• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NoA conducted a poll asking where people play Switch the most. 83% said at home

I just got home from a four day business trip and I played my Switch once, on the plane ride out. It's too big to play comfortably on a plane; the detachable joycons were a lifesaver here.

Fisty

I'll buy a Switch v2 Home Edition when it comes out. I have a Vita with tons of games that I never even play outside the house, doubt I would need a portable Switch... ever.

As a parent I love being able to undock and play while I wait for my kids to sleep. A lot of other obvious situations like your wife wants to watch tv or you want to veg out in bed.

It's a brilliant idea and they pulled it off with the right hardware and software.

Couldn't agree more. I love being able to play on the TV but instantly move it to Handheld if my wife or kids need the TV, or if I need to go somewhere other than the Living Room.

Who cares what Gaf says. If you followee what Gaffers said about Switch, you'd think the Switch would be used only as a handheld. I personally never took my Switch outside and I'd say I've used it docked 95% of the time. I haven't played it undocked since May.

JesseZao

Meaningless survey. Should've asked about docked vs undocked.

The most likely place for you to get in an accident is near your home.

Skux

It's just too big to bring with you handheld or in a pocket, and by the time you get a bag it's easier to just do some casual gaming on your phone.

Maybe not to this extent but I'm sure there were similar studies for previous handhelds. Most of the handhelds I've owned have primarily been played at home. I still find the portability to be a bjf advantage in that situation.

bionic77

Couldn't agree more. I love being able to play on the TV but instantly move it to Handheld if my wife or kids need the TV, or if I need to go somewhere other than the Living Room.
You don't realize how much you love that freedom until you have one in your hands for a few days.

I've never taken it outside my home other than a friend's house every weekend, and while it's at home I use it 90% handheld anyway.

For me it's just perfect to have a console I can just pick up and use if my other wants to use the TV or I can lay in bed using it. It's perfect.

R aka Bon

I think the more interesting question would be how many also use it outside of their homes, and how much the different modes get used (handheld/docked). Because people mostly using it at home, isn't all that surprising as that's probably where they spent the most time, have the most free time, where it's not as weird to be gaming on a gaming device, and where it's also the most convenient/comfortable. It's not a phone, as it can take advantage of a bigger screen, as in there should be a difference in the gaming experience, whereas your phone is always your phone, so it won't alter your gaming experience the same way switch does, at home.

Yukinari

I dont feel like a Switch is something id even risk taking outside on a normal day when i didnt even do that with my 3DS.

MAYBE if its for a trip then sure.

Deku Tree

Just because I play my Switch 99% at home doesn't mean I don't play it 75% undocked. Portable doesn't have to mean away from home.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
It's a home system so not surprised.

At the same time, I would expect similar numbers for the 3DS.

bobawesome

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/897856262221602820

Thought this was a pretty interesting result. This to me actually justifies Nintendo "home console first" marketing of the Switch. Handhelds do seem less popular in the west (note there was nothing stopping folks outside of NA from voting) than say Japan, but it's still surprising to see such a landslide result in favor of home gaming.

What about you guys? Where do you play Switch the most? What are your thoughts on the poll and the results? Me, I also play strictly docked myself. :p

I mean, you seem to think people are mostly using it as a home console just because people play primarily at home. 99.9% of the time I'm using the Switch it's in handheld mode.

Banned
I'm almost always docked. I drive to work so I can't play it on a bus or train.

Only time it's in handheld mode is when I'm pooping or laying in bed before falling asleep.

Strange.. from the various Gaf threads, I had the impression that people play everything on the go.

"Imagine playing this on the go!"

"This would be dope on the go!"

Neiteio

It's a system that many people play at home, myself included, but the beauty is the variety of ways you can play while at home. I can play in my office between researching stories or interviewing sources; I can play while relaxing in the recliner; I can play while in bed.

Sometimes you don't feel like "committing" to sitting down in front of the TV because, well, you're supposed to be doing other stuff... but with the Switch I feel like squeezing in a few minutes (that can quickly become a few hours) just by taking the "noncommital" approach of undocking the system and playing in my workspace, or at the dining room table, or whatever.

It's portable flexibility that enhances the experience of gaming anywhere, including at home. :)

Strange.. from the various Gaf threads, I had the impression that people play everything on the go.

"Imagine playing this on the go!"

"This would be dope on the go!"

I mean, I do play it outside of the house all the time.

Just not on planes, buses, or at beaches, given that I rarely fly, never take buses, and live in Arizona, lol. Terrible selection of choices.

rnaud

I end up playing in public transportation quite a bit. I just throw it in my backpack in the morning.

Once they release the portable dock I will be plugging it in the office's TV as well for local lans :)

TheFatMan

For reasons I won't get into I have an hour to kill at work in the morning 3 or 4 days a week. I usually spend it playing Zelda in handheld mode. I even bought a case so I don't have to worry about damage.

So I'd guess roughly 1/2 my playtime on the Switch every week occurs outside of my home.

I love the mobility it brings, but I'm glad I can dock it and play at home when I'm there because playing for more than an hour becomes uncomfortable I've found in handheld mode.

JABEE

Most people use portables at home more than anywhere else, I'm sure, so this isn't surprising in any way....

Yep. A lot of people drive to work and not a lot of people are whipping their Switch out in the break-room to play some Zelda during lunch.

Owari

Insane to me, I play Switch 100% handheld. Better FPS, best portable ever. Home is PC or PS4 Pro on my 4KTV.

Imagine playing video games at home below 4K 60+ FPS

what_year_is_it.jpg

Owari

I end up playing in public transportation quite a bit. I just throw it in my backpack in the morning.

Once they release the portable dock I will be plugging it in the office's TV as well for local lans :)
The portable dongles are out! Modified my bent one a few months back into a dock and do portable LANs all the time. Amazing.

I play mine mostly at home in portable mode. It's nice to be able to play (or continue) a game while working at my computer desk. I do travel quite a bit as well so it does get a lot of time out of the house as well.

But overall, it's mostly played at home in portable mode.

ryanofcall

I actually live on a bus so most of my Switch time is spent on one.

Stupid question?

Handheld vs docked would've been more useful

I might be wrong but I think they can already tell themselves how often consumers play undocked / doxked, because the switch sending back statistics like that would make sense?
What it cannot tell is where you play it.

Top Bottom