wouldn't be able to claim, so it was a nice surprise to see game downloads being offered. They need to provide more variety next time though. I ended up getting DKCR but it was only by chance that I didn't own it already.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a deadline to claim your code? Because if so I'd like to sell my Donkey Kong or Game & Wario code for $20.

DKCR:3D is excellent.

I implore those who haven't played it, to check it out. I bought it at retail in May of last year and I really enjoy the game.

The best thing about it:

It's a fucking portable Retro Studios game. In 3D.

its a damn good game, tough as shit, too

maxcriden

game & wario seems.. not good. and i love the series. maybe the really good games are unlocked after the first four?

It's different for sure from the normal WarioWare games for sure. I think it gets more fun in some of the later games, particularly
Gamer and Wendy.

khaaan

Ahhhh crap.

Would anyone be willing to trade their Platinum reward with me? I ordered Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D when I wanted Game & Wario or NES Remix.

Picked G&W since I already had DK physically.

Wouldn't have paid $40 for it, but it's pretty decent for a mini game collection.

Still would have preferred a physical gift, though.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder, with all the people complaining to NOA about the rewards this year do you think next year's rewards will actually be good? I hope so because I'm already close to hitting Platinum again.

It probably won't do anything. I'd like for next year's rewards to be better, but I doubt all of the complaining will accomplish anything of importance.

tbhysgb

I'm willing to trade my platinum reward. Pm with offers. I'm pretty reasonable. Its just I have dk already and the other titles are a waste IMO.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Not a chance. I'd say it's pretty clear what direction they're heading in with the Club's offerings overall. I wouldn't be surprised to see all-digital rewards eventually (which I personally wouldn't mind).

Okamid3n

Picked Wario and I really love it, but I wouldn't reccommend it because clearly it's not something for everyone.

I had big doubts, but I'm glad I chose it. I already 100%'d DK on the wii and I am drowning in platformers at the moment anyway, so DKCR3D would've been a bad choice.

As a bonus, Wario is 40$ in Canada, so I got 399 points out of it in the DDP!

joedick

I haven't read the whole thread, have people been complaining to Nintendo?

What a bunch of babies. While I generally prefer disc games, I'm thrilled to get a $40 retail game. I've been waiting to find G&W on the cheap, so can't get much better than free. Been looking forward to trying out 'Gamer' for a while, and it's nice to see some decent comments on the game in this thread.

I see people comment all the time that Nintendo is trying to prevent people from getting Platinum. I doubt that is the case - the more people who get platinum, the cheaper the reward will be per person. Tough year for Nintendo = less platinum members = crappy gift.

leroidys

I haven't read the whole thread, have people been complaining to Nintendo?

What a bunch of babies. While I generally prefer disc games, I'm thrilled to get a $40 retail game. I've been waiting to find G&W on the cheap, so can't get much better than free. Been looking forward to trying out 'Gamer' for a while, and it's nice to see some decent comments on the game in this thread.

I see people comment all the time that Nintendo is trying to prevent people from getting Platinum. I doubt that is the case - the more people who get platinum, the cheaper the reward will be per person. Tough year for Nintendo = less platinum members = crappy gift.

If you already have the only $40 game on there, it's a pretty shitty gift.

DKCR:3D is excellent.

I implore those who haven't played it, to check it out. I bought it at retail in May of last year and I really enjoy the game.

The best thing about it:

It's a fucking portable Retro Studios game. In 3D.

its a damn good game, tough as shit, too

But worth it if I have the wii version? It's only 30fps. In leaning towards NES remix instead since I own DKR on the Wii

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Grabbed Donkey Kong 3 and wow. It pains me to think that someone payed $50 for it back in the mid eighties. No wonder I never played it back then.

Picked up Game & Wario despite all the criticism. Couldn't be more satisfied for a free title, let alone the fact that it still retails for $40 CAD around here. And the presentation alone is too good to pass up, not a bad Platinum gift after all.

ashado

Neo Member
I ended up getting Super Mario Land 2 because I already own four of the other choices and the rest of them didn't appeal to me. I spent hours playing it when I was younger but I don't think I ever beat it so maybe I can do that now.

So I believe this is the last time I listen to GAF consensus when choosing titles to buy. I was convinced Game and Wario would be barebones garbage. It's not. It's brilliant,

Some mini games are meh, like Patchwork, but Gamer, Ski, Arrow, The camera game Miiverse sketch and some of the multiplayer stuff is absolutely fantastic. I love that I got this for free, but the original $40 asking price isn't too far off the mark.
My wife and I love patchwork, but besides that, I agree. G&W gets so much unfair criticism.

zroid

Banned
Picked up Game & Wario despite all the criticism. Couldn't be more satisfied for a free title, let alone the fact that it still retails for $40 CAD around here. And the presentation alone is too good to pass up, not a bad Platinum gift after all.

It is a good party game. Some of the single player games are fun too, albeit hit or miss.

Played Fruit, Islands, and Skech yesterday with a couple buddies and we had a great time. Although I will admit that Wii Party U, which we also played yesterday (I got this with the MK8 promo) was even better overall. I am a huge supporter of Wii Party U now, haha.

antibolo

Banned
Game & Wario is a cool game, people mostly hate it because they think it should be a 10-15$ game.

Every Wii U owner should experience the Gamer subgame. Preferably at night, with lights off.

Top Bottom