• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2013 [Up5: BioShock Infinite]

http://www.gamespot.com/news/npd-bioshock-infinite-soars-to-top-spot-in-march-us-sales-6407248

"Two strong launches for the month included Tomb Raider and BioShock Infinite, which were the highest first month sales for games in these franchises," Callahan said.​

Someone look for their past results. =P

It's irrelevant if both of those titles missed their sales forecasts and are losing the companies money. :p

BioShock - launched August 2007 NPD - 490,900
BioShock 2 - launched February 2010 NPD - 562,900

BioShock Infinite sales > 562,900

burgerdog

They don't even mention Wonderful 101 either. Bastards.

So does that mean it's coming after pikmin if they're willing to give us that release date and not w101's? Launch window my ass, thanks for lying to us! If it wasn't for MH3U I'd be extremely disappointed in my purchase.

MLB 13 seems to be down significantly from last year. Sports games have suffered more from this extended console cycle than any other genre. Of course, it may have benefited from being a Vita launch title last year and getting a lot of television advertisement.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Oh so... possibly not good 3DS numbers.

That is not a good future unfolding before them.

Kusagari

Pikmin could either overperform because it will be by far the biggest Wii U game, and that's kind of sad as much as I love Pikmin, since launch or bomb hard.

antonz

I don't see how the 3DS could be up YOY in dollars when it had hardware launch at a massive discount and the other XLs on sale for same price. The Regular 3DS was also heavily discounted down to 129 for that week. Retailers across the country were price matching and selling briskly

Metallix87

A Nintendo system without Nintendo games. What were they thinking?

Well, third parties constantly bitch and moan about how Nintendo games overshadow their own games, so Nintendo released the 3DS without a big Nintendo game and it struggled for quite a while. Then gamers complained about how a Mario game was needed to launch a new system, so Nintendo launched the Wii U with Mario and not much else to leave room for third parties. Gamers complained about the lack of third party titles, and third parties, despite being seemingly gung-ho on the system early on, were mostly phoning it in at launch, if that.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I don't know, they talkes about sales for 3DS, not dollar spending. And the last week of the month the platform saw big deals for both OG and XL.

liger05

Hopefully Nintendo can generate some excitement for Wii U at E3. The launch has been a complete disaster.

Nice to see Luigi selling well, though. Maybe we won't have to wait another 12 years for LM3.

They have the potential titles to have a good E3. Its all about the execution though and Reggie really isnt the guy to get the job done on stage!!

Unfortunate if Lego City bombed, but unsurprising. Lego titles seem like they sell best on platforms that have a large library of other family-friendly software, and this one lacks multiplayer, which provides much of the franchise's appeal.

Anno

Probably old by this point, but an interesting snippet from Reggie.

"We have 15 Nintendo-published titles available, both physically and digitally [on the 3DS]," he says. "So far in 2013, of those 15 available in this format, 11 percent of sales have come through full digital downloads of those games."

Hiltz

Lego City was the only potential title that could have sold decently for Wii U in March, and it didn't even make the top 10 NPD. Man, I don't even want to look at how poorly Wii U hardware sales will be.

Iwata, you'll be on your knees during the next investor's meeting. Th first half of the year is gonna suck hard.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Don't underestimate this killer release list until September.

05/21 Fast & Furious: Showdown
LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes
Resident Evil: Revelations
05/24 Sniper Elite V2

06/23 Game & Wario

07/16 Turbo: Super Stunt Squad
07/23 The Smurfs 2

08/04 Pikmin 3
08/06 Disney Planes
08/20 Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist

This time, Nintendo really IS fucking doomed.

Metallix87

Okay, I'm sorry, let me re-phrase that.

ARE THEY FUCKING STUPID?

Probably. Nintendo makes excellent games, and seemingly indestructible hardware, but it seems like they lack logic when it comes to system launches and third party relations. I'm sure the Wii U will be fine, and the situation rectified moving forward, but Nintendo should definitely take a long, hard look at what went wrong with the 3DS and Wii U launches for future reference. Never trust third parties again when it comes to the launch of a new system, that's for sure.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Please Cream, give us Monster Hunter numbers! They said they've been decent, come on!

Lego City was the only potential title that could have sold decently for Wii U in March, and it didn't even make the top 10 NPD. Man, I don't even want to look at how poorly Wii U hardware sales will be.

Iwata, you'll be on your knees during the next investor's meeting. Th first half of the year is gonna suck hard.
Next week aka firing time.

Linkhero1

05/24 Sniper Elite V2

06/23 Game & Wario

07/23 The Smurfs 2

08/04 Pikmin 3
08/06 Disney Planes

Dat shit list. I'm sure they'll throw some things in there, but it's a sad sight.

liger05

Reggie has done it before he can do it again. Nintendo just has to supply him. Not with no batmans and assassin creeds either.

Deux Ex is coming so be prepared.

05/24 Sniper Elite V2

06/23 Game & Wario

07/23 The Smurfs 2

08/04 Pikmin 3
08/06 Disney Planes

Criminal!!

Arsenic

Surprised GoW and Gears are so high. Nobody really even knew they were coming, iirc. Not much hype!

Good for Bioshock! Good to see great games get rewarded.

BioShock at #1, excellent.

Good for Bioshock, it deserves it.

I dont want to be a party pooper, but just because Bioshock charted at #1 doesn't make it a success whatsoever.

If it did sell at the estimated 650k i do feel the industry (mostly publishers) would view it as a failure, and the result is less games of its nature and more games like fucking COD.

Now the painful wait for the official numbers...

Darryl

Banned
Pikmin could either overperform because it will be by far the biggest Wii U game, and that's kind of sad as much as I love Pikmin, since launch or bomb hard.

i hope Pikmin does good. it should be really easy for them to advertise to value of the series. if it sells worse than the last entries into the series, i'm gonna be really diappointed.

Probably. Nintendo makes excellent games, and seemingly indestructible hardware, but it seems like they lack logic when it comes to system launches and third party relations. I'm sure the Wii U will be fine, and the situation rectified moving forward, but Nintendo should definitely take a long, hard look at what went wrong with the 3DS and Wii U launches for future reference. Never trust third parties again when it comes to the launch of a new system, that's for sure.
Did Nintendo say anything at all regarding giving "space" for 3rd party games to breathe during the Wii U launch? Seems like this is all based on PR speak from the middle of the Wii generation, during THAT long drought.

Top Bottom