• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2009

Grecco

Kagari said:
Wow, Batman sales are insanely close.
I expected much lower for PS3.

Every single Batman Comercial has a PS3 bump at the end and theres also the Joker version of the commercial pluging the exclusive Joker content on PS3. The fact that they were this close shouldnt have been a shock to anybody.

S t y l e z said:
GAF = Sony = GAF

Like any of this shit matters come holiday 09. Just because there's a tiny minuscule boost in sales now, wont mean anything during holiday rush. Hats off to Sony though, for taking a 100+dollar hit a console.

1248577643660.gif

lawblob said:
What % of the total gaming userbase owns both consoles?l

It's more than what many on here think, IMO. A lot of the "hardcore" do this gen, probably more than ever before. Not saying it's a majority, but owning both has become increasingly common here on GAF. This is more evident in the sale of "hardcore" titles than casual ones.

P90 said:
Do people still play Madden? People go into histrionics over "cliche" JRPGs, but football is the same old, same old like nothing else, yet little to no griping. Oh, wait. Madden is not from a Jp-based developer, therefore it is exempt of criticism. ;)

what the fuck

why are you white knighting for japan...

It's all in good fun regarding the console sales but I'm truly happy for Rocksteady and the great success that they have achieved with Batman.
sequel time?? Please??

speculawyer said:
Meh . . . I just think that Madden fans who own a Wii likely also own a PS3 or xbox 360.

I'm sure the fact that EA's been systematically destroying the brand on the Wii for the past 3 years has nothing to do with it. Would YOU come back after being subjected to the All Play tripe?

DeadGzuz

Banned
Jtyettis said:
I see no reasonable way for Sony to win either November or December at this point in the US.

LOL, you see no reasonable way? How about selling more consoles, is that reasonable?

Rlan

Rlan said:
Though on a worldwide scale - NPDs including XBLA worldwide sales based on my XBLA August Analysis:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=25167

MADDEN NFL 10 (360; Aug-09) 928,000
WII SPORTS RESORT W/ WII MOTION PLUS (WII; Jul-09) 754,000
MADDEN NFL 10 (PS3; Aug-09) 665,000
BATMAN: ARKHAM ASYLUM* (360; Aug-09) 303,000
BATMAN: ARKHAM ASYLUM* PS3; Aug-09) 290,000
TRIALS HD (XBLA, Aug-09) ~246,000
SHADOW COMPLEX (XBLA, Aug-09) ~225,000
MADDEN NFL 10 (PS2; Aug-09) 160,000
TMNT Re-Shelled (XBLA, Aug-09) < 160,000
DISSIDIA: FINAL FANTASY (PSP; Aug-09) 130,000

Admittedly it's kind of cheating, but even if the sales were 60% American (I'd imagine it's around this) the games would still all be in the Top 10.

For the new page.

beast786 said:
Wasnt there some supply shortage for PS3 in august. ?

Well, I guess I'll answer since it seems like everyone else would rather laugh. I believe there was a shortage in Japan, or rumors of one. I don't follow sales very often but I don't think there was a shortage here in America.

I could be off, but that's what I'm under the impression.

[Nintex]

Just look at the charts and compare Wii Sports Resort to the regular releases(games that aren't Madden). Nintendo is going into this holiday with Wii Sports Resort(legs), Mario kart Wii(its last legs, who knows really), Wii Fit Plus(cheap) and New Super Mario Bros. Wii(Mario!). Maybe they aren't doomed like Pachter and co. seem to think. :lol

I also wouldn't underestimate Halo, with all the folks saying: "It isn't a system seller!". I think the live action trailer and marketing campaign might convince some people to pick up an Xbox 360. Not to mention that if sequels don't sell systems Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft would fall flat on their face this holiday season. Halo 2 actually caused the bump that the Xbox needed to beat the GameCube.

C4Lukins

P90 said:
It is nothing compared to the brainless ranting threads about JRPGs.

You have not been paying attention. If anything it is the fans of the Madden series who are extremely critical of the franchise and everyone else ignores it.

DMeisterJ

Banned
WasteLand Soldier said:
i wouldnt bet on it. i think at best after september it will be close every month just like this month with 360 still leading. 2 weeks at 299 with supposed pent up demand should have driven sales past 360 if people were waiting for the price drop.
Yeah, cause it's not like anyone could have been waiting for a new model
to come out...

:|

FrankT

DeadGzuz said:
LOL, you see no reasonable way? How about selling more consoles, is that reasonable?

Not sure what you are even tyring to imply lol. I've already said they will see uptick over last year. Seems pretty clear.

Luckyman

Banned
schuelma said:
Assuming that the article is correct and that number is in comparison to the pre price drop number, that doesn't strike me as amazingly impressive.

Really? Looks like at least 300k September

FirewalkR

Mama Robotnik said:
The shift begins?

(between 360/PS3 that is, Wii is still a winner even if it is not leagues ahead anymore)

Handheld, DS continues to print money like there's no tommorow.

Oh, and an absolutely impressive showing for the PS2, that old sod just won't give up.

Yes, but what does this mean gif-wise, o' talented one?

DMeisterJ

Banned
Jtyettis said:
Bank it. Especially so if they hit the rumored $179 price point by MW2 (recent OXM rumor).
Yeah, cause when you're the cheapest console in the market, price is the real barrier.

:/

I think the ODST marketing might push a bunch of consoles but not a lot really maybe +10% to 20% over norm, the fact the blu ray/Wi FI equipped PS3 is the same price as the 360 (with Hard Drive) should mean it thrashes its rival next month

Balb

Wii Sports Resort is doing better than I thought it would.

Good Dissidia numbers.

Disappointed that Metroid Prime Trilogy bombed. What happened to the Nintendo fans who would buy anything made by Nintendo?

V_Arnold

lawblob said:
How in the world is ODST supposed to move any consoles? I mean, really....

You know, media hype is not something which normal people are immune to. They see a good trailer, and they check it out. And the ODST is a pretty standalone product, they are not trying to market it as an expansion.

It is not HALO3 Expansion: ODST.
It is HALO: ODST.

AniHawk

Balb said:

Good Dissidia numbers.

Disappointed that Metroid Prime Trilogy bombed. What happened to the Nintendo fans who would buy anything made by Nintendo?

The game had the Metroid Prime warning label right there on the box.

[Nintex]

Balb said:

Good Dissidia numbers.

They already bought everything so maybe they're waiting for something new. We also don't know how many they shipped, the store I picked it up had three copies and many of my European gamer friends told me they couldn't find it. I'm not sure of the situation in the US but retailers aren't keen on stocking the Trilogy when MP3 sits on the shelves for the same price.

So it looks like the turnaround I made a thread about has begun.

MS did well to hold out this long though.

As long as I keep getting the games I want on all 3, it's all good.

Great to see Batman doing well. It's good to see PS3 kicking and showing back up in NPDs. 360 will beat it November and December (the 3 holiday months combined) but relevant competition can't be a bad thing. It's still odd seeing Wii back down to normal numbers but its software has crazy legs and I'm sure it'll be dominate again this holiday.

Grecco said:
Every single Batman Comercial has a PS3 bump at the end and theres also the Joker version of the commercial pluging the exclusive Joker content on PS3. The fact that they were this close shouldnt have been a shock to anybody.

It's the downplay to be surprised factor.

[Nintex]

2 Minutes Turkish said:

I'm not sure how one month of in the ballpark with the competition sales equasl: "The turn around.". It sure is a turn around for Sony but they have alot of ground to recapture and I won't expect Nintendo and Microsoft to sit by and watch it happen.

Grecco

Balb said:

Good Dissidia numbers.

Nintendo fans buy anything made by Nintendo except Metroid Prime. .

DMeisterJ

Banned
V_Arnold said:
You know, media hype is not something which normal people are immune to. They see a good trailer, and they check it out. And the ODST is a pretty standalone product, they are not trying to market it as an expansion.

It is not HALO3 Expansion: ODST.
It is HALO: ODST.
Yeah, but if you've never played or liked Halo, why would you start with ODST. Or if all these years you never got into it, why would you buy a console for the game when it's largely the same? It will sell a grip of software, but hardware? That only really sells when they a game jumps across generations, or a new game.

2 Minutes Turkish said:

How did you manage to work out that a price drop would lead to increased ps3 sales? I don't think anyone else could have predicted that, well done.

just messing with you dude, but the "I made a thread about it" as if you were somehow revolutionary in predicting his is pretty amusing

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Grecco said:

I don't watch TV.

FrankT

DMeisterJ said:
Yeah, cause when you're the cheapest console in the market, price is the real barrier.

:/

That is why I said even before the price cut I see no reasonable way. Any cut would only add more to that.

2 Minutes Turkish said:

Over eh, I'm going to love this stuff come Christmas and post Black Friday.

schuelma said:
Assuming that the article is correct and that number is in comparison to the pre price drop number, that doesn't strike me as amazingly impressive.

Well if they were doing 25k right before the price cut (which is likely ballpark) then indeed.

Top Bottom