• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2014 [Up2: PS4/XB1/Wii U/360 Hardware, BD/Poke/DK]

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
PS3+PS4 is 371K.

PS4 ~269K
PS3 ~102K

3DS and Vita combined is between 175K and 180K. I think the guestimates posted in that Y/Y overestimates 3DS and underestimates Vita.

Pretty much every platform saw a pretty big M/M jump, so I would have thought even dead dead Vita will have been dampened by whatever dampened everything else in Jan and would benefit from Feb.

At this point, does it really matter? Even 15000-20000 higher would still be a horrible number.

That is my doubt i don't know if he has NPD numbers or handheld numbers are a estimation.
He doesn't, afaik. And states in the post that they're guesses.
At this point, does it really matter? Even 15000-20000 higher would still be a horrible number.
Obviously; I actually doubt the number is 20K higher, maybe 15K (150K:25K ratio). I'm just pointing out for the purpose of accuracy its a guess and how I think the actual numbers would look.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Would help if Sony would actually show off Borderlands 2 and tell us when the Vita slim is actually gonna release. Then maybe do some marketing for it.

As of now the platform isn't selling, and yet SCEA still is extemely cagey about their next big up and coming game as well as the system redesign.

Chindogg

I thought I remember reading Lego City sold pretty well on both Wii U and 3DS. Your point stands, though.

I really, really wish more people could play LC: Undercover. Other than the ridiculous loading times, it's a fantastic game.

I don't think it did that badly either, but we are in the land of hyperbole here.

Xis

Good morning all. Here are some YOY and Gen over Gen comparisons. The 3DS and PSV numbers are guessed individually, but correct combined. Aren't you glad you're not in the dedicated handheld business?

If the PSV and 3DS #s are just a guess, then you are probably low on the Vita numbers.

In January, Vita sold 17K, and every other console increased from Jan->Feb.

If 3DS/Vita ratio carried from Jan->Feb, then we would be looking at about 150K for 3DS and about 25K for Vita.

jcm

Sorry for the confusion all. I based my 10K vita number on this post. I thought dolemite had access to the actual data, and was giving us an approximation. I will remove those numbers until we get some better data.

Again, I'm sorry for misleading people.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
What are peoples opinions on Vita sales if it had Minecraft exclusive instead of 360. I think it might have saved it in the UK and US.

Not fronting, I dont know why people think MS numbers were good when they couldnt even beat a severely supply consrained PS4. How many units do they have to sell in March to hit that 5 million fiscal target?

Loudninja

Sorry for the confusion all. I based my 10K vita number on this post. I thought dolemite had access to the actual data, and was giving us an approximation. I will remove those numbers until we get some better data.

Again, I'm sorry for misleading people.
Its all good,I don't think it matter either way it still would not be a good number.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
Not fronting, I dont know why people think MS numbers were good when they couldnt even beat a severely supply consrained PS4. How many units do they have to sell in March to hit that 5 million fiscal target?

Look at the NPD prediction thread. They are way above what people thought they would be. Their numbers are good and so are Sony's.

Assuming the PS4 wins the march NPD I don't think Infamous will be the deciding factor. The system already has a lot of pent up demand without it. However I would love to be wrong. World wide seems like a pretty solid bet though due to the addition of the Japan launch.

It won't be a deciding factor because demand for the PS4 will remain strong regardless but the game will add more reason for potential buyers who may be on the fence waiting for decent software. Looks like Japan sales have slowed down and I think Sony is in a much better position now to shift demand to certain territories. They could have limited the amount for North America due to the Japan launch so I expect more to be available for March.

On Demand

Banned

They're good because they're up alot from last month. Still, I don't think MS is going to have the same advantage in the US like last Gen.

sörine

Banned
I'm curious how much it sold on PS4Bone. Certainly not much so Ubisoft will probably not release any numbers.
Someone earlier said the PS4/XB1 versions outsold LOS2 so they're over 55k. I wonder if they already managed to outsell the PS3/360 versions?

I don't see how TF can't push XB1 ahead, it's a big hyped up game that seems to be obviously pushing console sales. The margins have gotten closer in Feb. Infamous has never been a big seller, people have a bit too high expectations from that when it's never been a blockbuster series. And GZ is multi plat. TF is going to push more hardware than SS ever will.

Ps4 doesnt need anything to push it it is still sold out yet beating ms in the US...more stock ps4 sales will increase in the US. Also, infamous is the first AAA game next gen, pre-orders are neck and neck WW with TF, it will only push demand further. If sony ships more the win March.

Really glad MS did well, hopefully shake Sony out of complacency.

This Gen is far from won.

E3 should shed more light on things.

Yes it is...Sony is too strong in europe and japan, Ms is really just an american console. Its why a year late expensive disaster Ps3 still caught up and passed 360 despite having almost every disadvantage.

When you look at it that way, it has the legs of a flea. Yikes.

It never had any "legs". The only reason it's as high as it is now is because every retailer like ever had it on sale for $15-20 for a week in December. That's where the spike comes from. Otherwise, it would have been charting at ~3k a month like it has been since.

And this is coming from a guy who loves the game, but let's be serious here.

I don't see TitanFall pushing XB1 into the number 1 spot in March.
I would say otherwise if PS4 had no software and was still supplied constrained, no longer the case for March.
With SS and GZ launching a week after TF, I expect the same ratios for March that we had in February.
PS4>>>XB1>>>>>>>>>>>>WiiU.

Xbox One should easily win March. Titanfall is a huge system seller. The PS4 is still supply constrained, not sure why you think otherwise...

Infamous has never been a system seller, don't think that will change this time around. GZ...really? That is not exclusive and will definitely not push consoles.

Other notes, I'm shocked that Donkey Kong appears to have been a system seller. Who would have thought? And very happy to see good numbers for Bravely Default. I've yet to pick it up but it's definitely on my radar

Bravely Default is only 10th place? Mrgrgr! Unacceptable!

But in all honesty, I'm really glad that Lightning Returns and Bravely Default made the list at all. Both games are really great! I just wish Tales of Symphonia Chronicles made it, even if it released so late in the month.

Curufinwe

As much as I'd like to say that Sony hardware dominating is great, ensuring a hard lead platform and all, competition gets everyone off their butts. One pain point in particular is that Sony's UI is behind MS's. Media capabilities seem to be lacking too, considering what the PS3 could do.

Important thing is that next gen/this gen is selling well on all sides.

You're confusing sales parity with competition.

Xbox One should easily win March. Titanfall is a huge system seller. The PS4 is still supply constrained, not sure why you think otherwise...

Infamous has never been a system seller, don't think that will change this time around. GZ...really? That is not exclusive and will definitely not push consoles.

Other notes, I'm shocked that Donkey Kong appears to have been a system seller. Who would have thought? And very happy to see good numbers for Bravely Default. I've yet to pick it up but it's definitely on my radar

Not this again, ps4 doesnt need a system seller. FEB was the worst month for stock, march US has been getting much steadier stock. Infamous is also the first AAA on Ps4 and sony is marketing it hard, it's pre-orders and on apr WW with titanfall. If sony has supply it can take march easily.

tkalamba

Why no TitanFall sales PR yet? Don't they usually like to brag if the sales are good?

They are probably waiting for all of Tier One to actually have had the game released, I think it only just launched today in Europe if I'm not mistaken. They'll want to use WW sales numbers. I expect something early next week.

Not this again, ps4 doesnt need a system seller. FEB was the worst month for stock, march US has been getting much steadier stock. Infamous is also the first AAA on Ps4 and sony is marketing it hard, it's pre-orders and on apr WW with titanfall. If sony has supply it can take march easily.

But it won't have the supply to take March, especially with Titanfall out and moving Xbox One consoles off the shelves. March belongs to Xbox One.

I'm curious about Infamous sales. PS4 owners are starved for content and it's easily the best looking console game yet. I doubt it will do much for the hardware but I guess that also depends on marketing, considering how good it looks they could convince people that they need a PS4 to play that game. Since they are still supply constrained though they might not bother.

Deku Tree

That would look pretty bad for Xbox one if they can't even take March NPD, the month when their huge third-party exclusive titanfall comes out and they had it bundled with their hardware at a discount.

Cheech

If there are retailers who want to sell the ps4, but can't due to inability to get units from Sony, then it's supply constrained. There are, so it is.

The online arms of B&M stores being out of stock is a meaningless fact.

Fact is, I could walk into nearly any Gamestop, Target, Walmart, or Best Buy in my area and pick up a PS4. The "supply constrained" thing doesn't hold water if you're just looking at online sources.

Otherwise, you could say the Xbone Controller is also "supply constrained", as Amazon has been sold out for a few days now. I'm guessing there are hundreds to be found in local B&M stores, however.

I honestly don't know why this topic is so important to people. Sure, there is a decent continued demand for the PS4. But since we don't know how many they're actually shipping here compared to the rest of the world, it's impossible to measure true demand. Xbones clearly have much better demand than we thought as well, given NPDs, it just means Microsoft did a better job with supply.

?? Many reports is sony has had their biggest shipment since the holidays to the US

Not shocking since we're past the holiday season, but it will still be supply constrained. No doubt about that. Shelves aren't going to be magically flushed with stock in the next couple of weeks, when they've been barren for the past several months.

Only launched today in UK I think. I think it should have done 1m WW, so maybe waiting till 360 launch for 2m announcement?

The only metric we've got of Titanfall sales right now is that it's somewhere in the hundreds of thousands range. During the UK launch of Titanfall, Xbox UK marketing director said 'hundreds of thousands' have been playing since Tuesday.

So prior to UK launch, Titanfall is 1million > x > 100k. ( Obviously it's nowhere close to the lower side of the number )

Top Bottom