• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2009

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
From the P.R, Wii is still doing PS2 numbers in the U.S? Interesting

Barrett2

People will be sorely dissappointed when PS3 sales have a comparative slide next month. Just saying, once the initial shoppers are done, I would expect a decline before the holiday ramp-up.

Evlar

Banned
lawblob said:
I don't see why people are surprised at the close sales between Batman. It was heavily advertised for the PS3, hence, more comparative sales.
I'm not surprised, but this is a little weak. Batman is not the first multi-plat game to be heavily advertised for PS3.

elrechazao said:
1,000,000 is barely more than 700,000?

I guess "barely" would not be the correct term to use in that situation but if you take into account the number of consoles that are currently in the US, I think the PS3 version did a lot better compared to the 360 version..imho.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
EviLore said:
Data care of NPD Group

PlayStation 2 105.9K
PlayStation 3 210.0K
PSP 140.3K
Xbox 360 215.4K
Wii 277.4K
Nintendo DS 552.9K

my hardware prediction:

Danthrax said:
[360] 229k
[NDS] 525k
[PS2] 98k
[PS3] 165k
[PSP] 130k
[WII] 250k

I don't think the PS3 had enough supply in August to do much better than I'm predicting here.

I also feel like I'm a little bullish on the DS but I've learned not to underestimate it.

And I still underestimated the DS's sales! :lol

I was pretty close on everything, though, besides the PS3. Overall, off by about 132,000.

Kard8p3

SteelAttack said:
Pretty tight numbers between the home systems. DS is still doing its own thing. Nice Batman AA sales, although now I'm confused about that other 2M figure. Maybe it's WW numbers, or shipped units, as previously stated. At any rate, it deserves every single one of those copies sold.

NPD only covers the first few days of batman's release but the other data was for less than a month of data. So I assume the 2 million sales is more recent.

pharmboy044 said:
360 has a supposed 6 million console advantage in the US and yet it barely outsells the PS3 version of Madden and Batman. I can't wait for the NPD numbers for the upcoming months.

I wonder which alt you are...

Barrett2

D4Danger said:
with PS3 exclusive content you would think it would've sold more than the 360.

Are you joking? What % of the total gaming userbase owns both consoles? Its a tiny fraction of consumers, the exclusive DLC is a non-issue, sales-wise.

edit: NM, you are joking. Phew.... almost had Hoffman levels of myopia there. :lol

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I'm curious, what is the tie ratio for DS nowadays? I'm sure there are a decent number of DS games outside the top 10 adding up, but 550k in hardware is still a lot (along with all the units already sold, of course).

Relix said:
Wow. Should be epic. I see PS3 winning though. Sony is gaining momentum at the moment.

I see PS3 leading the 360 from Sept. through the end of the year. This is to be expected given the large price drop and the fact that the PS3 is only now reaching affordability for a lot of people whereas the 360 has been there for some time. The real test will be Feb or Mar 2010, IMO. If Sony can maintain the momentum after the holidays they will be in very good shape.

pharmboy044 said:
360 has a supposed 6 million console advantage in the US and yet it barely outsells the PS3 version of Madden and Batman. I can't wait for the NPD numbers for the upcoming months.

icon_pirate3_apr23,0.jpg

?

FrankT

lawblob said:
I don't see why people are surprised at the close sales between Batman. It was heavily advertised for the PS3, hence, more comparative sales.

Yup, nothing surprising about it. Exclusive DLC can help push software. This has been stated over and over with a report on such just this week;

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/43906/98/

San Francisco, Calif. A new study says that exclusive content plays a significant role in driving video game sales. According to EEDAR analyst Jesse Divnich, the Xbox 360 version of Fallout 3 - which boasts exclusive paid DLC - managed to outsell the PlayStation 3 SKU by nearly 2.5 to 1.

"EEDAR has studied the trends of exclusive content for the last four years and in almost every scenario, the platform with exclusive content outperforms the platforms without - as a ratio to their respective hardware install base," said Divnich.

"The most significant example is Fallout 3, where the Xbox 360 SKU outsold the PlayStation 3 SKU by nearly 2.5 to 1 (Xbox 360/PlayStation 3 hardware sales ratio is only 1.95 to 1)."

However, Divnich noted that the PlayStation 3 version of Batman: Arkham Asylum featured "exclusive content over the Xbox 360 version," by allowing users to assume the role of The Joker.

"Because of this exclusive content, EEDAR expects a 52/48 ratio split in sales in favor of the Xbox 360, a large improvement for Sony over the average 66/34 split for multi-platform release titles in North America."

Divnich also explained that sales of Madden NFL 10 were expected to decline by at least 10 percent compared to last year's title due to the absence of a Nintendo DS SKU, the lack of a PSP hardware bundle and a lower hardware install base. Nevertheless, sales remain ahead of NCAA's Football franchise which declined by over 20 percent in 2009.

"EEDAR continues to believe that the lower install base among the core next-generation consoles is the primary reason for the decline in Madden sales and is not any indication that the brand or series may be stagnating," opined Divnich.

"In fact, even after 20 years, the series continues to introduce innovative features such as an online co-op and franchise mode. Anyone believing that the decrease in sales is somehow due to the lack of effort from Electronic Arts Tiburon, need simply to observe the review scores of the Madden franchise over the last five years, which has consistently posted scores in the mid 80's."

Divnich added that the "shift" in popularity to the Wii - along with its unique controller design - has altered the "taste" of many core consumers.

"Consumers, who once owned a PlayStation 2 and were avid Madden fans, may now have a different preference in their gaming appetite if they have transitioned to the Wii instead of the PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360.

"With the recent PlayStation 3 price cut and the new Xbox 360 hardware line-up, we expect many consumers, who are in next-generation limbo, to make the jump to a PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360 between now and August 2010, which should produce a series-over-series increase for the Madden franchise in 2010."

Dr. Zoidberg said:
I see PS3 leading the 360 from Sept. through the end of the year. This is to be expected given the large price drop and the fact that the PS3 is only now reaching affordability for a lot of people whereas the 360 has been there for some time. The real test will be Feb or Mar 2010, IMO. If Sony can maintain the momentum after the holidays they will be in very good shape.

I see no reasonable way for Sony to win either November or December at this point in the US.

Minsc

Gold Member
Weekly NPD sales in relation to last month / August of last year (August = 4 weeks, July = 4 weeks):

Code:
       |  08/09 |   07/09 | % Change |   08/08 | % Change (compared to 08/09)
PS2    |    27K |     27K |       0% |     36K |      25%
PS3    |    53K |     31K |      71% |     46K |      15%
PSP    |    35K |     31K |      13% |     63K |      44% 
NDS    |   138K |    135K |       2% |    130K |       6%
360    |    54K |     51K |       6% |     49K |      10% 
Wii    |    69K |     63K |      10% |    113K |      39%
Red signifies a decrease, black increase.

Amazing, pretty much everything is up from last month, PS3 is up from last year's August and 71% higher than last month. It looks like the price reduction / Slim is really doing a good job!

PSP is still doing really poor compared to last year (was down over 40% YoY last month as well), and Wii isn't doing all that stellar YoY either... but all in all, looks like a pretty good month for hardware.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Digital-Hero said:
Same here. Signs that people immediately snapped up many PS3's the second the cut was announced.

Yeah, probably that. That was on August 18th, so about 12 days of sales at 299. Not too bad considering sales the weeks before much have been lower than usual.

Barrett2

Evlar said:
I'm not surprised, but this is a little weak. Batman is not the first multi-plat game to be heavily advertised for PS3.

PS3 exclusives have been a bit thin lately, and 360 just had their seeminly popular 'summer of Arcade,' so maybe PS3 owners were just hungrier for a new game? Just speculating here, but that combined with the heavy PS3 advertising for the game would seem to close the gap, IMO.

Kard8p3 said:
NPD only covers the first few days of batman's release but the other data was for close to two weeks of data.
I see. Thanks for the heads-up. It's going to chart at a pretty high spot on next month's data as well. Is there any other title that might overshadow it during september?

Ninja: Duh. ODST.

Danthrax said:
my hardware prediction:

And I still underestimated the DS's sales! :lol

I was pretty close on everything, though, besides the PS3. Overall, off by about 132,000.

ME:
[360] 205K
[NDS] 485K
[PS2] 100K
[PS3] 210K
[PSP] 120K
[WII] 210K

ACTUAL:
Xbox 360 215.4K
Nintendo DS 552.9K
PlayStation 2 105.9K
PlayStation 3 210.0K
PSP 140.3K
Wii 277.4K

Spot on on the ps3, under on the 360, totally under on the ds, under on the wii. Meh, I fail.

Jon said:
Are people really that excited to see the PS3 finally eclipse the other consoles? It's been what...4 years?

GAF = Sony = GAF

Like any of this shit matters come holiday 09. Just because there's a tiny minuscule boost in sales now, wont mean anything during holiday rush. Hats off to Sony though, for taking a 100+dollar hit a console.

Johann

P90 said:
It is nothing compared to the brainless ranting threads about JRPGs.

Madden isn't so much a game anymore as it is a part of football culture and superstition, such as the Madden Bowl and the Madden Curse. I think of it as America's Dragon Quest.

Kolgar said:
Will ODST move systems, though? Don't Halo fans already have their Xboxes?

Do people really think ODST will push consoles though?

I'm more interested to see if ODST matches or BETTERS Halo 3's first month numbers.

P90 said:
Do people still play Madden? People go into histrionics over "cliche" JRPGs, but football is the same old, same old like nothing else, yet little to no griping. Oh, wait. Madden is not from a Jp-based developer, therefore it is exempt of criticism. ;)

Yes..because Japanese RPG developers have a 1 year development cycle.

Dr. Zoidberg said:

i wouldnt bet on it. i think at best after september it will be close every month just like this month with 360 still leading. 2 weeks at 299 with supposed pent up demand should have driven sales past 360 if people were waiting for the price drop.

Rlan

Though on a worldwide scale - NPDs including XBLA worldwide sales based on my XBLA August Analysis:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=25167

MADDEN NFL 10 (360; Aug-09) 928,000
WII SPORTS RESORT W/ WII MOTION PLUS (WII; Jul-09) 754,000
MADDEN NFL 10 (PS3; Aug-09) 665,000
BATMAN: ARKHAM ASYLUM* (360; Aug-09) 303,000
BATMAN: ARKHAM ASYLUM* PS3; Aug-09) 290,000
TRIALS HD (XBLA, Aug-09) ~246,000
SHADOW COMPLEX (XBLA, Aug-09) ~225,000
MADDEN NFL 10 (PS2; Aug-09) 160,000
TMNT Re-Shelled (XBLA, Aug-09) < 160,000
DISSIDIA: FINAL FANTASY (PSP; Aug-09) 130,000

Admittedly it's kind of cheating, but even if the sales were 60% American (I'd imagine it's around this) the games would still all be in the Top 10.

Top Bottom