• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Not much for soundtracks, but Nier: Automatas is beautiful

Mikey Jr.

Yeah, 99% of the time, I really don't care about music in games. "Best soundtrack in videogames" for Goty?

Pass.

I really could not care less. Soundtrack is the lowest rung in terms of quality of a game.

But my God. Nier: Automata. This hit me like a god damn TON OF BRICKS.

I don't use the word beautiful when describing music in general, but this music is beautiful. It's haunting. It's sad. It can be bizarre....but great!

I know when these threads usually pop up, half the time I don't even bother checking them out. "Ok, I clicked the link, sounds cool. See ya!"

It's one of those things where you have to play the game I think to really appreciate it. It is a sad world in Nier, and this music complements it greatly.

I wish I could but the cd for a reasonable price somewhere in Canada, but the damn prices are outrageous.

Anyways, I just wanted to make this thread in my own little appreciation of the music, even if it only gets 1 reply.

Here are three of my favourite tracks from the game, if you are so inclined, with a ton more too. Amazing game also. Just beat it.

City Ruins (Rays of Light)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzGy5rlrBzc

Birth of a Wish (Final Version)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WDOaX6OHig

Become as Gods
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9Ku9HIumpM

Bonus Persona 5 best music!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwKHxzfmAOY

Couldn't agree more, the music in this game is one of the best I've heard in a while.

It and the P5 soundtrack have been in constant rotation on my commute.

Arklite

It's fantastic, and the original Nier's soundtrack is right up there with it if you missed it.

The track that plays in the theme park is my favorite.

SephLuis

I used to be like that, but once you listen to a OST you really like you end up finding many, many others.

Nier Automata and Persona 5 are the standouts for me this year. And there's Ys 8 to be released later this year and I really like Falcom OSTs

PBalfredo

Absolutely check out the soundtrack of the original Nier if you haven't done so already. It's absolutely just as good and in the same style too. Some of the tracks from Nier show up in Automata, too.

taa0098

Neo Member
It's fantastic, and the original Nier's soundtrack is right up there with it if you missed it.

Yup. Definitely go back and listen to the original Nier's ost if you haven't.

Song of the Ancients-Devola

The Wretched Automatons

Temple of the Drifting Sands

Kaine Salvation (
I know, this one is in Automata as well
)

These are just the ones I tend to come back to, the entire ost is incredible. Music is usually something that draws me to games, so I'm always glad to see games like autuomata and p5 get recognized for their music by people who don't usually care.

gngf123

The highlights of the OST for me are Become as Gods, Weight of the World, and the Bunker theme.

The whole thing is absolutely amazing though. My favourite OST in years.

LowParry

It's pretty good. But...99% of your games you don't care for music? I find that very odd. Music is usually a big key in games. Ys is a great example.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Holy fuck dude, this one just got me.

God damn.

Who is this composer? Is is one guy?

Okabe and his studio Monaca. He's the composer but he has an entire studio of his own, including Emi evans, Jnique nicole and such working with them

Mikey Jr.

It's pretty good. But...99% of your games you don't care for music? I find that very odd. Music is usually a big key in games. Ys is a great example.

Dunno. Obviously I would miss it not being in a game for sure. But I'm not listening to the Uncharted 4 soundtrack in my spare time.

I think for me, it's the mix of the game scenarios/story, and the music that hooked me.

taa0098

Neo Member
Holy fuck dude, this one just got me.

God damn.

Who is this composer? Is is one guy?

As the others have said, it's Keichi Okabe and his composing studio, Monaco. They're fantastic. Also make sure you listen to the other 2 versions of that song; Song of the Ancients: Popola, and Song of the Ancients: Fate.

Glad I could help spread good music :)

Great OST but I like the music in the first game more.
I haven't even played the first game and Kaine (Salvation) hits me right in the feels.

I'd rather keep the moment such an astoundingly beautiful song plays a mystery than end up disappointed.

Also, Adam and Eve boss theme and Copied City are both amazing. The best part? Okabe didn't even compose that last one - that's how good his team is.

Pick up the soundtrack to the oringal NieR as well!

I haven't even played Automata yet but it's soundtrack is god-tier. My fav is "Beautiful Song"
https://youtu.be/YMKskuvJTcs
Nor did he compose this one.

MONACA is God-tier, and Okabe is a God-tier sound director.

HeelPower

The OST is revolutionary from a technical standpoint.

Dynamic music was attempted before ,but not nearly at this level of near technical perfection.

Superb music,industry-leading sound engineering if you ask me.

LowParry

Dunno. Obviously I would miss it not being in a game for sure. But I'm not listening to the Uncharted 4 soundtrack in my spare time.

I think for me, it's the mix of the game scenarios/story, and the music that hooked me.

Yeah I getcha. There's always those catchy OSTs out there though. Metal Gear Rising always gets me. And going back to older Tekken OSTs is fantastic. You should check out Nier's OST. Really good.

That's because the soundtrack for UC4 is forgettable as hell. UC2, on the other hand, would be a slightly worse game without the fantastic themes in there.

Music is huge for me. It can mean the difference between a good vs. great game, and can do a TON of heavy lifting if the developer makes good use of it.

LotusHD

Banned

Nah, I can relate. I used to be the same in that I obviously appreciate music in game, and have various songs I remember and all, but I never really gave it that much thought. And i definitely didn't go out of my way to listen to them on YouTube.

I hadn't done much gaming in quite some time, but I had played Undertale like a year ago. The music in that was amazing to the point where it just basically awakened my interest in video game music in general. Now if a game has good music, I make more of an effort to listen to it as often as possible, to discuss it with others, etc. I dunno, it's weird, but now I'm basically obsessed with it lol

As for Automata, best OST this gen imo. Not just because the songs are good, because of course, a ton of games have great music. But the way it masterfully implements it into the game is just on another level. Perfect example of this is the Opera Boss (E3 trailer), Become as Gods, etc. As for the first game, the OST was so good that I was initially going to play it just so I could hear its music, regardless of whether or not it was a cult classic.

Kvik

I completed that "red riding hood" quest line and this harrowing music starts playing. The atmosphere is already heavy as hell in that carcass of a building. The music just cemented it even further.

This game is very special.

Arkeband

Banned
Drakengard 3 has at least two songs worth mentioning, too:

The Silence is Mine

Kuroi Uta (The Black Song) - this one's interesting because it's specifically composed as a companion to a rhythm game, video is a spoiler for the end of D3 if you're ever planning to suffer through its awful gameplay.

The Intoner sister battle themes are pretty cool as well.

Crayon

It's really somwthing else. Makes the soundtracks of other games I'm playing feel like backseat flourishes.

I haven't finished Automata yet, but so far I'm inclined to agree with opinions I've read elsewhere that the first game had the better soundtrack. So if you thought Automata's OST is good...

Honestly, there should be a soundtrack thread for the stuff that has come out so far this year.

Nioh
Persona 5
Nier
BOTW

etc great stuff this year.

Nier doesn't have a single song I dislike, it's that good.

I'd say the soundtrack by itself was better in the original NieR but the sound design in Automata is what elevates it for me. Each track has various versions that switch out in clever and some really subtle ways. One of the best that was pointed out to me was the quiet key notes of the Amusement Park just as you see it for the first time.

The best moment of the game for me was when (End game spoilers)
the choir kicks in during ending E. It couldn't be more perfect.

Honestly, there should be a soundtrack thread for the stuff that has come out so far this year.

Nioh
Persona 5
Nier
BOTW

etc great stuff this year.

Nier doesn't have a single song I dislike, it's that good.
Yakuza 0 and Gravity Rush 2 are really good too.

LordKasual

Banned
Alien Manifestation was stuck in my head for like a week after playing the demo on Hard mode.

Recently got to the amusement park and the cycle continues

cj_iwakura

Drakengard 3 has at least two songs worth mentioning, too:

The Silence is Mine

Kuroi Uta (The Black Song) - this one's interesting because it's specifically composed as a companion to a rhythm game, video is a spoiler for the end of D3 if you're ever planning to suffer through its awful gameplay.

The Intoner sister battle themes are pretty cool as well.

Notably Gabriel.

So you thought you could change the world?! WELL THIS IS WHAT YOU FUCKING GET!

I'd say the soundtrack by itself was better in the original NieR but the sound design in Automata is what elevates it for me. Each track has various versions that switch out in clever and some really subtle ways. One of the best that was pointed out to me was the quiet key notes of the Amusement Park just as you see it for the first time.

The best moment of the game for me was when (End game spoilers)
the choir kicks in during ending E. It couldn't be more perfect.

Yakuza 0 and Gravity Rush 2 are really good too.

You can't list best OSTs of the year without Gravity Rush 2.

You two are right about that, there's just so many amazing soundtracks that are out right now. I think along with a game of the year thread there should be one for best soundtrack.

Top Bottom