• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2014 [Up2: PS4/XB1/Wii U/360 Hardware, BD/Poke/DK]

jcm

The online arms of B&M stores being out of stock is a meaningless fact.

Fact is, I could walk into nearly any Gamestop, Target, Walmart, or Best Buy in my area and pick up a PS4. The "supply constrained" thing doesn't hold water if you're just looking at online sources.

Otherwise, you could say the Xbone Controller is also "supply constrained", as Amazon has been sold out for a few days now. I'm guessing there are hundreds to be found in local B&M stores, however.

I honestly don't know why this topic is so important to people. Sure, there is a decent continued demand for the PS4. But since we don't know how many they're actually shipping here compared to the rest of the world, it's impossible to measure true demand. Xbones clearly have much better demand than we thought as well, given NPDs, it just means Microsoft did a better job with supply.

Supply constrained means there's not enough units to fill the channel. Since there are clearly not enough units to fill the channel (or else the online units would be selling them), it's supply constrained. Your retailer anecdotes are the fact that's meaningless.

If the xbone controller is out of stock then it's supply constrained too.

Fact is, I could walk into nearly any Gamestop, Target, Walmart, or Best Buy in my area and pick up a PS4. The "supply constrained" thing doesn't hold water if you're just looking at online sources

Keyword is "your area."

Naturally there's places spread throughout any region that one can easily find a PS4 available. But your situation seems to be a small minority, and that it's apparently more supply constrained across most places rather than not.

For every one of your area, a few other GAFers are claiming non-availibility of stock in their area. I would like to believe neither are lying, so it's only a matter of fact that your area is simply not as thirsty, whereas some other areas are.

On Demand

Banned
Xbox One should easily win March. Titanfall is a huge system seller. The PS4 is still supply constrained, not sure why you think otherwise...

Infamous has never been a system seller, don't think that will change this time around. GZ...really? That is not exclusive and will definitely not push consoles.

Other notes, I'm shocked that Donkey Kong appears to have been a system seller. Who would have thought? And very happy to see good numbers for Bravely Default. I've yet to pick it up but it's definitely on my radar

I know Amazon isn't the only retailer in the world, but TF isn't exactly dominating the charts for such a huge game.

http://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-video-games/zgbs/videogames/ref=sv_vg_11

And Sony is stocking Amazon with plenty of consoles it seems. Its been in and out of stock for awhile. March could go either way.

Didnt say it will but they will ship enough to win march,

Not with Titanfall out in March. Xbox One wins March.

I know Amazon isn't the only retailer in the world, but TF isn't exactly dominating the charts for such a huge game.

And Sony is stocking Amazon with plenty of consoles it seems. Its been in and out of stock for awhile. March could go either way.

And we're done.

I really don't see PS4 winning March. If it does....well then MS is in reallllllllllllllllly big trouble. Kinectless SKU in 3 months, $399 SKU, maybe even a pack-in game. All hands on deck at that point. They don't want to lose the early race in this console cycle.

Squalor

It's funny how people think Infamous and Metal Gear Solid won't give the PlayStation 4 a boost this month (provided supply allows).

Metal Gear Solids move Sony systems. They don't move Xboxes, but they move Sony systems.

geordiemp

My son is 10, he plays games online like COD Zombies and Minecraft etc but he tends to play WITH people rather than against them...

I know Online is popular but Titanfall being verses online only will be the chink in its shield to attaining greatness.

TF is not going to have the big effect some think......The bump in feb was due to TF beta. With more supply PS4 wins march. Ground zeroes and infamous, and ps4 demand will offset any TF effect,.

PS4 demand is there; supply isn't.

If there was a bump in February due to the beta, why do you not expect there to be a bump when the ACTUAL game releases? Of course there will be a large bump for Titanfall.

GZ is not exclusive. It's on four other consoles. I wouldn't be surprised if the PS3 version outsells the PS4 version. Infamous has never been a system seller. PS4 owners will surely buy the game but it will not convince a lot of people to purchase the system.

geordiemp

I really don't see PS4 winning March. If it does....well then MS is in reallllllllllllllllly big trouble. Kinectless SKU in 3 months, $399 SKU, maybe even a pack-in game. All hands on deck at that point. They don't want to lose the early race in this console cycle.

For USA....

For outside USA, Sony see a no contest...Maybe MS only really want the USA market - certainly fits with the entertainment NFL box vision....

Frillen

Zero marketing, no major releases in ages, still priced too highly, etc.

SCEA effectively mismanaged it from day 1, and let all it's potential go to waste. I love mine, but damn if SCEA doesn't give you ever reason not to pick one up.

I love how people say this today compared to what was said after the E3 2011 conference. "OMG! $250!? It's going to steamroll the 3DS!!".

If there was a bump in February due to the beta, why do you not expect there to be a bump when the ACTUAL game releases? Of course there will be a large bump for Titanfall.

GZ is not exclusive. It's on four other consoles. I wouldn't be surprised if the PS3 version outsells the PS4 version. Infamous has never been a system seller. PS4 owners will surely buy the game but it will not convince a lot of people to purchase the system.

Supply will be a lot bigger in march........

And after that? Back to being the bridesmaid for the remaining 9 months of the year?

'Winning' one month doesn't make a victory if that's what your implying....

I never said it did. No one was talking about lifetime sales. We're talking about one month. Why are you jumping to conclusions?

Supply will be a lot bigger in march........

Yes, but it's still supply constrained. That means not everyone that wants one will get one.

Squalor

For USA....

For outside USA, Sony see a no contest...Maybe MS only really want the USA market - certainly fits with the entertainment NFL box vision....
Just yesterday, Microsoft revealed about ten Asian developers/publishers who will be working on games. Microsoft cares about the international market because that's the only way they can win the sales war this year.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
TF is not going to have the big effect some think......The bump in feb was due to TF beta. With more supply PS4 wins march. Ground zeroes and infamous, and ps4 demand will offset any TF effect,.

Well I think people are forgetting that Titanfall has been moving Xbox One's since November. I certainly didn't buy this thing in December because I just had to play Ryse: Son of Rome after all. There's going to be a bump and a bump on PS4 for Infamous but not to the degree everyone expects. 400k+ isn't happening.

LOL please, GZ sells way more on sony consoles and will effect sony consoles mroe the a ny other.

LTWood12

The online arms of B&M stores being out of stock is a meaningless fact.

Fact is, I could walk into nearly any Gamestop, Target, Walmart, or Best Buy in my area and pick up a PS4. The "supply constrained" thing doesn't hold water if you're just looking at online sources.

Otherwise, you could say the Xbone Controller is also "supply constrained", as Amazon has been sold out for a few days now. I'm guessing there are hundreds to be found in local B&M stores, however.

I honestly don't know why this topic is so important to people. Sure, there is a decent continued demand for the PS4. But since we don't know how many they're actually shipping here compared to the rest of the world, it's impossible to measure true demand. Xbones clearly have much better demand than we thought as well, given NPDs, it just means Microsoft did a better job with supply.

I've still never seen one in a Brick & Mortar. I've seen XBOX Ones in stock every time since launch.

Just yesterday, Microsoft revealed about ten Asian developers/publishers who will be working on games. Microsoft cares about the international market because that's the only way they can win the sales war this year.

LOL you think that will make a difference? Sony wins WW by a landslide, 360 had Asian devs too, didnt make a diff, and it had a year start and was cheaper. Xbox does nto appeal to areas otuside the US period.

Dredd97

I never said it did. No one was talking about lifetime sales. We're talking about one month. Why are you jumping to conclusions?

Yes, but it's still supply constrained. That means not everyone that wants one will get one.

Probably for the same reasons you have XB1 winning March as a fact...

We won't know who sold what until April, just because your desperate for MS to steamroller Sony doesn't mean it will happen...

Anything can happen in a month... Crap even the WiiU could win March for all we know....

Well I think people are forgetting that Titanfall has been moving Xbox One's since November. I certainly didn't buy this thing in December because I just had to play Ryse: Son of Rome after all. There's going to be a bump and a bump on PS4 for Infamous but not to the degree everyone expects. 400k+ isn't happening.

Exactly, march gonna be some shock to some people.

LOL please, GZ sells way more on sony consoles and will effect sony consoles mroe the a ny other.

Uhhh...and where in my post did I say that wasn't the case?

Probably for the same reasons you have XB1 winning March as a fact...

We won't know who sold what until April, just because your desperate for MS to steamroller Sony doesn't mean it will happen...

Anything can happen in a month... Crap even the WiiU could win March for all we know....

It's not a fact; it's my best guess. I may be eating crow come April, but right now I believe Xbox One will win March.

And lol, I'm not desperate for the Xbox One to outsell the PS4? Why are you so defensive regarding my opinion? My God!

Squalor

LOL you think that will make a difference? Sony wins WW by a landslide, 360 had Asian devs too, didnt make a diff, and it had a year start and was cheaper. Xbox does nto appeal to areas otuside the US period.
I'm so glad you can see into the future, o wise oracle.

How about you not be so blinded? A few of the developers I saw are good at making games that cater to the Asian market.

In my post, I never said the Xbox would win the sales war. I just said Microsoft is making a earnest push to appeal to the international market.

Unfortunately for Microsoft, a lot of the Xbox One's premium media features will be useless to international gamers.

molnizzle

As much as I'd like to say that Sony hardware dominating is great, ensuring a hard lead platform and all, competition gets everyone off their butts. One pain point in particular is that Sony's UI is behind MS's. Media capabilities seem to be lacking too, considering what the PS3 could do.

Important thing is that next gen/this gen is selling well on all sides.

I couldn't disagree more. The PS4 UI is fast, functional and simple. It could use better "sort" capabilities (and the ability to pause downloads), but beyond that it's pretty much perfect. Easy to understand and navigate, everything exactly where you expect it to be. It makes sense.

The Xbone UI is an unmitigated disaster. Shit just thrown around all over the place, no rhyme or reason to it. Gotta use the voice commands to get anything done. Hopefully you don't have an accent.

tkalamba

The game is available digitally on both Xbox One and PC, no real reason to buy from a retailer unless you suffer from data caps or whatnot.

Add that to the fact that the game is also already included with a new xbox thanks to the bundle, and that Amazon is only a single retailer, I don't think amazon's chart means much.

Xis

The 360 was DOA in Japan, but it sold well in Europe and very well in the UK.

Amazing how much anger there is from Sony fans with the PS4 selling better. What do you guys expect? Some kind of 100-1 sales ratio?

I think they are more pissed at the downplaying of any sony sales, more then anything. It seems that no matter how well the ps4 sales, there is always some spin about how it doesn't matter, it's days are numbers, etc.

It's quite fascinating. I, personally, was quite pleased with both consoles sales this month.

I'm so glad you can see into the future, o wise oracle.

How about you not be so blinded? A few of the developers I saw are good at making games that cater to the Asian market.

In my post, I never said the Xbox would win the sales war. I just said Microsoft is making a earnest push to appeal to the international market.

Unfortunately for Microsoft, a lot of the Xbox One's premium media features will be useless to international gamers.

It's common sense....Sony dominates the WW markets, period. Sony will ahve vastly betetr asian support then MS, 360 has lost odyssey and a bunch mroe early on amde zero difference. Plus mainland europe doesn;t care for xbox either.

PhatSaqs

Banned
The Xbone UI is an unmitigated disaster. Shit just thrown around all over the place, no rhyme or reason to it. Gotta use the voice commands to get anything done. Hopefully you don't have an accent.
This is just flat out hyper wrong. I understand if you prefer the PS4 UI, but no need to make shit up or exaggerate.

Dredd97

I personally think it will pull ahead in March and stay there.

Nope, not at a $100 dollars more, it might get a sales bump, but it won't maintain it....let's see April and Mays NPD data before implying the weaker, more expensive console is the sales leader in the US....

See, I'm not really sold on the idea that MS has March won because of Titanfall. You have ~2.5million PS4 owners clammering for a new AAA game, and it is Infamous. It's a great title to pitch up against TF. It will be close again is my estimate, and if X1 wins, it will be by a razer thin margin imo.

Ps4 doesnt need anything to push it it is still sold out yet beating ms in the US...more stock ps4 sales will increase in the US. Also, infamous is the first AAA game next gen, pre-orders are neck and neck WW with TF, it will only push demand further. If sony ships more the win March.

Don't know where you're getting WW preorder numbers for games, but that in the past has proven not accurate at predicting exact sales, and this is NPD thread we are talking about, WW #s are a different matter.

Top Bottom