• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nomura: It's Versus XIII's Turn (Obvious-age)

Name it Final Fantasy XV and call it a day. It'll remove some of that ugly XIII stench and keep up the tradition of three numbered FF's appearing in a given console cycle, at least.

0 HP

Aeana said:
I wonder how many people will still care about the game by the time it comes out.

weeaboo said:
It's like I don't care anymore Nomura

Pre said:
I really don't care about the game at this point

i don't understand this logic. why would you care less about something just because its been been in development for a long time? with this game in particular, we've barely seen anything so what is there to be burnt out on? i'm sure when it does come out we'll know about it.

Can this game actually be any good when it finally comes out? Given SE's track record of late in both current gen games and and Action RPG's in general, the development cycle it's been through and the ridiculous expectation it has looming over its head. Plus Nomura saying ages ago that this is 'mature' KH, which means the story is going to be nonsensical, emo bullshit with BROFRIENDSHIP and god knows (cares?) what else.
The graphical expectation alone already puts them in the corner in how open and scripted the game will (most likely) be.

tumblr_lsqczfZgRz1r4teoho7_r1_250.gif

Soon soon soon. Anyway, it will be good to finally have more media and info on the cast and soundtrack.

dramatis

Dr Frasier Crane said:
Who wants to play the Japanese Release Date game for Versus?

Me first, I predict 10/01/2013 (using the correct DD/MM/YYYY format).

I'm listening.
This might be a viable NA/EU release date.

Of course, by then the apocalypse would have happened and none of us would be able to play Bearsauce.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Versus will almost certainly be out in Japan by the end of calendar year 2012, leaving a year's gap between XIII-2 and as a lead-in to PS3 XIV seems like optimal launch timing.

There's just no sense in releasing two big FF titles on the same platform so close together, you'd just end up cannibalizing your own sales - which is insane given the production cost.

Ravage

Can't wait. This is the proper console FF experience i've been waiting for this entire gen.

Leona Lewis said:
Name it Final Fantasy XV and call it a day. It'll remove some of that ugly XIII stench and keep up the tradition of three numbered FF's appearing in a given console cycle, at least.

Or maybe they can just call it Final Fantasy Versus.

Paracelsus

Ravage said:
Can't wait. This is the proper console FF experience i've been waiting for this entire gen.

Or maybe they can just call it Final Fantasy Versus.

I don't know, I'd rather call it Final Fantasy VS XIII without ever telling what "VS" means. Versus sounds a fighting game spin-off (not that it would change much, there's also Tales of VS which actually is a fighting game).

QisTopTier said:
No I'm pretty sure right now it's XIII-2's turn and then Versus hahaha :(

Kind of what I was thinking.

Either way would be nice, I just hope XIII-2 is an improvement and not in the same vane of XIII with the linearity. Couldn't bring myself to finish it.

I do think Versus is getting too much hype in my own head as the "JRPG that will rule them all" though, I have to curb my expectations.

DaBuddaDa

0 HP said:
i don't understand this logic. why would you care less about something just because its been been in development for a long time?
Hype fades, tastes change, people change, competing games are announced, etc.

Kaizer

Banned
I'll get excited in Spring 2013 when they finally release it for America, until then I continue to watch "news" on Versus XIII with the utmost amusement.

Hela

Too fucking late. I've long lost all the hype for the last 5 years and am tired of S-E spreading too thin with too many games.

hteng said:
5 years and it doesnt even have a release date and you are saying they are rushing this game? wha?

FFXIII had a 5 year develop period and that didn't exactly turn out well. Square need at least another 10 years to make it a good game.

Regulus Tera said:
Back in my day bombs meant something. Like, Sonikku in SumaBura and DoraQue going to DS. Now we are celebrating that Nomura has finally decided to continue on that game he told us he was making like a bazillion years ago.

This is what Gaming has become. A miserable little pile of announcements.

Your day was 3 years ago? Is your name Jack by any chance?

Famassu

Regulus Tera said:
Back in my day bombs meant something. Like, Sonikku in SumaBura and DoraQue going to DS. Now we are celebrating that Nomura has finally decided to continue on that game he told us he was making like a bazillion years ago.
He isn't "continuing" it, way to completely misunderstood what Nomura is saying... They are finally going to start hyping it the way they hype Final Fantasy games soon.

This is what Gaming has become. A miserable little pile of announcements.
I'm currently playing Deus Ex, El Shaddai, Alice: Madness Returns, just got Dark Souls and have Ace Combat: Assault Horizon on the way. Next month I'll get at least Skyward Sword, Rayman Origins and Tales of the Abyss 3DS, probably Uncharted 3 if I have the money. That's what my gaming looks like. Maybe you should start playing games instead of reading gaming forums & news...

Cornbread78

Is it safe to assume this will be a PS4 launch title? It almost makes perfect sense considerign how powerful they wanted this game to be.

Aeana

0 HP said:
i don't understand this logic. why would you care less about something just because its been been in development for a long time? with this game in particular, we've barely seen anything so what is there to be burnt out on? i'm sure when it does come out we'll know about it.
There comes a point when you've been hyped for something for so long that you start to become immune. It is really common.
Other things come out, your mindshare is spent, and your level of interest drops gradually. For example, I am now to the point with Type-0 that I don't really have any interest in going out to get it right away, I am perfectly fine with waiting until I have a Vita to play it on. Originally, it was a game I would have put everything aside for, and I was like the only person on GAF who cared about it for years.

dramatis

Spiffy_1st said:
FFXIII had a 5 year develop period and that didn't exactly turn out well. Square need at least another 10 years to make it a good game.
What the hell are you saying? They need at least 15 to make it decent. Another 5 to make it good.

The Kingdom Hearts fans will reach their 40s before they see the light of day on KH3.

Midou

Would be nice to see some legit Versus footage by, at latest, TGS 2012, and maybe even have it come out by holiday 2013...

SykoTech said:
At this point, either tell me when media is coming or just stay quiet.
I have a feeling that there will be a grand media event in January 2012 just to showcase this. Nomura did something like that in the past too.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Aeana said:
I wonder how many people will still care about the game by the time it comes out.

Well, it's not like there's too much else to care about in the pipeline for me :p

Then fucking show something. God.
Well, it's not like there's too much else to care about in the pipeline for me :p
Yeah, as if there is some huge amount of outstanding looking japanese games this gen.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Aeana said:
There comes a point when you've been hyped for something for so long that you start to become immune. It is really common.
Other things come out, your mindshare is spent, and your level of interest drops gradually. For example, I am now to the point with Type-0 that I don't really have any interest in going out to get it right away, I am perfectly fine with waiting until I have a Vita to play it on. Originally, it was a game I would have put everything aside for, and I was like the only person on GAF who cared about it for years.
That is a great point on how the mind works. It's also how I generally anticipate games. I'm not gonna go spastic and over excite when a game is far away. At some point that catches up and you end up losing interest.

I'm becoming more and more convinced their new engine won't run on current consoles and this whole time they've been working toward a 2013/14 launch release on PS4.

royalan

LiquidMetal14 said:
That is a great point on how the mind works. It's also how I generally anticipate games. I'm not gonna go spastic and over excite when a game is far away. At some point that catches up and you end up losing interest.

I think, too, that I've been spoiled by the tech industry and their relatively short time between product announcement and launch. Particularly with Apple and their "Hey! We just announced an awesome new product! Pre-Orders begin next week with the product launching two weeks after that. Enjoy!"

toleoring said:
also don't forget next year is Kingdom Hearts 10th anniversary...he has promised something is coming too.....
KH:FM, KH:RE:CoM, KH2:FM+ HD Collection plz (with KH2's camera controls).

Cornbread78

Fine Ham Abounds said:
I'm becoming more and more convinced their new engine won't run on current consoles and this whole time they've been working toward a 2013/14 launch release on PS4.

That's what I'm saying, but we have no idea how far into developement the game actually is, or how powerful they are making the Crystal Engine.

Galvanise_ said:
It'll be on everything under the sun.

Yeah most likely, it's obvious that Sony does not own teh IP and I'm sure MS will pay a small fortune to make sure it is launched as a Multiplat-title. I mean, DS, 3DS, PSP, VITA, PS2, PS3, PC and 360 copies would be incoming...

Top Bottom