• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nomura: It's Versus XIII's Turn (Obvious-age)

Throavium

Nomura: Avoid making a direct sequel to Kingdom Hearts for nearly 6 years. Troll his fans with prequels and mediocre spinoffs. Announce Versus XIII, it's now it's turn after 6 years.

i don't know what i'm feelign i promised myself to never get excited about games unless i'm sure they are coming out .. so right now i'm still calm ...but .... BUT .
At least it's not coming this year.

Famassu

Cornbread78 said:
That's what I'm saying, but we have no idea how far into developement the game actually is, or how powerful they are making the Crystal Engine.
Versus won't be a PS4 game. My god, it will quite likely be released in 2012 at least somewhere in the world, maybe even outside Japan. >_> Have you just conveniently forgotten this, shown 9 months ago?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiIx9VJWSl8

They've since revamped the lighting and maybe polished some things as they get further in development, but that doesn't look like a game that's super-early in development or something that's even worth speculating if it's being moved to next-gen platforms. Nomura has said how he'd really want KHIII to be developed for current-gen platforms after Versus, so I doubt he'd move the game preceeding it over to PS4 or other next-gen platforms. Nomura recently said he did a complete walkthrough of the overworld in Versus, which would imply that they are quite far in development.

Troll his fans with prequels and mediocre spinoffs.
If you consider Birth By Sleep, one of the best action RPGs ever, to be a troll, then sure. :| I'm perfectly happy with BBS and 3D will quite likely further satisfy my need for a KH fix for however long it takes for KHIII to be done.

I don't expect KHIII's development to take too long simply because it's an existing franchise and Nomura already has a clear view of where he's taking the series, its structure isn't the kind of (semi)open-world like Versus' is, the graphical style is simpler (they don't have to aim for replicating parts of Tokyo 1:1) and they now have know-how of PS3-level development. All of this means they should be able to jump into KHIII's development relatively fast and advance with it at a decently fast pace (just look at how fast they cranked up KH3D, a completely new KH with tons of new gameplay additions and all-new worlds).

As for platform, might be PS3, might be Wii U if PS3 is as dead as PSP is outside Japan by the time they think they might be ready with it.

Throavium

Famassu said:
If you consider Birth By Sleep, one of the best action RPGs ever, to be a troll, then sure. :| I'm perfectly happy with BBS and 3D will quite likely further satisfy my need for a KH fix for however long it takes for KHIII to be done.
I'm just getting tired of Nomura avoiding the direct sequel, it's what the fans want. I've played BBS to know that it's good, but I just don't care about the portable games. I would actually be more satisfied if 3D was on a console. But good lord man, it's been almost 6 years since Kingdom Hearts II.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
royalan said:
I think, too, that I've been spoiled by the tech industry and their relatively short time between product announcement and launch. Particularly with Apple and their "Hey! We just announced an awesome new product! Pre-Orders begin next week with the product launching two weeks after that. Enjoy!"
That's a good mind set to have too. All these things cause different reactions and emotions dependent on time. I would not announce a game until it's a least 50% complete. Not when there's not any coding done yet :p

Honestly I just don't know if Versus will ever make it out this gen. I could easily see this becoming Final Fantasy 15 and moving to PS4. As for Type Zero, I don' think we are going to see a western release for it. The PSP is just too dead outside of Japan to warrant it, certainly not a retail release and with its size I think its past PSN limitations. If I were to guess, I am thinking SE will make a Vita International version, and that will get localized.

Famassu

TheBanditKing said:
Honestly I just don't know if Versus will ever make it out this gen.
There's absolutely no doubt about it. Square Enix didn't move FFIX or XII to then-next gen consoles even though they were released close to or even after the next generation had launched, there's absolutely no reason they'd do it with Versus when they are so far along with its development atm.

Throavium said:
I'm just getting tired of Nomura avoiding the direct sequel, it's what the fans want. I've played BBS to know that it's good, but I just don't care about the portable games. I would actually be more satisfied if 3D was on a console. But good lord man, it's been almost 6 years since Kingdom Hearts II.
3D is a direct sequel, a Chain of Memories like bridge between KHII & III (except different in that it has completely new worlds and storylines, of course). I really don't see anything worth whining about when the games are really good, like BBS (and 3D, I'm sure). Just be happy that KH is a popular enough series for Kingdom Hearts III to actually happen, unlike something like Zone of the Enders 3. :(

What is the logic behind all these "just name it FFXV and move it to the ps4" posts? That would cost a lot more money, a lot more time, and the ps4 has no user base. Versus XIII will come out for ps3 and not any next gen system, regardless of when it releases.

Famassu

-Pyromaniac- said:
Didn't you know? If a game is in development for more than 2 years, you have to ignore it, no matter how much you've complained about the lack of big budget console JRPGs during this generation in the past...

They should add a multiplayer Versus mode to this game to make up for the long development period

Think about it! Versus in Versus! We need to go deeper!

Famassu said:
Didn't you know? If a game is in development for more than 2 years, you have to ignore it, no matter how much you've complained about the lack of big budget console JRPGs during this generation in the past...

In all fairness, you have to admit that announcing the game, complete with teaser trailer 6 years ago was a woefully foolish decision.

PairOfFilthySocks said:
In all fairness, you have to admit that announcing the game, complete with teaser trailer 6 years ago was a woefully foolish decision.
I don't think they expected it would take 6 years.

What's really foolish is how SE's marketing department has been handling this game since then. They've been trying their hardest to keep it a secret and not letting anyone outside the company see it. Most of this game's trailers have been shown in closed mega theaters, and ever since the last one earlier this year, there has been no new media. The wait would be a lot more bearable if we had frequent updates and new media to look at.

PairOfFilthySocks said:
I think it was questionable but I don't think it was necessarily bad.

Famassu

PairOfFilthySocks said:
In retrospect, yes. At the time the whole Fabula Nova Crystalis announcement was received really well (basically "NO WAY, TWO FINAL FANTASY GAMES FOR PS3 OMGWTFBBQLULZ! GET HYPE! oh, and some shitty mobile phone game, BUT OHMYGOD 2 PS3 FFs!"). It's no different from them announcing FFX, XI & XII at the same time, really.

I feel people probably wouldn't be so annoyed about this taking so long if Kitase & Co had had their act together and FFXIII had delivered at least another FFX-level game. As it is, they had to wait for a long time for a disappointment, even longer for a great-looking Type-0 that is seemingly never being released outside Japan and are still waiting for what, to many, looks like the best FNC title.

Had the release schedule gone something like FFXIII (a better one than we got) = end of 2008, Type-0 = end of 2010 and Versus XIII = end of 2012, I'm not sure we'd be having this conversation.

royalan

3D is a direct sequel, a Chain of Memories like bridge between KHII & III (except different in that it has completely new worlds and storylines, of course). I really don't see anything worth whining about when the games are really good, like BBS (and 3D, I'm sure). Just be happy that KH is a popular enough series for Kingdom Hearts III to actually happen, unlike something like Zone of the Enders 3. :(

Kinda off-topic, but can I just say that I hate (HATE) that Square-Enix did this? I have never been a handheld gamer. Never have been, never will be. I hated (HATED) that I had to scour the web for summaries of the handheld games to understand what the hell was going on in KHII, and who the fuck all these new characters were. If you're a console gamer going straight from KHI to II there's no way for you to know what the hell is going on for the first half of the game.

And now I'm expected to do that with KHIII!? FFFUUUUUUU....

All games telling the main story of a series should be on ONE platform. Not split between two different-gen consoles and two handhelds. UGH!

Had the release schedule gone something like FFXIII (a better one than we got) = end of 2008, Type-0 = end of 2010 and Versus XIII = end of 2012, I'm not sure we'd be having this conversation.

Fan reaction wouldn't be as bad if this were the case, but I think it would still be bad. Don't get me wrong, I've been aboard the Square fanboat since VI, but I said even back during the PS2 era that Japanese devs needs to get their shit together with their release schedules. I came into RPGs in the PS1 era...when we got not one, but THREE main Final Fantasy titles in a three-year span of time. And that's JUST the Final Fantasy titles! That's something the Square of today could never accomplish, and hasn't.

That's why I'm glad to hear that they've already begun significant work on their next gen engine and tools, because next Gen Square needs to hit the ground running.

royalan said:
Kinda off-topic, but can I just say that I hate (HATE) that Square-Enix did this? I have never been a handheld gamer. Never have been, never will be. I hated (HATED) that I had to scour the web for summaries of the handheld games to understand what the hell was going on in KHII, and who the fuck all these new characters were. If you're a console gamer going straight from KHI to II there's no way for you to know what the hell is going on for the first half of the game.

All games telling the main story of a series should be on ONE platform. Not split between two different-gen consoles and two handhelds. UGH!

Fan reaction wouldn't be as bad if this were the case, but I think it would still be bad. Don't get me wrong, I've been aboard the Square fanboat since VI, but I said even back during the PS2 era that Japanese devs needs to get their shit together with their release schedules. I came into RPGs in the PS1 era...when we got not one, but THREE main Final Fantasy titles in a three-year span of time. And that's JUST the Final Fantasy titles! That's something the Square of today could never accomplish, and hasn't.

That's why I'm glad to hear that they've already begun significant work on their next gen engine and tools, because next Gen Square needs to hit the ground running.

Actually, Kh1 -> Kh2 made sense if you ignored CoM. Sora's memories were erased so if you went in without playing CoM it's actually better that way.

Kh2 -> Kh3 won't be the same unless Sora loses his memories again.

Famassu

royalan said:
I came into RPGs in the PS1 era...when we got not one, but THREE main Final Fantasy titles in a three-year span of time.
Final Fantasy VI 1994
Final Fantasy VII early 1997
Final Fantasy VIII early 1999
Final Fantasy IX mid-2000

Wut?

late-edit: and on the other hand:

Type-0 late 2011
XIII-2 late 2011
Versus XIII late 2012?

Three FF games within a span of one year!

And that's JUST the Final Fantasy titles! That's something the Square of today could never accomplish, and hasn't.
Square Enix developed games in within the last three years (there are more where they've had a more or less significant creative role, i.e. Dragon Quest IX):

The Last Remnant
XIII
Dissidia
Dissidia 012
FFCC: Echoes of Time
FFCC: Crystal Bearers
3rd Birthday
Birth By Sleep
SaGa 2 remake
Lord of Vermillion II
Final Fantasy: Four Heroes of Light
Tactics Ogre: LUCT
Type-0
XIII-2
Final Fantasy IV Complete Collection
Final Fantasy XIV

I count five completely new FF JRPGs within three years, seven if we count the Crystal Chronicles games, which is almost a series of its own, at this point... Not sure if their output was any bigger otherwise either (quality-wise they were perhaps more consistant, though I'd put games like Birth By Sleep, The World Ends With You, Dissidia etc. up there as some of the best game they've ever made and Type-0 looks like a good candidate for such honorary mention too)

MAtgS

royalan said:

Oh don't worry, KHIII will probably be handheld as well.

dramatis

Famassu said:
I count five completely new FF JRPGs within three years, seven if we count the Crystal Chronicles games, which is almost a series of its own, at this point... Not sure if their output was any bigger otherwise either (quality-wise they were perhaps more consistant, though I'd put games like Birth By Sleep, The World Ends With You, Dissidia etc. up there as some of the best game they've ever made and Type-0 looks like a good candidate for such honorary mention too)
Here's the case though, look over there at that company called Namco Bandai that actually developed and released more HD games than Square for this generation, as well as releasing quite a good deal on handhelds also.

I suppose the main issue here is that Square's flagship franchises (all 3 of them) take ages to spit out a new mainline entry, and to the people who are accustomed to playing these games on consoles rather than handhelds this is a double affront.

Reveirg

Famassu said:
I count five completely new FF JRPGs within three years, seven if we count the Crystal Chronicles games, which is almost a series of its own, at this point...

Speaking of which, is S-E done with the CC franchise? It's been a while since The Crystal Bearers came out and nothing's been announced... what is the development team up to?

It's a shame, they weren't as good as the main series or some of the spin-offs, but they still were nice, quirky and unique games.

royalan

Actually, Kh1 -> Kh2 made sense if you ignored CoM. Sora's memories were erased so if you went in without playing CoM it's actually better that way.

Uhhhh, no?

If you don't play Chain of Memories (or read a summary of it), you don't know:

--What the hell is this opening cinematic about?
--Who the hell is Nomine???
--WHY am I playing as this blond dude that KINDA looks like Sora, but isn't Sora?
--WHO are these cloaked characters? And why does the game keep presenting the red-headed one as though I (the player) should know who he is?
--What is Mickey even TALKING about????
--WHY is Sora, Donald and Goofy sleeping in pods???

The game does eventually do a halfway decent job backtracking on the story that's not present in the actual game. But you're completely lost for the first 10 hours of the game (at LEAST) if you know nothing about Chain of Memories.

Final Fantasy VI 1994
Final Fantasy VII early 1997
Final Fantasy VIII early 1999
Final Fantasy IX mid-2000

Wut?

Wasn't counting VI in that.

Well, we got VII VIII and IX within 3 1/2 - 4 years. My point still stands. The mainline FF franchise was on a timely and consistent development cycle during the PS1 era in a way that Square-Enix has not been able to replicate since.

Speaking of which, is S-E done with the CC franchise? It's been a while since The Crystal Bearers came out and nothing's been announced... what is the development team up to?

It's a shame, they weren't as good as the main series or some of the spin-offs, but they still were nice, quirky and unique games.

Crystal Bearers was the biggest disappointment for me on the Wii. I had such high hopes for the game...but, as per usual for Square this era, it took forever to come out and, when it finally did, it was a puddle of disappointment. :(

Famassu

dramatis said:
Here's the case though, look over there at that company called Namco Bandai that actually developed and released more HD games than Square for this generation, as well as releasing quite a good deal on handhelds also.
How many have they actually developed (we can at least leave HD games like Eternal Sonata, Dark Souls, Enslaved & all of CyberConnect 2's games out of the picture right away)? How big is Namco Bandai in comparison to Square Enix? Isn't Square Enix actually quite SMALL as far as having actual development staff goes? That's why they have to juggle teams around all the time, helping out whoever is the closest to finishing their game at any given time. Not sure if nearly as much of that happens at Namco. Their Tales team(s) develop Tales games, Ace Combat team develops Ace Combats etc. Compared to Square Enix where the Type-0's development team worked on Crisis Core, 3rd Birthday and Type-0 after the announcement of ex-Agito XIII, KH Team helped with XIII (and who knows what else) and whatnot.

neptunes

For a game this long in development, This game better have the best camera system, fighting mechanics, boss fights, overworld etc...

Anything less than absolute polish and perfection would be a embarrassment.

neptunes said:
For a game this long in development, This game better have the best camera system, fighting mechanics, boss fights, overworld etc...

Agreed.

But it's not like anyone else is offering what these guys are promising.

Khrno

Given that XIV 2.0 is coming in about a year, which means a big relaunch will be in order during that time, I can hardly see Versus releasing anytime within 2012 CY.

However, I can see Versus and the PS3 version of XIV being released next to each other (to draw players towards XIV thanks to Versus) within the first months of 2013.

Although being realistic, a first expansion for XIV might be released first than Versus.

Edit: A good possibility, if the game is somewhere near completion, is that it'll be released in around a year, and it'll include access to XIV's PS3 beta.

neptunes said:

yeah because the history of games with long development times indicates that this would be the case...

......notttttttttttttttttttttt.

royalan

-Pyromaniac- said:
yeah because the history of games with long development times indicates that this would be the case...

......notttttttttttttttttttttt.

I think that's exactly what he's highlighting.

Famassu

royalan said:
Wasn't counting VI in that.
Point being, there was a kind of a big 3 year gap between VI & VII, lots of trial & error during the creation process that they did NOT repeat while developing FFVIII, so developing it didn't take as long. Not sure if you noticed my late edit, but you could make it seem like they have a super-fast pace now too. XIII in 2010, Type-0 in Fall 2011, XIII-2 in January 2012 & Versus possibly 6-10 months later. There's more to these releases than just looking blindly at release dates.

Well, we got VII VIII and IX within 3 1/2 - 4 years. My point still stands. The mainline FF franchise was on a timely and consistent development cycle during the PS1 era in a way that Square-Enix has not been able to replicate since.
Well, again, you're ignoring the fact that VII took a long time to develop and IX took "only" 1,5 years after VIII because it had another team developing it alongside VIII. Also, they continued such brisk pace long into the PS2 era (FFIX in 2000, FFX in 2001, FFXI in 2002 + plenty of add-ons in a decent pace, FFX-2 in 2003). It wasn't until FFXII that they first started having problems with the FF series (other teams seemed to have a harder time accustoming to develop PS2-level games earlier on already). And that kind of spiraled everything out of their control. The originally envisioned PS2 XIII was scrapped after Kitase's team got a taste of what they could achieve on next-gen consoles while XII still wasn't released, which lead to White Engine/Crystal Tools and we all know what that ended up causing.

royalan

Point being, there was a kind of a big 3 year gap between VI & VII, lots of trial & error during the creation process that they did NOT repeat while developing FFVIII, so developing it didn't take as long. Not sure if you noticed my late edit, but you could make it seem like they have a super-fast pace now too. XIII in 2010, Type-0 in Fall 2011, XIII-2 in January 2012 & Versus possibly 6-10 months later. There's more to these releases than just looking blindly at release dates.

Well, one of those games you mentioned does have the benefit of reused assets from a previous game. Nor would I really give Type-0 the same weight as a PS1 game. Don't get me wrong, Type-0 seems like it's going to have a lot of depth for a PSP game (my personal selection for Best Title of the FNC series), but producing a PSP game in 2010 isn't the same as making a PS1 game in 1998.

The PS1 still had three flagship, unique, console FF titles released on a consistent timeline.

Well, again, you're ignoring the fact that VII took a long time to develop and IX took "only" 1,5 years after VIII because it had another team developing it alongside VIII. Also, they continued such brisk pace long into the PS2 era (FFIX in 2000, FFX in 2001, FFXI in 2002 + plenty of add-ons in a decent pace, FFX-2 in 2003). It wasn't until FFXII that they first started having problems with the FF series (other teams seemed to have a harder time accustoming to develop PS2-level games earlier on already). And that kind of spiraled everything out of their control. The originally envisioned PS2 XIII was scrapped after Kitase's team got a taste of what they could achieve on next-gen consoles while XII still wasn't released, which lead to White Engine/Crystal Tools and we all know what that ended up causing.

I understand what you're saying, and I'm not disagreeing with a lot of it. But you're pointing out a lot of the reasons why I said that Square Enix's project management has been absolutely abysmal this gen.

I'm expecting, just as you are, that their tune is going to change with the next gen. I just think that it's too late for the remaining Square Enix titles for this gen to get the same type of attention that a Square game used to so easily command.

Top Bottom