• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2016

onQ123

Looks like xbone sales are only going downhill from here. Ouch.

I wouldn't say that because things could turn around with a Xbox One slim at a cheaper price.

But the only thing I worry about is if MS think it will be worth it to do the slim or just move on.

Sterok

If we're looking for a topic, how's Far Cry Primal shaping up to do? I don't think either side has marketing on that one, at least from what I've noticed.

Shenmue

Banned
I wouldn't say that because things could turn around with a Xbox One slim at a cheaper price.

But the only thing I worry about is if MS think it will be worth it to do the slim or just move on.

The slim has probably been in R&D for quite some time by now. I don't think that will be an issue.

cyber_ninja

I don't think that slim model is going to do anything because previous models are pretty reliable; they might be freaking huge, but they aren't breaking down.

Ridley327

If we're looking for a topic, how's Far Cry Primal shaping up to do? I don't think either side has marketing on that one, at least from what I've noticed.

It will probably do OK in the long run, but I really think the quick turnaround from announcement to release isn't conducive to building hype. Ubi has put in-store marketing materials out there, but it's a really weird way to go about one of their strongest and most consistent IPs in their roster. I think it's getting just one week's worth of sales for the February reporting period, which is going to cause somewhat undue criticism.

Unknown?

I don't think that slim model is going to do anything because previous models are pretty reliable; they might be freaking huge, but they aren't breaking down.
Plus any price drop and revision is likely to be matched by Sony. If MS drops to $299 permanently in spring, I see Sony doing a $299 Uncharted bundle.

Maniel

Banned
So the gap is huge this month. Up until the holiday sales season, the xbox one had been selling around 10% less than the ps4 on a monthly basis. Now that the ps4 took a more substantial lead with the holidays and the prices are the same again, I wonder if the ps4 will really start acting like a market leading console and selling much more monthly.

demigod

980ti is included in the recommended specs for Quantum Break PC. I think there's a lot less overlap than people seem to think. Sure, they might lose the occasional console sale, but how many software sales are they getting now that the game is releasing on another platform? Think of that and then ask yourself why consoles exist in the first place.

Take your own advice and think for yourself why exclusives exist in the first place.

I mean, the world has a birthrate of 4.3/s, so new children getting old enough for Minecraft aren't exactly a rare phenomenon.

Plus, you know, even the best selling games of all time have scarcely tapped into the overall population.

So there's always more people to sell it to.

On the plus side to everything... SW ASPs are holding strong, attach rates are good, packaged games are selling as well as they ever have. Hell, some packaged games are selling better than any have historically. Just a lot fewer packaged games. SW sales for the top 10 are pretty good (although I haven't compared to other Jans yet, they seem pretty good). Siege sticking is interesting, GTA/COD legs strong. TTL seemed to have a strong accessories month. There's not a lot to not like in the SW.

onQ123

a slim would bring a price drop & cool factor that will move more units even if it's from return buyers.

Hoje0308

Banned
Take your own advice and think for yourself why exclusives exist in the first place.

It's a good thing MS had all those exclusives last fall and managed to beat Sony in number of consoles sales, right? Exclusives don't drive hardware sales nearly as much as some of you still like to believe.
The whole point of generating more console sales is to sell more software. This deal allows MS to do just that.

Sterok

I don't think there's much reason to care about how Nintendo does in the short run by now honestly. Outside of March and whenever the hell Pokemon Z releases they're just going to have a shit year, even worse on both fronts than last year. Sucks, but there's nothing they can do to climb back up this year.

3DS really does need a price drop though.

The next month will probably be the same. Since nothing major appealing to the mainstream coming out this month. Maybe SFV will take 8-10th place but I highly doubt it.

Why are you so worried, friend?

Not worried, just want to see Nintendo do decently for a change. And hopefully NX will allow for that.

I'm also tired of not having much to play on my Nintendo systems...a new console hopefully means lots of new games from the big N.

demigod

It's a good thing MS had all those exclusives last fall and managed to beat Sony in number of consoles sales, right? Exclusives don't drive hardware sales nearly as much as some of you still like to believe.
The whole point of generating more console sales is to sell more software. This deal allows MS to do just that.

Point is, without exclusives, they wouldn't be where they're at right now. Without exclusives, Wii U wouldn't have sold half that. And exactly how are they generating more console sales when they lost a sale due to their exclusive going to PC?

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
It's hard to quantify exclusives because you can't easily prove what games anyone buys their console for, especially with just the top 10. They're certainly huge for Nintendo and I think they get underestimated with Sony as well. Ratchet & Clank and Uncharted 4 aren't going anywhere and are big deals, with the former getting a major motion picture the same month. PS4 gets a tonne of niche games too that appeal to many specific niches. It all adds up, but it's hard to prove if you just look at the top 3 every month in particular. The most dedicated consumers, which all of the big three definitely want, certainly care. Exclusives are huge for getting gamers into your ecosystem.

Top Bottom