• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2009

Christine

Code:
[PS2] 112,000
[PS3] 158,000
[PSP] 116,000
[360] 214,000
[WII] 237,000
[NDS] 567,000

EviLore said:
PlayStation 2 105.9K
PlayStation 3 210.0K
PSP 140.3K
Xbox 360 215.4K
Wii 277.4K
Nintendo DS 552.9K

I'm happy about my 360 and DS predictions, the others I did ok.

harSon

Banned
mr_bishiuk said:
I think the ODST marketing might push a bunch of consoles but not a lot really maybe +10% to 20% over norm, the fact the blu ray/Wi FI equipped PS3 is the same price as the 360 (with Hard Drive) should mean it thrashes its rival next month

It thrashes its rival because it had a hundred dollar price drop, not because its at the same price point with its rival higher end SKU.

You guys think the Wii will ever see a damn price drop?
Maybe within the next few months? Would like to buy one but money is tight at the moment.

Somnid

I'm not surprised to see MPT not make the list. Primes were never huge sellers and this is just a re-release. Though I suspect it will gain LTDs in the long run as it's lucrative for newer Wii players but if Prime 3 didn't get them this wasn't.

Barrett2

V_Arnold said:
You know, media hype is not something which normal people are immune to. They see a good trailer, and they check it out. And the ODST is a pretty standalone product, they are not trying to market it as an expansion.

It is not HALO3 Expansion: ODST.
It is HALO: ODST.

If you have even the slightest interest in Halo, you already own a 360. The console bump will be nominal.

C4Lukins

lawblob said:
How in the world is ODST supposed to move any consoles? I mean, really....

It should help move some. A massive marketing campaign for a console exclusive can be as effective as a massive marketing campaign for the console itself I imagine. It is not going to move 100K plus more consoles, but I would expect it to give the 360 a gentle nudge upwards.

Walshicus

V_Arnold said:
You know, media hype is not something which normal people are immune to. They see a good trailer, and they check it out. And the ODST is a pretty standalone product, they are not trying to market it as an expansion.

It is not HALO3 Expansion: ODST.
It is HALO: ODST.
True.

I mean the live action trailer is about as mass market as you can get for the game. There will be an uplift simply because of the scale of the marketing involved.

I'm more convinced that GTA IV: Episodes will sell systems though. A lot of people *are* going to think it's the next GTA game [and frankly they'd not be far wrong].

Zophar

Jtyettis said:
I see no reasonable way for Sony to win either November or December at this point in the US.
That's a pretty extraordinary claim. There's a great exclusive and multiplatform lineup slated for it, a massive price cut that puts it in league with the competition, and an obviously pent-up demand for the console that the cut has unleashed. Comparatively the competition has no major exclusives slated for holidays, with an arguable exception for Forza 3, and neither competing consoles are touting such significant price reductions.

(Halo ODST and Ballad of Gay Tony will not move consoles. The Halo and GTA ships have sailed.)

beast786 said:
http://www.thegameraccess.com/ps3/ps3s-selling-out-already

With no new 80GB stock(Discontinued) and slim sales hold untill sept. Again, it was a question.

There were multiple reports of 80GB sold out .

My slim PS3 was delivered on 8/25/09.

btw, I'm going to just keep posting this same thing every time someone stupidly implies that the slim wasn't on sale during this NPD selling period. They were everywhere locally for me in San Francisco before September 1st.

Chozo

Balb said:
Disappointed that Metroid Prime Trilogy bombed. What happened to the Nintendo fans who would buy anything made by Nintendo?

Personally speaking, I have all three games in the trilogy already and couldn't justify the $50 for Wii motion controls on Prime and Echoes when I could put that money towards several other games for the Wii/handhelds that I wanted to play. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the reason for a lot of people who would be interested in the trilogy in the first place.

So yeah. My Nintenwhoredom is weak =(

T-1000_Model3 said:
You guys think the Wii will ever see a damn price drop?
Maybe within the next few months? Would like to buy one but money is tight at the moment.

next year

P90 said:
Do people still play Madden? People go into histrionics over "cliche" JRPGs, but football is the same old, same old like nothing else, yet little to no griping. Oh, wait. Madden is not from a Jp-based developer, therefore it is exempt of criticism. ;)

... seriously?

Seriously??

gerg

The PS3 bump is higher than expected, so it will be interested to see how far the momentum carries over. The Wii seems to have stabilised, which is good if anything, and WSR is doing well. August 09 sales put its LTD at around 1.2 million, don't they?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Zophar said:
Comparatively the competition has no major exclusives slated for holidays, with an arguable exception for Forza 3, and neither competing consoles are touting such significant price reductions.

I realize its colorful and doesn't have 16 player online multiplayer, but you don't think NSMB Wii counts as a major exclusive?

beast786

VGChampion said:
Well, I guess I'll answer since it seems like everyone else would rather laugh. I believe there was a shortage in Japan, or rumors of one. I don't follow sales very often but I don't think there was a shortage here in America.

I could be off, but that's what I'm under the impression.

Thanks for the straight answere.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=372022
buch of people reporting sold out PHATTYS (U.S)
http://www.thegameraccess.com/ps3/ps3s-selling-out-already

With no new 80GB stock(Discontinued) and slim sales hold untill sept. Again, it was a question.

There were multiple reports of 80GB sold out .

Sipowicz

Banned
AniHawk said:
Only if you can't sleep and all the other leading brands don't work.

what's wrong with it?

the first one was really good. the second one wasnt as good but it still had an interesting gimmick

DeadGzuz

Banned
Jtyettis said:
Not sure what you are even tyring to imply lol. I've already said they will see uptick over last year. Seems pretty clear.

You said "no reasonable way", like it's unimaginable.

Frillen

Balb said:
Disappointed that Metroid Prime Trilogy bombed. What happened to the Nintendo fans who would buy anything made by Nintendo?

I buy mostly what Nintendo makes, except games I've already played...

AniHawk

timetokill said:
next year

Yep. If sales remain at 60-70k a week through September, they're just gonna wait until next year (although they risk missing their forecasts, they may just stuff the channels like Sony likes to do).

Sipowicz said:
what's wrong with it?

the first one was really good. the second one wasnt as good but it still had an interesting gimmick

It's a very boring game because it's a very slow game. Echoes is the better of the first two because it has Sanctuary Fortress.

Corruption is the best though, by a long, long shot.

Metroid Prime was boring though.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Jtyettis said:
That is why I said even before the price cut I see no reasonable way. Any cut would only add more to that.

That was sarcasm.

A 20 dollar price cut is not going to much on a console cheaper than everything on the market already. Ask the $99 PS2.

beast786

OldJadedGamer said:

btw, I'm going to just keep posting this same thing every time someone stupidly implies that the slim wasn't on sale during this NPD selling period. They were everywhere locally for me in San Francisco before September 1st.

Yes i do realize they were. But in most area they were in very limited numbers. Including ours.

DCharlie

Banned
The shift begins?

yes, that 6 million gap is going to look like gravy if the ps3 starts selling that predicted 100k more a month

only 5 years to draw level, cry Xbot bitches cry, Sony has got you on the run now!
The tide has turn
The Shift has begun
The Great Sony come back of 2009 - 2015 is ON

Our victory is imminent.

;)

Kittonwy

Banned
Seiken said:
Here it goeeeees

The PS3 is like Rocky, coming back with those body punches, Ivan Drago ur goin DOWN.
angry.gif

EviLore said:
Data care of NPD Group

PlayStation 2 105.9K
PlayStation 3 210.0K
PSP 140.3K
Xbox 360 215.4K
Wii 277.4K
Nintendo DS 552.9K

MADDEN NFL 10 (360; Aug-09) 928,000
WII SPORTS RESORT W/ WII MOTION PLUS (WII; Jul-09) 754,000
MADDEN NFL 10 (PS3; Aug-09) 665,000
BATMAN: ARKHAM ASYLUM* (360; Aug-09) 303,000
BATMAN: ARKHAM ASYLUM* PS3; Aug-09) 290,000
MADDEN NFL 10 (PS2; Aug-09) 160,000
DISSIDIA: FINAL FANTASY (PSP; Aug-09) 130,000
WII FIT* (WII; May-08) 128,000
MARIO KART W/WHEEL (WII; Apr-08) 120,000
FOSSIL FIGHTERS (NDS; Aug-09) 92,000

(*includes CE, GOTY editions, bundles, etc. but not those bundled with hardware)

---------------------

Analysis from NPD's Anita Frazier:

let's see....

- holy shit a PSP game in the top 10
- PS3 sold mroe than it was projected IIRC
- all consoles down YOY? (wondering)
- PS3 will be the top (home) system for next month

Loudninja

OldJadedGamer said:

Why do you keep saying this?not evrey store had them.

C4Lukins

schuelma said:
I realize its colorful and doesn't have 16 player online multiplayer, but you don't think NSMB Wii counts as a major exclusive?

I like the whole idea that the Halo and GTA ship have sailed, but Uncharted and Ratchet are somehow fresh, new, and system sellers.

DeadGzuz

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:

Yet the official announcement by Sony was Sept 1st. So two things are true, they arrived early in some numbers nationwide and most people didn't expect them until Sept.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
WhiteAce said:
yes, that 6 million gap is going to look like gravy if the ps3 starts selling that predicted 100k more a month

only 5 years to draw level, cry Xbot bitches cry, Sony has got you on the run now!
The tide has turn
The Shift has begun

Our victory is imminent.

:lol Jesus Christ man, go easy on them. No need to distinguish the light so quickly.

Yoboman

WhiteAce said:

The tide has turn
The Shift has begun

Our victory is imminent.
Who pissed in your cereal?

DMeisterJ

Banned
Loudninja said:
Why do you keep saying this?not evrey store had them.
Yeah, I don't get it. Some of my GSs filled pre-orders, but some didn't and BB and Target didn't sell them to the first in my area.

Anecdotal evidence does not make an argument.

Kagari said:
I don't watch TV.

Well if you did you'd see the commercial every ten minutes.

"Play as the Joker, exclusively on PS3" almost sounds like the game is PS3 exclusive, period. Two of my buddies got it on PS3, and they buy ALL 3rd party software on 360.

[Nintex]

C4Lukins said:
I like the whole idea that the Halo and GTA ship have sailed, but Uncharted and Ratchet are somehow fresh, new, and system sellers.
I like the downplaying of New Super Mario Bros. Wii even better. It's all the things that made the Wii popular tied together in a Mario game with classic 2D gameplay and somehow that won't sell. :lol

Wii price drop most likely next year,k.
The Metroid Prime trilogy pretty much has sent me over the edge.
Whats another 6 months I suppose,games will drop in price too so its all good.
NPDs gods,thanks for the heads up.

DCharlie

Banned
Who pissed in your cereal?

hehe, no one.

I'm simply enjoying the ticker tape parade.

yup - everyone who wanted to play halo ever went out and bought the X360 at full price exhausting the fan base, whilst Uncharted fans were clever enough to not buy the console or the first version and have just rabbidly been waiting for the follow up.

(i hope Uncharted 2 does move units, the beta was amazing and the (deliberately limited) footage i've seen looks utterly incredible. I want Uncharted 2 to be -specifically singled out- as the reason consoles move because it looks like it deserves to be THAT game)

P90 said:
Do people still play Madden? People go into histrionics over "cliche" JRPGs, but football is the same old, same old like nothing else, yet little to no griping. Oh, wait. Madden is not from a Jp-based developer, therefore it is exempt of criticism. ;)
cool persecution complex bro

elrechazao said:
How did you manage to work out that a price drop would lead to increased ps3 sales? I don't think anyone else could have predicted that, well done.

just messing with you dude, but the "I made a thread about it" as if you were somehow revolutionary in predicting his is pretty amusing

I wasn't claiming to have made a 'bold' prediction.

I'm just saying is all. In the thread, I said people no longer had any MAJOR reason to buy a 360 now over a PS3 now that the PS3 has almost the SAME game library as the 360.

Looks like we're really going to start to see that come to fruition over the next few months.

[Nintex] said:
I'm not sure how one month of in the ballpark with the competition sales equasl: "The turn around.". It sure is a turn around for Sony but they have alot of ground to recapture and I won't expect Nintendo and Microsoft to sit by and watch it happen.

I don't think MS has much else they can do though.

They can't really drop the price to a level that will make it worth it, bundling games doesn't do all that much.

All they have left that would have a major effect would be to slash the price of Live or make it free altogether. Even then they would only JUST have their necks in front.

Again, most people here would know I'm more of a 360 fan, but it's pretty clear where this is all going. Not that it's a big deal. It's not like one of the big 3 is going anywhere next gen.

Look at the Gamecube.

C4Lukins

[Nintex] said:
I like the downplaying of New Super Mario Bros. Wii even better. It's all the things that made the Wii popular tied together in a Mario game with classic 2D gameplay and somehow that won't sell. :lol

Very true. New Super Mario Bros alone will probably outsell the Sony exclusives combined.

Sipowicz

Banned
AniHawk said:
It's a very boring game because it's a very slow game. Echoes is the better of the first two because it has Sanctuary Fortress.

Corruption is the best though, by a long, long shot.

Metroid Prime was boring though.

i suppose it was slower because you didnt have to worry about the dark world eating your health, but that was part of the charm. exploring it

and the bosses were class such as ridley

Minsc

Gold Member
MikeE21286 said:
let's see....

- holy shit a PSP game in the top 10
- PS3 sold mroe than it was projected IIRC
- all consoles down YOY? (wondering)
- PS3 will be the top (home) system for next month

Not sure if you mean total YoY sales, or just August's YoY, but August has PS3, NDS, and 360 with increased sales YoY.

Next month's PS3's sales are going to be a pretty big wildcard, could be anywhere to as high as double this month's sales, wouldn't be too surprised to see PS3 come in on 500K with 5 full weeks of sales. Will probably be closer to 350-400K, but the higher they are, the more interesting the thread will be.

DMeisterJ

Banned
C4Lukins said:
I don't think there is a huge following that thinks that U2 or Ratchet will sell systems. If they do they're dumb. Only New games, and games that jump generations push consoles.

Top Bottom