• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Not much for soundtracks, but Nier: Automatas is beautiful

Agreed. Installed iTunes just to buy the soundtrack. Amusement Park, Fortress of Lies, Pascal and both City Ruins tracks are some of my favorites.

LotusHD

Banned
I wonder how ecstatic you were when the announced Gravity Automata cross over.

Kat looks sick as 2B ;)

Lol, you should've seen the thread awhile back where they first announced they were going to make it. The first page was full of comments wondering how happy I was, because I kept posting that fanart, hoping they'd actually do it since they hinted they would

Lol, you should've seen the thread awhile back where they first announced they were going to make it. The first page was full of comments wondering how happy I was, because I kept posting that fanart, hoping they'd actually do it since they hinted they would

Now we just need that kat outfit for 2B and then it will be complete.

HeelPower

haha I missed it.

Glad it happened for you :)

gngf123

The best moment of the game for me was when (End game spoilers)
the choir kicks in during ending E. It couldn't be more perfect.

Best use of music by far in my opinion for so many reasons.

Not only the choir which includes developers of the game (even Yoko Taro!), kicking in and really pushing that moment of receiving help. You also have the multiple languages telling different stories from the perspectives of different characters, and in English does that while also clearly foreshadowing what is about to happen in route E and what the game expects you to do to get there. Seriously, the chorus basically spells it out:

'Cause we’re gonna shout it loud
Even if our words seem meaningless
It’s like I’m carrying the weight of the world

I wish that someway, somehow
That I can save everyone of us
But the truth is that I’m only one girl.

Maybe if I keep believing my dreams will come to life.
Come to life…

sandy1297

Couldnt agree more, this is the best soundtrack for me since TLoU which is God tier.

I cant get the amusement park theme out of my head for days

I am literally listening to Nier Automata's OST while I am grading midterm papers^^ Top shelf OST, this one, and the fact thst it is in such a great game to begin with really helps elevate both to truly memorable stuff^^

13ruce

Banned
THIS CANNOT CONTINUE
BECOME AS GODS

I really love how well the music changes based on gameplay and story segments.

I struggle to think of an ending that has impacted me as much as NieR: Automata's... The combination of music, story, and mechanics in endings C, D and E are on a level of their own when it comes to emotional impact and staying power.

The only other endings that come close for me are the final months in Persona 4 Golden, and the finale of Persona 3, but even then, Automata's impact was so much more raw and immediate, and so much of that comes down to the music.

(Haven't beaten Persona 5 yet, hoping it leaves a mark like 3 and 4 did.)

DJIzana

You know, it's been a *VERY* long time since I've had an OST this memorable. Actually... not entirely true with Xenoblade X (yeah, I'm one of those people) but yeah. I feel like this is on par with the soundtracks of PSO, Earthbound, both Chrono games, Ragnarok Online... (my top favorite games). I really do. I haven't felt this confident in a game in awhile.

Edit: I should add that I've played Bayonetta and I think...? Devil May Cry 2? And I just couldn't get into either. Those were the only Platinum Games titles I've played and this is the first one I've actually enjoyed. Really hyped to see how Granblue fares as well (without going too much OT).

D-Man

Both NieR and NieR Automata's soundtracks have to be some of the best soundtracks in all of gaming, even reaching my personal favorite OST, which is Shadow of the Colossus.

I love both OSTs to death and even though I beat Automata a while back, I always come back to its music for more. Memories of Dust in particular is a favorite of mine.

spiritfox

I'm glad more people are waking up to Okabe and MONACA. Automata has the some of the best implementation of a soundtrack into a game ever, and actually loses a bit of it's charm if you just listen to it outside the game. The way the music blends with the action in the game, and is an intergral part of the final ending, it wouldn't have worked in any other media.

Falk

that puzzling face
If a soundtrack is meant to enhance the game, then how it's implemented and used is just about as important as the music itself.

Nier really excels at both aspects.

You know, it's been a *VERY* long time since I've had an OST this memorable. Actually... not entirely true with Xenoblade X (yeah, I'm one of those people) but yeah. I feel like this is on par with the soundtracks of PSO, Earthbound, both Chrono games, Ragnarok Online... (my top favorite games). I really do. I haven't felt this confident in a game in awhile.
I like you and need you to impregnate me so that we can pass on good taste to the next generation.

chrono01

Yeah, Nier Automata (and the original Nier) are two of the best gaming OST's of all-time. I don't know how, but they made Nier Automata's OST even better than the original. Every song is amazing and filled with such emotion (especially if you know the events present in the game).

What impressed me most is with the Japanese version of "Weight of the World". Normally, when they record a song and if flaws are present, they re-record it so everything is without error. With Nier Automata though, near the end of the aforementioned song, the singer (Marina Kowano) actually begins to cry mid-song. They keep all of that in the final recording, which surprised me when I imported the OST and sat down to give it a listen. It adds a lot of feeling to it, which is great to see. Really happy they did that.

Also, the Hacking Tracks (Bonus CD, offering with first-press/pre-ordered copies of the OST) is incredible.

Best OST since Xenoblade X, i'll be tough to top this, imo Persona 5 doesnt hold a candle to it, too many filler tracks.

Waiting for Trails 3rd and Xenoblade 2.

What impressed me most is with the Japanese version of "Weight of the World". Normally, when they record a song and if flaws are present, they re-record it so everything is without error. With Nier Automata though, near the end of the aforementioned song, the singer (Marina Kowano) actually begins to cry mid-song. They keep all of that in the final recording, which surprised me when I imported the OST and sat down to give it a listen. It adds a lot of feeling to it, which is great to see. Really happy they did that.

Everytime this comes up on my playlist I feel a little shiver.

So goddamn amazing.

He songbombed that song into some important story/gameplay bits in my game xd was hilarious tho:
(late game spoilers ahead)

when the twins assisted 9S at the tower he rushed in lol and when i came with a2 there and wanted to talk with one of the dying twins he came racing in again xd
oh god

I literally choked from laughter at this totally inappropriate intrusion

Nier 1 must have had a smaller budget for music, but for some reason this made the team put out this lean suite of songs composed to club you over the head or punch you in the gut as appropriate no matter where you were in the game. You hear Kaine's theme at like five distinct turning points in the story, and it never fails.

The word for that soundtrack is efficient. Nothing was wasted.

Also, Okabe and MONACA have one more soundtrack on iTunes/Amazon that is not related to Nier or indeed any game. But you wouldn't know it to hear the album.

https://itun.es/us/3MU14

If you want more after both Nier soundtracks, help yourself.

Whales

Banned
weird to me that some people consider music an afterthought

great music can elevate so many moments in gaming from "good" to "fuckin memorable"

anyways, heres my contribution to the thread:

https://youtu.be/11yt07zTqlI

battle chorus..the part that starts at 3:20 with the vocals is just so good...

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
weird to me that some people consider music an afterthought

great music can elevate so many moments in gaming from "good" to "fuckin memorable"

anyways, heres my contribution to the thread:

https://youtu.be/11yt07zTqlI

battle chorus..the part that starts at 3:20 with the vocals is just so good...

I don't consider the OST of games as an afterthought.

It's just that so many of them are really forgettable.

Not secret best song. It became my favorite song when I realized is was a remix of the original in Nier.

Oh my god.

It was a key change. They even had the nonsense gibberish in there to tip you off, and I would still have never figured it out on my own.

These people have mastered music. They can do anything they want with it.

Everytime I hear it, I just

just

DJIzana

I don't consider the OST of games as an afterthought.

It's just that so many of them are really forgettable.

It didn't always used to be like that though. Not in the days of old, at least.

Luckily though, we're starting to see a resurgence of great music this generation. :D

I like you and need you to impregnate me so that we can pass on good taste to the next generation.

LoL. Thanks, I think!

Theswweet

I used to be like that, but once you listen to a OST you really like you end up finding many, many others.

Nier Automata and Persona 5 are the standouts for me this year. And there's Ys 8 to be released later this year and I really like Falcom OSTs

You won't be disappointed by Ys VIII. I imported it, and in both OST and gameplay it's fantastic.

chrono01

Is "Possessed by Disease" (Trailer song) not a part of the OST?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dovxnn_84N0

EDIT: Never mind, it seems is. I just didn't see it listed on some people's list for some reason.
It's on there, at least for the physical OST release (Disc 2 - Track 10). Not sure if it's different for the iTunes/digital version.

Edit: Never mind, you already answered your own question. >_<

Everytime I hear it, I just

just
I know the feeling.

Emotions everywhere.

Replicant

It's on there, at least for the physical OST release (Disc 2 - Track 10). Not sure if it's different for the iTunes/digital version.

Edit: Never mind, you already answered your own question. >_<

No no, you actually helped. It seems some people on YouTube only listing the first OST disc and not the 2nd one as well.

Yes, and the full version is even better.

Yeah it's in the OST and has an additional part not in the trailer version.

Thank you for the clarifications!

Top Bottom