• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD March 2012 Sales Results [Up3: ME3 Total, Binary Domain]

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Less than THE best sold vita game in March, but better than the 4th best sold 3DS game.

So, between 30k ( if Revelations was the 4th best sold 3DS game, something we'll discover in a few days with the Nintendo.com charts ) and...eh, if the best sold Vita game was one released in March, less than 50k. Otherwise...unknown. But probably MLB has been the most sold game this month for Vita.

EDIT: Oh, nothing then XD
Buuuuuut...nothing about Sonic Generations LTD? Split between platforms?

Bruno MB

I guess it will end up selling 100k - 150k like the other Tales of titles of this generation. Namco Bandai cannot expect it to sell more with their poor management of this franchise in the West.

Tales of Vesperia - 145k
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World - 138k

jcm

Of course they wouldn't. Good thing that wasn't what was being discussed. If 360 had flopped and overall lost money like the Xbox, it would've been the second major misfire in that area.
I don't believe anyone at MS considers the original xbox a misfire.

Microsoft doesn't just throw money at a black hole forever. :p

I'll inform the online division they have finally been put out of their misery. :)

KgpGF.jpg

I guess it will end up selling 100k - 150k like the other Tales of titles of this generation. Namco Bandai cannot expect it to sell more with their poor management of this franchise in the West.

Tales of Vesperia - 145k
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World - 138k

both of those had better first months than 50k.

In fact, aren't those just first month sales for Vesperia and Dawn of the New World?

First page is filled with plenty of stupid. Graces not charting doesn't make it a bomb. I seriously doubt Namco expected much better than 100k as the upper limit for this game, Symphonia was a huge hit for them and that only did around 120k.
Symphonia did 120k it's 1st NPD, but went on to do 450k+ total. It's nearly outsold every other Tales game combined. That's why it was a huge hit for them, it's legs rather than it's debut.

both of those had better first months than 50k.

In fact, aren't those just first month sales for Vesperia and Dawn of the New World?
I thought Vesperia did 35k, but I might be wrong. Either way, this late in the gen I'd cast some doubt on a ~30-40k Graces legging it to the 150k series standard.

Busaiku

Thanks, creamsugar.

It doesn't sound THAT bad considering the how hard it was to get a copy :p

What was the best NDS game sold? Mario Kart, NSMB, some Lego game?

Yeah, it probably wasn't that bad considering Skylanders and Mario & Sonic were in the top 25.
Tales of the Abyss was just below them (and above The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D), so I think it probably did over 35k.

Mpl90

Yeah, it probably wasn't that bad considering Skylanders and Mario & Sonic were in the top 25.

Probably, Joystiq article was referring to top 25 multi SKU, like the usual top 10...but it shouldn't be so bad since probably Skylanders on 3DS is doing well in US ( it was the second best SKU in January ) and M&S must be on top 25 thanks to the 3DS release. And I repeat, it did higher than OoT 3D in February XD

Thanks, creamsugar.

It doesn't sound THAT bad considering the how hard it was to get a copy :p

What was the best NDS game sold? Mario Kart, NSMB, some Lego game?
Feb top 10:

01. Mario Kart 7 (100k+)
02. Super Mario 3D Land (100k+)
03. Resident Evil Revelations (~90k)
04. Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games
05. Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure
06. Tales of the Abyss
07. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
08. Pokémon Rumble Blast
09. Sonic Generations
10. Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I'm more interested in what happens next generation. This time, there really ISN'T any room for error for Sony.

While I've enjoyed my 360 and PS3 quite a bit this gen, my confidence in both Sony and Microsoft has diminished quite a bit.

Sony- Can't seem to get jack shit right whether it's Move or Vita. The Playstation brand in general has fallen behind Xbox from where I sit, and they lack system selling first party games. Can't say I'm ready to jump at a PS4, and possibly going anti-used games is a day one screw up.

Microsoft- Hit a homerun with an add on that barely has anything worth playing. They've made big strides with their brand this gen, and they can market games better than anyone when they put the effort in. Unlike Sony they do have at least one system selling franchise. My beefs? They like to bone consumers with a paid matchmaking service, and I sure haven't forgotten that these are the guys that knowingly sold faulty hardware to get a jump on Sony. I'm supposed to put my faith in them again? Oh, and they may also go anti-used games.

Mpl90

So, maybe around 50~70K?

That would mean TotA 3D did pretty well, since it was supply constrained and a rema...porting of an old entry, especially if ToGf is around 70k...but who knows, if John / creamsugar / whoever has the possibility doesn't share some comparisons with titles with datas :p

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Could you even really buy Tales of Graces outside of Amazon and Gamestop?

I don't recall if Best Buy has it and I know Walmart doesn't carry it.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Does the NPD not capture Amazon and Gamestop? I've never been clear on what vendors it counts.
It gets data from about 60-65% of the U.S. retail market now, including GameStop and Amazon. It will be getting Wal-mart soon and they will make an announcement when it happens, I've been told. Then they will have data for 90% or more of the U.S. market.

Regardless the figures put out by the NPD Group include estimates of Wal-mart's contribution and the remainder of the market so they should be seen as estimates for 100% of the retail market.

I hope that's clear.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I'm pretty sure they capture both of them. Wal-Mart is the big one that they don't get.

It gets data from about 60-65% of the U.S. retail market now, including GameStop and Amazon. It will be getting Wal-mart soon and they will make an announcement when it happens, I've been told. Then they will have data for 90% or more of the U.S. market.

Regardless the figures put out by the NPD Group include estimates of Wal-mart's contribution and the remainder of the market so they should be seen as estimates for 100% of the market.

I hope that's clear.

Thanks, that clears up everything!

Sorry, I just want to clarify:

Their figures are an estimate of 100% of the retail market.

That little bit is increasingly important to emphasize.

I wonder if wholesale purchases which aren't captured by NPD are a significant portion of income to publishers? I'm guessing that gamefly buys thousands of copies of most of the new releases every month. Redbox probably buys 10s of thousands of copies of the most popular games. Every redbox kiosk in the US must have several copies of ME3 which would be a huge number when totaled.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Sorry, I just want to clarify:

Their figures are an estimate of 100% of the retail market.

That little bit is increasingly important to emphasize.
So they lump in PC sales in the multiplat numbers and don't even bother to estimate digital sales? Seems like that could be an issue at some point.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
What they were working with? You mean near universal industry support before day one and a development environment that basically ensured multiplatform development?

I mean, Sony has had some level of accomplishment here, but let's no forget all the advantages PS3 had from the outset. Even though PS3 was bungled dramatically out the gates the platform was still given the sort of support and commitment that previous 3rd placers (TG16, Saturn, Gamecube, etc) only could have dreamed of, despite performing comparably to some of them upfront. In that regard Sony was never in the position that companies like Sega, NEC, Nintendo or Microsoft found themselves in.

This might change going into PS4 though. You saw a very similar industry wide "benefit of the doubt" with PSP that seems gone for Vita.

The big difference compared to handhelds s that the next console generation will (again) be dominated by multiplatform games. The only difference is that in 2013 every console under the sun will get its own port: the new PS, the new Xbox, Wii U and PC. Broadening the user base is the only way to spread increasing development costs.

jvm

Gamasutra.
So they lump in PC sales in the multiplat numbers and don't even bother to estimate digital sales? Seems like that could be an issue at some point.
They can break out retail as finely as you want, I think. But, yes, the retail PC data has become quite suspect in my opinion. I don't have any faith that it provides a clear picture of real PC entertainment software sales at all anymore. It is a measure of what goes out the doors of retail stores, but this need not correlate strongly with what people are actually playing on their Windows and MacOS X machines.

For the same reason, I'm highly suspicious of what we can say of the health of the PlayStation Vita software market based only on the retail figures. I'd really like this to be the point at which companies like Sony start breaking out sales figures more finely, in terms of digital revenue, units, and so forth.

The big difference compared to handhelds s that the next console generation will (again) be dominated by multiplatform games. The only difference is that in 2013 every console under the sun will get its own port: the new PS, the new Xbox, Wii U and PC. Broadening the user base is the only way to spread increasing development costs.
Probably yes, but then we heard the same sort of talk for Vita actually (HD multiplatform support) and that doesn't seem to really be materializing.

Even if PS4 does get all the ports, 3rd party parity hurts Sony the most among the console makers given they have the weakest 1st party portfolio.

Probably yes, but then we heard the same sort of talk for Vita actually (HD multiplatform support) and that doesn't seem to really be materializing.

Even if PS4 does get all the ports, 3rd party parity hurts Sony the most among the console makers given they have the weakest 1st party portfolio.

Vita is (a) a handheld, and (b) significantly less powerful than HD consoles, so I don't think it's a fair comparison. I can't imagine a scenario in which Orbis fails to reach multiplatform parity with Durango, unless it's a Dreamcast-level bomb.

If any of the three next-gen consoles misses out on a large percentage of multiplatform titles, it'll be Wii U, whether for technical reasons or (more likely, IMO) Nintendo's checkered history with third-party relations.

Come on, now you know you are poking the hornets nest with that kind of comment. If you are talking sales of first party titles for NPD then you may be right but be prepared.

Vita is (a) a handheld, and (b) significantly less powerful than HD consoles, so I don't think it's a fair comparison. I can't imagine a scenario in which Orbis fails to reach multiplatform parity with Durango, unless it's a Dreamcast-level bomb.

If any of the three next-gen consoles misses out on a large percentage of multiplatform titles, it'll be Wii U, whether for technical reasons or (more likely, IMO) Nintendo's checkered history with third-party relations.

the cool kids can't just say ps4 and xbox 3?

Top Bottom