• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nomura Says Final Fantasy VII Remake & Kingdom Hearts IIIs Releases Still A Ways Off

wmlk

Don't think they're adding anything extra to 1.5 + 2.5. Doesn't sound like that's being released with much fanfare. It's probably going to be something separate like Duscae if anything. There's not much else to package to right now.

But then it wouldn't be called 2.9 based on Nomura's naming convention, lol.

To be honest I never even thought we would get anything else aside from KH3 after 2.8.
The secret movie feels like it goes DIRECTLY into KH3 with them going to the first world, Olympus.

DemiMatt

Will you release a complete package including Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.5 Remix and Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8: Final Chapter Prologue?

“Because the timing is delicate, we won’t be releasing anything like a complete pack this time, but we’re preparing a box that can hold both games, as is often the case with DVDs. Perhaps we can offer it as an e-Store bonus.”

We're definitely going to get a KH 2.9 which includes 1.5, 2.5 , & 2.8 before KH3 comes out.

I suspect 2020 may be when we see that.

When we see KH3 & FF7 . . . time will tell.

hichanbis

Banned
Ok I know how I'm gonna sound but I feel like I have to share it.
I know a guy who knows a dev at cyberconnect and from what he knows FFVIIR1 is planned for a release early 2019.

I have no way to check but he has no reason to lie to me. Sorry for the bad news, I would hate to be right again.

PS: Don't be too fast to laugh at me this time. Remember the p5 delay.

Gbraga

I know a guy who knows a dev at cyberconnect and from what he knows FFVIIR1 is planned for a release early 2019.

I have no way to check but he has no reason to lie to me. Sorry for the bad news, I would hate to be right again.

kvQ2uSs.gif

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
This is so ridiculous, Square is a joke. I was hoping since FF7R was using UE4 that would expediate the development process but now it looks like we'll be lucky to get Part 1 by Fall 2018.

Wonder what the hell is going on to where they could screw this up so badly.

Lynx_7

If neither KH3 nor FF VII is slated for 2017 then this makes the most sense I guess. KH3 for 2018 and FF VII the following year.

This is so ridiculous, Square is a joke. I was hoping since FF7R was using UE4 that would expediate the development process but now it looks like we'll be lucky to get Part 1 by Fall 2018.

If they get it out in 2018 that would be really fast by AAA standards.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
If they get it out in 2018 that would be really fast by AAA standards.

Are we talking the whole game or just the Midgard/Part 1 section?

We're closing in on two years since the announcement. The game was in planning for quite some time and everything is ready to go in terms of story, characters, locales etc.

Fall 2018 is what I'm hoping for when Nomura says "won't be out for awhile", so no that's not really fast by any standards.

Cybrwzrd

Banned

Nomura is going on. Man is a gifted visionary and a brilliant designer, but hes a perfectionist and I have a feeling a horrible micromanger, so he gets mired in details and never actually directs.

Given that it was announced in 2015 I don't 3 years of development is that bad.

We're closing in on two years since the announcement. The game was in planning for quite some time and everything is ready to go in terms of story, characters, locales etc.

Fall 2018 is what I'm hoping for when Nomura says "won't be out for awhile", so no that's not really fast by any standards.

Considering that each game is supposed to have roughly the content of a fully fledged Final Fantasy, that is a pretty decent dev time. These games are not episodic in the usual sense if SE is to be believed.

artsi

It's not a Nomura project if it's not horribly delayed, lol.

JayEH

Square pls. Their announcement to release schedule is so fucked.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Considering that each game is supposed to have roughly the content of a fully fledged Final Fantasy, that is a pretty decent dev time. These games are not episodic in the usual sense if SE is to be believed.

You know, this kind of scares me. Square's standards of what content in a full Final Fantasy is have dropped recently.

I don't think they can tell Final Fantasy VII's story in 3x FF XV without playing like chapter 9 on.

You know, this kind of scares me. Square's standards of what content in a full Final Fantasy is have dropped recently.

I don't think they can tell Final Fantasy VII's story in 3x FF XV without playing like chapter 9 on.

Well FFXV focused on being a JRPG with an open world. A vast majority of that game is the big open-world regions you run around and do quests in. FFVII:R I imagine will be a the standard linear JRPG with some sidequests along the way. The only way VII:R would have issues fitting the original game's story in 3 games would be if they adopted the open world style for it which I don't believe they would do for a second.

I'm not too worried. XV had plenty of content. The problem is that most of it was boring and unrelated to the story itself. I believe Nomura to have a generally stronger grasp on making content meaningful and engaging.

Well FFXV focused on being a JRPG with an open world. A vast majority of that game is the big open-world regions you run around and do quests in. FFVII:R I imagine will be a the standard linear JRPG with some sidequests along the way. The only way VII:R would have issues fitting the original game's story in 3 games would be if they adopted the open world style for it which I don't believe they would do for a second.

This is going to be really interesting to see. I'm curious how Nomura is going to adapt VII's world map. He didn't like the traditional world map for HD development, which is why XV opted for a different path, so VII's fate is up in the air there.

ackl

I wonder if they're going for the .hack approach, like you know, release the first part after a few years then release the other parts in shorter time intervals. Maybe that's why "it's a still ways off."

Who am I kidding...that's not gonna happen.

I really don't know why I played myself like a damn fiddle. I thought since the kh collections were so close we'd get kh3 Because why the heck are they two months apart other than to try nd get ppl caught up fast. Foolish of me it's simply another here, here's a bone to play with for another two years

RK128

So basically KH0.2 (the Aqua game within the 2.8 HD collection) hints at a KH2.9? Um.....while that is baffling to be honest considering they SHOULD have KH3 ready for Fall 2017/Early 2018 at this point, it sorta makes sense.

While we all thought 0.2 would be the 'Demo' like how FFXV got two of them (one bundled with Type-0 and another one that went up on PSN/XBL), they do indeed plan on having a special demo for KH3 bundled with something.....maybe FFVII Remake Part 1 if that releases this year? The next Tomb Raider if Square has the next one ready for this fall?

If this is indeed the plan.....I'm not too upset. People have things within KH's to play using KH3's combat systems and mechanics, the story can continue (even if by bits and pieces) and the development team will not feel overly pressured (which is important, considering they originally were making 3DS and PSP games before being assigned to KH3).

I honestly think FFVII Remake will follow the .Hack model someone mentioned in this thread before. The first part has a long development cycle while the other three parts release not long after (every 6-8 months) so development is both rapid and fast.

I would be completely fine if that was true. 3 - 4 years is standard for a AAA game, and when they announced it in 2015 they barely had anything in it. So 4 years of dev starting more or less when they announced it would be 2019. The mistake is having announced it so damn early.

Like I said earlier, KH3 is the one I'm salty about. 4 years of dev starting when they announced it would be 2017, but it sounds like we aren't getting it this year (and so far they won't even commit to 2018). That's the ridiculous part.

Exentryk

High the secret ending is called 2.9 volume 1, so there has to be something else to follow this up.

Unless Nomura plans to add more secret scene's into 1.5 and 2.5 for PS4.

It's likely just the endings/cutscenes rather than a full fledged game called 2.9.
Nomura pls.

HeelPower

I am afraid FF7R is a project that may never be complete.

Lets say part 1 is finally completed under Nomura and Kitase's direction,who's to say part 2 & 3(or however many) will also be completed with any sense of consistency?

A shitty shift of direction or outright dev hell can easily happen for the other parts.

We would do better to distance ourselves from this project so that when shit hits the fan,we dont get too hurt.

Gbraga

Lets say part 1 is finally completed under Nomura and Kitase's direction,who's to say part 2 & 3(or however many) will also be completed with any sense of consistency?

A shitty shift of direction or outright dev hell can easily happen for the other parts.

We would do better to distance ourselves from this project so that when shit hits the fan,we dont get too hurt.

There's also the possibility that Part 1 comes out, it's great, fans love it, but doesn't exactly get outstanding sales and reviews. What will that mean for Part 2 and 3? Will they get a much lower budget?

It makes my head shudder uncontrollably.

There's also the possibility that Part 1 comes out, it's great, fans love it, but doesn't exactly get outstanding sales and reviews. What will that mean for Part 2 and 3? Will they get a much lower budget?

It makes my head shudder uncontrollably.

I would be genuinely stunned if the first episode of VIIR doesn't sell like nuts. If the product gets backlash then I could totally see a drop off in subsequent episodes, but the name alone should be plenty to push part 1.

I still believe 2.9 is just the cutscene at the end of KH 0.2

The final cutscene of KH 0.2 in my opinion DIRECTLY leads to KH3.

I'll spoiler tag this I guess.
The ending Cutscene for 0.2 shows Sora and the gang heading to Olympus to train.
Olympus is one of the worlds revealed in KH3's 2015 E3 Trailer
Sora is wearing his KH2 attire in the Olympus Portion of the trailer.
Nomura confirmed KH3 would start differently compared to previous entries. Starting in a familiar Disney World would fit this.
Sora has his KH3 attire in the Tangled portion of the 2015 trailer which leads me to believe Olympus is the intro world and Sora will get his new clothes shortly after.

Again I could be wrong and they make another game, but I honestly don't see it happening.

Gbraga

I would be genuinely stunned if the first episode of VIIR doesn't sell like nuts. If the product gets backlash then I could totally see a drop off in subsequent episodes, but the name alone should be plenty to push part 1.

I'm sure it'll sell a lot, I'm just not sure if it'll sell enough for Square's at times nonsensical expectations.

But you're right, sales for the first game are guaranteed, negative reception would only affect sales for the second game, and I don't think S-E would preemptively lower the budget for the sequel.

So, Nomura's the John K. of video games.

Well he's not an asshole to other game developers, so no.

There's a pretty high level of exaggeration in terms of how long of a "delay" this is for FFVII. Anyone who legitimately thought this was coming out in time for the anniversary year is insane. Best case, it'll get a demo or a brotherhood type of series. KH III is a disaster and will remain a disaster until it releases and the series subsequently receives a soft reboot.

The sequels will be much easier than the first game to make. The first game will have to build a new combat system, assets from the ground up, etc.

Once the first one is done, the others should hopefully take a year or two less time. I doubt SE intends on this being a 12-15 year project, they probably plan to have it all done in 8-9 years.

Byvar

What would count as 0.1 to make all this Nomur-ical system shit work?
Birth by Sleep, seeing as 0.2 is BBS volume 2.
( But going by the same system, 2.9 vol 2 could actually be KH3? :eek: )
I still believe 2.9 is just the cutscene at the end of KH 0.2
I want to believe this too, but then why include "volume 1" in the title?
Not to reference that Olympus is KH3's first world, otherwise it would be III Volume 1.
The only other logical explanation I could find is that there would be multiple secret cutscenes, and people just haven't found them yet. Or perhaps they want to troll us with the crazy numerical system, see above.

And why would they reveal that
Olympus is Sora's destination
?
It would totally kill the surprise of any "in medias res" start for KH3 if it were to start off in Olympus, and if it would start slowly I can't see it starting in Olympus either, unless the writing team has lost its touch completely. It would be like ending KH2 by displaying the contents of the letter in the bottle.

At some point I really thought that the first part could make it to celebrate the 20th anniversary, but oh wel...

So we'll have our FFVII Remake in full by 2023 I suppose? I want to die?

FFVI will be sometime around 2050 at this rate.

I need that VI remake, even if it's released 30 years from now lol

So in 2021, Square Enix will announce that Nomura has been moved to a different project and FFVIIR has been renamed FFXVI.

KH3 might come out on current hardware though.

Carn82

I wonder if they're going for the .hack approach, like you know, release the first part after a few years then release the other parts in shorter time intervals. Maybe that's why "it's a still ways off."

Who am I kidding...that's not gonna happen.

I do think that a lot of development will be front loaded. The first game will need to have most of the gameplay systems, designs and animations, rendering and engine technology (sure, it might be UE4 but it will still have some tweaks), etc. If part 1 is solid it's a jump start for the other parts.

Top Bottom