• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nobody is playing titanfall.

Tegernako

Banned
I think the point is even after the new DLC/mode the game peaks sub-10k users per day.
It is really low.

But I think it is fine because you have Destiny... and soon AW and MCC... so the drop will be more critical after November.
Well, I know that. But my point is that it doesn't matter, it is what it is. This is like the third thread on it and the conversaton hasn't changed.

It's just people going "LOL flop!" and people arguing back.

Synth

Then you admit that the game is likely show up on GWG, which will have the same effect I was suggesting (and then some), which backs up my original point that Titanfall is far from being dead on XB1.

I don't have any confidence in seeing any retail game on GwG (or PS+) as long as the platform holders aren't even willing to put any of their own games up for the services.

Fuck, should I post "Nobodies playing Chromehounds!"

I get what you're saying... but "Nobody's playing Chromehounds!" would be pretty accurate. Not the best comparison. :p

Tegernako

Banned
Yeah but for a game with no single player, defense should have shipped with the game

Hell, when you went through 'training' the last part (which was a defensive horde mode) was probably my favorite part of the game

Everyone says the game is trash because it doesn’t have "enough content" yet those same people complain about "Bloat" in games and say that they have to many weapons that are the same, to many gimmicks, etc. Titanfall is all about the gameplay just like the Halo, Quake, Doom, Tribes, CS, etc. You don't see people lamenting that CS only has a few weapons now do you? That's because the gameplay is fucking good.

Respawn made the game with 54 employee’s (standard dev team has 200+ people), under constant stress from the Activision lawsuit, and literally ran out out money halfway through development, and still ended up creating a game that sold millions. They had to scrap a lot of things to even get the game shipped. If they’d had more money and less pressure from activision they’d have had a lot more modes and even a single player but they had to scrap it.

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/04/17/behind-the-scenes-final-hours-of-titanfall-app-now-available/

Respawn has added a lot of free content to the game. Black market, emblems, new game modes, new burn card, titan burn cards, Titan OS’s, custom slots, etc stuff dev’s usually add in expansions and map packs to make people want to buy them. They just gave a huge fucking update for free, again.

I don't get it, why do people act like Titanfall is the first game to sell well and lose players. Why do they keep bringing it up like it matters. This is the third topic I've seen on this and the conversation is always the same. Why does it matter? Why does it bother people so much and why do people ONLY focus on this game?

Play the game or don't. End of story.

I get what you're saying... but "Nobody's playing Chromehounds!" would be pretty accurate. Not the best comparison. :p
It is though, because I'm pointing out that it's pointless to point out the population. It is what is. Play the game or don't.

It's pointless to say Chromehounds is active because it isn't, making a thread about it won't change it being dead. Making a thread about Titanfall being "dead" (when it isn't) AGAIN is pointless because it won't change anything. It's just irritating to see everywhere. They focus on everything BUT the gameplay in the game. You'd think the game shipped as a fanboywar/epenis measuring contest rather then an FPS.

Reminds me that I should bring this to the trade bin. I guess I hung onto it hoping it would evolve into something better. Haven't had the desire to play for quite some time.
Maybe you should try it since the last update just added a bunch of free content.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Why do people act like this is the only game in existence like this?

Fuck, should I post "Nobodies playing Chromehounds!"

I think it says quite a lot that the most apt comparison that comes to your mind is a multiplayer game whose servers were shut down in 2010.

The double whammy of scant content at release and a prestige system that forces players out of their comfort zones killed the PC audience within a matter of weeks. The Hardpoint rebalancing was just salt on the wound.

The game looks good and the gameplay is solid but my big issue with it is that there just aren't enough real players in the game. The maps are friggin' huge and I always feel like I'm just running around half of the time trying to find other players. I also hate the bots they put in there to make up for lack of real players as they're dumb as hell and do nothing but stand there and get shot. I feel like if this game supported 12v12 at least it would feel much better as the games at it's best when things get hectic and chaotic. As it is the game just feels slightly sterile, with not enough things happening.

It also doesn't help that there's no single player to fuck around with. I think that was Respawns biggest mistake. They definitely should've taken another few years and actually given this game a story worth giving a shit about. It's all about context and there just isn't any in Titanfall and it makes it hard to care about any of it in the long run. It's still fun and has great ideas, but it just isn't were it needs to be to compete with the types of games it's throwing its hat in the ring with.

Personally, I quit because of the map design and the campers. I was sick of running for 5 minutes to where the action was only to be shot in the back by invisible enemies hiding in little nooks and crannies that shouldn't even exist.

Titanfall is a fantastic game that I had a ton of fun with. Last night I played Frontier Defense for probably five or six hours straight. Respawn has supported this game post-launch so well it is crazy.

Playlists might have small populations but I have never had an issue finding a game. Hell, today I went into the first DLC's variety pack playlist which apparently had only 30 people but I found a game instantly.

Kind of a shame this did not catch on better. Pretty good gameplay and provides a lot of fun moments.

prag16

Banned
Damn. That's not even drastically more than Wii U Black Ops 2 at this point, a two year old game on a "dead" system.

Thought it would have more staying power.

Its important to remember that this is worldwide.

If only 300 people are playing a mode you want to play worldwide, the chances of getting matched into a good connection and good skill match is very low.

It basically means that the only viable vs mode is attrition and even a population of 3000 or so means matchmaking compromises.

Somehow even in smaller playlists the connection is usually solid. That Azure network does a great job.

I don't have any confidence in seeing any retail game on GwG (or PS+) as long as the platform holders aren't even willing to put any of their own games up for the services.
We're still in the first year. You'll definitely see more retail games in 2015 on GWG. I'd bet a good chunk of money Titanfall is one of those games.

Synth

It's pointless to say Chromehounds is active because it isn't, making a thread about it won't change it being dead. Making a thread about Titanfall being "dead" (when it isn't) AGAIN is pointless because it won't change anything. It's just irritating to see everywhere. They focus on everything BUT the gameplay in the game. You'd think the game shipped as a fanboywar/epenis measuring contest rather then an FPS.

Alright. Last time I had a nitpick in this thread it got slightly out of control. As I said, I get (and somewhat agree with) what you're saying, even if I don't agree with the comparison.

I think it says quite a lot that the most apt comparison that comes to your mind is a multiplayer game whose servers were shut down in 2010.

See... This is why I didn't like the comparison... >_<

how exactly will it help with Xbox One or PC population?

It wouldn't. It'd just be another platform where everyone would be playing Attrition. Just treat the post for what it is, another "PS4 da best!" quip.

Damn. That's not even drastically more than Wii U Black Ops 2 at this point, a two year old game on a "dead" system.

There were over 3000 people worldwide in two of the playlists last night (Attrition + Frontier Defense). Without doing the math I am guessing probably 9000+ people were playing last night.

A lot better than what OP was saying.

Synth

Can someone check how many people are currently on BO2 WiiU? Because I feel like this post is talking some BS.

Gears3 has a constant 8k total every time I play. those TF numbers seem low for a new game and the 6 months of hype leading up to launch.

Where it is now is where it should have started.

It's a great game from a gameplay point of view but the content Isn't there to keep everyone going.

There's about 10,000 players on total so it's not too bad there's just a lot of playlists that could do with being merged.

Mikey Jr.

Played it on PC for a bit.

I knew it wasn't going to last. For a game to charge $60, and with no singleplayer, that game should have been filled to the brim with shit.

Game just felt very bare bones. Played it for a few days and felt I saw everything. And as soon as it dropped from the top twitch games in the first week, I knew it was over.

VASPER

Banned
I bounce back and fourth between that and Destiny right now and I still love Titanfall. The new maps are great and I don't have any trouble getting into a game, it's sad to see the best game of this year with such a low player count.

Gears3 has a constant 8k total every time I play. those TF numbers seem low for a new game and the 6 months of hype leading up to launch.

Shouldn't have to point it out, but Gears 3 came at nearly the peak of X360 sales rate and benefited from, 1) being the second sequel to a massively successful game series, and 2) having a sixty-to-eighty million userbase to sell to over the past four or five years. TF is doing worse than it probably should, but it's on a small platform (five or more million currently) by comparison and one that is not currently the darling of the hardcore game userbase when it's on a system that is just trying to get out from underneath the shadow of a botched launch year, in terms of pricing and PR. If they bother to advertise sometime in the near future, it could see a boost given its much greater value proposition versus launch, but it's up against the biggest new hyped hitters of the season. Even so, it's not difficult to find matches and full games during afternoons and evenings on X1.

Its important to note that this is not a "titanfall is bad" thread. Quite the opposite. I liked it so much when finally getting into it now that I'm concerned it won't have a long lifespan and will be hard to play next year and onward.

jesu

Its important to note that this is not a "titanfall is bad" thread. Quite the opposite. I liked it so much when finally getting into it now that I'm concerned it won't have a long lifespan and will be hard to play next year and onward.

Fingers crossed it goes the GWG route.

Well, you stated "nobody" was playing the game, when that's simply not true. 8,000 concurrent users is not a problem at all if you want to jump into a game.

Also, as many of us have explained, there are still lots of opportunities for new players to be added to the mix in the coming year. Black Friday sales, DLC sales, and ultimately making it a part of games with gold. By the time the game is truly dead, the sequel will be arriving soon after, which actually will probably get more people back into it again in the run up to that game's release date.

Well, you stated "nobody" was playing the game, when that's simply not true. 8,000 concurrent users is not a problem at all if you want to jump into a game.

Also, as many of us have explained, there are still lots of opportunities for new players to be added to the mix in the coming year. Black Friday sales, DLC sales, and ultimately making it a part of games with gold. By the time the game is truly dead, the sequel will be arriving soon after, which actually will probably get more people back into it again in the run up to that game's release date.

I didn't try it but I suspect that it will be difficult to find non attrition matches.

Ghosts on ps4 has the same issue. Some of the leser playlists only have a few hundred players or dozens, and matchmaking just fails.

Alx

Maybe the real issue in the end is that Attrition is the mode for which the game was made (perfect balance between grunts, titans and pilots, none of them feeling useless). I admit it's the only mode I play, with a few rounds of Marked for Death when fancying a change.
Titanfall is more focused on fun and action than deep strategy, which is probably why there are less people playing CTF or Domination. That's my view on the game, anyway (but then I never could appreciate CTF in any FPS).

jesu

I didn't try it but I suspect that it will be difficult to find non attrition matches.

Ghosts on ps4 has the same issue. Some of the leser playlists only have a few hundred players or dozens, and matchmaking just fails.

It's fine, I was playing the DLC playlists last night no problem.

Never have an issue finding players whenever I want to play

Come on don't say just a few thousand within that second of you checking is no players

Let's say there are 4000 at any given time, total that in to unque connections per day, it will be an impressive number

Titan fall is defo my fav online game this generation so far, and respawn are doing awesome at supporting it

Kill3r7

Maybe the real issue in the end is that Attrition is the mode for which the game was made (perfect balance between grunts, titans and pilots, none of them feeling useless). I admit it's the only mode I play, with a few rounds of Marked for Death when fancying a change.
Titanfall is more focused on fun and action than deep strategy, which is probably why there are less people playing CTF or Domination. That's my view on the game, anyway (but then I never could appreciate CTF in any FPS).

Hardpoint prior to balancing was great. I put my first 30-40hours in that mode. Post balancing it became nothing more than a glorified match of attrition. Not necessarily a bad thing but I though hardpoint had a legit chance to mimick BFBC2 gameplay.

Bgamer90

Banned
Playing now (XB1). Around 12,000 people on. Game definitely dropped but I wouldn't go as far as to say it's a "ghost town" or say "nobody".

Mugatu

I didn't look at player count but I fired it up on the XB1 yesterday and had no problems getting into games right away.

Saying nobody is playing is an exaggeration, but the player base has definitely shrank rapidly from what I've seen on PC, and it can be harder to get a game in the lesser played modes.

It's only going to get worse as time goes on, so if you want to experience the game then you should try it sooner rather than later.

Skyzard

Banned
The horde mode is a limited time thing and you need to buy another expansion pack? :/

0YPMoiU.png

Patroclos

Banned
I bounce back and fourth between that and Destiny right now and I still love Titanfall. The new maps are great and I don't have any trouble getting into a game, it's sad to see the best game of this year with such a low player count.

Destiny has TONS of players!

Alx

The horde mode is a limited time thing and you need to buy another expansion pack? :/

All new modes are labeled as limited in time. But popular ones make it to the "official" list. With the amount of work that went into horde mode (and the good feedback apparently), I doubt it will go anywhere.
And all gameplay content is free in Titanfall, only maps are paid content.

prag16

Banned
There were over 3000 people worldwide in two of the playlists last night (Attrition + Frontier Defense). Without doing the math I am guessing probably 9000+ people were playing last night.

A lot better than what OP was saying.

That IS better than the OP made it sound.

Can someone check how many people are currently on BO2 WiiU? Because I feel like this post is talking some BS.

It was peaking around 3k when they finally got around to releasing the Nuketown 2025 map several weeks back. I haven't been on for a couple weeks now, but before that it was peaking around 2k.

So the numbers aren't exactly "close", but keep in mind that BO2 Wii U is a game that only sold, what, 300k worldwide? At most? Probably not even.

Just surprised that Titanfall didn't retain more users, especially with this year's CoD not out yet.

Skyzard

Banned
All new modes are labeled as limited in time. But popular ones make it to the "official" list. With the amount of work that went into horde mode (and the good feedback apparently), I doubt it will go anywhere.
And all gameplay content is free in Titanfall, only maps are paid content.

Ah awesome so I'll still have horde for other maps I already own?

Hopefully it stays too, pretty fun.

Izuna

Banned
I think Titanfall should have had Kinect chat.

Other than that, it is different from Cod and Destiny because there is a set way to play. When you get better in Titanfall, it is almost impossible to do worse, and vice versa. That makes people not want to carry on if they aren't good. You don't get pure noob servers in this game like you still get with Cod.

My friend loved to watch me play, but didn't want to play himself because he wasn't as good. Now with Horde mode he wants to play, so a sale would be a good idea now. Problem is, Horde mode isn't easy. If you can do Horde mode, you can win a bunch in attrition.

Well Quake 3 released years and years ago and had the numbers. Fighting games should only ever be compared with fighting games in terms of users online and I bet you the good ones are all fairly similar in comparison is terms of players. Bayonetta? I didnt even know it was a multiplayer game.

So when you compare Titanfall against other FPS you can see it is a massive flop and something in the game design is wrong, the numbers argument is perfectly valid the FPS.

In my opinion, the problem isn't in the design. The design and mechanics of the game are solid. The problem with Titanfall was it didn't have enough content to sustain longevity.

Alx

In my opinion, the problem isn't in the design. The design and mechanics of the game are solid. The problem with Titanfall was it didn't have enough content to sustain longevity.

I still don't understand what people expect with such comment. The game had a solid base, and had additional content releasing almost monthly since launch. What else were the devs supposed to do ?
And it still bothers me that being good isn't enough for a game to be appreciated. It needs "content", being fun and polished isn't enough apparently.

My friend loved to watch me play, but didn't want to play himself because he wasn't as good. Now with Horde mode he wants to play, so a sale would be a good idea now. Problem is, Horde mode isn't easy. If you can do Horde mode, you can win a bunch in attrition.

I don't know, I thought one of the strengths of the game is that you could still have fun if you were bad at it (and I was veeeery bad at the beginning, not having played a multiplayer shooter consistently since 1999). Sure you'll get killed a lot, but there are always fun things to do even when you're dominated (shoot grunts, drop titans, run around, go for the evacuation,...).

Top Bottom